2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Not sure why so many ppl are keen on moving Hanifin…he’s still a good, young Dman on a value contract. I get the need to upgrade still at the fwd position , especially RW but I don’t think moving Hanifin now makes much sense. I think we’re more likely to see Lucic/Valimaki on the move. We could afford to lose a bottom pairing D man and pick up a guy like Stone on the cheap. 

I’d still love Barzal but that’s a long shot now especially with Kadri in the mix. We really need an elite puck carrier but think we are pretty much done with any major moves. There’s a lot of new chemistry this team needs to let settle. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I think Pelletier - Backlund would be the perfect way to develop Pelletier.  Backlund has brought along Mange, and even Tkachuk and Lindholm.  Let Pelletier play on Backlund's wing.

bennett too, but only for one season.

I think the Flames keep Hanifin for this season.

At 4.9, he's still an incredible value. The blueline is deep, but LD isn't nearly as deep as RD and I know Weegar can play LD if need be. 

There's such a thing as having too much roster turnover. Right now, I think the Flames are right on that line. Tons of turnover at key spots. If the Flames come out of the gates slow, I don't think it would be a surprise.

Ideally, you keep Hanifin and sign him to an extension. If he's looking at Nure/Werenski money as opposed to H. Lindholm, then you have to explore a trade. I like Hanifin, but the Flames can't be paying him 9+

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rickross said:

Not sure why so many ppl are keen on moving Hanifin…he’s still a good, young Dman on a value contract. I get the need to upgrade still at the fwd position , especially RW but I don’t think moving Hanifin now makes much sense. I think we’re more likely to see Lucic/Valimaki on the move. We could afford to lose a bottom pairing D man and pick up a guy like Stone on the cheap. 

I’d still love Barzal but that’s a long shot now especially with Kadri in the mix. We really need an elite puck carrier but think we are pretty much done with any major moves. There’s a lot of new chemistry this team needs to let settle. 

If you're only moving Lucic and Valimaki, then you are not getting a top 6 RW.  You have to give to get.  We don't want to trade Hanifin if we don't have to.  But I think we have to.

No one here has yet suggested this other than me but Andersson is going to be the one who can fetch the most out of our whole group on D.  RHS RD top pair, 50-points last season.  If we believe Weegar can replace Andersson for the next 2 years, then Andersson could be a piece we move.  The strength of our D right now is actually RD with Weegar and Tanev as a 1/2 punch... trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness as they say.  If we are willing to move Andersson, here are some possibilities:

Jason Robertson

William Nylander

Mark Scheifele

Could also throw in teams missing RD like OTT, BUF,... maybe even Montreal wants a young RD to build around.  I'm probably missing 3 to 5 teams willing to give up a top line RW for Andersson. While I don't believe the league views Andersson as elite #1 Dman, I do believe the consensus is that he's a top pairing RD.  At his age... and considering RHS premium (although offset by RHS RW premium)... should be very valuable.  Teams care more about RHS RD than RHS RW.

If we want a 2nd line level RHS RW, then Hanifin should get it done.  If we want a season altering change, then Andersson is the one to move.

Leaves us with something like,

Hanifin - Weegar

Kylington - Tanev

Valimaki - Zadorov

x: Meloche

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If you're only moving Lucic and Valimaki, then you are not getting a top 6 RW.  You have to give to get.  We don't want to trade Hanifin if we don't have to.  But I think we have to.

No one here has yet suggested this other than me but Andersson is going to be the one who can fetch the most out of our whole group on D.  RHS RD top pair, 50-points last season.  If we believe Weegar can replace Andersson for the next 2 years, then Andersson could be a piece we move.  The strength of our D right now is actually RD with Weegar and Tanev as a 1/2 punch... trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness as they say.  If we are willing to move Andersson, here are some possibilities:

Jason Robertson

William Nylander

Mark Scheifele

Could also throw in teams missing RD like OTT, BUF,... maybe even Montreal wants a young RD to build around.  I'm probably missing 3 to 5 teams willing to give up a top line RW for Andersson. While I don't believe the league views Andersson as elite #1 Dman, I do believe the consensus is that he's a top pairing RD.  At his age... and considering RHS premium (although offset by RHS RW premium)... should be very valuable.  Teams care more about RHS RD than RHS RW.

