2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think it was cross or conundrum and others

@cross16 for sure. I'm in no mood for practicality watching the Wings completely implode.

TDL: Okay, we've got a chance, let's keep Perron, Ghost, etc... let's crank this biatch up boys, with a .292 win %!!

Only SJ and Anaheim have been worse. Watching just how awful they've become depicts that. Don't talk to me about rebuilds...

Oh wait...what were we talking about? Yeah it was cross.

• Like 1

Well as things  are we are looking like a top 10 draft pick…

one thing seems like the teams is disjointed much like the first 1/2 of the season.  This is not a bad thing really, they just need to build chemistry and get the new guys accustomed to the team style and players. Kinda expected this having a 1/2 your regular D traded mid

season it’s gonna take time to get the chemistry right.  Add to the fact mostly new young D that haven’t had much playing time in the NHL they need to also adjust to the NHL speed and intensity.

there seem to be some good mix of player and some that we definitely need to move.  All and all it’s a perfect situation, work out the bugs let the younger guys get some experience and get a good draft pick.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I'm really quite guarded. I am waiting to see how it plays out. I've been a fan since '89 and was quite happy to cheer the team in the down years after. It was around when they started to skip steps that I started to sour on the team, mostly after Gaudreau was drafted. It happening a 2nd time was tough. 

Now I wanna see if the team has learnt from it instead of skipping steps and mortgaging futures in the process. 

I think it was cross or conundrum and others that said they need to treat team building like a small market team.

I don’t know if the Flames skipped any steps in the last rebuild. If anything, it was accelerated because Gaudreau ended up being a star.

The last core was frustrating for sure. It felt like they left some meat on the bone in the playoffs. They did have a season where they were a 1 seed and another where they were a 2. People can see regular season doesn’t matter, but that’s impressive. Edmonton hasn’t had a season like that since the 90’s.

I think some people are frustrated that the Flames didnt end up with lotto picks. But they did. You don’t have to pick first in the draft to get the best player. If you redraft 2016, Tkachuk is a 2nd overall pick. In 2011 Gaudreau probably goes 2nd in a redraft as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t know if the Flames skipped any steps in the last rebuild. If anything, it was accelerated because Gaudreau ended up being a star.

The last core was frustrating for sure. It felt like they left some meat on the bone in the playoffs. They did have a season where they were a 1 seed and another where they were a 2. People can see regular season doesn’t matter, but that’s impressive. Edmonton hasn’t had a season like that since the 90’s.

I think some people are frustrated that the Flames didnt end up with lotto picks. But they did. You don’t have to pick first in the draft to get the best player. If you redraft 2016, Tkachuk is a 2nd overall pick. In 2011 Gaudreau probably goes 2nd in a redraft as well.

it was more the in and out part that I didn't like. This is where I got roasted a lot because I also felt in those tanks that were high up still weren't that good. Id say it then and got roasted for it. 

Maybe it's the new NHL I just can't read anymore? I don't like a possession game just for the sake of possession. Shooting from perimeter isn't exciting. We were lucky to have Johnny which eventually would help us get there those years. 

but at the same time their inconsistency to me signaled a bad team with some good players and if teams wanted to stop them they knew how...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

it was more the in and out part that I didn't like. This is where I got roasted a lot because I also felt in those tanks that were high up still weren't that good. Id say it then and got roasted for it. 

Maybe it's the new NHL I just can't read anymore? I don't like a possession game just for the sake of possession. Shooting from perimeter isn't exciting. We were lucky to have Johnny which eventually would help us get there those years. 

but at the same time their inconsistency to me signaled a bad team with some good players and if teams wanted to stop them they knew how...

