Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Thurs 26 May 2022

rocketdoctor

4 minutes ago, Carty said:

The Coilers will get their azz bounced out of the next round, and it won't even be close...

They will not get the favoritism from the refs, or the league...   They are toast...

I think we actually had a better chance with the AVS.

But losing Tanev probably killed that chance.

The Oilers are one Smith melt down from a sweep.

I'm sure Kadri will drill McD into the net at some point.

13 minutes ago, Carty said:

Seriously?....   WTF dude?...   🙂   There is an orange and blue jersey just waiting for you at the nearest mall...   

Maybe you should go buy it...   😄

hey! I’m just saying they stick to their game more than we do. Does it mean I want them to win? No! They made it hard for the flames and won the series. Albeit a few BS games. We’d be up 3-2 now, sure. But ultimately the flames weren’t good enough. Being good enough at times doesn’t cut it.

In no way do I want them to win a game next round.

why is it so bad to give them props for beating us? They beat us. 

12 minutes ago, Carty said:

The Coilers will get their azz bounced out of the next round, and it won't even be close...

They will not get the favoritism from the refs, or the league...   They are toast...

COL is too good to lose to EDM... not only do the Avs have two lines who are firing on all cylinders, they've also got the best blueline in the NHL even with Girard injured.  No way Kuemper will play worse than Markstrom.  Just need a Jonathan Quick level performance and the Oilers are toast.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

hey! I’m just saying they stick to their game more than we do. Does it mean I want them to win? No! They made it hard for the flames and won the series. Albeit a few BS games. We’d be up 3-2 now, sure. But ultimately the flames weren’t good enough. Being good enough at times doesn’t cut it.

In no way do I want them to win a game next round.

why is it so bad to give them props for beating us? They beat us. 

You can't be serious...    No props are deserved...   That's why...

You play hockey...   How would you feel if your team got burned by a piss-poor  bunch of clowns masquerading as refs...

This wasn't just a couple of mistakes, and then the no-goal call was beyond any reasonable explanation, served as a capper to the  total horseSatoshi Nakamoto gong show put on by the refargis series......

Like I already said, I see an orange and blue jersey in your future.....   So why wait?   Just put it on, you know you want to...

and I have no doubt you will be- (Maybe secretly) cheering for the Coilers next round...

Have fun with that, the Soilers are going to poop the bed, and get totally annihilated next round...

22 minutes ago, Carty said:

You can't be serious...    No props are deserved...   That's why...

You play hockey...   How would you feel if your team got burned by a piss-poor  bunch of clowns masquerading as refs...

This wasn't just a couple of mistakes, and the no-goal call was beyond any reasonable explanation...

that is true! 

i don’t think the flames got a fair shake in the series. 

im not saying it’s not bS. I’m just saying the Flames also didn’t do enough to win. They never stayed with it

youre in denial if you think the flames played good enough to win. They got the shaft but they also gave the game back to them. The goal should have counted, but I also think the flames shouldn’t have let them back in and give them a lead and then had to tie it up. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

that is true! 

i don’t think the flames got a fair shake in the series. 

im not saying it’s not bS. I’m just saying the Flames also didn’t do enough to win. They never stayed with it

youre in denial if you think the flames played good enough to win. They got the shaft but they also gave the game back to them. The goal should have counted, but I also think the flames shouldn’t have let them back in and give them a lead and then had to tie it up. 

I think what he is saying is that this was just the ending thud in a series of kicks to the groin.

How many games do the Oilers win in this series without one sided officiating.

The talk of the SN crew was McD at a different level.

I must have missed that.

He scored more goals and assists than any Flames player.

But a fair bit of that was from games turned into a circus.

Not always a PP that turns a game.

You call a dive in what should result in a 2 man advantage, then call another guy to negate the PP.

That turns into a PP after the Flames original man advantage expires.

You call a 4 minute PP when the guy in on his knees.  Whatever, maybe justified.

Wasn't bleeding when he was on the ice.

Call a bunch of penaties for one team through the 1st two periods, then even it up after it's to late.

It's not a clean team that was getting the benefit.

You saw as many picks as I did.

You saw spears and hacks.

The least penalized game of the series and it was as dirty as the PP fest games.

The one time they give an advantage, it's to negate a potential GWG.

To be clear, I am not picking on you.  I don't buy into the best team won.

The team with the best player won with other things creating the wins.

EDM got jobbed by the refs against ANA.

A team that Bieksa played for.