If we want a 2nd line level RHS RW, then Hanifin should get it done.  If we want a season altering change, then Andersson is the one to move.

Leaves us with something like,

Hanifin - Weegar

Kylington - Tanev

Valimaki - Zadorov

x: Meloche

If Scheifele becomes available for Hanifin/Andersson then of course you explore that route. I just can’t see Chev not expecting a Kings ransom in return for the Jets franchise player.  If a “wants to leave” Tkachuk nets u Huberdeau, Weegar, top prospect and a 1st….I can only imagine what a “wants to stay” Scheifele would command. Hanifin/Andersson alone wouldn’t get it done. 

I think we regret a Andersson for Willie “Bystander” Nylander trade. Rasmus isn’t too far off Willies offensive production but he’s leagues ahead of him on the defensive side of things. I can’t see Willie Bystander fitting well under the expectations of a Sutter system. You can trust Rasmus to both shutdown and defend as well as chip in offensively and run the PP. Willie is too 1 way of a player, can’t be trusted on defence, can’t be trusted playing against the opposing teams top players. We’d lose that trade easy. 

I see where you’re coming from though…to land a top 6 winger will not come cheap. I’m not saying Lucic/Valimaki are our sole trade chips at the moment , just the more likely to get moved. Flames are being pegged with arguably the best defensive core in the league on paper right now. We lost the top line in the NHL for potentially the best defence. Fair trade off IMO. This team has injected a ton of new high end players who need to gel and develop chemistry if this is going to work. 

Defence was the bread and butter of our success last year. We all saw what happened once Tanev went down, this team was not the same. That D depth is so critical and we have it in spades at the moment. Adding Weegar is adding another potential 40pts from our back end, scoring might not be as much of a challenge that many are expecting it to be. I just think BT waits to see what he has on the ice before we start trading any of our top 6 D men, it’s already been 

a dramatic overhaul this past month, why not wait and see how what we have on paper translates to the ice before we further shake up this core. 

Was going to mention how familiar this all feels..not too long ago with Gio, Hamilton, Hamonic, Brodie…even back when we had Phaneuf and J Bow. The Flames have pretty consistently been touted with having a top of not the top D core in the league. Yet it’s rarely translated on the ice. We all know what happened with Hamilton, Hamomic etc.., last years D was arguably our best group in ages statistically. 

This group has all the makings of an elite one that can defend and score. There’s this near impossible balance the Flames haven’t been able to find, where our D is stout but our offence is anemic. Harking back to the days where if Iginla didn’t score the Flames didn’t score but our defence was so good you could still  win with only 2-3 goals. We haven’t been an “offence first” team since the 90s really, we tried it under Bill Peter’s and ended up getting swept by the pre Cup Avalanche. Will Calgary always be a defensive heavy minded team or can BT finally find that perfect balance between defence and offence ?

With regards to Hanifin, 

Here's the thing.  In terms of actual defence, he might be our worst player.  Even if you include the forwards.

But he has a lot of value because of the points he puts up.

IMHO he is tradeable, for the reason above.

However, everyone here who keeps talking about stacking more and more and more forwards....

Guess what.   We still have essentially the same D lineup that was the embarassment of the NHL last playoffs.   Our D made Edmonton look good.   Weegar is not enough to fix all that.  That's actually one of the reasons Hanifiin should be traded if BT wants to take this as seriously as he wants us to believe.

I'm in favour of trading Hanifin, but, only because Hanifin is a defensive trainwreck.

The Flames imho aren't actually a contender until they bolster their D line with at Least one  legit #1D.   At very least a top 4 D to have a chance.   How you get that for Hanifin I don't know, probably 2 trades, but the thought that we should just keep piling on more forwards, I mean come on guys.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

With regards to Hanifin, 

Here's the thing.  In terms of actual defence, he might be our worst player.  Even if you include the forwards.