Bad teams don't win 50 games in a season, if the Flames won 2 division titles in a 5 year period while being a bad team what does it say about the rest of the division.  But yeah we are totally on the Sharks and Ducks level, we just had Gaudreau carry us, wait now he's gone and they are still 31 points ahead of the Sharks in a bad year.  So predictable and easy to stop, yet still way better than the last place teams.   If you could be a bad team with good players and win a few games, why didn't that work with Buffalo during the Eichel days, why did Chicago eventually fall off even though they still had Kane, why isn't Gaudreau carrying Columbus the same way he apparently did here.  Not saying everything was sunshine and roses, but it wasn't all doom and gloom there were far worse teams to watch over the past decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is what I like about drafts. You don't need top 10 picks to strike gold. Having more bullets in the chamber in rds 2-4 is the ticket. There are as many current great players selected after the first round as there are top 10 world beaters. There is more certainty in the top 10, but there are also enough tales of caution to not over-amplify a top 10 pick vs an 80 pick. Your 5th pick in any given draft could be the next Pavel Datsyuk or Pekka Rinne. Odds are just stats. Defying the odds has been proven many times over.

"Playing the percentages" is really not all that it's cracked up to be in drafting 18 yos. Don't trade everyone for better odds. Waaay too much risk. 

It's just a list of Top 200 18yos in the World that changes pretty drastically when they all put 5 years behind them.

As I said earlier, I break it into blocks of 50. Even that seems small to me.

28 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Thanks for sharing.

That’s the highest I’ve seen Yakemchuk. Also probably the lowest I’ve seen Eiserman.

The biggest wildcard in the draft is Silayev, I think. He’s under contract in the KHL through 26/27. I wonder if it’s like Michkov last year, where he kinda picks his spot. He’s the one player in the top ten that in not sure if the Flames would take. It can be argued either way,  but I don’t think they want to wait two years before they even have a chance at getting him to North America. Not with a high pick, later in the draft, sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Thanks for sharing.

That’s the highest I’ve seen Yakemchuk. Also probably the lowest I’ve seen Eiserman.

The biggest wildcard in the draft is Silayev, I think. He’s under contract in the KHL through 26/27. I wonder if it’s like Michkov last year, where he kinda picks his spot. He’s the one player in the top ten that in not sure if the Flames would take. It can be argued either way,  but I don’t think they want to wait two years before they even have a chance at getting him to North America. Not with a high pick, later in the draft, sure.

Just my opinion, but Simashev would be a comparable from last year's draft in terms of the volatility of Dman selections. Once the 1st dman goes after Levshunov, I'd guess the other 4 to 5 shoes could go quite quickly. It's also where pick-trading potential would be highest imo.

Not implying what is right or wrong. Just an observation.

57 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Bad teams don't win 50 games in a season, if the Flames won 2 division titles in a 5 year period while being a bad team what does it say about the rest of the division.  But yeah we are totally on the Sharks and Ducks level, we just had Gaudreau carry us, wait now he's gone and they are still 31 points ahead of the Sharks in a bad year.  So predictable and easy to stop, yet still way better than the last place teams.   If you could be a bad team with good players and win a few games, why didn't that work with Buffalo during the Eichel days, why did Chicago eventually fall off even though they still had Kane, why isn't Gaudreau carrying Columbus the same way he apparently did here.  Not saying everything was sunshine and roses, but it wasn't all doom and gloom there were far worse teams to watch over the past decade. 

who said anything about Sharks level? This about contending for a cup and we were always far from it.

who said anything about Sharks level? This about contending for a cup and we were always far from it.

You said they were a bad team.  Are there various levels of bad teams?  I don't know how you interpret things but, is Toronto bad, they've had no success in the playoffs, is Carolina bad they haven't done much in the playoffs lately, ditto with Boston, New York. Winnipeg, LA, Edmonton, should the only teams that can be considered good be Colorado, Tampa, Vegas and St. Louis as they are the only teams to win lately?  That's one team out of the playoffs and 2 that are in Wild Card spots.  When Vegas missed the playoffs 2 years ago, were they a bad team that was "exposed"

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I'm with you.

We were never terrible.    

If that was the goal, we achieved it.   But there's a reason cemeteries aren't filled with that slogan on tombstones.

