2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

He's the one that BT said, "would have punched me" if he didn't take Mangiapane. lol

I'll give him Andersson too, but nobody's afraid of getting punched by him. lol

I wonder, I know you've said on a few occasions, the Flames tend toward the WHL? Maybe... or maybe it's more the W over the Knights, as you seem to mention them a lot and the Flames might not draft them often enough. 

18 minutes ago, cberg said:

Absolutely he creates space, or more generally his speed and control create space.  Perhaps that’s why you seem to put such a premium on skating.

As for best in the world that’s debatable.  Surprised comment from you after you’d made such a stand for 200ft players, which Mcdavid is not.  He’s a unicorn speedster…

Barkov is my favourite player, it's true. And I think Hischier doesn't get the acknowledgement that he deserves.

McDavid is 100% O-threat though, so that's hard to overlook. Who else can draw penalties because the refs are at a loss and don't know what to do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder, I know you've said on a few occasions, the Flames tend toward the WHL? Maybe... or maybe it's more the W over the Knights, as you seem to mention them a lot and the Flames might not draft them often enough. 

They put more emphasis on the west, for sure. imo. Regional bias because it's easier when it's closer. Inequality of viewings is likely. You scout Honzek heavily and then also take Lipinski, his teammate, is sketchy for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They put more emphasis on the west, for sure. imo. Regional bias because it's easier when it's closer. Inequality of viewings is likely. You scout Honzek heavily and then also take Lipinski, his teammate, is sketchy for me.

It’s not unique to Calgary as well. Boston went a few years without selecting a CHL player. Lot of emphasis for them on Americans.

Buffalo had a stretch like that too. Think Cozens was the first in 20 some picks that had been a CHL player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I REALLY wanted the Flames to hire Mark Hunter as GM. Put it that way. Not sure how possible it was. I know he could've signed his Knights ownership over to Dale with zero change to him still having it. They are literally Sarnia's (Petrolia, Oil Springs farmland) version of the Sutter's.

The Knights are the richest team in the entire CHL. Blockchaining turncoats. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I don’t really find much preference I think Brads early drafts were a lot from the O and not much out of the W.  if you go their last 10 firsts it was 4 W, 3 O, 2 Q and 1 USHL. And the 2nd in that same time span is 2 Q, 1 NCAA, 1 disgrace from Fin, 1 disgrace from W, 2, Swedes, and 3 from the O.  I guess not much from the last 5 years but many of those ones picks were scarce and the one that wasn’t was the year they completely shut down.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

why dey no score goal?

They waiting for NHL to score goal?  😅

Still not ready to make my list.   but, I have a pretty steep penalty for guys who can't put the puck in the net.   defence or not.   

one of these days I will give my list.   I'm trying .

This team just doesn't need another LW but it could sure use another Iginla.

We'll draft Tij and throw him over to RW like we do to every other LHS LW we draft and develop.  🤪

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I am really not sure about Celebrini as I think he tops out as a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I would have no problem trading down to get a couple top D. ie. 1st OA to Mon for their 7th 25th and our own 2025 1sr

Well it's sad because RNH would be the Flames #1 Center right now if he was here.

I get what you are saying but at the same time, that's still a #1 Center this team doesn't have.  If we can draft Celebrini, then it's not something we should trade down from.

Furthermore, it seems Levshunov is the only true #1 D in this draft.  All the other prospects have question marks that hold them back.  They either focus too much on offense and don't play D, or they have medium IQ and only ranked high because they are physically bigger than everyone else.  Trading with MTL for the 6/7th pick is a big gamble.

I would take the next RNH.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

No favors from Seattle.

Flames win tonight, they pass the Kraken.

With the three games cgy gas left I'd say they win 2 of 3

Could tie NJ as well  not sure who has the tie breaker

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

No favors from Seattle.

Flames win tonight, they pass the Kraken.

