2022 playoff clinch tracker

bosn111

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

How are Dallas or Nashville as matchups? I think we tend to have troubles with Dallas. Benn seems to kill us every time. Nashville could be tough due to goaltending and D.

Vegas probably needs to win out to make it. 

Nashville is sucking recently,  Saros is a great goalie, but you would never know it.  We played once and lost in OT.  Meaningless.  We played Dallas twice and lost G1 in OT.  Meaningless.  We came back with the miracle run in regulation.  

I think we match up pretty well against either.  Regaular season records against a team don't mean much.

Vegas has a narrow lane in.  As does LA, but a little closer there.  VAN has a limited chance.  EDM is more likely.

4 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Magic number is now 2 to clinch the division.

Maybe I'm missing something.

We have 103, and one win takes us to 105 and 1 OTL takes us to 106.

EDM can only get 106 max.

We would beat them in the first tie breaker with 43 RW vs 41.

That should mean a magic number of 1.5.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

You are correct TD. I missed that when I posted last night. I repeated what the commentators said. Thank you for catching this.

Magic number is 1.5

I was thinking about it, then after I posted I saw Steinberg tweeted it.  I can't explain the drop from 3.0 in one game, but really it doesn't matter.  Just found it odd.

It drops extra because the Flames won in regulation. If the Flames had won in overtime, it would have still been 2 because the regulation wins tie breaker would have been tied and need to move to the next tie breaker which is total wins.

With the regulation win, a tie in points will now go to the Flames so 1.5.

It is odd that it works in that way, but yeah. It is why things were so confusing earlier in this thread.

18 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

It drops extra because the Flames won in regulation. If the Flames had won in overtime, it would have still been 2 because the regulation wins tie breaker would have been tied and need to move to the next tie breaker which is total wins.

With the regulation win, a tie in points will now go to the Flames so 1.5.

It is odd that it works in that way, but yeah. It is why things were so confusing earlier in this thread.

Just 3 single point games is all we need.  That's crazy.

Or a regulation loss and OTL by EDM.

I prefer we get two wins, but would accept EDM losing to Dallas and we clinch that much sooner.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The odds seem to have gone insane.  I don't buy into it until the playoffs results start flowing in.....

The struggle in the first round will be to not look ahead to our second round opponent thinking it's an easy path to the Conference Finals.  Reality is, Flames have the easiest path there and the league knows it.

And of course, we are a good team that's built for the playoffs.   Great goaltending.  Big tough D.  Sandpaper and grind.  Cup/playoff experience.  If defense wins championships then I think no team wants to play us in the playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The struggle in the first round will be to not look ahead to our second round opponent thinking it's an easy path to the Conference Finals.  Reality is, Flames have the easiest path there and the league knows it.

And of course, we are a good team that's built for the playoffs.   Great goaltending.  Big tough D.  Sandpaper and grind.  Cup/playoff experience.  If defense wins championships then I think no team wants to play us in the playoffs.  

Yeah it's how the stars align under this format.  Under the 1-8 format the playoffs as of today would be Col-LA, CGY-Dal, STL-Nas, and Min-Edm.  So if the division winners win, Colorado gets the 3vs4 winner and Calgary gets the 5vs8.  I want to get excited about the odds, history with this team just doesn't allow me too.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

To be clear, I don't care about the 2nd round until there is one.  The only thing I can say is that if the final two games come down to setting up a team to get in vs eliminating them, then you have the right (coach does) to sit everyone possible.  If that team would be a favorable matchup to your 2nd round possible opponents.  Weigh the value of ignoring the other races and concentrate on your team vs subtle gamesmanship to your other opponents.  All I can say is we ended up playing some teams over the course of the years that were really bad matchups for us.  CHI, ANA....

The thing is that we can't control anything unless the last game vs us means anything.  If VAN or VGK lose enough games, they are done. 

BTW, the pic came from a betting site, so it's just odds based.  I don't buy into it at all.  There is science behind it, but also it's about the house winning money.      

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Who would have thought that Vegas and VAN would be tied with equal games remaining.

VAN has a max of 97 points.

VGK has that same max, but VGK wins the tie breaker.

Tonight's games have huge implications as noted by BOSN.

I am hoping for DAL to win-lose the next 2.

who did VGK give up for Eichel? It’s like they sold their souls this year and it backfired. 

would their other players they would have had had done enough to get them over, or was it really the injuries that derailed them this year?

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

who did VGK give up for Eichel? It’s like they sold their souls this year and it backfired. 

would their other players they would have had had done enough to get them over, or was it really the injuries that derailed them this year?

Nov. 4, 2021

Buffalo Sabres Acquire:
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
2022 1st round pick (VGK) [Conditional]*
2023 2nd round pick (VGK) [Conditional]***
*Conditions: If the pick is in the top 10, Vegas will instead transfer their 2023 1st round pick to Buffalo
***Conditions: If Vegas' 1st round pick in the 2022 draft is a top 10 pick, then Vegas will transfer their 2024 2nd round pick instead.

Vegas Golden Knights Acquire:
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
2023 3rd round pick (BUF) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: If Vegas' 1st round pick in the 2022 draft is a top 10 pick, then Buffalo will transfer their 2024 3rd round pick instead

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Tuch was also injured at the time of the trade and Krebs wasn't doing much, so that didn't really impact the team as much as the injuries. 

Dallas didn’t get it done last night. They should be tired tonight hopefully. It is in the hands of the Flames now. Vegas pulled closer to Dallas as Washington could not win.

The east is just jockeying for position while the west may come down to the wire just to get in. Oilers sitting at 96 points haven’t clinched. There are still 4 spots open. (Closer to 2 but officially 4)

12 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Dallas didn’t get it done last night. They should be tired tonight hopefully. It is in the hands of the Flames now. Vegas pulled closer to Dallas as Washington could not win.

The east is just jockeying for position while the west may come down to the wire just to get in. Oilers sitting at 96 points haven’t clinched. There are still 4 spots open. (Closer to 2 but officially 4)

Dallas is in real danger of missing the dance.  They have the least RW of the teams battling for the final 2 WC spots.  Potentially, you could see one or more Pacific teams in the WC spots, though I think NAS has the edge.  But LA could be in over DAL if they drop out of 3rd.  Or VAN could win just enough to have to face COL.  Or VGK could.  I'm hoping for VAN to get in over VGK.  Depending on how DAL plays tonight, I'm not as sure about them.  We get the top goalie, of course.

With clinching the division, but no chance of catching Colorado, what motivation do they really have for the last 4 games? Gaudreau and Lindholm May both press for 40 goals. A few other personal stats. Vladar likely makes at least 2 starts now to rest Markstrom a little, but not too much.

Colorado and Florida both pushing for best regular season. Most of the east still playing for positions and pacific division still playing to make the playoffs. It seems like the Flames now have the least motivation to finish the last 4 games.

6 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

With clinching the division, but no chance of catching Colorado, what motivation do they really have for the last 4 games? Gaudreau and Lindholm May both press for 40 goals. A few other personal stats. Vladar likely makes at least 2 starts now to rest Markstrom a little, but not too much.

Colorado and Florida both pushing for best regular season. Most of the east still playing for positions and pacific division still playing to make the playoffs. It seems like the Flames now have the least motivation to finish the last 4 games.

That's where Sutter comes in. He's a coach that can manufacture motivation for an unmotivated group. I do hope to see JH and Lindy get their 40th goals