2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting practice lines today:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Ritchie-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Mangiapane

I don't know if this is Sutter games for the media or a real choice.

Mangiapane can create anywhere, but Dube is better on RW with Lucic.

Or even Dube on LW with Toffee.

But, what do I know. 

I love it.  We are going to win today if these are our lines.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ritchie-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Mangiapane

But, what do I know. 

I’m happy that he is giving some lines different looks, I think it gives players different kinds of jump and motivation when lines are switched up on occasion. 
That being said I don’t love Ritchie with Backs and Toff. 
For me, similar what LA did to Edmonton last night was they got guys going to the net, stopping at the top of the blue paint. Guys like Grundstrom, Moore, Anderson, Lemieux. They are not their high skilled guys, and they didn’t all contribute on the score sheet. But they went hard to the net and created chaos and opportunity, and made Smiths night tough. We need our guys to do that.

So far I’ve really only seen Dube, Coles, Looch and Lewis going hard to the net. We need Mang driving the Net (which is why he shouldn’t be with Backs and Toff, that’s another story). Tkachuk needs to let the emotion go, and get to the net, take a punch then go to work on the power play. 
I will also keep going back to the well of getting Mang back on the top PP unit, shots from the outside from Toff are not going to cut it on Oettinger. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ritchie-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Mangiapane

But, what do I know. 

And a last minute swap of Ritchie for Stone. 7D just like we talked about.. love it 😎

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

And a last minute swap of Ritchie for Stone. 7D just like we talked about.. love it 😎

I think we should have guess that.

Ritchie floating the way an extra forward does.

Kinda like playing the scratch guy to give on player a rest.

It was pretty obvious that Mange wasn't getting demoted.

Snakebit yes, but key PK guy and one that finds space.

Mange was occupying the emprty spot on the 4th.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think we should have guess that.

Ritchie floating the way an extra forward does.

Kinda like playing the scratch guy to give on player a rest.

It was pretty obvious that Mange wasn't getting demoted.

Snakebit yes, but key PK guy and one that finds space.

Mange was occupying the emprty spot on the 4th.

We have a bunch of looks. It's impressive. Lindholm finished a PK, JG-Jarnkrok-Dube.

Float Tkachuk.

Stone has a home, need that shot. If he never scores, he doesn't miss the net so always a big distraction. Or injured blockers.

I think we don't get screens on his shots because it's too dangerous, personally. Let it hit them.

We brought a cannon. We can rest it too.lol

As for reffing, it's pretty evident that the MacTool whine that pervaded the slow times 2 months ago about playoff reffing will pay off for him....I'm not in agreement.

I'd like to see more of Mange - Backlund - Coleman please. 

Toff looked more dangerous on a line with Lewis and Looch than he ever has with Backlund. Continue to play him there or with Jarnkrok. 

Sutter.

What more can be said about the man? He knows how to coach, he's smart, he gets the most out of his players, he sends messages in everything he says, he reads the game and makes adjustments, he plays mind games, and now we can add this one to the resume: He calls the referee in charge for the series to address the never-before-seen officiating 3 games into the series. The man reads and responds to EVERY aspect of the game!

nhl GIF by SB Nation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Toff looked more dangerous on a line with Lewis and Looch than he ever has with Backlund. Continue to play him there or with Jarnkrok. 

Sutter.

What more can be said about the man? He knows how to coach, he's smart, he gets the most out of his players, he sends messages in everything he says, he reads the game and makes adjustments, he plays mind games, and now we can add this one to the resume: He calls the referee in charge for the series to address the never-before-seen officiating 3 games into the series. The man reads and responds to EVERY aspect of the game!

nhl GIF by SB Nation

I don't want to see Mange-Toffoli together again.  Say all you want about Toffoli on the 4th line but he was more effective there than with Mange in the 2nd line.  Toffoli on that line justifies more minutes for that line in general.  Lucic gets his space and he has been good gaining the zone.  Both Lucic and Lewis are smart along the boards and Toffoli as a finisher on that line makes them more dangerous than with Ritchie.  All stuff we have said of course.

And Mange-Backlund-Coleman has worked all season.  Happy to go back to that.

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Sutter.

