2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

9 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Sorry to all for dragging this so off topic especially since I dont have alot of insight into the upcoming draft classes.

I have stated the same.

I had asked the resident experts to provide a list of their top 30 before the draft.

Not that I am looking for detailed stuff, just that when we make picks or pass on players it makes me wonder.

Did we miss something?  

In the draft day thread, we hear a lot of "hope we get this with our next pick".

But then we take someone nobody is really talking about.

I mean I knew about Kylington.

Didn't know anything about our 2nd and 3rd pick.

Just another list...

Pretty much locked in but the bottom 10is subject to change due to players 33 to 40.lol

I've viewed most of what was possible by streaming, interviews and shift-by-shift highlights as opposed to just highlights. The joy of foreign languages is that you have to watch.lol

1. Connor Bedard - R C

2. Leo Carlsson - L W/C

3. Adam Fantilli - L C

4. Will Smith - R C

5. Matvei Michkov R W

6. Colby Barlow L W

7. Zach Benson L W

8. Eduard Sale L W

9. Ryan Leonard R W/C

10. Oliver Stone L C

11. David Reinbacher R D

12. Dalibor Dvorsky L C/W

13. Matthew Wood R W

14. Nate Danielson R C

15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka R D

16. Dmitri Simashev L D

17. Brayden Yager R C

18. Andrew Cristall L W

19. Riley Heidt L C/W

20. Calum Ritchie R W

21. Gabriel Perrault L W

22. Quentin Musty L W

23. Tom Willander R D

24. Otto Stenberg L C

25. Samuel Honzek L C

26. Gavin Brindley R W

27. Jayden Perron R C/W

28. Kasper Halttunen R C/W

29. Ethan Gauthier R W

30. Michael Hrabel L G

31. Daniil But R W

32. Maxim Strbak R D

*edit

Just to qualify, I think I still have Michkov too high. He's only in the K because Sochi is terrible. I can't really buy the hype. Not saying he isn't a great prospect, but I was expecting something closer to Bedard rather than Perron.

I'm not applying teams, so I'm not saying the Flames should draft Smash, but he should go first rd. He's knocked for O production, which means almost zero to me with Dmen.

I think that I'm overrating Michkov, Sale and Pellikka currently. Perron is tiny, and like Gaudreau without being like Gaudreau's game, he's an original that just sees the game differently. So fun to watch. It'll be interesting to see how he does at UND.

Carlsson and Fantilli are pretty much a tie for me. Edge to Carlsson for rolling into the SHL with a real presence and ripping through J20 like he's wasting his time at 16-17.

The next Malkin is not a stretch at all.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just another list...

Pretty much locked in but the bottom 10is subject to change due to players 33 to 40.lol

I've viewed most of what was possible by streaming, interviews and shift-by-shift highlights as opposed to just highlights. The joy of foreign languages is that you have to watch.lol

1. Connor Bedard - R C

2. Leo Carlsson - L W/C

3. Adam Fantilli - L C

4. Will Smith - R C

5. Matvei Michkov R W

6. Colby Barlow L W

7. Zach Benson L W

8. Eduard Sale L W

9. Ryan Leonard R W/C

10. Oliver Stone L C

11. David Reinbacher R D

13. Matthew Wood R W

14. Nate Danielson R C

15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka L D

16. Dmitri Simashev L D

17. Brayden Yager R C

18. Andrew Cristall L W

19. Riley Heidt L C/W

20. Calum Ritchie R W

21. Gabriel Perrault L W

22. Quentin Musty L W

23. Tom Willander R D

24. Otto Stenberg L C

25. Samuel Honzek L C

26. Gavin Brindley R W

27. Jayden Perron R C/W

28. Kasper Halttunen R C/W

29. Ethan Gauthier R W

30. Michael Hrabel L G

31. Daniil But R W

32. Maxim Strbak R D

*edit

Just to qualify, I think I still have Michkov too high. He's only in the K because Sochi is terrible. I can't really buy the hype. Not saying he isn't a great prospect, but I was expecting something closer to Bedard rather than Perron.

I'm not applying teams, so I'm not saying the Flames should draft Smash, but he should go first rd. He's knocked for O production, which means almost zero to me with Dmen.

I think that I'm overrating Michkov, Sale and Pellikka currently. Perron is tiny, and like Gaudreau without being like Gaudreau's game, he's an original that just sees the game differently. So fun to watch. It'll be interesting to see how he does at UND.

Carlsson and Fantilli are pretty much a tie for me. Edge to Carlsson for rolling into the SHL with a real presence and ripping through J20 like he's wasting his time at 16-17.

The next Malkin is not a stretch at all.

Pretty awesome list, thanks!

Yeah.  I'll do this.  I'm in.    But, because I'm a jerk mostly, I'll submit mine on June 27th.

I was also originally very high on Michkov but don't have that set in stone by any means.   Looking at this list makes me want more picks.

Bedard's a bumb

Right now, I think the pick will be one of the Western league kids. Yager/Danielson/Cristall/Heidt. Or whichever kids from the NTDP are left.

