2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Assuming Dickinson isn't available Zeev Buium is my favorite Dman. 

Yeah I like the cut of your jib, there. Those are the 2 + Levshunov I'd take in the top 8. The others are a bit sketch for me that high if Catton is still on the board, or whoever may fall. Parekh is a bit of a wildcard. A team or 2 may get dreamy with his unreal O stats. I don't want him at 8 for us, though. I see a future Ghostisbehere. That D needs serious work. He's pretty far removed from the D Hughes bros at the same age.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah I like the cut of your jib, there. Those are the 2 + Levshunov I'd take in the top 8. The others are a bit sketch for me that high if Catton is still on the board, or whoever may fall. Parekh is a bit of a wildcard. A team or 2 may get dreamy with his unreal O stats. I don't want him at 8 for us, though. I see a future Ghostisbehere. That D needs serious work. He's pretty far removed from the D Hughes bros at the same age.

If we had to guess,

Celebrini

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Lindstrom

Dickinson 

Gone by 8.

Not saying they go in that order but they will be gone by 8.  Catton and Buium are the two best of the rest.  If we can get any of them, then that's the best pick.  I hope we get Buium.  Unfortunately, both might be gone too.

And so, draft starts at 8...

Eiserman, Silayev, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Helenius, and Iginla.

Who to pick here?

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we had to guess,

Celebrini

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Lindstrom

Dickinson 

Gone by 8.

Not saying they go in that order but they will be gone by 8.  Catton and Buium are the two best of the rest.  If we can get any of them, then that's the best pick.  I hope we get Buium.  Unfortunately, both might be gone too.

Who to pick here?

Flames will have a brooding 6'5" LW they've reached by 5 spots, who needs work on his foot speed and foot work... 

Id like to see them start drafting dynamic players now. BPA is safe, but I dunno. There are no sure-fire stars outside of the top of drafts, but the Flames only operate in the 5-10 range with building or tooling in the re- periods. Bennett  and drafting  4th was unusual for the team... 

How do you get elite outside of those top picks? 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Flames will have a brooding 6'5" LW they've reached by 5 spots, who needs work on his foot speed and foot work... 

Id like to see them start drafting dynamic players now. BPA is safe, but I dunno. There are no sure-fire stars outside of the top of drafts, but the Flames only operate in the 5-10 range with building or tooling in the re- periods. Bennett  and drafting  4th was unusual for the team... 

How do you get elite outside of those top picks? 

This is based off of?

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we had to guess,

Celebrini

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Lindstrom

Dickinson 

Gone by 8.

Who to pick here?

Personally, I'd move away from D at that point. I like all of those players, but I'd have to go with Catton, purely for creativity and being a play driver. A fair bit more than the others. There isn't a "bad" pick at fwd there though, just where your needs lie. I think, at worst, you're getting a future 2C. Same as Helenius, but he is more complimentary than running the show like Catton. Still a fantastic player though. For a snipe, I'd really be at a loss between Eiserman and Iginla. I've seen Eiserman live half a dozen times and he's been a holy terror every time. So my bias leans that way, but it's a bias. All 3 of those D are a reach at 8 for me though.

I'd likely just as soon take a fwd and start thinking about where Mews might land. Pulkkinen, Fibigr and Badinka are 3 others I'd be considering once Mews is gone/later picks. Cristiforo has really fallen off the map from being on a god-awful team. He could be a nice mid-rder pick. I'm not picking all D, lol. Just naming a few that would be decent swings.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we had to guess,

Celebrini

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Lindstrom

Dickinson 

Gone by 8.

Who to pick here?

If the Flames manage to lose out their final three(unlikely) they would have a very good shot at dropping 1-3 spots, and one of those top7 would definitely be available.  If they win out they’ll probably drop to 10th or 11th, resulting in 2-3 of these guys available.  

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'm making an obvious joke.

We also only got a player with elite skills in the 4th round, so no stars in the first for how many years?

Tkachuk has no elite skills?  hard to believe you can get that many points over the past 3 years with no elite skills.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'm making an obvious joke.

We also only got a player with elite skills in the 4th round, so no stars in the first for how many years?

Some would call Tkachuk elite. Though I think we need to define who the, "elite" players in the league are.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry, you're saying Catton's gone....erm, umm, erm, umm Helenius I think. But that's a tough question between those 3 fwds. I'm not sold on my answer. lol

Helenius looks like a good player.  RHS C too so that's a bonus.  He's not a guy who can move the box in the offensive zone with fakes and deception but he is good at finding the soft zone and finding openings within the box.  His highlights do show good anticipation (can recognize who is going to get the puck next and cheat towards them early).  He looks like a solid two-way 2nd line Center.  He's a bit smaller at 5'11" but he's smart enough to make up for it.

35 minutes ago, cberg said:

If the Flames manage to lose out their final three(unlikely) they would have a very good shot at dropping 1-3 spots, and one of those top7 would definitely be available.  If they win out they’ll probably drop to 10th or 11th, resulting in 2-3 of these guys available.  

Almost impossible to lose all 4 games considering ANA and SJS are on the schedule.  We need to lose to ANA tonight badly.  The more you study the draft, the more it feels like there's a top 5 + 2... drafting 8 is nice but we might just miss on a real solid prospect for a more risky one.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Almost impossible to lose all 4 games considering ANA and SJS are on the schedule.  We need to lose to ANA tonight badly.  The more you study the draft, the more it feels like there's a top 5 + 2... drafting 8 is nice but we might just miss on a real solid prospect for a more risky one.

