2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Man Conroy is sure getting thrown into the deep end to start his tenure as GM. Even a seasoned GM would have difficulty navigating this offseason. On the plus side he really gets a chance to put his stamp on this team right away.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hard to argue to with this take, and it is one of the reasons I am hesitant to give Lindholm an 8x$8m contract.

i dunno, I think it has a lot to do with line mates. Who was ever the #3 on that line that mattered? Plus, even McDavid failed to get guys like Pujujarvi going. Not saying our LW on his line aren't NHLers, but you're really only as good as who you play with.

I'd say that Toffolis totals are a testament to Lindholm. 

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

And another one…

definitely feels like it's time to change the teams mantra, build through the draft and create loyalty to the team culture. 

i think it is more about the mediocrity the team has been mired in, plus the fact all of the guys they'd be friends with have moved on, minus Marky... but I don't know what else... Maybe the old arena is hard to go to when others are in high class facilities. 

Need to change Phil's...

If we traded Hanifin, Lindholm and Backlund, we'd have how much Cap? About 15m...

are there any UFA worth a go at? 

do we sign an O'Rielly for the 5-5.5m for 3-4 years? He's a bit slow...

but if we got picks for the trades, and signed UFA...

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

definitely feels like it's time to change the teams mantra, build through the draft and create loyalty to the team culture. 

Dream on.

We are going to trade Hanifin for Konecny.  Backlund for David Savard.  Lindholm for Boone Jenner.  We are pushing our future in to make the playoffs now!

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dream on.

We are going to trade Hanifin for Konecny.  Backlund for David Savard.  Lindholm for Boone Jenner.  We are pushing our future in to make the playoffs now!

Maybe part of those come to pass.

No point in Jenner.

Konecny is middle 20's.

Savard is a slightly younger Tanev that we could trade.

Lindholm gets you young pieces if you trade Hanifin for a F.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Man Conroy is sure getting thrown into the deep end to start his tenure as GM. Even a seasoned GM would have difficulty navigating this offseason. On the plus side he really gets a chance to put his stamp on this team right away.

A part of me hopes it's 4D chess and Conroy is just using the media to prep the fanbase for a total rebuild and introduce his 5-year plan... *Because his hands were tied... They were the ones who didn't want to extend*

🙏

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

A part of me hopes it's 4D chess and Conroy is just using the media to prep the fanbase for a total rebuild and introduce his 5-year plan... *Because his hands were tied... They were the ones who didn't want to extend*

🙏

I think you do some good faith in trying to keep them for the guys who signed big money last year, they signed onto a vision of competing and now year 2 major pieces decide to move on.  Like it or not we are stuck with Kadri and Huberdeau for the time being, keeping them happy is important they can be leaders to young players in a good way or can create a bad environment in which you don't want to bring younger guys into.

21 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think you do some good faith in trying to keep them for the guys who signed big money last year, they signed onto a vision of competing and now year 2 major pieces decide to move on.  Like it or not we are stuck with Kadri and Huberdeau for the time being, keeping them happy is important they can be leaders to young players in a good way or can create a bad environment in which you don't want to bring younger guys into.

I can appreciate the idea to keep good faith with the guys who signed last year but at the same time, that was BT's promise to them.  Conroy never promised anything when they signed on the dotted line.

And while those big 3 would be unhappy, I think they would ultimately understand.  Last season was a failure and when you fail in pro sports, no one's job is safe.  If they think they can play like garbage, not buy into the coach's message, whine publicly, etc... they need to grow up. 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I can appreciate the idea to keep good faith with the guys who signed last year but at the same time, that was BT's promise to them.  Conroy never promised anything when they signed on the dotted line.

And while those big 3 would be unhappy, I think they would ultimately understand.  Last season was a failure and when you fail in pro sports, no one's job is safe.  If they think they can play like garbage, not buy into the coach's message, whine publicly, etc... they need to grow up. 

Who knows how much Connie was involved.  As a big part of the team, he is involved in initial signings.

But I digress.  As long as you get par value or higher for those guys, the new guys would not have issues.  They want to win not just tread water.  Lindholm is the only real loss and finding a new 1C is imperitive.  It likely means dealing a winger or two.  Again, as long as you move forwrd, all is fine.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Who knows how much Connie was involved.  As a big part of the team, he is involved in initial signings.

But I digress.  As long as you get par value or higher for those guys, the new guys would not have issues.  They want to win not just tread water.  Lindholm is the only real loss and finding a new 1C is imperitive.  It likely means dealing a winger or two.  Again, as long as you move forwrd, all is fine.

I would say all 3 of those guys are huge losses. Lindholm is a big loss for sure, but Hanifin is a 6’3” smooth skating defenseman who can play 23 mins a night, not a ton of those guys out there. Backlund is one of the best possession centers in the league, the possession and defensive numbers are going to take a massive hit without him and I would assume that the wingers on his line will take a step backwards.

Now it all depends on the players that come back in the trades, and the type of returns that Conroy targets. 

My fear is that this doesn’t change anything and ownership and upper management force Conroy to roll this roster out again, go for a playoff run and deal with the fall out afterwards. 

Let’s be the proactive franchise for once and recoup some assets for guys who don’t want to be here long term, or shouldn’t be here long term. 

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would say all 3 of those guys are huge losses. Lindholm is a big loss for sure, but Hanifin is a 6’3” smooth skating defenseman who can play 23 mins a night, not a ton of those guys out there. Backlund is one of the best possession centers in the league, the possession and defensive numbers are going to take a massive hit without him and I would assume that the wingers on his line will take a step backwards.

Now it all depends on the players that come back in the trades, and the type of returns that Conroy targets. 

My fear is that this doesn’t change anything and ownership and upper management force Conroy to roll this roster out again, go for a playoff run and deal with the fall out afterwards. 

Let’s be the proactive franchise for once and recoup some assets for guys who don’t want to be here long term, or shouldn’t be here long term. 

I agree with this. Figure out where you stand and if there is any uncertainty whatsoever you deal them now for max return.

Both Lindholm and Hanifin could fetch a fair bit in a trade.

• Like 1

First off, let's address the elephant in the room or the removed white elephant. Players pissed and moaned about the removal of the coach and now they give the team the middle finger salute, inmates running the asylum. IMHO this goes back to Trevling, and his knowledge of things. You can not tell me or convince me that he had ZERO knowledge of this. I call BS, The man just sewered Conroy and the Flames. 

Secondly, this now puts you into a rebuild mode, you are insane to try to retool this.  You now have 2 top 6 Centers and a top 4 dman leaving, but it won't stop there. How many more will say I didn't sign up for this Satoshi Nakamoto, Kadri and Hubie, Weegar were sold this would be a competitive team. Toffoli, Tanev, and Markstom all will be going WTF is going on here and get me out? 

Frankly, Trevling is a POS in my eyes. He left this club in a worse mess than when he got here. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well I just listened to Servalli on 960, and he mentioned that Calgary would prefer players who can play now in return, as opposed to picks and prospects.

Unfortunately, now we have to listen to a rumor monger for what the Flames are planning on doing.

I hope that the real decisions are made the same way they used to; quietly.

I am sure that some of the players look at Huska and think Sutter hockey.

Or that CGY cheaped out and went internal.

Hopefully that is not close to true and that they really are just waiting to see what direction the team is going.