Him suggesting anything about the goal being kicked in is just dumb.

He hasn't played under the new rules, neither has Jen.

The league seems to have decided a certain way to call this one goal that is different.

I'm still raw, so it might not be coming out right.

Blockchain me did we get shafted on that Coleman call or what.

That is a frelling ridiculous call.  NHL been allowing that all season long.  How can you kick it in if your skate never leaves the ice?

I am so frelling triggered right now.

Backlund you were a stud all series

1st line bit of a no show.

Overall a season to be proud to wear the red.

We were never tipped to be even in the playoffs.

Sutter - mantra of "It's a process" will help in the long term.    3 games where it was tied mid 3rd and we did not get the next goal.   Smaller margins than it looks guys, small margins.

Come back stronger next year.

Go Flames Go!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carty said:

Oh they probably will get some favor their way, with Matthews out the league has to have a poster boy in for as long as possible.  This time it just wont be enough.

I don't ever truly buy the league conspiracy talk.. but we definitely did not get the calls the Oilers did .

I will say the experience argument is a good one .. when we don't get the calls, then get penalized when we do play our game , we get panicked and try and play the game the Oilers are dictating. 

We blew more leads in this series than we did all year 

I'm not hanging this on any player .. Markstrom played well just didn't play great, and he was left to fend off chances he rarely had to face all year 

We got away from our trademark physical game , likely due to getting called for every little thing 

I'll save my individual breakdowns for the post season threads once the emotion subsides and the silly suggestions slow down , but in general we need to address how to defend fast teams .. it can't be on your goalie to steal it when the refs are calling everything you do 

• Like 1

At the end of the day Markstrom didn't make enough saves, and Calgary's top players just weren't difference makers in this series.

It's really frustrating because Edmonton was extremely beatable in this series, their defense and goaltending was pretty bad, or goaltending just managed to be worse somehow.

*Tinfoil Hat time*

Now the Coleman was just an absolute terrible call, I think we can all agree on that. 

The NHL is a business and it just makes more business sense to have one of the NHL's most marketable stars go further in the playoffs as they will get more ad revenue.

I think the NHL knew that was a good goal but wanted the Oilers to move on. It seemed like a lot of border line calls went the Oilers way this series.

Now I am not saying that that's why Edmonton won the series, but it certainly helped.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

At the end of the day Markstrom didn't make enough saves, and Calgary's top players just weren't difference makers in this series.

It's really frustrating because Edmonton was extremely beatable in this series, their defense and goaltending was pretty bad, or goaltending just managed to be worse somehow.

*Tinfoil Hat time*

Now the Coleman was just an absolute terrible call, I think we can all agree on that. 

The NHL is a business and it just makes more business sense to have one of the NHL's most marketable stars go further in the playoffs as they will get more ad revenue.

I think the NHL knew that was a good goal but wanted the Oilers to move on. It seemed like a lot of border line calls went the Oilers way this series.

Now I am not saying that that's why Edmonton won the series, but it certainly helped.

I agree he could have made more saves, but this is in no way on him IMO. he was forced to face more High danger shots than he ever did during the season .. it starts with the chances we allowed . Too many scrambles and scrums, too many dangerous players left wide open for picking their spots .. it may not show but he made a lot of really big saves in this series 

But just like everybody else he needs to learn too.. this was his first high pressure playoffs, prev just one round in a bubble 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

*Tinfoil Hat time*

id go so far as to say the league wanted a wide open series for US ratings.. so we got forced away from our game..  every time we breathed on a player it was an interference call 

wont say the refs were against us , but they did dictate how the series was played.. which was right into the Oilers wheelhouse 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think a lot of the favorable calls for EDM resulted from the media blitz on McDavid not getting calls last playoffs and not drawing the most penalties of any player, because he must have been fouled every shift.  We saw a lot of marginal calls get the nod, because it was him.  

It's tough to watch the NHL these days with the refs picking one team and deciding things that way.  If this call of no goal was the league, then it's a total reversal of the way they have called it since the rule was "redefined".  I'm not even sure what it means anymore.  You can't really kick it with your skate on the ice.  You are allow to direct it with your skate.  Back to the drawing board NHL; you blew it.  It won't happen again this year because we are down to the chosen 4.  Well soon enough.  Wonder if NY gets a favorable call to change the series.   

Bettman kind of tipped his hand by saying the NHL will not host anything important in Calgary until they get a new barn.  You could suggest they didn't want the SCF played in Calgary.    

