2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

With Saginaw hosting the Memorial Cup, everyone can get a decent look at Parekh, and likely Dickinson and O'Reilly, as the Knights have devastated Oshawa in the first 2 Final games.

Can a team realistically come back after being outscored 17-2 in 2 games?

In Oshawa tonight. See if there's a response. London's stacked, NHL-level coach. So annoying....have to hand it to their talented players though. Cowan's on another planet. Hate to give the Leafs credit, but he is.

Ah yes, one of those dreaded off the board picks everyone hates.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Ah yes, one of those dreaded off the board picks everyone hates.

What's worse is I liked Barkey more than Cowan last year.

I can't believe that I'm so wrong, it's so foreign to me. *tries to maintain a straight face*

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Anyway, we can just wait until the pick to trash the fact we get a LHS LW at 9.  LOL.

This and the next 2 drafts will help decide our future.

We have some good D in the system, but I am a little concerned about the F's.

Iginla should be the last LHS LW we draft in the first round for the next 4 years.  Worst thing that can happen is the Flames come out of a 4/5 year rebuild picking LHS LW every first round.  Honzek and Iginla should fill the top 6 needs on LW for the next 10 years.  I don't care if BPA is LHS LW (because it always is), we need to fill out other needs first.

Take Yakemchuk over Catton... Maybe even over Helenius.  Because RHS RD... Hard to find another good one in the coming drafts.  They are rare.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Iginla should be the last LHS LW we draft in the first round for the next 4 years.  Worst thing that can happen is the Flames come out of a 4/5 year rebuild picking LHS LW every first round.  Honzek and Iginla should fill the top 6 needs on LW for the next 10 years.  I don't care if BPA is LHS LW (because it always is), we need to fill out other needs first.

Take Yakemchuk over Catton... Maybe even over Helenius.  Because RHS RD... Hard to find another good one in the coming drafts.  They are rare.

I Really hope we end up with another top 10 pick lol.  Iginla and Yakemchuk would be rad.    

Iginla should be the last LHS and RHS we draft in first round ;)

Joe that is.   Kid looks like he's got a ceiling above his Dad's.

I also think Yakemchuk as you know.   It's a dilemma.   And I don't deny Catton is good.   I wouldn't go off the rails if we picked him.   But I am wondering what happened to him in the playoffs.

41 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

And I don't deny Catton is good.   I wouldn't go off the rails if we picked him.   But I am wondering what happened to him in the playoffs.

The issue with Catton's playoffs is that Spokane wasn't a good team and they played one of the best teams in the CHL in PG.

The Spokane Chiefs were pretty much Catton and Roulette. Not a very good team.

52 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The issue with Catton's playoffs is that Spokane wasn't a good team and they played one of the best teams in the CHL in PG.

The Spokane Chiefs were pretty much Catton and Roulette. Not a very good team.

I guess.  Separated by 5 points in standings from Tij's team is not a terribly compelling difference,  although I realize the opposition may have been quite different. 

He looks good man.  But I do worry when these guys don't have an extra playoff gear.   Tij wnt the other way and just massively increased his production when he felt it mattered.

Thanks though.    Without a doubt they were up against a wall.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I guess.  Separated by 5 points in standings from Tij's team is not a terribly compelling difference,  although I realize the opposition may have been quite different. 

He looks good man.  But I do worry when these guys don't have an extra playoff gear.   Tij wnt the other way and just massively increased his production when he felt it mattered.

It's a fair question.

If we were to compare Spokane to Kelowna, I think Kelowna probably underperformed a bit this year. Whereas, Spokane has been a dysfunctional franchise for a while, they haven't been very good since Bill Peters was the coach. There was some concern whether or not Catton would play for them. 

To compare the rosters though

Kelowna has legitimate NHL prospects. Cristall, Iginla, Szturc, Price. Hiroki Gojsic looks like he will be a pretty good pick later in this years draft.

Spokane has one player that is NHL property. Sage Weinstein, undrafted, very much in the 6/7th D role at the next level. Connor Roulette was their second best player (behind Catton). He was an overage and was originally drafted by Dallas, but didn't get signed. 

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What's worse is I liked Barkey more than Cowan last year.

I can't believe that I'm so wrong, it's so foreign to me. *tries to maintain a straight face*

It is ok, How many kids light it up in their year after they're drafted. They light it up for a reason. He still hasn't played any NHL Games yet, so could be just the one year.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It is ok, How many kids light it up in their year after they're drafted. They light it up for a reason. He still hasn't played any NHL Games yet, so could be just the one year.

It's a fair bit in the O, particularly London. They always have so much talent that younger players have to wait for graduates to get top ice time. That's why I think Dickinson and O'Reilly's totals will be in high gear next season.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 5:18 PM, jjgallow said:

You mean the zero points he had in 4 games against the Cougers? 3 points in 5 games overall. 