It's almost like he had that line in his pocket, waiting to use it.  I've been on Backlund's case for the previous three games, but it's not just him.  Mange was passing off because Toffoli is a big game shooter.  Now it's the other way, he gets the passes.  I think you can use Toffoli on every other line as the game warrants.  Backlund raised his level.  I saw a bit of him being hesitant, but a little less on the forecheck and more on the D-zone effort is just fine with me.

Did Sutter really call on the head ref?  That is so Sutter.  

I think Mangiapane is in Sutter’s dog house. 

Skates on the 4th line at morning skate Monday. 
Takes an offensive zone penalty against an exhausted Stars group.

Plays the fewest minutes of any Flames forward in game 4.

Sutter mentions post game that some of his young players saw reduced minutes in game 4

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We have a bunch of looks. It's impressive. Lindholm finished a PK, JG-Jarnkrok-Dube.

Float Tkachuk.

Stone has a home, need that shot. If he never scores, he doesn't miss the net so always a big distraction. Or injured blockers.

I think we don't get screens on his shots because it's too dangerous, personally. Let it hit them.

We brought a cannon. We can rest it too.lol

As for reffing, it's pretty evident that the MacTool whine that pervaded the slow times 2 months ago about playoff reffing will pay off for him....I'm not in agreement.

The McBaby whine irked me.  It resonated with the analysts, because how can the "best player on the planet" not draw penalties?  He plays the same cheating style as Draisaddle and is also sometimes getting called on it.  First round has been a circus of calls/non-calls.  I suppose I am grateful the refs haven't decided that they just call one of the crowd out and pick one each side.  But they tend to ignore the instigator.

If it's a choice of Stone vs Ritchie, go with the extra D.  Stone is solid enough to not make you regret it.  He plays about 10 minutes and it leaves a vacant spot to rotate players through.  I wouldn't say take Kylington out, since he's making about as many mistakes as the rest of the D.  He's a safe 13 minute anyway, and he fits with Tanev.  

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Mangiapane is in Sutter’s dog house. 

Skates on the 4th line at morning skate Monday. 
Takes an offensive zone penalty against an exhausted Stars group.

Plays the fewest minutes of any Flames forward in game 4.

Sutter mentions post game that some of his young players saw reduced minutes in game 4

The skating on the 4th line had nothing to do with sending a message.  They were rotating players through that spot.  But, the penalty seemed to signal the end of his shifts.  Cut back in the 2nd due to the penalty, and 2 shifts in the early part of the 3rd.  The weak call ended what was a sequence of Dallas players getting hung out for 2-3 minutes and unable to change because of the icing.  Mange's penalty allowed the change and the TV time out.  It was the type of penalty Bennett used to get called on, but on the scale of this series, it was 1/10 th of the impact compared to others. 

There was probably something in his overall game Sutter wasn't liking.  Effort or assignment.  He got but a single shot, which is unusual for the player.  Sutter benching him is a way of getting him hungry.  It's dog eat dog to get those minutes.  He's like Toffoli, should be scoring once every 3 or 4 games.  Neither is, but Toffee is getting it on net.  

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The McBaby whine irked me.  It resonated with the analysts, because how can the "best player on the planet" not draw penalties?  He plays the same cheating style as Draisaddle and is also sometimes getting called on it.  First round has been a circus of calls/non-calls.  I suppose I am grateful the refs haven't decided that they just call one of the crowd out and pick one each side.  But they tend to ignore the instigator.

If it's a choice of Stone vs Ritchie, go with the extra D.  Stone is solid enough to not make you regret it.  He plays about 10 minutes and it leaves a vacant spot to rotate players through.  I wouldn't say take Kylington out, since he's making about as many mistakes as the rest of the D.  He's a safe 13 minute anyway, and he fits with Tanev.  

Precisely. "What are you guys asking for again, playoffs filled with penalties"?

It's not a good look imho. Turns into a not-very-good product.

Friedman was all for it, now he's done a 180.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Precisely. "What are you guys asking for again, playoffs filled with penalties"?

It's not a good look imho. Turns into a not-very-good product.

Friedman was all for it, now he's done a 180.

If I was a conspiracy person, I would think that Bettman wants McD to get a bunch of PP goals and play in the second round.  It's helped the Oilers in some games, but cost them in others.  LA isn't a threat to score much on the PP, but it takes time off McD's TOI. 