I love it.  Anytime you say this team can't lose games against teams they go out and prove you wrong, keep doing what you are doing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Helenius looks like a good player.  RHS C too so that's a bonus.  He's not a guy who can move the box in the offensive zone with fakes and deception but he is good at finding the soft zone and finding openings within the box.  His highlights do show good anticipation (can recognize who is going to get the puck next and cheat towards them early).  He looks like a solid two-way 2nd line Center.  He's a bit smaller at 5'11" but he's smart enough to make up for it.

Agreed, I watched some Liiga and SHL action this year. Also caught some of the 4 Nations tourney games live.

Every year is the same to me in how they rate drafts as exceptional, avg etc. I always feel like they're all average - really good 17-18, 19yos.

I'm pretty pumped for what we can take away from this draft. Conroy's added some really nice slots. Uncertain how he'll pull in more for next year, but that's why I want him to not concern himself with making trades to up the ante this go around. We'll need more swings next year too. Build up assets.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I love it.  Anytime you say this team can't lose games against teams they go out and prove you wrong, keep doing what you are doing.

I wish.  SJS, ANA, and CHI are in a league of their own.  They are not NHL teams.

4-point game against ARZ coming up.  But it likely doesn't matter because the Flames will win their final game of the season against SJS.  I just hope we don't accidentally pass SEA in the standings or something.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I wish.  SJS, ANA, and CHI are in a league of their own.  They are not NHL teams.

4-point game against ARZ coming up.  But it likely doesn't matter because the Flames will win their final game of the season against SJS.  I just hope we don't accidentally pass SEA in the standings or something.

Looks like we will be in the Yakemchuk or TJ range just like I was hoping a month ago.

7 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Looks like we will be in the Yakemchuk or TJ range just like I was hoping a month ago.

Hopefully we land TJ…but that said there are teams That may draft him higher than 8th he’s on the exact same trajectory as his dad, and the entire NHL knows how good his dad was.

its not a lock that Tij will be as good as his dad, but pedigree dose seem to work out in the NHL, often times the next gen is even better…

personally I think Cgy’s smart play here is to Go hard after Tij…even if they win the lottery trade the top pick acquire another pick in 2025, move down a few notches and grab Tij…my asking price if I were Cgy and won the lottery is top 5 pick in 2024 and a 2025 first 

• Like 2

My current D ranks:

Levshunov

Dickinson

Buium

Silayev

Parekh

Jiricek

Hutson

Kiviharju

Wallenius

Skahan

Mews

Pulkkinen

Yakemchuk

Freij

Badinka

Fibigr

Emery

Elick

Kleber

Pretty much locked in on the top 8. A bit mixed on the next 11. No one will agree on Yakemchuk, though I feel that I'm being generous. Reason - he's with Pulkkinen because I think both are near their development peaks. Pulkkinen's ahead because he's a much better defender. Yakemchuk should maybe move to wing. He's boom or bust for me. The next level will be waaay harder for guys like him and Parekh. They won't be doing whatever they feel like doing, like they both do now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Hopefully we land TJ…but that said there are teams That may draft him higher than 8th he’s on the exact same trajectory as his dad, and the entire NHL knows how good his dad was.

its not a lock that Tij will be as good as his dad, but pedigree dose seem to work out in the NHL, often times the next gen is even better…

personally I think Cgy’s smart play here is to Go hard after Tij…even if they win the lottery trade the top pick acquire another pick in 2025, move down a few notches and grab Tij…my asking price if I were Cgy and won the lottery is top 5 pick in 2024 and a 2025 first 

100% on board.

However, for consistency, if we do draft him I will definitely create a thread complaining about drafting a LHS winger, it will be a good way to get some of the others on board because they will have no choice but to "rush to his defence"

since we won't have any defence

see what i did there

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My current D ranks:

Levshunov

Dickinson

Buium

Silayev

Parekh

Jiricek

Hutson

Kiviharju

Wallenius

Skahan

Mews

Pulkkinen

Yakemchuk

Freij

Badinka

Fibigr

Emery

Elick

Kleber

Pretty much locked in on the top 8. A bit mixed on the next 11. No one will agree on Yakemchuk, though I feel that I'm being generous. Reason - he's with Pulkkinen because I think both are near their development peaks. Pulkkinen's ahead because he's a much better defender. Yakemchuk should maybe move to wing. He's boom or bust for me. The next level will be waaay harder for guys like him and Parekh. They won't be doing whatever they feel like doing, like they both do now.

Nah, scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey.  Yakemchuk can do this.  But yes, he's not high IQ and doesn't defend well.  RW sounds like where he should be. Shades of Dion Phaneuf in some ways.  Still, Yakemchuk has an elite snipe from distance.  He's a rare perimeter shooting threat from the point, something the Flames are missing badly.  Teams are going to pick him very high and forgive the defending shortfalls.  Plus, the 6'-3" frame, grit, and coveted RHS.

Dickinson has some of the same problems too.  He's very Noah Hanifin.  Has all the tools but he's "raw"... Same with Valimaki.  Always raw and needs more seasoning.  But Hanifin never really got it.  Settled in as a 2/3 guy at the NHL level.  Valimaki is only finally coming around too after all these years.

11 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Picking Tij feels like the right thing to do.

But picking Tij also means our rebuild will take much longer because we are missing elite D to get us out of the rebuild.  We have Huberdeau and Honzek on LW for the next 7 years.