Catton with 4 against the same Cougers. Double standard there. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

You mean the zero points he had in 4 games against the Cougers? 3 points in 5 games overall. 

Catton with 4 against the same Cougers. Double standard there. 

I was asking.   I didn't see them in the playoffs.

Are you referring to playoff action?   I don't think you can compare regular season to playoffs apples to apples, especially in junior.

My initial thoughts to what you wrote though isn't that Catton is excused if Tij can't score against the top team either.   Rather, it calls them both a little bit into question.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I was asking.   I didn't see them in the playoffs.

Are you referring to playoff action?   I don't think you can compare regular season to playoffs apples to apples, especially in junior.

My initial thoughts to what you wrote though isn't that Catton is excused if Tij can't score against the top team either.   Rather, it calls them both a little bit into question.

Sample size bias would be the more accurate takeaway I think. They both had a similar performance against PG so not really fair to suggest Tij is better/safer because he raised his game more in the playoffs. 

And just pointing out that I think Brewcrew had a good point about quality of competition. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 11:08 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

what a comeback by London tonight. Down 6-2 in the 3rd . Win 7-6 in 2OT

Did you catch the game? It was wildly entertaining.

I don't think anyone that follows/hates the Knights is too surprised. They completely dominated the 3rd period.

Can finish things tonight and rest up for the MC.

It would kinda be nice if the Gens can win one for their last home game. Their fans are likely a bit crushed. They are a great team. The Knights are just going juggernaut. I started settling into the 3rd that the Gens may hold off. The 6-3 goal with about 13 mins left just made me go aww Satoshi Nakamoto, here they come.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Did you catch the game? It was wildly entertaining.

I don't think anyone that follows/hates the Knights is too surprised. They completely dominated the 3rd period.

Can finish things tonight and rest up for the MC.

It would kinda be nice if the Gens can win one for their last home game. Their fans are likely a bit crushed. They are a great team. The Knights are just going juggernaut. I started settling into the 3rd that the Gens may hold off. The 6-3 goal with about 13 mins left just made me go aww Satoshi Nakamoto, here they come.

I watched the first 40. Was pretty impressed with the Gens. It looked like they were gonna bounce back from the beatings in game one and two.

I actually changed the channel and came back at 6-4. Oshawa had a ton of chances in the first OT, you just knew it was gonna haunt them.

It should be a great mem cup. Drummondville and London rolling. If Moose Jaw gets though, they’re rolling.

The top end of London, Saginaw and (hopefully) Moose Jaw is insane. Drummondville has less “star power” but a really solid team. Three studs on the backend. Ethan Gauthier is a nice player too.

• Like 1

A rather gushing assessment of Knights D-boss Sam Dickinson. I can't really argue with it, the kid is a stud. Pretty much the general back there for the Knights at 5v5.

The article is correct, it really does take little time to notice him for all of the right reasons.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/physically-hes-a-beast-why-nhl-teams-like-2024-nhl-draft-defenseman-sam-dickinson

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A rather gushing assessment of Knights D-boss Sam Dickinson. I can't really argue with it, the kid is a stud. Pretty much the general back there for the Knights at 5v5.

The article is correct, it really does take little time to notice him for all of the right reasons.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/physically-hes-a-beast-why-nhl-teams-like-2024-nhl-draft-defenseman-sam-dickinson

Sounds like the total package on defense.

Doubt he slides to us but id take him if he did.

Earlier watched a pretty well done review of most of the U18 and early May rankings.  He was focused on big movers, and biggest was Senecke who he pushed up into the top5, based on second half and playoffs.  Also, of note, apparently Demidov apparently just injured his knee, previous issue but not necessarily exactly same injury.  

18 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Sounds like the total package on defense.

Doubt he slides to us but id take him if he did.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

For sure. How he is now plus room to grow, hard to see him getting to 9th.

But that's the thing, there are about 9 of these "doubt he slides to us" right?  And so one of them has to slide to us.

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Earlier watched a pretty well done review of most of the U18 and early May rankings.  He was focused on big movers, and biggest was Senecke who he pushed up into the top5, based on second half and playoffs.  Also, of note, apparently Demidov apparently just injured his knee, previous issue but not necessarily exactly same injury.  

I think Sennecke has had a really strong finish to his season.

He's risen from a late first at the start of the year. Probably goes in the top half of the first at minimum now. I have seen some MTL-Sennecke connections too. Think that may surprise some. But he's a big, skilled RHS, that can skate well. Hard to find.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But that's the thing, there are about 9 of these "doubt he slides to us" right?  And so one of them has to slide to us.

Yeah I think we will be pleased with one of the guys left on the board when #9 rolls around.

Like many have stated rankings are all over the place after Celebrini.

How nice it would be for a change to grab a guy at 9 that looks like he should've been a top 3-5 pick 10 years down the road.

In my time watching the Flames I think we've only hit that "should've been top 3" once picking outside the top 5. That was Tkachuk in 2016.