What I really don't like is the penalties all called in first two period to decide the game early.  Then you can basically mug someone in the 3rd.  You probably see the losing team get a PP if it's within a goal or two.   

There are a couple of series with way more penalties call.  TOR for one.  NYR has the least of any series.  But we have the most 4v4 situations of any teams.  That doesn't even make sense.  You should typically get 5 a side, not 4v4.  Weird.  Sutter claims to hate it, but in this series it probably helps open the ice.  We just are not scoring on it.

5 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Sutter.

nhl GIF by SB Nation

i can see that!

i feel that all three Mange, Backlund and Toffoli like to hold onto the puck just a little too long for each other. It is ok when it’s just one or two of them, but I think Mangiapane gets cancelled out in that scenario, or all three seem to cancel each other out. 

• Like 1

You all know I love Kyller and I've been vouching for him to be a regular, so I'm not poo-pooing on him - I'm just pointing out that yes his skating speed is incredible, but his balance can be shaky a few times per game: this is exactly what he needs to further his development - playoff hockey.

Slipping Falling Down GIF

And having Stone in the lineup as a 7th D really helps with maintaining energy and our aggressive style of play in our D-zone. Not to mention, breaking legs with bombs from the point! 8 shots in 8 minutes! Wowza! I thought he'd make a difference! 

OIP.Yzt1owA5PcEtGq3Ctpwf_AAAAA?w=131&h=1 

Go Flames Go!    

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I think this was what I thought was a hit from behind on Lewis during the game where he went face-first into the boards. But I'm not sure 

Benn slew-footed Lewis and got a 2-minute tripping penalty.  The fine is probably a make-up fine for the Tanev slew-foot non-call if anything.  Both were dirty.

57 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You all know I love Kyller and I've been vouching for him to be a regular, so I'm not poo-pooing on him - I'm just pointing out that yes his skating speed is incredible, but his balance can be shaky a few times per game: this is exactly what he needs to further his development - playoff hockey.

He's rangey.  Needs to tighten up a few loose screws.  His edges need work, which will happen in the summer.  He's a fluid skater when he get a good first stride.  Count this as the first time where he's had to play top 4, 200 foot, and ddfend some of the best of the NHL.  He's not physical because of his rangeness.  But he has a good awareness and is constantly reading the play.  His attack speed is very good.  If he could cut in at the last second, he would be a bigger threat.  Kinda does the Hanifin skate around the net thing.  

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Except it almost backfired with Gaudreau getting hurt early in the 1st.  So then you are down to 10-forwards and play 3-lines all game.

Agreed you can't run it too often.  It was designed to give the D a break after the game 1 overuse.  If and when we get to the next round, we won't need to do it.  Then again, we would be more likely to be called for 5 an a game by Zaddy or Guddy than the other team we face.

• Gaudreau – Lindholm – Tkachuk (7:21 / 73.2 xGF%)
  • Lucic – Lewis – Jarnkrok (3:42 / 35.9 xGF%)
  • Mangiapane – Backlund – Coleman (3:15 / 75.0 xGF%)
  • Lucic – Lewis – Toffoli (2:43 / 63.3 xGF%)
  • Lucic – Jarnkrok – Toffoli (1:43 / 46.6 xGF%)
  • Dube – Backlund – Coleman (1:31 / 100 xGF%)
  • Dube – Jarnkrok – Toffoli (1:16 / 60.3 xGF%)
  • Lucic – Backlund – Toffoli (1:00 / n/a xGF%)

Thanks for posting those TD. Backs and Coleman are clearly an elite pairing. I wonder if the reason Sutter refuses to play them together is because he wants to spread out their responsible defensive play across 2 lines., instead of doubling up on the one line. Thing is, Jarnkrok is pretty defensively sound himself as is Toffoli… that line of Looch - Lewis - Toff though… I think Toff and Looch got an extra boost playing on the same line together given their tight friendship. I wouldn’t mind seeing that continue as well. I was streaming the flames podcast today and heard the host (Pinder?) say exactly what we’ve all been saying - that playing a defensive C in Backlund with 2 trigger men in Mange and Toff doesn’t work. Besides the obvious there, it does benefit us to move one of those “trigger men” (Toff) to another line as a scoring threat. 

• Like 1