Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Thurs 26 May 2022

rocketdoctor

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Did the Oilers play better than the Flames in this series?  They took advantage of the things they were handed and we didn't.  Game 1 was just the start of the nonsense.  

Yep . I said it before , that's where we lost the series ..

We close out that game as a blowout and don't let them back in.. totally messes with Edmonton's heads .add to that the 3-0 in game 2, it would be series over ..

As it was , we showed them they can come back and most damaging showed us they can come back.. every time they got a goal we panicked after that.. we abandoned our game because mentally , subconsciously, we lost trust in the system 

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yep . I said it before , that's where we lost the series ..

We close out that game as a blowout and don't let them back in.. totally messes with Edmonton's heads .add to that the 3-0 in game 2, it would be series over ..

As it was , we showed them they can come back and most damaging showed us they can come back.. every time they got a goal we panicked after that.. we abandoned our game because mentally , subconsciously, we lost trust in the system 

The score occurred because we had to play that way to win.  Two EV goals against with Lucic on the ice.  Two EV with Zaddy on the ice.  One of them was both players.  But there was some inconsistent stuff in the 1st period.  Kane X-checks Ritchie and it turns into a scoring chance.  Couple of minutes later Backlund pushes McD with his gloves and it's called a cross check.  Lucic called as the only bad person after the clean McD hit.  Freebie. 

It was the blueprint for the series.  It just got unwatchable after game 1.  While Marky needed to dial it in, the 3 goals by Hyman, Hyman and Draisaitl (sounds like a law firm) was blown coverage resulting in Marky playing too deep.  Don't know what he was doing, but in close shots like that look worse because of the outcome.   

Personally I think there is a ton of reaching going on here. The entire series is going to change based on 1 game and the first game on top of that?? I have a hard time buying that It is just 1 game in a 7 game series. 

I just don't think anyone is willing to give the oilers credit but you should, they adjusted.  They saw what didn't work in game 1, changed their game plan and played much better from there on in. I don't think that changes whatsoever if they don't come back in game 1. 

I also don't think the story here is they abandoned their structure. The Flames lost the series due to puck management and sub par goaltending. The puck management a result of them not being able to find a comfortable way to beat how Edm was playing them. 

But it's time to give the Oilers more credit. I actually do think they outplayed the Flames the majority of this series. It was a closer series than 5 games for sure but I think after game 1, Edm was the better team. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 7:52 AM, cross16 said:

Personally I think there is a ton of reaching going on here. The entire series is going to change based on 1 game and the first game on top of that?? I have a hard time buying that It is just 1 game in a 7 game series. 

I just don't think anyone is willing to give the oilers credit but you should, they adjusted.  They saw what didn't work in game 1, changed their game plan and played much better from there on in. I don't think that changes whatsoever if they don't come back in game 1. 

I also don't think the story here is they abandoned their structure. The Flames lost the series due to puck management and sub par goaltending. The puck management a result of them not being able to find a comfortable way to beat how Edm was playing them. 

But it's time to give the Oilers more credit. I actually do think they outplayed the Flames the majority of this series. It was a closer series than 5 games for sure but I think after game 1, Edm was the better team. 

I was called an Oilers fan for giving them credit. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:52 AM, cross16 said:

Either the Flames were playing to structure and then Edmonton adjusted in some of the games or the Flames played to their structure and then stopped. 

i feel there were games the Flames could have dominated but for whatever reason stopped doing what was successful. They were playing a team game then stopped and opened up bigger gaps and trying to make harder passes. I especially saw that in Game 5. But there were times that that was the case in other games. So maybe it is a bit of both? Edmonton changing to inhibit the Flames structure and no response? Basically at a lot of times I felt like we saw two different Flames teams in most of the games against Edmonton. Like, effort was there, then a tie so they stop skating? 
I am with you though, the Flames didn’t do themselves any favours. And Edmonton deserves credit. 

sure they didn’t play full games either, but it is the team that capitalizes on the chances they get that win. We didn’t get enough Grade A chances and when we did we put it over the net or in the logo or did one too many things with the puck. 

things that frustrated me were how they sometimes accepted passes and then had to think before shooting instead of quick receive and release shots, or the huge wind ups allowing D and the goalie time to adjust.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Emotions run high. Great big whatever.

We lost. Move on.

It wasn't me, but don't take it personally.

I have already started signing players to extensions, talked to the pending UFA's, and reached out to gauge interest in some trades.  Nothing left in this season.  Cheer on the Heat.  Bring in some of that winning attitude to the Flames next season.