However, everyone here who keeps talking about stacking more and more and more forwards....

Guess what.   We still have essentially the same D lineup that was the embarassment of the NHL last playoffs.   Our D made Edmonton look good.   Weegar is not enough to fix all that.  That's actually one of the reasons Hanifiin should be traded if BT wants to take this as seriously as he wants us to believe.

I'm in favour of trading Hanifin, but, only because Hanifin is a defensive trainwreck.

The Flames imho aren't actually a contender until they bolster their D line with at Least one  legit #1D.   At very least a top 4 D to have a chance.   How you get that for Hanifin I don't know, probably 2 trades, but the thought that we should just keep piling on more forwards, I mean come on guys.

The D was fine last year, and the first round wasn't poor defense that made it go to 7.  It was lack of finish from the F in round one.  Round two, we went in with hobbled Tanev (didn't play healthy at all), and Mr. Ribs trying to take up some of the minutes.Kylington was also injured, but managed to play most of his minutes.

You do need an extra layer of offense, since we had basically one.  You need the D to be solid.  You need the goalie with enough breaks to play an extended playoffs.  

Hanifin bother me at times because he doesn't recognize things happening in front of him.  Too much gap, low % plays, etc. and that is from a seasoned vet.  If a trade of him brings back a 2 way player that has a ratio of 2-1 in goals for and scored against while on the ice, then we do better.  Contender will be determined by how the team plays as a group.  We don't have more than a couple of franchise level (possibly elite) forwards, but that doesn't mean we can't win the West.  We have D that have been under used for offense.  Ras passed up most of his chances o score.  Weegar play with AE.  Ras is still adjusting from playing under Gio rule.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Was going to mention how familiar this all feels..not too long ago with Gio, Hamilton, Hamonic, Brodie…even back when we had Phaneuf and J Bow. The Flames have pretty consistently been touted with having a top of not the top D core in the league. Yet it’s rarely translated on the ice. We all know what happened with Hamilton, Hamomic etc.., last years D was arguably our best group in ages statistically. 

This group has all the makings of an elite one that can defend and score. There’s this near impossible balance the Flames haven’t been able to find, where our D is stout but our offence is anemic. Harking back to the days where if Iginla didn’t score the Flames didn’t score but our defence was so good you could still  win with only 2-3 goals. We haven’t been an “offence first” team since the 90s really, we tried it under Bill Peter’s and ended up getting swept by the pre Cup Avalanche. Will Calgary always be a defensive heavy minded team or can BT finally find that perfect balance between defence and offence ?

because it’s typically been overrated but this core is different for me. This is the first time they have depth and balance. Not just balance in terms of offense vs D but balance in terms of skills sets. LS vs RS, physical vs more finesse, ability to defend vs puck rush/posses, exit vs entires etc etc. 

Flames have not a d core this talent since the 80s/90s imo. I don’t really care about best in the league stuff, but I’m very excited about this d core. 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

With regards to Hanifin, 

Hanifin definitely makes his gaffes but I honestly felt he cleaned a lot of that up under Sutter. It’s easy to forget Hanifin is one of the smoothest skating D out there , outside of Kylington he’s probably our best skating D. Hanifin isn’t scaring anyone but he’s solid and dependable, sure he has lapses but not enough to consider him a complete liability plus he’s on a great contract…not too many #1 D men under $5M. I’d say Zadarov is more a liability than Hanifin, plus Zado takes some poor ill timed penalties. I’m not against trading Hanifin just think think he gets more of a bad rep then he deserves. It’s easy to forget Hanifin is still only 25!! There aren’t many D men with his level of experience at that price point. Who exactly do we replace him with?

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

because it’s typically been overrated but this core is different for me. This is the first time they have depth and balance. Not just balance in terms of offense vs D but balance in terms of skills sets. LS vs RS, physical vs more finesse, ability to defend vs puck rush/posses, exit vs entires etc etc. 

