2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Would it be worth it to offer sheet any RFA at the moment? 

like what if we offered Lafrenier a $4.2m. That's only a 2nd rounder. I'm sure the Rangers would oblige and sign it. Now what if we offered $5.5m. Anything in this range, $4,201,488 to $6,302,230, the compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd rounder.

could the Rangers sustain an offer at that level? 

I might be willing to do a deal like that if we thought Lafrenier would continue to grow as a player. Are there any other players that would look good as an offer sheet candidate.

it isn't a nice thing to do, but we are in a big bind and need to get younger AND still compete.

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

like what if we offered Lafrenier a $4.2m. That's only a 2nd rounder. I'm sure the Rangers would oblige and sign it. Now what if we offered $5.5m. Anything in this range, $4,201,488 to $6,302,230, the compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd rounder.

I might be willing to do a deal like that if we thought Lafrenier would continue to grow as a player. Are there any other players that would look good as an offer sheet candidate.

it isn't a nice thing to do, but we are in a big bind and need to get younger AND still compete.

Aside from the fact that i think that's too much for him i don't think the Flames can do an offer sheet using the 2024 first round pick. Rules for offer sheets are that you have to use your own draft picks and the Flames 2024 1st rounder is part of the conditionally Monahan trade (Montreal can elect to use it if it's between 20-32). 

I could be wrong but as I interpret the rules that means they can't use it to offer sheet as there are conditions in place that would mean they can use it and i don't think provisions exist for it to default to another first round pick. 

Did anyone catch the Regher interview on Barn Burner? Found it a very interesting perspective on the back end of that interview. His thoughts on players, after hockey life ect.  Loved Reggie, and his conversation on a contract extension with LA and how he turned down 1 extra year and 3 million in his twilight years. Not your average player for sure, he just felt his body was only good for that duration which was not far from his body, his teammates, or the organization, class act for sure. Strange how 2 former players and Flames guys have the same perspective on today's players, the team, and decisions that have been made with this organization recently. Good listen if you have the time IMHO anyway. 

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Aside from the fact that i think that's too much for him i don't think the Flames can do an offer sheet using the 2024 first round pick. Rules for offer sheets are that you have to use your own draft picks and the Flames 2024 1st rounder is part of the conditionally Monahan trade (Montreal can elect to use it if it's between 20-32). 

I could be wrong but as I interpret the rules that means they can't use it to offer sheet as there are conditions in place that would mean they can use it and i don't think provisions exist for it to default to another first round pick. 

The 1st round pick is locked in until the FLA trade is complete.  But we could push it up to the limit for a 2nd round pick.

Careful of revenge though.  We've seen it before.  Most recently with Kotkaniemi/Aho.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

DeAngelo bought out by Philly.

RHS with comp numbers to Ras Andersson.

I think he must make most of his money from buyouts.

Could be a cheap add for some team.

how is he defensively. Might be a blocker for a Hanifin deal, as a team doesn't need to give anything up.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

how is he defensively. Might be a blocker for a Hanifin deal, as a team doesn't need to give anything up.

Not definitive, but in CAR he was +30 with 10g and 41A.

In Philly he was -27 with 11g and 31a.

Neither of those were complete seasons.

Not a great thing to be first at.  On one hand you don't hear as much about off ice character stuff, although I'm sure he's still a d-bag,  If he's smart he just heads back to Carolina because that system made up for a lot of his deficiencies.  I've never had interest in him and still don't and I don't see him having interest in coming here either.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I thought he has an issue with the goalie in NY?

If his problem is race, then he's gonna have issues.

Tony DeAngelo is the epitome of toxic hockey culture. The level of forgiveness is equal to the level of talent. He's an ex-Sting player and a dirtbag of a person. How he got drafted is a major black eye. Why he's still in the league is completely shameful.

Toxic culture is fine if you can help a team win a Blockchaining game. If you can't, you'll be made an example of. Even though you aren't half the dirtbag of the DeAngelo's.

47 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Tony DeAngelo is the epitome of toxic hockey culture. The level of forgiveness is equal to the level of talent. He's an ex-Sting player and a dirtbag of a person. How he got drafted is a major black eye. Why he's still in the league is completely shameful.

Toxic culture is fine if you can help a team win a Blockchaining game. If you can't, you'll be made an example of. Even though you aren't half the dirtbag of the DeAngelo's.

Well, I had no idea of his leanings and the type of person he was.  The only thing I ever heard about was his berating the NY goalie, so obviously that's not the only issue with him.  One team buys him out.  2nd team gives him a contract.  3rd team signs him then buys him out.  

Costly dirbag signings, though Philly is not surprising.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I had no idea of his leanings and the type of person he was.  The only thing I ever heard about was his berating the NY goalie, so obviously that's not the only issue with him.  One team buys him out.  2nd team gives him a contract.  3rd team signs him then buys him out.  

Costly dirbag signings, though Philly is not surprising.  

Only player to ever be bought out twice. Go figure. The league will step up on Bill Peters from a decade previous, but not pos DeAngelo from at least 16 years old to present. Amazing the double standard.

2 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Weegar 1on1 at Stampede enjoying Calgary And Stampede Bought himself a house versus lastyear he was renting didnt have time to buy a place

Duehr got married this weekend.

Thing is, that some players that had less than great seasons had things going on.

Lindholm and Markstrom were both becoming new dads.

It's tough to separate home from work during that time and the months leading up and after can be nervewracking.  Something tells me that this year will see both players at the top of their games.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Apparently there was a rumour we were in talks with San Jose regarding Couture and Eklund for Lindholm. 

I dunno. Sounds iffy.

Ya I saw this rumour too.  I think this type of trade is good if the prospect is worth it.  SJ trying to pawn off Monahan for a 1st pick basically.  Instead, it's 4-years of Couture and the reward is Eklund.

I don't know enough of Eklund to have an opinion.  An undersized playmaking LHS LW.  Put up decent but not elite numbers in the AHL last year. On the surface, that sounds like what we don't need and we have an abundance of as an organization.