2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sarnia traded Martone 2 seasons ago for Ethan Del Mastro. Made sense at the time. Now?😭

Martone is an awesome player. Will be really interested to see what he has in store next year.

I think just about every junior team has made a deal like that. Swift traded a 1st rounder to Regina, that ended up being Bedard. Fortunately for SC,they got a parade

13 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Hey Bud who were the winners in our little draft. Let me know and I can forward the winnigs to the individuals 

That’s fun of you!!

Question. You were gone for a while, I always loved your Wranglers takes. Did you get to see them a lot this past season?

I have 2 main issues:

1. They're on too late for EST

2. Streams generally suck. Which ties back to 1. I know subsciptions are cheap, but they're on too late and may be a waste of $$ for me. I have a hard enough time with Flames games ending at 1am. I can't do it every night. lol

So I really enjoyed your takes from the farm.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Feeling the love from ESPN.

101f536914ca6ad2b006f4b7b4b36506.png

Yes, the old "value" props.  In some ways we got the best player when available, with some arguments from the expert scouts.  I like what we did, just was hoping to get a top C.  Maybe we have a real sleeper there that will blow the doors off, but generally we are not likely getting better than a Sharky at C.  That's still high praise, but not the elusive #1, which of course is not available at any spot we looked.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:28 AM, travel_dude said:

Honestly, I didn't look at goalie rankings before the draft.  I trusted that they would take on and that they are decent judges of goalie ability.  We're not talking about ranking MacDonald over Demko here.  And it's not looking at a huge guy that has some athletics to match size.

The take these guys had on him is what I see just by looking at stats.  The MHL is not top tier but it's not VHL either.  He did well.  Remains to be seen if he gets a call to the KHL.  I think he is signed for one season remaining, so no idea if he would be coming over to Calgary after that.  Might actually benefit to play a year in the KHL.  

Just with everything going on there, of course the sooner he comes over the better imho, but, I guess the flip side of that is Russia has a clear, unmistakable edge in goaltending development right now.   Have for a few years.   So definitely some positives to a KHL year as well, yes.  

He did do well.   there's some weird things that go on there.  like teams saying they are too good for Michkov.  etc. lol.   100% it's extremely hard to evaluate them over there, and yet we know they are likely to be difference makers at some point here.

20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Just with everything going on there, of course the sooner he comes over the better imho, but, I guess the flip side of that is Russia has a clear, unmistakable edge in goaltending development right now.   Have for a few years.   So definitely some positives to a KHL year as well, yes.  

He did do well.   there's some weird things that go on there.  like teams saying they are too good for Michkov.  etc. lol.   100% it's extremely hard to evaluate them over there, and yet we know they are likely to be difference makers at some point here.

Any idea about the guy in the AHL?

Ignatjew.

Played in HockeyAllsvenskan but solid numbers it looks like.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That’s fun of you!!

Question. You were gone for a while, I always loved your Wranglers takes. Did you get to see them a lot this past season?

I have 2 main issues:

1. They're on too late for EST

2. Streams generally suck. Which ties back to 1. I know subsciptions are cheap, but they're on too late and may be a waste of $$ for me. I have a hard enough time with Flames games ending at 1am. I can't do it every night. lol

So I really enjoyed your takes from the farm.

I took a self-induced time-out. I bought the AHL script, as I am in SK so the time difference is better. I may just watch them this season as there is not much to look forward to on the Flames.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

I took a self-induced time-out. I bought the AHL script, as I am in SK so the time difference is better. I may just watch them this season as there is not much to look forward to on the Flames.

Ahhh, don't be like that. I'm a Wings fan too. lol

It does no good to get down on everyone. It'll come around.

Dylan Larkin is entering his 10th season as a great player, asst C up to C without fault. He's never been in a playoff game.

You still cheer. Take the good with the bad. That's just sports, and likely why I only follow hockey nowadays. Who tf has time to get all tangled into 6 teams in 4 sports? lol

Things are never as bad as they appear. Cheer on your guys. Getting down about it is depressing.

A huge thing for me was coming back here in 2010, after 18 yrs in Calgary, and getting more involved with the Wings. Full, full, full teardown.

We're not pissing and moaning about it, that's life. Remain hopeful. CDN markets act like it's a personal affront.

Just cheer for your team. Hope your guys do well. If not, oh well. Wish them the best. It's just a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Ahhh, don't be like that. I'm a Wings fan too. lol

It does no good to get down on everyone. It'll come around.

Dylan Larkin is entering his 10th season as a great player, asst C up to C without fault. He's never been in a playoff game.

You still cheer. Take the good with the bad. That's just sports, and likely why I only follow hockey nowadays. Who tf has time to get all tangled into 6 teams in 4 sports? lol

Things are never as bad as they appear. Cheer on your guys. Getting down about it is depressing.

A huge thing for me was coming back here in 2010, after 18 yrs in Calgary, and getting more involved with the Wings. Full, full, full teardown.

We're not pissing and moaning about it, that's life. Remain hopeful. CDN markets act like it's a personal affront.