Flames have not a d core this talent since the 80s/90s imo. I don’t really care about best in the league stuff, but I’m very excited about this d core. 

One hundred. I like our current group of D men, good balance of mobility , size and skill right now plus our D core is crazy young! We’d be the oldest team in the league without our current D core lol…I agree with u in that we can’t just keep adding forwards by subtracting defence men. Sure our D didn’t play well in that 2nd round but to be fair we weren’t 100% healthy. If we can get can get a little more scoring from our backend this season , we shouldn’t be too far removed from last years success. 

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I completely agree about our forwards and L/R, but in terms of our defense, I am pretty much polar opposite.  I recognize and appreciate Ras/Kylington.   I have to assume everyone thinks Tanev/Markstrom won 't age.

Ultimately I appreciate and accept everyone's perspective on our D/G, as I know not everybody had time to watch the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, rickross said:

Hanifin definitely makes his gaffes but I honestly felt he cleaned a lot of that up under Sutter. It’s easy to forget Hanifin is one of the smoothest skating D out there , outside of Kylington he’s probably our best skating D. Hanifin isn’t scaring anyone but he’s solid and dependable, sure he has lapses but not enough to consider him a complete liability plus he’s on a great contract…not too many #1 D men under $5M. I’d say Zadarov is more a liability than Hanifin, plus Zado takes some poor ill timed penalties. I’m not against trading Hanifin just think think he gets more of a bad rep then he deserves. It’s easy to forget Hanifin is still only 25!! There aren’t many D men with his level of experience at that price point. Who exactly do we replace him with?

I do agree Sutter probably helped.  His -11 in the playoffs was just short of him being a point-per-game D (one killer giveaway per game) in those 12 games, and surely he would have been over that without Sutter.   But thinking out loud, what could Sutter do with an Actual defenceman?  ;)

Who could we replace him with?

He could probably be replaced with any defenceman who wasn't -11 in the playoffs, and we'd have more success.

Or if you're going by points, his greatest asset, it's still a pretty long list:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2021-2022?position=d&sort=ppg

So yes his 48 points were impressive, but, say we acquired a defenceman who can actually play defence, and scores 30 points.   Would that be so bad?

IMHO we pay a pretty high premium for those extra 18 points for a guy that lets in a hella lot more, especially when it matters.

Look, I get the desire to fix everything all at once.

But let's not fool ourselves, we have 6 x top 4 D.

Trading Hanifin doesn't get us a top D.

Maybe perhaps possibly Hanifin + Dube + gets us a top D.

Then we are down a F that plays or can play middle 6.

Markstrom and Tanev will age, but not in two years.

If we are to keep Mackey and Valimaki, maybe one of them replaces Tanev in 2-4 years.

Replaces as in allows him to play less minutes.

Marky has at least 3 years at this level left.

Goalies aren't aging out at 36 these days.

If we have Vladar and Wolf coming up, then we have a surplus.

We have the D in spades.

Let's use some of the depth in a trade, if it makes sense.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I do agree Sutter probably helped.  His -11 in the playoffs was just short of him being a point-per-game D (one killer giveaway per game) in those 12 games, and surely he would have been over that without Sutter.   But thinking out loud, what could Sutter do with an Actual defenceman?  ;)

Who could we replace him with?

He could probably be replaced with any defenceman who wasn't -11 in the playoffs, and we'd have more success.

Or if you're going by points, his greatest asset, it's still a pretty long list:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2021-2022?position=d&sort=ppg

So yes his 48 points were impressive, but, say we acquired a defenceman who can actually play defence, and scores 30 points.   Would that be so bad?

IMHO we pay a pretty high premium for those extra 18 points for a guy that lets in a hella lot more, especially when it matters.

All I’m saying is unless it’s to close a blockbuster trade…there’s no immediate need to trade Hanifin. We get booted in the 2nd round and it’s essentially Hanifin fault? Oilers put up no less than 5 goals against us every game of that series, that’s on the team. I just don’t see him as this glaring liability that requires him to be traded immediately. Someone had just posted a GIF of some guy banging his head against a wall in reference to  our off season and the knee jerk reaction fans are having to just trade everyone….even Harvey the Hound. Regardless, the 48 pts he did provide won’t be easy to replace, that’s nothing to scoff at from a young defence man. Compare his value to say Darnell Nurse…prone to gaffes as well, isn’t putting up close to 50pts and is over $9M in cap…is Hanifin really that bad?

