2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Nor will any team offer him one. No team is going to give up that type of draft capital for a player who is 1 year away from UFA. 

The difference in Kotkaniemi is he was still an RFA. Canes weren't giving up those assets with the risk of losing him 1 year later. 

Should also be pointed out that Montreal could have kept him if they wanted to. They chose not to accept the offer because they didn't feel he was worth it and they were also able to acquire Dvorak who they liked more (at the time)

You’re right. No team would offer a 1-year offer-sheet blindly. Are you aware NJ’s GM is Chucky’s uncle? And that they’d discuss what a multi-year contract would look like before he officially signs the offer sheet? 😊

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You’re right. No team would offer a 1-year offer-sheet blindly. Are you aware NJ’s GM is Chucky’s uncle? And that they’d discuss what a multi-year contract would look like before he officially signs the offer sheet? 😊

He's actually not, they are cousins. 

Not only is that not allowed what does either side gain from that strategy?

Just a thought. If Gaudreau leaves, I’d rather pursue Malkin than Kadri.

It’s unlikely the Flames get Malkin, but if they throw big money and 4yrs at him, that could be interesting. The issue with Malkin is durability, but when he’s on the ice, he’s still a pt/g player.

Im just really not interested in 56 million for a 32yr old 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He's actually not, they are cousins. 

Not only is that not allowed what does either side gain from that strategy?

NJ has small forwards so could really use the agitator in Tkachuk.  Tkachuk fits their roster way better than Gaudreau.

So NJ gets the player.  Tkachuk gets the money.  How is that not win-win?

And "allegedly" NJ offered 2OA for Tkachuk... So... 

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Just a thought. If Gaudreau leaves, I’d rather pursue Malkin than Kadri.

It’s unlikely the Flames get Malkin, but if they throw big money and 4yrs at him, that could be interesting. The issue with Malkin is durability, but when he’s on the ice, he’s still a pt/g player.

Im just really not interested in 56 million for a 32yr old 

I'm 100% on board with that.  I like Kadri but not at the rumored cap hit.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

NJ has small forwards so could really use the agitator in Tkachuk.  Tkachuk fits their roster way better than Gaudreau.

So NJ gets the player.  Tkachuk gets the money.  How is that not win-win?

And "allegedly" NJ offered 2OA for Tkachuk... So... 

I don't dispute the Devils would have interest in Tkachuk. I don't think they would go the offer sheet route (cost is too high) and what I really don't understand is the idea Tkachuk is going to do a one year offer sheet and then sign long term a year later. That strategy makes no sense. 

Just thinking here, no specific wishes for this to happen.

Thackuk given QO but no guarantees he signs it at all, or if he tries to hold out until around the start of next season.

IF Gaudreau chooses to go elsewhere, how quickly does he sign? 

The Flames need a plan B, Plan C and likely plan D which don’t rely on waiting for Gaudreau to make his decision.

With Forsberg off the table, there isn’t really another single UFA LW who fills the hole left. Tkachuk doesn’t replace what Gaudreau does for the team, nor does Mangiapane.

Players like Kadri will go quickly in UFA. Likely so will Burakovsky, Trochek, Domi, R. Strome, and Neiderreiter. 

Would a line up of

Burakovsky, Lindholm, Trochek

Neiderreiter, Kadri, Toffoli 

Mangiapane, Ruzicka, Coleman

Lucic, Jarnkrok, ??

be something to consider? Could the Flames be quick enough to get it done? Use Tkachuk, Monahan and Dube to upgrade D and gain more picks maybe.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The Ducks didn’t give QO’s to few interesting names, Sonny Milano, Sam Steel, Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson

Rem Pitlick has similar numbers to Milano, but wasn't coming off a deal paying >$1M.

Larsson and Pitlick interest me.

There's going to be clarity tomorrow. One way or another. Once 10pm Calgary time hits, if Johnny is not signed. it's time to look at plan b.

Lewis Gross has a history of dragging negotiations out right to the buzzer. He did this with Johnny's last deal as well as with Nylander. This is a good thing for the Flames.

