2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think it's a win for him, in that the fans think Willie is worth 4 first rounders.  They think a trade gets you NcDavid or Drysaitl for him.  But overall, Hanifin + Bert + Domi makes them a lot tougher in the playoffs.  Gets them goals they don't score there.  And eliminates the $10M extension.  Big picture.  Murray bought out is a win.  I couldn't believe that his actual salary this year is $8M.  ANd Dorion still has a job!

i don't get why Murray is even in the league or why he was in Toronto. I'd have stayed clear of him

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would be worth a claim. At worst it’s competition for the kids.

I'm lukewarm. He's good at carrying the puck into the zone and puck protection though. 2 things we lack. He's not a tire fire, but the unbelievable zero finish of our own team is terrifying enough without him. Hopefully he snaps out of it. I do believe he'll be claimed by someone ahead of us on the priority list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm lukewarm. He's good at carrying the puck into the zone and puck protection though. 2 things we lack. He's not a tire fire, but the unbelievable zero finish of our own team is terrifying enough without him. Hopefully he snaps out of it. I do believe he'll be claimed by someone ahead of us on the priority list.

There's a good chance he gets claimed before we ignore him.  LOL

It's a low risk move by us.

Other teams have not come close to filling their rosters.

And quite a few have money.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would be worth a claim. At worst it’s competition for the kids.

Yes.  Worth a claim.  He is LHS but he plays RW his whole life.  We need some natural RWs like him.  I'd rather we move Coleman back to LW and keep Sharangovich on LW as well.

We only have Duehr right now.  Maybe Coronato makes the team.  We still two short.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes.  Worth a claim.  He is LHS but he plays RW his whole life.  We need some natural RWs like him.  I'd rather we move Coleman back to LW and keep Sharangovich on LW as well.

We only have Duehr right now.  Maybe Coronato makes the team.  We still two short.

He is worth having in the lineup, but how does the waiver thing work exactly? 

To me, he is not worth losing our pick order.  of which I do not understand.

Somebody's gonna pull a Treliving and put a Valimaki on waivers.  That's what we want.  I'm okay with picking him up, but what I want most is to be first in line when a GM really drops the ball.

It's probably unlikely that 15 other teams pass on Zadina, but if it happens a claim makes a lot of sense.

The Flames need one, if not two more forwards. I've got Duehr and Pelletier already on the team. That leaves room for Zary and Coronato to earn a job. With Coronato, I don't want to rush him. Probably not the worst thing in the world for him to start with the Wranglers. Zadina as a RW, would push him for that job.

It's a gamble, worth taking IMO. Look at the Tolvanen and Sprong's of the league. Waiver claims that end up scoring 20. Look at what the Yotes were able to get out of Valimaki. Bet on the draft pedigree. If it doesn't work out, it didn't cost anything.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's probably unlikely that 15 other teams pass on Zadina, but if it happens a claim makes a lot of sense.

The Flames need one, if not two more forwards. I've got Duehr and Pelletier already on the team. That leaves room for Zary and Coronato to earn a job. With Coronato, I don't want to rush him. Probably not the worst thing in the world for him to start with the Wranglers. Zadina as a RW, would push him for that job.

It's a gamble, worth taking IMO. Look at the Tolvanen and Sprong's of the league. Waiver claims that end up scoring 20. Look at what the Yotes were able to get out of Valimaki. Bet on the draft pedigree. If it doesn't work out, it didn't cost anything.

I don't believe you lose your spot ..it's always based on standings and until the new season starts it's based on final year end ..like draft order but without the lottery ( like Vegas would have last priority ) 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't believe you lose your spot ..it's always based on standings and until the new season starts it's based on final year end ..like draft order but without the lottery ( like Vegas would have last priority ) 

Yes I believe so. I think the Flames would be 16th, if they wanted to place a claim. 

It's probably unlikely he gets to Calgary. Arizona probably makes a claim

3 hours ago, zima said:

I kinda lost it when we didn't sign phillips I don't think we gave him a chance and it will probably bit us in the butt. 

I'll start by saying I  hope for his sake he does.. Calgary kid , beat the odds ..all of that ..

But in all reality and belief I think we need to stop playing this like we let the next St Louis get away .. 

I do believe he should have been given a longer look..  but in his limited time he showed nothing .. he didn't make the most of his 7 or 8 min a game or whatever he had ...  In comparison , Pelletier forced Sutter to play him .what did he have , a shot , a hit , a blocked shot and nearly scored a goal in that first game ( and Sutter called him out with praise in the dressing room for it . regardless of what he said to the microphone) 

We once outbid half the league for the last AHL phenom . Similar stats .. was called a shoe in to take the next step.. name was Austin Czarnik .. yes he's still in the league but he's really nothing special ..

Again I hope he beats the odds and takes it to the next level . (Actually I hope he stumbles out of the gate , we get him back on waivers and THEN lights it up lol)

But tbh I don't believe he will .. I think he can hold an NHL job .but don't think he's the next johnny ..

We did try and keep him.. we offerd him a 2 year deal , he chose to take one ..with his old coach ..  again good for him 

And this semi rant also isn't at you either .. it's more the ad nauseum social media and blogs that make it sound like we kicked the kid to the curb and we just blew a future hall of famer out if the org..  you gotta make the best if your chances and I don't believe he did that when he was given the ball ..

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

He is worth having in the lineup, but how does the waiver thing work exactly? 

To me, he is not worth losing our pick order.  of which I do not understand.

Somebody's gonna pull a Treliving and put a Valimaki on waivers.  That's what we want.  I'm okay with picking him up, but what I want most is to be first in line when a GM really drops the ball.

