2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Tre looks at trading for Dvorak. Mostly in an effort to bring in guys that Tkachuk knows and has played with to keep him around. 

I also think Tre has looked at Dvorak before, so it would make sense.

Montreal needs to clear some cap, and they have Suzuki and Dach down the middle now.

I would be okay with Dvorak, but not at the price they were asking last season.  We have extra D now, so it would make sense for a trade with one of the extras.  Valimaki has more value, since he has a current contract.  Kylington is likely headed to arbitration if he is offered less than $2M.  His agent would probably tell him he stands to get an award higher than that.  Maybe Kylington moves the needle more in a trade offer, but the cap is not certain with him.

At the very least, we would have another C.  At best, we could have Dvorak on the top line with Tkachuk.

25 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

what reallt torched me with johnny situation and has me so soured he how jonnhy handled it i dont even feel comfortable wearing my flames jersery

You still see Iggy and Kipper jerseys out there, right?  Be proud of the crest on the front.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, Iggy was being traded and only would allow one deal.

Kipper was going to be traded and retired.

But both were better humans.

As we all could be. I'm sure Iggy appreciated leaving and being able to take his family for a walk through the park like a normal human does, unrecognized on occasion, at the very least.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As we all could be. I'm sure Iggy appreciated leaving and being able to take his family for a walk through the park like a normal human does, unrecognized on occasion, at the very least.

Or be your everyday average motorist

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, I get it.  Replace humans with character player and it comes off less acerbic.  I was more talking about the way he approached the situation.  Richard move, but I can't say I blame him for wanting the best for his family.  Anything he says is going to be disected by media and fans.  

I tend to fall into the same trap as a lot of fans for the hockey side of it, where a decision like this has far reaching hockey impacts.  It almost makes sense that he wants to disappear into the woodwork, without having to put up a public face.  CGY is a hockey mad city at times.  The expectations put on him (and moreso with a big 8 year deal) would have been too much.   

I myself am a little far away from the situation.  EDM is just as hard on players with expectations as CGY.  Hall, Eberly, Strome, Puljujarvi, Schultz, Bear, etc.  You don't win the cup every year and somehow this comes down to one whipping boy.

If there is truth to Mangiapane being told to accept QO and focus on UFA next season, same as I believe Tkachuk is doing, then likely best to trade both now to let other teams try and negotiate longer contracts. If the players are focused on the business aspect, then treat it as just business doing the best for the team.

If Mangiapane will sign 4 years, 5 mil I think that is reasonable. That takes him to 30. Still time to cash in UFA.

Both Mangiapane and Tkachuk carry solid value in trade, speed up the re-tool with quality young roster players coming back.

I am really at the point where a rebuild or retool is the best option for this team. I just wish that ownership would see it the same way and give Treliving an extension to make it happen.

We have to stop building around wingers. We need to find a number 1 center and a number 1 defenseman and build this team properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

they also left on better terms and handled things like a adult

I mean sort of but not really. All 3 of them used their contractual rights to better their situation at the expense of the Flames. Flames had a deal for Kipper that he vetoed, Iginla changed his mind and Johnny kept them waiting. At the core it wasn't really that different. 

I get the anger and disappointment about his decision and how it went down but I don't get the idea you would dislike someone forever or boo them. Move on and appreciate what he did here because it's pretty rare players leave on perfect terms. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get the anger and disappointment about his decision and how it went down but I don't get the idea you would dislike someone forever or boo them. Move on and appreciate what he did here because it's pretty rare players leave on perfect terms. 

I was angry for a couple of days, but seriously folks, to go on a path of relentless character assassination because one guy made a career decision speaks to our character as much as it does his. Especially basing it off of "scoops" and assumptions. 

It wasn't a hockey decision, it was a life one.

Move on...

• Like 1

I think its very unlikely the Flames land Kadri as it's starting to sound like the only reason he is on the market is Colorado needs to trim space and he's waiting for that. Sounds like he wanted to see if he'd hit a home run and now that he isn't it's really Colorado where he wants to go back. 

There are some rumors that Avs were interested in dealing Girard and if so that's a call the Flames should make. Him and Tanev would make a very top notch pair IMO and he has a very reasonable contract. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think its very unlikely the Flames land Kadri as it's starting to sound like the only reason he is on the market is Colorado needs to trim space and he's waiting for that. Sounds like he wanted to see if he'd hit a home run and now that he isn't it's really Colorado where he wants to go back. 

There are some rumors that Avs were interested in dealing Girard and if so that's a call the Flames should make. Him and Tanev would make a very top notch pair IMO and he has a very reasonable contract. 

Yeah I would be all over Girard, he would solidify the top 4. If the plan is to stay competitive, then we are going to need to upgrade our defence.

Any improvements to this team are most likely going to come in the form of trades. 

If Colorado is going with Kadri, I would love to find a way to try and pry Newhook out of there.

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah I would be all over Girard, he would solidify the top 4. If the plan is to stay competitive, then we are going to need to upgrade our defence.

Any improvements to this team are most likely going to come in the form of trades. 

If Colorado is going with Kadri, I would love to find a way to try and pry Newhook out of there.

If we did something like Dube (2.3) + Kylington (2) for Newhook (.9) + Girard (5), that would save them a bit.

Kylington would probably be more inclined to sign for less to stay there.

Maybe a pipe dream, but it's decent value on Dube.

The other option would be Dube for Girard.

The Kylington for Necas from COL.

Yep, in my dreams.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I am really at the point where a rebuild or retool is the best option for this team. I just wish that ownership would see it the same way and give Treliving an extension to make it happen.

We have to stop building around wingers. We need to find a number 1 center and a number 1 defenseman and build this team properly.

If we go full rebuild, then is BT the right guy?  He already had one shot at it.  Rarely do GMs get two chances to rebuild a franchise.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we go full rebuild, then is BT the right guy?  He already had one shot at it.  Rarely do GMs get two chances to rebuild a franchise.

Did he? All of the best assets were traded before he took over, and in the 2014 draft, I think Brian Burke was pulling the strings. I think it became his team right around the time that they traded for Dougie Hamilton, and at that point, I think they thought the rebuild was over.

Love.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Let’s not forget that not only does Tre have to worry about what to do about Tkachuk, he also has Mangipane to worry about. The last negotiation with him was difficult and I could be wrong, but I believe that his agent is on the record as saying that his recommendation for Mangiapane is to accept his QO and go to free agency next year.

The deadline for players to accept their QO is July 22nd, so next Friday. So we should get some clarity by next week.

yup, I felt he had tough negotiations with a few players and forgot about the Mang one… it must be tough to be GM because while you like the player, a GM has to argue a player’s limitations pointing out all faults why they don’t deserve more. Not that he wouldn’t point out the positive… 

8 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Did he? All of the best assets were traded before he took over, and in the 2014 draft, I think Brian Burke was pulling the strings. I think it became his team right around the time that they traded for Dougie Hamilton, and at that point, I think they thought the rebuild was over.

Love.

I'm leaning towards the same.  He was on training wheels the first time around.  I'm sure there are things he wants to do differently this time (if he even gets another chance).

biggest question mark for me is Monahan

How much of the season was he really banged up ?  was he hiding some ?

it seemed as though his wrist surgery was still hindering him ..

Because if he can come to camp healthy .. i want to see what he can do ..

He could be the wildcard ..and if hes not showing it by TDL, then move him .. you wont have to pay somebody then 

• Like 1