Andrei Kuzmenko

phoenix66

I figured he'd need his own thread. He's gonna be a talking point one way or the other while hes here ..

Listened to Bruce Boudreau on the Marek show yesterday..they specifically asked him what does Calgary need to do to get the best out of him..

Points made ... He loves to score , he's not brutal but his D is not something to write home about.

Said he's great from below the line , gets into the dirty areas..will instinctively be found in the best scoring position... The issue is getting someone who can get the pass to him when he gets there.. he scored the lights out with Petterson feeding him....he specifically said Huberdeau could be exactly what he needs ..and vice versa 

They asked about his "slowness "..and he did say the Canucks had to get his conditioning up . Figured the flames will be attentive to that as well ..

Figures he slipped under Tocchet because he is not a Tocchet player ..he will make mistakes on zone entries ..defensive brain sneezes ..not a 200ft player ..but if you play him for what he is ..hes a sniper that will hit the net if he can get the puck on his stick.. he's a finisher not a playmaker ..  his best production comes when he's playing top power play and getting 16+ min a night ..

Calgary is perfectly set up to give him all he was no longer getting in Vancouver 

25 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. (39 in his rookie season is close enough for me)

1cd101fb0a39ee02fa3375838360f1dc.png
https://gyazo.com/1cd101fb0a39ee02fa3375838360f1dc

Those of you wanting to trade him somewhere right away, should consider that this year might only be his sophomore jinx or his coaching change. We have a little time to figure that out...

This is my thinking... Obviously a 27% shp is not sustainable but what it tells me is he makes his shots count . They'll likely be on him to shoot more ..generate rebounds for others to pick up too.. 

Much like sharangovich, he produced in jersey when he played up the lineup due to injuries ..got pp time .. then slid down the lineup when top players were back and that all decreased.. same thing happened with Andrei in Vancouver .. moved off the top line.. benched for his defense shortcomings ..   place him back on the top lines.. let him have pp time .and Savard will have this guy playing his game not a structure 

And as a side note...that does always frustrate me in this group..every player we have ever traded for ... The posts immediately start about moving him out ... Let the guy wear the jersey for a few games FFS haha

Looking forward to his scoring and work in close, something the Flames are lacking.  Could be like "Magic Man", Kent Nillson,

for those of you that go back a few decades.  Look, the Flames not making the playoffs for a couple of years, might as well entertain the fans and work on building more skill and excitement into the Flames line-up.

3 minutes ago, cberg said:

Looking forward to his scoring and work in close, something the Flames are lacking.  Could be like "Magic Man", Kent Nillson,

for those of you that go back a few decades.  Look, the Flames not making the playoffs for a couple of years, might as well entertain the fans and work on building more skill and excitement into the Flames line-up.

God I miss him...  Funny you Shoujd bring him up... Google his crossbar challenge sometime 

They brought him.up on the Marek show yesterday too in regards to the new " skills champion " format they're doing at the ASG this year ..he was Mareks pick as a player from the past whod clean up at the event ... Even Gretzky called him the most talented player to ever play in the NHL.. if only his motivation and killer instinct matched his skill 

While yes it was his first year last year I think what gets missed about Kuzmenko is he’s about to turn 28 and a UFa next year. He doesn’t exactly line up as a core piece you want moving forward. 

I think that’s why most want to see him rebuild his value and be moved. He doesn’t really fit where this team should be going. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

While yes it was his first year last year I think what gets missed about Kuzmenko is he’s about to turn 28 and a UFa next year. He doesn’t exactly line up as a core piece you want moving forward. 

I think that’s why most want to see him rebuild his value and be moved. He doesn’t really fit where this team should be going. 

Thank you.  Exactly.  I'm glad someone said it.

There should be no scenario where Kuzmenko regains his scoring touch in the next two months and the Flames extent him for 7 more years.  This is our Sean Monahan.  This is where Kuzmenko turns into another first round pick for us down the road.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Thank you.  Exactly.  I'm glad someone said it.

There should be no scenario where Kuzmenko regains his scoring touch in the next two months and the Flames extent him for 7 more years.  This is our Sean Monahan.  This is where Kuzmenko turns into another first round pick for us down the road.

I can think of a few scenario where I might.

How about he and Hubby click? Nobody has really  made any noise with Hubby "yet"

I agree that the next 70-80 games should be all-about rebuilding Kuzmenko's value. Someone has to score on bad teams and he has enough talent for it to be him.

Turn him into an asset for next season at the TDL. Not sure he will ever return a 1st, even as a rental. But you turn him into a 2nd and 3rd. All of a sudden that Lindholm deal turns into a 1,2,3,4 Brzustewicz and Jurmo. Not bad.

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't think anybody is planning his re-signing either ..but to be already planning his movement is ridiculous ...let's actually see what he is first and then see what happens .. Connie stated he wants our window open when we open play in the new building. That's some aggressive building ..and you always need players who produce ..

Again ..so many scenarios 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't think anybody is planning his re-signing either ..but to be already planning his movement is ridiculous ...let's actually see what he is first and then see what happens .. Connie stated he wants our window open when we open play in the new building. That's some aggressive building ..and you always need players who produce ..

Again ..so many scenarios 

it’s actually just asset management. Making short term decisions is a huge reason why this club continues to spin its wheels. Wanting this club to manage their assets better isn’t ridiculous. 

again no one is saying move this guy asap. Club should do whatever they can to make him successful. Just should not be viewed as a long term asset. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

it’s actually just asset management. Making short term decisions is a huge reason why this club continues to spin its wheels. Wanting this club to manage their assets better isn’t ridiculous. 

again no one is saying move this guy asap. Club should do whatever they can to make him successful. Just should not be viewed as a long term asset. 

