FLAMES @ Capitals - Monday 16 Oct 2023 - 5PM MDT

4 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

It was nice to see 17 actually get a shot off. I know it hit the crossbar, but it moved the net. If that guy could get some shots off, he might be okay.

Love.

I'm a little frustrated seeing him toil on the 4th line.

It's a grinding line, not really suited for his play.

And we have the fall guy on the top line.

A LHS on the top RW, where you need a guy that will get a shot off.

Good for Phillips tonight a bit of bitter revenge. That shot by Sharogovich was something, that's a shot wow, now use it. The rest of the game 🤮, typical Flames fashion good 1-period Satoshi Nakamoto for the rest of the game. 

I really love the creativity of our power play, it's just lethal. 

We can only do so much with 5 D and an AHL player with limited creativity.

I thought that the top line was good for one period, and Backlund slow start as usual.

He's serving up muffins.  Give it to Coronato.

Mange only seems to look good with Backlund on LW, can't seem to figure out RW.

At times it seemed like Huberdeau was playing RW and not well.

The Ruzie line was good most of the game and held back by Kadri mistiming his shots.

That line is probably the most consistent driving the play forward.

Govich is good, but doesn't play on a creative line.

Just in your face hockey, which is fine for a 4th line.

Belongs in top 9 where he can use that shot.

It's heavy like Rozie's, but Ruzie also doesn't shoot enough.

Don't use Kadri to shoot, take passes from Kadri.

If we are using Tanev with the 3rd pairing, might as well call up Poirier.

Somebody that can do something.

Not impressed with Gilbert and Oesterle took the fall for the team's effort the other night.

Minus 2 in a win.

• Kulstad unpinned this topic
35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We can only do so much with 5 D and an AHL player with limited creativity.

I thought that the top line was good for one period, and Backlund slow start as usual.

He's serving up muffins.  Give it to Coronato.

Mange only seems to look good with Backlund on LW, can't seem to figure out RW.

At times it seemed like Huberdeau was playing RW and not well.

The Ruzie line was good most of the game and held back by Kadri mistiming his shots.

That line is probably the most consistent driving the play forward.

Govich is good, but doesn't play on a creative line.

Just in your face hockey, which is fine for a 4th line.

Belongs in top 9 where he can use that shot.

It's heavy like Rozie's, but Ruzie also doesn't shoot enough.

Don't use Kadri to shoot, take passes from Kadri.

If we are using Tanev with the 3rd pairing, might as well call up Poirier.

Somebody that can do something.

Not impressed with Gilbert and Oesterle took the fall for the team's effort the other night.

Minus 2 in a win.

From your assessment, I'd be inclined to go:

Huberdeau, Lindholm, Coronato

Ruzicka, Kadri,  Coleman

Mangiapane, Backlund, Sharingovich

Greer, Dube, Duehr

we are missing a #4C or a top6 winger.... I don't mean to demote Dube...  maybe both

58 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ruzicka, Kadri,  Coleman

Greer, Dube, Duehr

we are missing a #4C or a top6 winger.... I don't mean to demote Dube...  maybe both

I don't know.  Ruzicka and Dube are a great duo.  I'm yet to see a good top line so you may be onto something there.  Coronato is more likely to use his shot, so it's a good idea.  I like your 3rd line, since Govich is good defensively and has a heavy shot.  Backlund may pass to him.  Tired of the muffins.  I think you sacrifice Coleman to play a 4th line role, and give him PK and a little PP time to balance his minutes.  Coleman is listed as a C, so he may be the best idea for a 4th C.

So, to add to your line, I might try:

Ruzicka, Kadri,  Dube

Greer, Coleman, Duehr

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ruzicka, Kadri,  Coleman

Greer, Dube, Duehr

We can redecorate the Titanic but we have to come to terms with the fact that just cosmetic reconstruction is not going to change the outcome. We have complimentary players, name an elite player on this team. It has been to be done by committee and that's the issue. If they don't play as a unit the results are OT/ Shoot out loss or a Loss, plain and simple. In the last two games, we have lost both games with a 2 shot lead. This club needs 3+ to win, Marky is better but lets in one muffin a game. You can blend the lineup all you want, the results will always be the same. Until you acquire a stud top 3 player, we will be nothing more than average. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

We can redecorate the Titanic but we have to come to terms with the fact that just cosmetic reconstruction is not going to change the outcome. We have complimentary players, name an elite player on this team. It has been to be done by committee and that's the issue. If they don't play as a unit the results are OT/ Shoot out loss or a Loss, plain and simple. In the last two games, we have lost both games with a 2 shot lead. This club needs 3+ to win, Marky is better but lets in one muffin a game. You can blend the lineup all you want, the results will always be the same. Until you acquire a stud top 3 player, we will be nothing more than average. 