Trues, there may be better waiver options when teams have to make their cuts at training camp.  It might be better to save the waiver priority for that.  I'm not sure how waiver is determined after the season begins.  It's based around the standings... resets every month?

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not sure where the best thread is. Will put it here and the moves of this offseason could contribute to the class of 2024.

2024 NHL Draft: A very early top 32 ranking - Daily Faceoff

Some good D at the top of this class, a year out.

If the Flames were to finish 16th again, I'd have no issues drafting Michael Brandsegg-Nygard.

6'1", 194 lb. RHS Norwegian RW.

38 points in 35 games (17g, 21a) playing for Mora IK Sweden U-20.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Our depth is equally as bad as our cap situation. We likely should claim him. He's honestly no worse than our current RWers. He's on waivers due to asking for a trade and Stevie couldn't find a team. Yzerman has stated he wouldn't waive him if not for the player asking for a fresh start. He could clear and Yzerman actually wants to keep him.

As for losing our priority...get real. For another plug like Zahorna?

Here's the tea: his game never translated breaking in on the worst team in the league. He needed more time in the A, but you're the worst team in the league so plugging in what you've got. So he's done a lot of work becoming a well-rounded player rather than one dimensional. Never had much for linemates either.

He has a great shot but really needs accuracy work. He's a very good puck handler, even at gaining the zone. His D play is a work in progress and he's worked hard at that element so it's still improving.

Potential young 3RW that desperately needs a fresh start @ <2mil. I'm 50% worth the risk, 50% the Flames are a mess why bother. I'd prefer he stay with the Wings to correct their development screw-up.

I have no idea why we don't do claims for players that aren't plugs (Tolvanen), but we don't. We need to invent ways to try to get better while everyone around us is getting better.

• Like 1

Right now the following are UFAs and would likely sign for half of what Zadina costs.

Denis Malgin, Jesper Boqvist, Max Comtois, Noah Gregor, Julian Gauthier, Mason Shaw.

I'd want to be sure I can't get any of those players before I claimed Zadine. 1.8 is not exactly cheap for what he gives you (which isn't much). 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Right now the following are UFAs and would likely sign for half of what Zadina costs.

Denis Malgin, Jesper Boqvist, Max Comtois, Noah Gregor, Julian Gauthier, Mason Shaw.

I'd want to be sure I can't get any of those players before I claimed Zadine. 1.8 is not exactly cheap for what he gives you (which isn't much). 

I agree with some of those guys especially Gauthier fills RW bottom 6 out really well…

Zadine is a reclaim project but a reasonably priced one with huge up side and really low cost if he’s available Conroy should absolutely take a flyer in a waiver claim for him but also sign Gauthier…I don’t see our new guy slotting in with Hubby but I can see him with Gauthier and Ruzicka on the 3rd line being really hard to play against…also place Coleman on the 4th with Coronato…just not sure who would be a good fit at Ctr…maybe Dube as he’s a natural Ctr maybe a dangerous 4th line…our top lines are a complete mess but this could open up for:

Hubby/Lindholm/ Zadina

manji/Backlund/Kadri 

Ruzicka/ New guy from NJD/Gauthier

coleman/Dube/Coronato 

Pelts 

that could be a very solid line up with some flexible to move Coronato and Pelts with Coleman a Dube as Colman can slide to RW and still help lead them…

im Sure there are a lot of other combos there too…but the depth and flexibility would be really good with a huge injection of youth to start the season…

just claim Zadina and Definitely sign Gauthier even if they don’t get a shot at Zadina definitely sign Gauthier 

I agree that that FA opportunities like this (buy low) should be explored, possibly first.   I'm not super concerned about the 1.8 because he's only got 2 years left on it.   Actually guys on contracts like that tend to perform pretty well, cause they know they gotta.   But yeah.  As a rule, overpaying is a bad thing, even for smaller amounts.  all adds up.

I still think biggest faster is the picking order and how it's affected, which I don't understand.   Someone high-value will end up on waivers at some point.  Would be nice to be first in line when they are.

Fair enough.

I'd also like to target Puljujarvi for 900k x 1.  I've always thought he was a good defensive 3rd line RW with size and compete level.  He's a victim of being drafted way too high and then not living up to expectations.  He doing surgery so will probably be out until December.  We should take a chance on him.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I agree that that FA opportunities like this (buy low) should be explored, possibly first.   I'm not super concerned about the 1.8 because he's only got 2 years left on it.   Actually guys on contracts like that tend to perform pretty well, cause they know they gotta.   But yeah.  As a rule, overpaying is a bad thing, even for smaller amounts.  all adds up.

I still think biggest faster is the picking order and how it's affected, which I don't understand.   Someone high-value will end up on waivers at some point.  Would be nice to be first in line when they are.

If DET wants him back they can re-claim him if we decided to waive him in the future.  

If we like him, we should ask DET to retain salary on him after he clears.

That way we don't have dead cap and he doesn't have to clear again.

He's probably worth one of our B prospexts, since he asked for the trade.

Give him a chance on the roster at camp.

I'm not saying he's better, but why not look at the kid on a low risk trade.

If he's not on the NHL roster he costs just cash.

We can still go and take risks on other UFA's that may not be any better.

I'm a no on Zadina, just don't see it right now I'm pretty low on anyone from that 2018 first round that hasn't shown anything yet.  Quite possibly the worst forward draft class in recent memory, I'd rather go the UFA route on someone like Comtois who has at least shown something promising once at the NHL level, Zadina is borderline on being an NHLer