This draft is likely gonna be ran as if BT was still at the helm. They've taken NA kids early, Europeans later. 2024 will be interesting to see the draft philosophy of the new GM.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Right now, I think the pick will be one of the Western league kids. Yager/Danielson/Cristall/Heidt. Or whichever kids from the NTDP are left.

This draft is likely gonna be ran as if BT was still at the helm. They've taken NA kids early, Europeans later. 2024 will be interesting to see the draft philosophy of the new GM.

I kind of look at it as sets of 5 players, then 11-21, 22-35, 36-50. As in, I think anyone in each set can go anywhere in that range. I'm sure scouting teams will be having pretty heated discussions. It really has to come down to that vain attempt at speculating what the progression looks like.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:21 AM, conundrumed said:

1. Connor Bedard - R C

2. Leo Carlsson - L W/C

3. Adam Fantilli - L C

4. Will Smith - R C

5. Matvei Michkov R W

6. Colby Barlow L W

7. Zach Benson L W

8. Eduard Sale L W

9. Ryan Leonard R W/C

10. Oliver Stone L C

11. David Reinbacher R D

13. Matthew Wood R W

14. Nate Danielson R C

15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka L D

So, with a lotto win, we are looking somewhere between Michkov to Axel S-P.

Of course, even the best lists don't hold when picks start going erarly or later.

Thanks for helping identify the ranking.  I have heard about varios players in the top 32, but never sure where they actually fit in.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lardis' Peterborough to Hamilton trade raises suspicions. Not great on a good team to lights out on a terrible team. He got the usage that he couldn't earn on the Petes perhaps.

I respect it.  Need to think more.

Only thing is, these are goals, not assists.  He's facing the same kind of defencemen and the same goalies (sort of) no matter what team he's on.   Also notable that his production went even higher in the playoffs, even if limited sample size, against a very good team.   

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

depends on if we win the lotto. Right now it is 16th, but after the lotto will be the final draft positions. 

I mean, the good news about picking 16 is that even if another team wins the lottery, we can't drop down any further.

Silver linings!

Love.

edit: spelling and context error

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I mean, the good news about picking 16 is that even if another team wins the lottery, we can drop down any further.

Silver linings!

Love.

Oops, I thought we ended up 15th.  Good thing we won that last game.

I guess Cody Barlow is in range now.  LOL

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Lardis' Peterborough to Hamilton trade raises suspicions. Not great on a good team to lights out on a terrible team. He got the usage that he couldn't earn on the Petes perhaps.

wouldn't it be great if we could find a Larkin type in the spots we will draft? He was drafted 15th?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I almost have a D only list I'll post. I'll do 20 I think, that would prolly cover 3 rds. Reallty wish we could recoup a 3rd or 2. There are some dark horses there for sure.

This guy built a neat little trending tool worth checking out:

https://piyer97.shinyapps.io/NHLDraft2023/

Thanks, nice tool.  Looks like Brayden Yager and Nate Danielson are both trending the wrong way.

So how quickly do the Flames need to hire a GM and coach? I would assume that the scouts have their favorites regardless of whos hired but would a fresh GM put 100% faith in scouts he may have a very limited relationship with?  Also is getting a coach in place beforehand factor into the draft plan?

8 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So how quickly do the Flames need to hire a GM and coach? I would assume that the scouts have their favorites regardless of whos hired but would a fresh GM put 100% faith in scouts he may have a very limited relationship with?  Also is getting a coach in place beforehand factor into the draft plan?

Feels like Maloney and Bean are interested in changing fan sentiment without changing the roster so the logical hire would be to promote Conroy to GM so we keep everything rolling.  No major shake-up.  Or maybe promote Tod Button to GM so he has more control over the draft which is something the Flames need to focus on for the next few years.  For coach, Muller or Huska makes sense to keep consistency.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's definitely a really cool piece of work. Buddy's done a great job of laying rankings across the season.

I want Yager or Danielson but they are both not trending well.  Reinbacher would be nice but he's out of range.  Sandin-Pellikka, you've listed him as L D but he's actually RHS.  I don't mind him but he's a smaller offensive D.  Still though, we need to add RHS D to the prospect pool.  He would be a good add at 16th.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Feels like Maloney and Bean are interested in changing fan sentiment without changing the roster so the logical hire would be to promote Conroy to GM so we keep everything rolling.  No major shake-up.  Or maybe promote Tod Button to GM so he has more control over the draft which is something the Flames need to focus on for the next few years.  For coach, Muller or Huska makes sense to keep consistency.

Well that make zero sense.  They know full well that the team is not built quite right.

The cap doesn't even allow them to just keep the people already signed.

Next year was going to be a problem if they won the cup or failed miserably.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well that make zero sense.  They know full well that the team is not built quite right.

The cap doesn't even allow them to just keep the people already signed.

Next year was going to be a problem if they won the cup or failed miserably.

Well we all heard Bean and Maloney say it.  This is a good team.  Doesn't need changes.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well we all heard Bean and Maloney say it.  This is a good team.  Doesn't need changes.

must be true then lol.

Here I thought they would keep it the same because all the players who should be traded are in boat anchor contracts.

But actually it's because this is a good team.