Incoming RANT!   Ha

One thing that has  taken me many years to learn lol, is that there are many people here who really,  really love blending lineups. 

Took me even longer to realize that's not a bad thing.

We could be last place or first place, they don't care.  They gonna blend those lineups. 

Russia invades Ukraine?  Blend those lineups. 

War in Isreal?   Blend those lineups.

Draft day?  Blend em

It's just a particular facet of enjoying the game, probably comes from a bit of coaching experience for some, or fighting with coaches lol.

In comparison I basically have zero interest in blending lineups, and I think I get myself in trouble even I interfere with ongoing lineup blending .    Admittedly,  sometimes I'm jist in the wrong thread or off topic.

Likewise,  I have seen some applaud incredibly damaging trades long term because of the intriguing blending possibilities.    And there's the draft and how almost every year we get back to "of but we need to pick someone foe this blending we're doing".

So.  You need both.   You need blending of lineups,  and I have now accepted that this will be popular at all stages of the Flame rebuild,  both in the decline and the rise, and that's okay.

You do need something else though.   Often I think of one day making  a topic that other people actually enjoy which addresses it.   And is clearly different. 

So people can be like "hey that's off topic, it belongs in the blending thread " and visa versa.

For me I have a hard time conversing without considering things 5-8 years out and it is a big reason why some people get pissed off.    One day...I will attempt to fix it with some kind of thread.

Many on here feel that to think 5-8 years out is egotistical.   Because,  how can you possibly blend lineups 5 years out.

From my perspective,  sometimes I get frustrated and I feel like ignoring the future is egotistical.   Like an investment firm that promises great 1 month returns and doesn't have any long range forecasting.

One day I will make some kind of thread for it.

Blenders gonna blend. 

Isn't a bad thing.  Isn't the whole picture.  And that's okay.

No point in getting pissed off.   Hasn't been a point to that since Gaidreau and Tkachuk has trade value and term. 

Yeah.   I see where we're headed.  You see it.  Some feel that's egotistical.   I don't .    Either way,  there's no point on getting mad because it won't accomplish anything. 

Darkest before dawn.

Let it happen .

Chill.

As long as we don't give away any more youth/picks.

P.s...me and my big fat thumbs ain't spell checking anything until i get access to this site Inna desktop browser again

^^^^^^^
Paragraphs, man.  Try them you will love how much easier it is for people to read.  White space can be a good thing if you are creating a work of art.  Otherwise just annoying, LOL.

Blending, as you refer to it, is something that you need to do if your team isn't looking good in certain aspects.  The ones you do during a game are just a change when you are stale.  Or the other team is outplaying a certain combo, or one guy is out of sorts.  The rest of the time is to find the optimal combo for 90% of the season.  That's all.  Leaving Mange on RW is pointless unless he shows he can do that well most of his shifts.  Playing Huberdeau in that spot for 90% of the season was pointless, since he could not adjust to it.  Not everyone can.  Ruzicka was playing well, got dropped and started to fade.  He may have been less effective in his final game before the demotion, but that's like saying everyone else was perfect.  ATM, he and Dube are outplaying almost all the other players.  So, you forgive me if I suggest changing lines to use what works and what doesn't.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Still sour about losing Sutter?  Lots of teams with top 3 players have average results.  Teams that have success put their best players in situation to succeed.  Last year we wasted a player on the wrong wing and chose to sit a top 6 talent because the coach had zero clue how to use them.  Average goaltending at best last season and we were a hair away from the playoffs.  Average when you underperform is not a bad deal.  Doesn't get the blowup started no doubt.  Doesn't get you a top draft pick without winning a lotto.  

This year's team is a bit of a work in progress.  Many players suffered under Sutter and are starting to look like players we thought they were.  Some still need those systems coached out of them.  Going from man-on-man to zone is a big change for most of them.  The PK looks improved, but the goalie is also a big part of it.  

I'm not here to make excuses.  The team needs to be better.  If they can do that without makeup and lipstick, fine.  I see some mistakes being repeated or play looking a bit slow, I will call it out.  I won't however follow a team and say they are doomed just because they are 1-1-1.  By American Thanksgiving, if they are still struggling then we have something to talk about.

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Still sour about losing Sutter?  Lots of teams with top 3 players have average results.  Teams that have success put their best players in situation to succeed.  Last year we wasted a player on the wrong wing and chose to sit a top 6 talent because the coach had zero clue how to use them.  Average goaltending at best last season and we were a hair away from the playoffs.  Average when you underperform is not a bad deal.  Doesn't get the blowup started no doubt.  Doesn't get you a top draft pick without winning a lotto.  