SEA -> at WPG, at MIN

CGY -> vs ARI, at VAN, vs SJS

OTT -> at NYR, at BOS

ARI -> at CGY, vs EDM

MTL -> at DET, vs DET

What a big game against ARI.  SEA could lose remaining two.

50 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

SEA -> at WPG, at MIN

CGY -> vs ARI, at VAN, vs SJS

OTT -> at NYR, at BOS

ARI -> at CGY, vs EDM

MTL -> at DET, vs DET

What a big game against ARI.  SEA could lose remaining two.

11-12 is probably the sweet spot for Tij, so the hopeless romantics can savour a veritable orgy of homage to past glory.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's the difference between knowing when it's necessary to ramp it up down by a goal and protecting a lead. Also the difference between knowing how to trust and accommodate your forwards than trying to be a one-man show.

If you want your dmen to be wingers, why not just get good wingers that good dmen can accommodate?

If that's aimed at Dickinson, sorry man, but that's laughable. You're not watching him. When the Knights need a goal, I guarantee you that he's the first guy they send out. And he'll not disappoint, usually. He has a lot of 3rd assists. lol Just because he didn't score it, or even get an assist, doesn't mean he had nothing to do with it.

They're in the playoffs vs Kitchener rn, watch him. Then you can see Sam O'Reilly too. C, should go within 60th oa. He'll be their 1C next year.

Added bonus: Brzustewicz plays for Kitchener. Don't confuse him with his younger bro, who plays for London. lol

The AHL is full of former high picks with great shots who can't translate.    Not saying he'll end up in the AHL, but does he have the vision to be  a 1st line difference maker at the NHL level?

He's a safe pick, does many things right and unlikely to fail.

A little too safe for my liking.   I would for sure take him with the Vancouver pick.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would for sure take him with the Vancouver pick.

You're only 20-25 picks too late. And all the other scouts are looking at Button with that, "where the Blockchain did you find this guy?" bewildered look. lol

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

9th is Tij territory for the Flames I would think.

Great to see the media heating up about it.🥳

Watch how he got ramped up for a great showing vs a meh Wenatchee side. Now he'll get ramped down because PG is stellar. These ranking sites float in the wind like crazy.

After tonight’s win, the Flames will go into the lottery somewhere in the 7 - 11 range. Only Seattle and Ottawa have a chance at passing the Flames in the standings, while Flames could catch NJ and Buffalo. Picture is becoming more clear on final standings.

Edmonton is the only team with 3 games remaining, everyone else has 1 or 2. Jockeying for final seeding in playoffs/ draft is all that’s left for this week.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Great to see the media heating up about it.🥳

Watch how he got ramped up for a great showing vs a meh Wenatchee side. Now he'll get ramped down because PG is stellar. These ranking sites float in the wind like crazy.

What's PG?

Playoff is stellar so far.  He's not top 10 though but hopefully someone takes him before us.

Just now, bosn111 said:

After tonight’s win, the Flames will go into the lottery somewhere in the 7 - 11 range. Only Seattle and Ottawa have a chance at passing the Flames in the standings, while Flames could catch NJ and Buffalo. Picture is becoming more clear on final standings.

Edmonton is the only team with 3 games remaining, everyone else has 1 or 2. Jockeying for final seeding in playoffs/ draft is all that’s left for this week.

We won??  I wasn't even paying attention.  Losing 5-4 and then scores 2 and wins 6-5... Why why why!

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What's PG?

Playoff is stellar so far.  He's not top 10 though but hopefully someone takes him before us.

Prince George Cougars are the top seed in the conference. Kelowna's in really tough. PG's up 2-0 heading back to Kelowna. 4-0 and 5-0. Excellent G prospect for next year's draft in Josh Ravensbergen.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We won??  I wasn't even paying attention.  Losing 5-4 and then scores 2 and wins 6-5... Why why why!

Because that thing about teams intentionally losing for draft position has always been a gigantic lie. It's recited so often that it became a fake truth. Like most things going on these days. lol