2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I thought all of our going to be UFA's were in play... He's been in discussions around not being here next year. I think all have been in discussions and don't understand why you have those impressions?

Not sure why you singled out Tanev over any of the others. All of them are constantly part of the rumour mill and the injury risk is the same regardless of their history.

12 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Not sure why you singled out Tanev over any of the others. All of them are constantly part of the rumour mill and the injury risk is the same regardless of their history.

Tanev has an extensive injury history, so I did point him out because he will more than likely get injured... it's the way he plays.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I thought all of our going to be UFA's were in play... He's been in discussions around not being here next year. I think all have been in discussions and don't understand why you have those impressions?

Well, nothing imminent is there?  Just people like Lebrun saying they are in play.  NJ has him on their radar, BT looking at him because of history.  VAN likes him because Hughes played his best under Tanev.  Maybe he's doing pretty good right now?  IIRC, we were exploring re-signing him.  Maybe a disconnect on the value or term.  I hear more how Tanev makes sense to team X, but no actual rumors of an offer.  Maybe just me not hearing that stuff.    

But the real point was why sit him out until we trade him?  Would that be a marketing strategy, like pretending there is a bidding war for him and teams should up the ante?  If we sat him out for a week right now, teams might conclude he was hurt really bad and was a big risk for them. 

Lets say he's healthy and we sit him next week.  How long does he sit?  There's a trade freeze during Christmas but we play 4 games.  If the offers are still too low, do we just trade him and take the highest offer?  Sit him until the TDL?  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, nothing imminent is there?  Just people like Lebrun saying they are in play.  NJ has him on their radar, BT looking at him because of history.  VAN likes him because Hughes played his best under Tanev.  Maybe he's doing pretty good right now?  IIRC, we were exploring re-signing him.  Maybe a disconnect on the value or term.  I hear more how Tanev makes sense to team X, but no actual rumors of an offer.  Maybe just me not hearing that stuff.    

But the real point was why sit him out until we trade him?  Would that be a marketing strategy, like pretending there is a bidding war for him and teams should up the ante?  If we sat him out for a week right now, teams might conclude he was hurt really bad and was a big risk for them. 

Lets say he's healthy and we sit him next week.  How long does he sit?  There's a trade freeze during Christmas but we play 4 games.  If the offers are still too low, do we just trade him and take the highest offer?  Sit him until the TDL?  

I heard on a radio hit that he was offered but didn't take the offer? I dunno. With him is it term or price, but either way, he declined an offer, and it might have been term was the sticking point. But ya. I don't think you want to go too long... Mind you, LTIR could be helpful to some teams, which could be the cost in a long term deal.

How much more does he have to give in any case?

It is too bad Porier had such a bad injury to start the year. He would help inject some needed blueline PP help. 

Is this any sign that OK might ready soon? Although he is become such a wildcard now, I would not know what to expect with him😂

41 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

It is too bad Porier had such a bad injury to start the year. He would help inject some needed blueline PP help. 

Is this any sign that OK might ready soon? Although he is become such a wildcard now, I would not know what to expect with him😂

Updates are always hard to come by. All I see is "out indefinitely". Likely a ton of physio for his arm if it was deep, but guessing legs and cardio he could stay on top of.

• Like 1

I had heard he had stayed in Calgary this time so not totally shocked to see this. I had written him off at the start of the year but the word he was still in Calgary was nice to hear. I just hope he gets himself back on track.

Really happy to have Solo up though. That guy deserves a run of games and I think he could make us forget Z pretty quick. He won't have the big hits but he can play a sound D game. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Wonder if there was friction between Zadorov and Kylington.

If not I'm sure Reddit could create it.  I think best not to speculate that and wonder if the timing of the move came because Conroy and Kylington were in communications throughout.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

If not I'm sure Reddit could create it.  I think best not to speculate that and wonder if the timing of the move came because Conroy and Kylington were in communications throughout.  

Agreed, don't see the need to rush to speculation. 

As I said I had heard Kylington stayed in Calgary this time so this move isn't completely unexpected and I agree Conroy would have known this was coming. I think this is just merely a coincidence personally as I think even if, and we should stress that word, Kylington plays it likely wont' be for a while. 

Confirms what was already known thought, the Flames were smart not to retain salary in the Z trade. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, don't see the need to rush to speculation. 

As I said I had heard Kylington stayed in Calgary this time so this move isn't completely unexpected and I agree Conroy would have known this was coming. I think this is just merely a coincidence personally as I think even if, and we should stress that word, Kylington plays it likely wont' be for a while. 

Confirms what was already known thought, the Flames were smart not to retain salary in the Z trade. 

