2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Well I just listened to Servalli on 960, and he mentioned that Calgary would prefer players who can play now in return, as opposed to picks and prospects.

Of course we would be targeting win-now.  Who were we fooling?  I didn't get my hopes up even for one millimeter.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Of course we would be targeting win-now.  Who were we fooling?  I didn't get my hopes up even for one millimeter.

I got about 3 microns of elevation. Seravelli now reporting Backlund is not wanting to re-sign. Which is actually perfect for me.

If the reporting is accurate and Hanifin, Lindholm, Backlund and Toffoli all don’t plan on re-signing with the Flames, combined with the fact that Treliving turned a contract extension and he chose to walk away from the Flames, that makes me wonder about if there is something bigger at play with the Flames.

Or it could be that players talk and if 1 or two of those guys have decided to not return than that makes the decision easier to not return for the others.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If the reporting is accurate and Hanifin, Lindholm, Backlund and Toffoli all don’t plan on re-signing with the Flames, combined with the fact that Treliving turned a contract extension and he chose to walk away from the Flames, that makes me wonder about if there is something bigger at play with the Flames.

Or it could be that players talk and if 1 or two of those guys have decided to not return then that makes the decision easier to not return for the others.

All could be at play here. But I can see why not many want to play in Calgary if most of the main pieces leave. Too much transition and getting to know new players. It's gotta be hard. No consistency sucks. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Or it could be that players talk and if 1 or two of those guys have decided to not return than that makes the decision easier to not return for the others.

Probably for some, mainly Hanifin who was close with Tkachuk, seeing him go on that run put in doubt on if he could do that here, possibly with Lindholm too, and the other 2 are over 30 and they hear about those guys and see the writing on the wall.  Definitely a cause for concern with so many players not wanting to be here, in some cases turning down better money to leave.

Backlund and Toffoli not wanting to extend doesn't concern me all that much.

Heading into his age 35 season, it's fair to say the Flames have got the best hockey out of Backlund. A 2yr extension isn't all that interesting to me.

Same with Toffoli. I'm not all that interested in a 3 or 4yr deal for a player that will be 32 in April. Especially one that isn't a strong skater by any stretch.

Hanifin and Lindholn hurt for sure, but they aren't necessarily "franchise players". I don't think the Flames hoist a Cup with either guy on a massive extension.

• Like 1

Yikes, and if Lindholm doesn’t run and sign that deal right away, things must be really bad within the organization.

Huberdeau, Kadri and Lindholm are all very good players, don’t get me wrong, but is that really the core of a Stanley Cup contender? I would say no. It might be the core of bubble playoff team, but not a contender.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's time to take your medicine, if you're the Flames.

Load up on top 60 picks in the next two drafts.

Get out in front of it and it doesn't have to be a decade of pain.

Why do you sound like you have your hopes high?  You know we will trade for vets with term.  No picks coming back.

I am not happy to hear all these Flames players want to leave because I understand the Flames are not mandated to rebuild.  We know what's best under these circumstances is to sell everyone for picks and prospects but that's not what they are going to do.  We will trade for vets with term instead.  It's going to be a nightmare after the dust settles.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I am not happy to hear all these Flames players want to leave because I understand the Flames are not mandated to rebuild.  We know what's best under these circumstances is to sell everyone for picks and prospects but that's not what they are going to do.  We will trade for vets with term instead.  It's going to be a nightmare after the dust settles.

What if those players with term WANT to be here? Much of the success of teams is built on trust and WANTING to play with each other and for each other. Just saying.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't know who's trading guys with term for guys with 1 year remaining.  

Sounds to me like Lindholm holds the keys to the car.  Older players want to win..so players like Toffoli , Tanev and Backlund don't have the luxury of one or 2 years to be a contender again.. so I'm not all that surprised they're taking a lead and waiting on Lindholm..

If Lindholm stays long term, then that will and Should have a ripple effect .. Hanifin I believe was always going to be plan b in terms of trade bait to fill that top line .. 

If it should happen ..both Lindholm and Hanifin should get you a haul of picks , players and prospects ..Lindholm more so 

But in sorry. We are not capable of a tank rebuild even if we had the go ahead ... Unless he asks to be moved markstrom  isn't going anywhere ..he has a full nmc.. under no circumstances should we be sweetening any pots to take him ,  Kadri and or Huberdeau . .  Or you're giving up the very picks you are trying to cash in on .

But I also fully agree with Conroy at this point .. if you don't wanna be here , then go .. we don't want you . 

Just for fun tho... Since they started it all due to not liking playing for Sutter . Send both Lindholm and backs to Columbus to play for Babcock 🤣🤣

• Like 1