This year's team is a bit of a work in progress.  Many players suffered under Sutter and are starting to look like players we thought they were.  Some still need those systems coached out of them.  Going from man-on-man to zone is a big change for most of them.  The PK looks improved, but the goalie is also a big part of it.  

I'm not here to make excuses.  The team needs to be better.  If they can do that without makeup and lipstick, fine.  I see some mistakes being repeated or play looking a bit slow, I will call it out.  I won't however follow a team and say they are doomed just because they are 1-1-1.  By American Thanksgiving, if they are still struggling then we have something to talk about.

Hanifin at center

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter bahahha yup its his fault. Strange how positions and personal change but the justification for the same results actions and excuses are acceptable. We have a roster of good complimentary players that all. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Sutter bahahha yup its his fault. Strange how positions and personal change but the justification for the same results actions and excuses are acceptable. We have a roster of good complimentary players that all. 

Just breathe...

Artyom Levshunov

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Incoming RANT!   Ha

One thing that has  taken me many years to learn lol, is that there are many people here who really,  really love blending lineups. 

Took me even longer to realize that's not a bad thing.

We could be last place or first place, they don't care.  They gonna blend those lineups. 

Russia invades Ukraine?  Blend those lineups. 

War in Isreal?   Blend those lineups.

Draft day?  Blend em

It's just a particular facet of enjoying the game, probably comes from a bit of coaching experience for some, or fighting with coaches lol.

In comparison I basically have zero interest in blending lineups, and I think I get myself in trouble even I interfere with ongoing lineup blending .    Admittedly,  sometimes I'm jist in the wrong thread or off topic.

Likewise,  I have seen some applaud incredibly damaging trades long term because of the intriguing blending possibilities.    And there's the draft and how almost every year we get back to "of but we need to pick someone foe this blending we're doing".

So.  You need both.   You need blending of lineups,  and I have now accepted that this will be popular at all stages of the Flame rebuild,  both in the decline and the rise, and that's okay.

You do need something else though.   Often I think of one day making  a topic that other people actually enjoy which addresses it.   And is clearly different. 

So people can be like "hey that's off topic, it belongs in the blending thread " and visa versa.

For me I have a hard time conversing without considering things 5-8 years out and it is a big reason why some people get pissed off.    One day...I will attempt to fix it with some kind of thread.

Many on here feel that to think 5-8 years out is egotistical.   Because,  how can you possibly blend lineups 5 years out.

From my perspective,  sometimes I get frustrated and I feel like ignoring the future is egotistical.   Like an investment firm that promises great 1 month returns and doesn't have any long range forecasting.

One day I will make some kind of thread for it.

Blenders gonna blend. 

Isn't a bad thing.  Isn't the whole picture.  And that's okay.

No point in getting pissed off.   Hasn't been a point to that since Gaidreau and Tkachuk has trade value and term. 

Yeah.   I see where we're headed.  You see it.  Some feel that's egotistical.   I don't .    Either way,  there's no point on getting mad because it won't accomplish anything. 

Darkest before dawn.

Let it happen .

Chill.

As long as we don't give away any more youth/picks.

P.s...me and my big fat thumbs ain't spell checking anything until i get access to this site Inna desktop browser again

you do realize I'm only behind you and People for the top posters on here advocating for a rebuild. While there are definitely others into it, I think we are the top three that have adamantly argued for it since you name when. I'd say since before the last one, as the where we got Monahan and co. It ended quite abruptly and wasn't planned properly. 

I want it, but came to a realization this team is like bashing all of our heads against a cement wall but we still come back for more.

I was all for trying different things when I felt keeping Monahan and Gaudreau together was shortsighted. Even if he didn't get injured, I felt it was. He's smart but limited by his wheels, Johnny was anchored down a step by Monny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Sutter was wrong coach for the job regardless of outcome. Sure

players felt it was coach, most of us can see the actual writing on the wall. It's an ill-composed team. We don't have the proper mix of abilities. We can put together one good top6 line and the rest are average overpaid bottom 6 players.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

you do realize I'm only behind you and People for the top posters on here advocating for a rebuild. While there are definitely others into it, I think we are the top three that have adamantly argued for it since you name when. I'd say since before the last one, as the where we got Monahan and co. It ended quite abruptly and wasn't planned properly. 

I want it, but came to a realization this team is like bashing all of our heads against a cement wall but we still come back for more.

the easy solution is the three of us just save up some cash and buy the team out.

For me regarding being a FlamesFan. 

It's like having a neighborhood restaurant that's neither great nor cheap; but you keep going back because it's close and you know all the menu items and keep hoping they will come up with a new dish or this year redo their menu from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1