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree he could have made more saves, but this is in no way on him IMO. he was forced to face more High danger shots than he ever did during the season .. it starts with the chances we allowed . Too many scrambles and scrums, too many dangerous players left wide open for picking their spots .. it may not show but he made a lot of really big saves in this series 

But just like everybody else he needs to learn too.. this was his first high pressure playoffs, prev just one round in a bubble 

It wasn't all on him, but if we even got average goaltending we win this series pretty easily. When you have an .852 save% and a 5.12 GAA you didn't play anywhere near good enough to win. IMO that's the difference in the series Markstrom was absolutely terrible and Smith gave the Oilers average goaltending and they won. 

• Like 1

I don't like the Coleman call either and don't get how you overturn it. Thought it was terrible. 

But I don't think officiating cost them the series nor do I think it was a major factor. I think the Flames just simply got outplayed but a faster, hungrier and smarter Oiler team, they could never settle into a game plan and then if they did Markstrom just wasn't good enough. The Flames chased a lot in this series and if you chase you are going to take more penalties. Certainly would not say it was a well officiated series, it wasn't, but for me it wasn't a storyline. 

The Flames could just never get comfortable in a game or their game plan in this series and I think that is due in large part to how the Oilers played. They were very prepared, executed it really well and make life hard on the Flames who could just not seem to adjust or get comfortable with how the Oilers were playing. 

Markstrom is a big storyline as he was no where near good enough. You just are not going to win a series when your goalie is sub 900. Sure the Flames made it harder on him with some bad turnovers and odd man rushes but in the playoffs that is going to happen and you need your goalie to be there. Not only did he let in several bad goals in this series, he wasn't making those game saving stops that you need in the playoffs. He is not the only reason they lost but he is a major one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

how old is… are other players who perform in the playoffs?

we act like you need experience but did Oettinger? was it not his first go? 

Doesn't matter everyone is different.  How long did it take the Tampa core, Washington, St. Louis, Detroit twice had troubles getting through first with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, then with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  The greatest offense in the cap era scored 3 goals in a four game sweep, yet this fanbase would accept any of the top players on that team in a heartbeat, because we have the set mindset that we know what we have with our guys and expect better out of others.

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't like the Coleman call either and don't get how you overturn it. Thought it was terrible. 

But I don't think officiating cost them the series nor do I think it was a major factor. I think the Flames just simply got outplayed but a faster, hungrier and smarter Oiler team, they could never settle into a game plan and then if they did Markstrom just wasn't good enough. The Flames chased a lot in this series and if you chase you are going to take more penalties. Certainly would not say it was a well officiated series, it wasn't, but for me it wasn't a storyline. 

The Flames could just never get comfortable in a game or their game plan in this series and I think that is due in large part to how the Oilers played. They were very prepared, executed it really well and make life hard on the Flames who could just not seem to adjust or get comfortable with how the Oilers were playing. 

Markstrom is a big storyline as he was no where near good enough. You just are not going to win a series when your goalie is sub 900. Sure the Flames made it harder on him with some bad turnovers and odd man rushes but in the playoffs that is going to happen and you need your goalie to be there. Not only did he let in several bad goals in this series, he wasn't making those game saving stops that you need in the playoffs. He is not the only reason they lost but he is a major one. 

I agree that the officiating wasn't the reason the Flames lost nor was it a major factor, but it was absolutely terrible, but it has been in the other series as well.

I think Calgary's lack of high end speed stood out in this series. We just couldn't keep up with Edmonton's speed. They have guys on every line that can flat out fly and we just don't. Normally we can overcome that with playing fast, but when your opponent combines speed with playing fast it makes it hard to compete.

We really needed Markstrom to just be even average to have a chance, because it's not like Smith was great in this series either he was just slightly better than Markstrom.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I agree that the officiating wasn't the reason the Flames lost nor was it a major factor, but it was absolutely terrible, but it has been in the other series as well.

I think Calgary's lack of high end speed stood out in this series. We just couldn't keep up with Edmonton's speed. They have guys on every line that can flat out fly and we just don't. Normally we can overcome that with playing fast, but when your opponent combines speed with playing fast it makes it hard to compete.

We really needed Markstrom to just be even average to have a chance, because it's not like Smith was great in this series either he was just slightly better than Markstrom.

I agree if Markstrom was average they are getting ready for game 6. If he was Vezina caliber they are probably getting ready for game 6 with a chance to win the series. 