56 minutes ago, sak22 said:

You said they were a bad team.  Are there various levels of bad teams?  I don't know how you interpret things but, is Toronto bad, they've had no success in the playoffs, is Carolina bad they haven't done much in the playoffs lately, ditto with Boston, New York. Winnipeg, LA, Edmonton, should the only teams that can be considered good be Colorado, Tampa, Vegas and St. Louis as they are the only teams to win lately?  That's one team out of the playoffs and 2 that are in Wild Card spots.  When Vegas missed the playoffs 2 years ago, were they a bad team that was "exposed"

we won 2 series in twenty years. One against a Canucks team that was on their way to being terrible and lucky to be where they were. The next year they were irrelevant . If the goal is win the cup, how are or were we ever a good team?

• Like 1

we won 2 series in twenty years. One against a Canucks team that was on their way to being terrible and lucky to be where they were. The next year they were irrelevant . If the goal is win the cup, how are or were we ever a good team?

If winning the cup is the only barrier to being a good team than there are a lot of bad teams.  I put it as a simple formula win=good, lose=bad.  If you take the Flames at their core's peak (basically the 6 years of Tkachuk) the team won 244 out of 454 games, more than half so by my formula yes they were a good team, not a great team but good.  I was only countering your claim they were a bad team, but regardless that is the past we have 3 forwards, 2 dmen and 2 goalies from the last playoff team, so they've turned the page on that chapter.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

If winning the cup is the only barrier to being a good team than there are a lot of bad teams.  I put it as a simple formula win=good, lose=bad.  If you take the Flames at their core's peak (basically the 6 years of Tkachuk) the team won 244 out of 454 games, more than half so by my formula yes they were a good team, not a great team but good.  I was only countering your claim they were a bad team, but regardless that is the past we have 3 forwards, 2 dmen and 2 goalies from the last playoff team, so they've turned the page on that chapter.

you know that isn't what I'm saying... sure the goal is the cup. But I'm talking consistency as my definition of a good or better than good team... my idea of a good team is consistent every year. I'd consider the Sharks when they were consistent contenders to be good and would be my true goal because they were an example of just how hard it is to win it, getting close, winning rounds. I get that we had some good years. I won't deny that much, but I'd want more consistency than that. 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just my opinion, but Simashev would be a comparable from last year's draft in terms of the volatility of Dman selections. Once the 1st dman goes after Levshunov, I'd guess the other 4 to 5 shoes could go quite quickly. It's also where pick-trading potential would be highest imo.

Not implying what is right or wrong. Just an observation.

That’s a good comp. I believe Simashev had two years under contract as well.

Right now, my wish list is some combination of Dickinson, Buium, Catton. Although I would be happy with almost anyone in the top thirteen or so.

Eiserman is the one I’m wrestling with though. Like the tools, but I have some concerns.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That’s a good comp. I believe Simashev had two years under contract as well.

Right now, my wish list is some combination of Dickinson, Buium, Catton. Although I would be happy with almost anyone in the top thirteen or so.

Eiserman is the one I’m wrestling with though. Like the tools, but I have some concerns.

That brings up a good point.  Everyone looks at the positives, how about we go through the top15 or so and focus on their weaknesses?

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Giordano. 

He altered our course as much as Gaudreau did in my opinion.  If Giordano wasn't Norris-level for 5/6-years, the Flames would've drafted higher and had a deeper rebuild.  

And so the lesson learned should be to have everyone peak at the same time for this rebuild.  Clean the slate.  The next core needs to all be in the same age group, not one guy 32-years-old and the rest are 21-24.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Giordano. 

He altered our course as much as Gaudreau did in my opinion.  If Giordano wasn't Norris-level for 5/6-years, the Flames would've drafted higher and had a deeper rebuild.  

And so the lesson learned should be to have everyone peak at the same time for this rebuild.  Clean the slate.  The next core needs to all be in the same age group, not one guy 32-years-old and the rest are 21-24.

I would say Sutter as a GM.  lol.

but if we want to blame players, then yes..Giordano