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^

Please don't mention trading Ras for Willie Ny.  That is just so wrong.  :) 

Nylander was basically point per game last season and has gotten it done in the playoffs 3 years in a row.  The reason the Leafs haven't traded him by now is because he's been their best playoff guy.

I get he's a soft player and one dimensional but not every player needs to be an agitator and pesk.

Nylander was born in Calgary (although I think his dad has said he hated the Flames because of how we treated him but that was so long ago...)

6 hours ago, rickross said:

If Scheifele becomes available for Hanifin/Andersson then of course you explore that route. I just can’t see Chev not expecting a Kings ransom in return for the Jets franchise player.  If a “wants to leave” Tkachuk nets u Huberdeau, Weegar, top prospect and a 1st….I can only imagine what a “wants to stay” Scheifele would command. Hanifin/Andersson alone wouldn’t get it done. 

I think we regret a Andersson for Willie “Bystander” Nylander trade. Rasmus isn’t too far off Willies offensive production but he’s leagues ahead of him on the defensive side of things. I can’t see Willie Bystander fitting well under the expectations of a Sutter system. You can trust Rasmus to both shutdown and defend as well as chip in offensively and run the PP. Willie is too 1 way of a player, can’t be trusted on defence, can’t be trusted playing against the opposing teams top players. We’d lose that trade easy. 

I see where you’re coming from though…to land a top 6 winger will not come cheap. I’m not saying Lucic/Valimaki are our sole trade chips at the moment , just the more likely to get moved. Flames are being pegged with arguably the best defensive core in the league on paper right now. We lost the top line in the NHL for potentially the best defence. Fair trade off IMO. This team has injected a ton of new high end players who need to gel and develop chemistry if this is going to work. 

Defence was the bread and butter of our success last year. We all saw what happened once Tanev went down, this team was not the same. That D depth is so critical and we have it in spades at the moment. Adding Weegar is adding another potential 40pts from our back end, scoring might not be as much of a challenge that many are expecting it to be. I just think BT waits to see what he has on the ice before we start trading any of our top 6 D men, it’s already been 

a dramatic overhaul this past month, why not wait and see how what we have on paper translates to the ice before we further shake up this core. 

We were trading a 24 year old Tkachuk for a 29 year old Huberdeau.... Not the same as trading a 25 year old Andersson for a 29 year old Scheifele.  Age and contract status matters.  Not saying Andersson alone will be enough and we may have to add but I don't believe we will have to add that much.

WPG is going to lose PLD to MTL next summer.  They will be rebuilding/retooling.  Andersson is a solid piece to rebuild the D around (and since we are not rebuilding and want to win now, then we can trade him since we have two RD just as solid).

But anyways, specific players aside, my point still stands.  Our strength is RD.  Trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness.

6 hours ago, rickross said:

That's the way to build teams though.  Start from the back out.  Get a good G and good Ds... Forwards (especially wingers) are easiest assets to get as final pieces.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

With regards to Hanifin, 

Tkachuk was our best asset to land a #1 D but we used it to get a LW.  Weegar is a nice top pair but Ekblad would've been better.

There isn't a #1 D available out there... No studs.  Some fringe 2/3/4.  And we don't have an elite player to get that #1 D.  No one is trading a bunch of tier 2 guys for a #1 D.  I don't think we'll be getting one.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Our D is very well balanced.  I assume Zadorov-Weegar will be one pairing and that's looking very good because Zadorov can be the stay at home guy and Weegar can move the puck (because Zadorov can be wild moving the puck)... but since he was playing with Gudbranson, then he was forced to be the puck mover.

That said, we're missing that #1 game changing Dman.  That Norris-level blueliner.