I don't love many of the other options if the Flames can't sign Gaudreau.

Malkin- Is unlikely, but I think he'd be #1 for me. He's still really good when healthy, 3 or 4yrs at big money. I really want to avoid the guys seeking big term.

Kadri- The term scares me. Who knows if the Flames would even actually be interested, he said no to the organization once.

Giroux- Similar to Malkin, entice him with big money and shorter term. Still a really good player. 

After those three there's a significant dropoff for me. I don't think Andre Burakovsky is a 60pt player on Calgary, but will be paid like one. I'd stay away from Palat, there's a ton of miles on him. Strome(s), Copp, Niedereitter don't really move the needle for me. I don't think Trocheck would sign with a Canadian team.

I'll say this though, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Flames were to throw a crazy offer at Kadri. BT is heading into the last year of his contract. I don't like his chances of getting an extension if he loses Gaudreau and then proceeds to miss the playoffs. The Flames can say all the right things, but if they lose Gaudreau, they will be making a splash out of desperation. 

Kadri said no to the trade because he wanted to stay in Toronto, not because he didn’t want to play for the Flames. He got traded anyways, just to a different team.

Flames do have a chance to get him if that is the route they go.

If we don’t extend Gaudreau which is looking more and more likely, I’d prefer if BT not go out and overpay the Kadris and Malkins out there. Rather shore up the precious cap space and see what comes up in trades or even for next year.  Losing JH will change the dynamic of this team without question but I don’t want us to just settle on what’s available in the market if it’s not going to actually improve the team in the long term

6 minutes ago, rickross said:

If we don’t extend Gaudreau which is looking more and more likely, I’d prefer if BT not go out and overpay the Kadris and Malkins out there. Rather shore up the precious cap space and see what comes up in trades or even for next year.  Losing JH will change the dynamic of this team without question but I don’t want us to just settle on what’s available in the market if it’s not going to actually improve the team in the long term

i get what you’re saying. 

how many teams can afford a Kadri? I guess if they want him he can sign and they make the cap work later.

I’d like to see us Add a bit more speed in the top and bottom six but not just for the sake of it. I found Mason Raymond as a just for the sake of speed kind of player. 

i don’t mind A Coleman light kind of move for the bottom 6. I liked Jarnkrok for some reason, but he frustrated me because he didn’t score. But I think that showed the lack of playmakers throughout the lineup. He did have some chances though.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i get what you’re saying. 

how many teams can afford a Kadri? I guess if they want him he can sign and they make the cap work later.

I’d like to see us Add a bit more speed in the top and bottom six but not just for the sake of it. I found Mason Raymond as a just for the sake of speed kind of player. 

i don’t mind A Coleman light kind of move for the bottom 6. I liked Jarnkrok for some reason, but he frustrated me because he didn’t score. But I think that showed the lack of playmakers throughout the lineup. He did have some chances though.

Yea if we lose Gaudreau we will lose THE franchise playmaker…it would be a major loss as there’s just no replacing him from the FA pool. Do we even get passed Dallas in Rd 1 without Johnny?

The opportunity to add depth via speed and skill will definitely be available but like you said , we don’t have enough of those elite level players who can seperate us from the pack. We’d be good but probably closer to a middling team again. I’m just hoping BT has a kill switch in place and magically trades his rights before Free Agency opens lol…Atleast we’d get a return and the extra cap space!

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

really surpised that Sonny Milano was not qualified.

There are a few interesting names that could fill the bottom of a roster. Mitchell Stephens wasn't qualified by Detroit and he's a fast, hardworking C but missed a chunk of last year to injury.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rickross said:

Same.

But you know we will overpay for a UFA if we have the cap space.

It would seem that there is a big overreaction by some teams about the state of their rosters.  CHI is a dumpster and I have no clue what their plan is other than Bedard tanking.  ANA is walking away from players that were decent.But some of the other moves of not qualifying players is simply a way to get out from an overly high QO, fearing the player might sign it.  They may still sign the player.

The goalie market is really strange.  Competition for Campbell and Kuemper.  Good luck with either of those guys without a stellar D core.