So . If he clicks and has 60 Goals between now and next year's deadline ..and with it Hubie is back to a 80-90 pt player because of it .....    You're punting him?

And yes .. the ink hadn't even dried on the trade announcement and people were already asking what we can flip him for 

32 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So . If he clicks and has 60 Goals between now and next year's deadline ..and with it Hubie is back to a 80-90 pt player because of it .....    You're punting him?

And yes .. the ink hadn't even dried on the trade announcement and people were already asking what we can flip him for 

Yup because I’m not gonna pay 7mill plus for that especially with term for a turning 30 year old player. 

That scenario has a less than one percent change of happening but even if it doesn’t I’ll gladly take the increased trade value. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup because I’m not gonna pay 7mill plus for that especially with term for a turning 30 year old player. 

That scenario has a less than one percent change of happening but even if it doesn’t I’ll gladly take the increased trade value. 

So knowing now we are only dealing with a 3 year retool window.. how do you propose we become a contender in that time frame without the luxury of longer time to develop draft picks ?..the ones we draft this year have the highest probability of being in that first game 

The consideration for Kuzmenko being flipped is simply thinking aloud. It has nothing to do with wanting to move him right away, simply considering the possibility.

Asset management appears to be improving with Conroy as GM, so it should be a consideration that he could be a moveable piece before his contract expires. 

If there is an offer or opportunity to move him for a piece that makes sense for the Flames, you take that for sure. It is not actively shopping him, but being open is not a bad thing.

I honestly hope he clicks well with Huberdeau, but I also would limit any future contracts. 5-6 mil for 3-4 years is reasonable. More than 5 years and over 7 would be overpay for what he brings, even if he helps Huberdeau get back to form.

23 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

The consideration for Kuzmenko being flipped is simply thinking aloud. It has nothing to do with wanting to move him right away, simply considering the possibility.

Asset management appears to be improving with Conroy as GM, so it should be a consideration that he could be a moveable piece before his contract expires. 

If there is an offer or opportunity to move him for a piece that makes sense for the Flames, you take that for sure. It is not actively shopping him, but being open is not a bad thing.

I honestly hope he clicks well with Huberdeau, but I also would limit any future contracts. 5-6 mil for 3-4 years is reasonable. More than 5 years and over 7 would be overpay for what he brings, even if he helps Huberdeau get back to form.

Exactly..and this is all I'm saying...let's get these players in here ..see what they can do.. cross bridges when they come . ..  if he's a stud next year .. absolutely sign him..of course be smart about it.. some people here would trade McDavid the day he turns 28 ..

Many here had Huberdeau shipped off to Montreal the next day..hanifin has been. Proposed before he put the jersey on.. it's nearly every trade made ..

I'm beginning to understand why some Flames Fans will never get anywhere with their team building thinking.

When I said 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. Lets look at our results:

163d7cdebafbb0083f97072d3eb8b5fc.png

2a6c8094748acd5c549f6bdff6e8cf11.png

f8fbd3cc394f2c44a70d160e31833b6e.png<<<<

57f8ada40b846916efa9000d86f685f9.png

dde9bd3cdd3c02f7b0173229616be065.png

4ff45f6cf7552011ee0c319049e2a409.png

4272e2967ce343949d6242c8627718d5.png

229c96889bdc75b71fff3d027ccea864.png

5e8ad04795fb8fc81f49c7b552f2e642.png

5710d32c7d5659f308529fc46afd389c.png

e41de17af6956af6410aad11cbd047a8.png

6a2c37ee998f12385c281f36668698b7.png

8577c58867a4207730ded6371af73117.png

6db419ef294a573a55d531e54980f7ed.png<<<<<<<<

So in 2021-22 season we were blessed with 3 40 goal scorers. We haven't had one since and you have to go back to Iggy's 2010-11 season to find the previous one.

Some of you still want to trade him if he shows he is capable of getting in that range again for the Flames......

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So knowing now we are only dealing with a 3 year retool window.. how do you propose we become a contender in that time frame without the luxury of longer time to develop draft picks ?..the ones we draft this year have the highest probability of being in that first game 

it’s really simple. You don’t. 

the only way this club is going to become a contender is the draft. Either they are bad enough to get lower picks or they get enough picks through the draft to hopefully get lucky with another Gaudreau type. Failung all of that you get enough marketable assets that maybe you can pull of some trades. 

you don’t get to contending status by overpaying 30 year olds. That’s how you stay middling. Which is why I’m more interested in whatever Kuzmenko can return then I am in keeping him. 

Just now, cross16 said:

it’s really simple. You don’t. 

the only way this club is going to become a contender is the draft. Either they are bad enough to get lower picks or they get enough picks through the draft to hopefully get lucky with another Gaudreau type. Failung all of that you get enough marketable assets that maybe you can pull of some trades. 

you don’t get to contending status by overpaying 30 year olds. That’s how you stay middling. Which is why I’m more interested in whatever Kuzmenko can return then I am in keeping him. 

Well then we have a pickle don't we ... Conroy is on record as essentially saying his marching orders is to put a contender on the ice when we skate onto the new ice ..with construction starting this year that's now projected ad the 26-27 season...

So you bring in the kids ..let them grow and compwte and learn from the vets .. at some point those prospects we draft (or the picks before we draft ) after this season will likely be flipped for established players and more game ready prospects 

You need veteran D to bring the kids along and insulate scoring from players who may bleed chances .. we've seen Kadri with Zary .. Huberdeau to a degree with yegor.. (I personally want to see him with Pelletier too) ..I'm extremely intrigued whether he and Andrei can mesh ..  we will never be bad enough to draft a Conner (nor is there one on the horizon I'm told ) ... You lose our the vets as soon as they get older next thing you know it's young guns all over again