Just cheer for your team. Hope your guys do well. If not, oh well. Wish them the best. It's just a game.

I get you. You also had 25 years of success though. :) some cups. More than one. We will win one in 6 years 🤪

• Like 1

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Any idea about the guy in the AHL?

Ignatjew.

Played in HockeyAllsvenskan but solid numbers it looks like.

Really no idea, looks to me like a stop-gap with Wolf taking on more time in the NHL.   But I don't have any special insight.   I never get too excited about 24 year old prospects.  But then...there was Kipper.   Will keep an eye on him for sure.  I understand they had to do something and I am glad they at least got someone under 25.   

Problem is getting a 21-year-old that good is mighty expensive.  Basically like buying another Wolf.   But sometimes these 24-year old goalies have one more level to jump and then boom.  would be nice.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I get you. You also had 25 years of success though. :) some cups. More than one. We will win one in 6 years 🤪

And we traded it all for years of the Wings, Lions, Pistons and Tigers all being the worst franchises in pro sports.😌

Calgary has a wealth of great hockey to watch with the Flames, Wranglers, Hitmen, Buffaloes, on and on.

32 teams wanna be great. Imagine SJ fans, great for a decade, no cups. Carolina these days? NYR? Bruins? Leafs?

What's worse, having to reboot your roster or being a favourite to win and never doing so?

I'm not sure, but I think the latter is far more devastating on the psyche. lol

Van had a huge riot about it. We'll see how the Oilers make out moving forward.

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And we traded it all for years of the Wings, Lions, Pistons and Tigers all being the worst franchises in pro sports.😌

Calgary has a wealth of great hockey to watch with the Flames, Wranglers, Hitmen, Buffaloes, on and on.

32 teams wanna be great. Imagine SJ fans, great for a decade, no cups. Carolina these days? NYR? Bruins? Leafs?

What's worse, having to reboot your roster or being a favourite to win and never doing so?

I'm not sure, but I think the latter is far more devastating on the psyche. lol

Van had a huge riot about it. We'll see how the Oilers make out moving forward.

That’s a very tough reality about sports. Very few actually win, it’s more a diversion of the masses.  Since the AHL Flames moved to Calgary I’m much more interested in seeing them.  It’s cheaper and there are far more “successes”, now measured in a player making it to the next level, versus the Flames winning the Stanley Cup.  I guess simply put enjoying the journey versus all focus on the final destination.

I believe that is a great way to live life in general.  One of the great things I love about gardening is also the journey, and I try to spend time every day in it, even just sitting on a bench in its midst enjoying the sights, smells, birds and sounds…

Speaking of the process, does anyone know the details of this week’s Flames’ development camp?

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, the old "value" props.  In some ways we got the best player when available, with some arguments from the expert scouts.  I like what we did, just was hoping to get a top C.  Maybe we have a real sleeper there that will blow the doors off, but generally we are not likely getting better than a Sharky at C.  That's still high praise, but not the elusive #1, which of course is not available at any spot we looked.

I’m thinking they go hard after Ctrs in 2025, it’s a deeper and better draft for Ctrs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I’m thinking they go hard after Ctrs in 2025, it’s a deeper and better draft for Ctrs 

I think Conroy wanted to this year but it didn't work out.   They had Parekh ranked high but had Catton ranked even higher.   IMHO, it was a blessing in disguise.   As much as I have become a Conroy cheerleader, this is something I don't agree on (don't agree with centers before defence, and don't agree that Catton is better than Parekh).

Absolutely there will be more options for Center next year and it will be much easier selecting one with a star D prospect already under our belt.

14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think Conroy wanted to this year but it didn't work out.   They had Parekh ranked high but had Catton ranked even higher.   IMHO, it was a blessing in disguise.   As much as I have become a Conroy cheerleader, this is something I don't agree on (don't agree with centers before defence, and don't agree that Catton is better than Parekh).

Absolutely there will be more options for Center next year and it will be much easier selecting one with a star D prospect already under our belt.

100% of lindstrom was available im positive he would have taken him over perekh

2 hours ago, cberg said:

That’s a very tough reality about sports. Very few actually win, it’s more a diversion of the masses.  Since the AHL Flames moved to Calgary I’m much more interested in seeing them.  It’s cheaper and there are far more “successes”, now measured in a player making it to the next level, versus the Flames winning the Stanley Cup.  I guess simply put enjoying the journey versus all focus on the final destination.

I believe that is a great way to live life in general.  One of the great things I love about gardening is also the journey, and I try to spend time every day in it, even just sitting on a bench in its midst enjoying the sights, smells, birds and sounds…

Speaking of the process, does anyone know the details of this week’s Flames’ development camp?

Life's a struggle, especially at these grocery prices. lol Living vicariously through a sports team isn't really an option. Find your joy in other things, however big or small they're perceived.

I seem to recall the ice was rented 4th to 8th maybe? My recollection sucks, but I believe starting Thursday?

*waiting for @cross16 or @sak22 to say, "Dude, what are you even talking about"? lol

• Like 1