Well friction between Z and Kylington is speculation at best…what we do know is Conroy had mentioned is the trade opens some cap Flexibility to love players up and down (Coranato) but given the thin line on D and 3 mil vs 2.5 mil bing close I could see it being harder to bring Coranato up if Z and Kylington salaries were both active against the cap..in essence moving Z allows them to have both Kylington and Coranato and a little wiggle room for trades vs having all 3 they would be operating in that 10% over zone with no room for trades

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Oh yeah, wasn't trying to start any rumours, just the timing is interesting and the fact we haven't had any info in regards to Kylington being away from the team for the last year and a half.

It's odd that Kylington's departure from the team coincided with the Flames getting Weegar and Zadorov signed.  Not that it's related, just odd timing.  Zadorov signed an extention 2 weeks before Kylington signed, but Kylington never played last season.  No D traded this summer after Kylington resumed skating in the spring.  Kylington goes off before camp again. 

No rumors being suggested, just that the timing is odd.  Zadorov gone and the players resumes skating in front of the team.  Backlund mentioned he heard Kylington was going to be skating around the time the trade was announced. 

Anyway, I don't really care either way.  I am happy to see Kylington back in prep to possibly resume his career.  If he's able to regain his skills, he will bring something we have been lacking or at least some of what we lost in Zadorov.  The skating side of Zaddy. 

9 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well friction between Z and Kylington is speculation at best…what we do know is Conroy had mentioned is the trade opens some cap Flexibility to love players up and down (Coranato) but given the thin line on D and 3 mil vs 2.5 mil bing close I could see it being harder to bring Coranato up if Z and Kylington salaries were both active against the cap..in essence moving Z allows them to have both Kylington and Coranato and a little wiggle room for trades vs having all 3 they would be operating in that 10% over zone with no room for trades

It's still a ways off, but we need to open up a spot for Pelletier.  Coronato showed signs of being ready, but Pelletier proved he was ready.  We probably can't have a roster with all of Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, Pelletier, Duehr, Greer and Ruzicka.  Zary, Coronato and Pelletier are waiver exempt, but Duehr, Pospisil, Ruzicka and Greer are not.  

Interesting to see how they manage players coming off IR and recalls etc.  I don't really see a fit for Rooney.  The called up kids have cemented a roster spot (IMHO).  Greer is at least a top 12 or at worst a 13.  Ruzicka was playing well before the injury and demotion.  Duehr had the biggest dropoff in play that I have seen among the roster.  Pospisil may have seen his points pace drop off, but he is getting at least one HD chance per game.  Zary is the same, but has a higher skillset.  

Top 10 players?

Mange, Lindy, Govich, Zary, Kadri, Pospisil, Huberdeau, Backlund, Coleman, Greer.

To be considered:

Dube, Ruzicka, Duehr, Pelletier, Coronato.

Speculations or not its just great to see Kylingtons name and face again on the ice, I too don't think it will be a quick entrance, maybe some more conditioning but I've heard he kept in phenomenal shape "physically". I do think too there is a slight coincidence in the timing immediate after Zad's exit but regardless doesn't matter, moving forward and progressive thinking is all positives here.

Regarding Porier with the skate laceration I think this will be quite some time, as TD mentioned if its tendon/ligament it takes awhile.

I don't think speculation around the Kylington/Zadorov timing is off base at all.

Rooney, Pelletier, and Kylington look like they are close to returning and the Flames needed to create cap space. 

Now if you are getting into conspiracy theory territory that's a different story. 

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't think speculation around the Kylington/Zadorov timing is off base at all.

Rooney, Pelletier, and Kylington look like they are close to returning and the Flames needed to create cap space. 

Now if you are getting into conspiracy theory territory that's a different story. 

I would say that Pelletier is much further off than Kylington.

Kylington is needing to get up to NHL speed.

Pelletier is rehabbing.

If there is a connection to Zadorov being traded now, it may be more to do with the fact that the Flames knew Kylington was coming back to the rink at least the day before the trade.  Everyone knew he was going out the door, but the Flames had no certainty they had a NHL player coming back soon.  I don't know it's fact, just that it seems too close.  The reported discussion with VAN happened just before the trade.  They moved Beau just days before the trade for Zaddy.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that Pelletier is much further off than Kylington.

Kylington is needing to get up to NHL speed.

Pelletier is rehabbing.

If there is a connection to Zadorov being traded now, it may be more to do with the fact that the Flames knew Kylington was coming back to the rink at least the day before the trade.  Everyone knew he was going out the door, but the Flames had no certainty they had a NHL player coming back soon.  I don't know it's fact, just that it seems too close.  The reported discussion with VAN happened just before the trade.  They moved Beau just days before the trade for Zaddy.  

I'm sure they did. It would be p*ss poor asset management if you didnt have knowledge and status of your IR players.

36 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'm sure they did. It would be p*ss poor asset management if you didnt have knowledge and status of your IR players.

Players under the NHL program are not the same as an injured player.

You wouldn't have team docs dealing with him.

There isn't a lot of documentation on entering or exiting the program or how it runs.

Just that the program needs to be the one to release him from it.