For me speed wasn't a defining aspect of the series. It was in game 3 but outside of that I thought the Flames had no problem with speed. They struggled with defending off the rush but I think that is a skill thing not a speed thing. 

The Oilers were actually the ones who I thought slowed down this series. They put bodies in the neutral zone and waited for the Flames to make mistakes with the puck and the Flames did that just way too often in the series. Puck management was IMO the biggest problem that the Flames had in the series. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree on Markstrom, Disagree with the top line to a degree, thought Matthew was awful, and will disagree that the poor reffing was not a factor. 

The simple truth of it for me was that when you score 2 or more goals in a 2nd round of a the playoffs it should be at worst enough to get you to  overtime, 3 or more it easly should result in a win. We scored enough goals to win this series but didn't prevent. Markstrom was dog Satoshi Nakamoto this seires but so was the defensive play. To many odd man rushes and piss poor coverage. Were the coilers the better team not by a long shot, they just out scored their mistakes. For me the largest disappointments were our dman and the inabilty to win a battle. When you lose a battle to Yak me off in the corner, or can't remove their forwards off the puck in the d zone, you shouldn't be in the NHL. Our strength was to slow the game down and control the play and let our larger dman win puck battles and get a fore check established with forwards, nothing. Our top line was not at their best but definelty not the issue. We scored enough to win 4 out of the first 5 games thats a fact, however when you allow as many as you did tells me we have coverage and player issues. When a moslty rookie team held the Coilers off the sheet or only to 2 goals, this should have been an easy assigment for this club. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think what he is saying is that this was just the ending thud in a series of kicks to the groin.

How many games do the Oilers win in this series without one sided officiating.

The talk of the SN crew was McD at a different level.

I must have missed that.

He scored more goals and assists than any Flames player.

But a fair bit of that was from games turned into a circus.

Not always a PP that turns a game.

You call a dive in what should result in a 2 man advantage, then call another guy to negate the PP.

That turns into a PP after the Flames original man advantage expires.

You call a 4 minute PP when the guy in on his knees.  Whatever, maybe justified.

Wasn't bleeding when he was on the ice.

Call a bunch of penaties for one team through the 1st two periods, then even it up after it's to late.

It's not a clean team that was getting the benefit.

You saw as many picks as I did.

You saw spears and hacks.

The least penalized game of the series and it was as dirty as the PP fest games.

The one time they give an advantage, it's to negate a potential GWG.

To be clear, I am not picking on you.  I don't buy into the best team won.

The team with the best player won with other things creating the wins.

EDM got jobbed by the refs against ANA.

A team that Bieksa played for.

Him suggesting anything about the goal being kicked in is just dumb.

He hasn't played under the new rules, neither has Jen.

The league seems to have decided a certain way to call this one goal that is different.

I'm still raw, so it might not be coming out right.

i fully agree with all of this and I agree with Carty! 

all

i meant was our team still didn’t play to their identity. Maybe it’s the refs that got them away from it. 

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

i am angry with the officiating! 

i agree with a lot of this too. It’s all of it for me. And then I look at the games where they did play to their identity, they only sustained their identity for a period. They got up yesterday, 2-0. Worst lead in hockey! But In an elimination game, somehow they stopped skating and stopped playing in small pods for easy short passes. They stopped playing as a unit. Missed passes to nobody last night gave the oilers the puck when the oilers didn’t even skate yet. It was all of those miss plays exiting the zone and then the oilers transitioning that allowed the oilers to get their feet moving. 

before that, the Flames were checking tight and not giving the oilers anything, but for some reason guys broke away from the structure that was working. 

maybe that was the oilers adjusting, but i think it was more spreading out and cheating the system. 

49 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Doesn't matter everyone is different.  How long did it take the Tampa core, Washington, St. Louis, Detroit twice had troubles getting through first with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, then with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  The greatest offense in the cap era scored 3 goals in a four game sweep, yet this fanbase would accept any of the top players on that team in a heartbeat, because we have the set mindset that we know what we have with our guys and expect better out of others.

could it be that it’s just hard to win in the league and there are a lot of good players that have to lose? It’s the fight I’m more interested in. If they’re clawing then they’re gamers. I didn’t see that from our best players enough. They were quiet for too many games. 

to say they’re young and have no experience is wrong. They played Vancouver. They played Colorado, they played Dallas. For some of the core that is 5 playoff series.

You said it yourself, every player is different. I think some have it and some don’t. Now, when we look at those greats that took awhile to win, were they no-shows until then? Did they actually underperform?