2022 playoff clinch tracker

bosn111

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the Flames match up better against NSH and LAK than DAL and VGK.  So hoping we face NSH or LAK first round.

The way DAL is fading  and the Kings harder schedule, we may see LA is 7th-8th spot and VGK in 3rd.

I think LA or NAS is probably the best draw.

Only way I want to face VGK is with a depleted lineup.

A weird twist would be VGK in 8th and they take out COL.

That implies LA is 2nd or 3rd.

I think it's shaping up to be a fight between 3 teams for 2nd and 3rd in the Pacific, with the WC spot being the runner up.

Not sure how 2nd round works if the top seed is out.

It should be 2nd seed vs worst seed.

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I am going to go out on a limb and predict CGY wins the division. The Coilers will finish 2nd and I belive Vegas 3rd and LGK get the 8th and final spot. As much as it would the best series to watch if Vegas and Colorado played the first round, I just have a gut feeling that Vegas slids in to the 3rd spot.

COL- LA

CGY- NSH

ST LOUIS- MINNY

COILERS-VEGAS

I see COL,CGY,VEGAS and BLUES Coming out. 

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

COL- Dal

CGY- NSH

ST LOUIS- MINNY

COILERS-Cannuts

I see COL,CGY, Coilers and BLUES Coming out. 

I think Minny is going to take out the Blues and theyre going to be an absolute handful for whoever play them after.

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

COL- Dal

CGY- NSH

ST LOUIS- MINNY

COILERS-Cannuts

I see COL,CGY, Coilers and BLUES Coming out. 

I don't see a very easy path for the Nucks to the playoffs.

Have to run the table and hope that LA falls apart.

The Oilers are going into the playoffs without a #1 goalie.

And that's assuming they can keep winning against tougher teams.

5 tough games the next two weeks, to which they don't have a great record.

They boosted Smith by giving him the easy games.

That doesn't work for the playoffs..

If they decide that Smith is the guy, he will stay in until they are on the verge of elimination.

If they go Kosknen, he will stay until he loses one.

Then it's Smith.

Clinch magic number is now 2.5. LA and Vegas can both hit 102 max, meaning Flames need a 5 point differential. With only 8 games remaining LA is 10 regulation wins behind Calgary so no way they can match that tie breaker even if they win out the season. (This was what I saw the other day… oops)

Division remains 6.0 at this time.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Clinch magic number is now 2.5. LA and Vegas can both hit 102 max, meaning Flames need a 5 point differential. With only 8 games remaining LA is 10 regulation wins behind Calgary so no way they can match that tie breaker even if they win out the season. (This was what I saw the other day… oops)

Division remains 6.0 at this time.

If we get 2 wins and a OTL (equivalent to 2.5), we have 102 points and VGK gets 9 wins in regulation, they would beat us out in a tie with more ROW. 

Magic number is still 3.0 (VGK) and division clincher is 6.0 (EDM).

We can clinch playoff as early as Thursday with 2 wins and a VGK loss (one of the wins).

We can clinch the division this week with 3 wins and 3 EDM regulation losses.

I think. 

TD, that is true with Vegas, but LA can also only get to 102 and they don’t have enough games to make up the regulation difference. So the magic number now changed to LA stats rather than Vegas.

If both Vegas and LA win out the season, they end up tied and Vegas wins the regulation tie breaker. If Flames get 5 more points in that time to also hit 102, for a 3 way tie, Vegas would come first in the tie breaker, Calgary second and LA third. So the number in this case is 2.5. 

Ideally Calgary gets at least a 3.0 differential which would guarantee 2nd in the Pacific ahead of both LA and Vegas.

Edmonton has been winning recently so yes, that number remains 6.

33 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

TD, that is true with Vegas, but LA can also only get to 102 and they don’t have enough games to make up the regulation difference. So the magic number now changed to LA stats rather than Vegas.

If both Vegas and LA win out the season, they end up tied and Vegas wins the regulation tie breaker. If Flames get 5 more points in that time to also hit 102, for a 3 way tie, Vegas would come first in the tie breaker, Calgary second and LA third. So the number in this case is 2.5. 

Ideally Calgary gets at least a 3.0 differential which would guarantee 2nd in the Pacific ahead of both LA and Vegas.

Edmonton has been winning recently so yes, that number remains 6.

Seems to check out.

I might point out that if we beat Vegas in regulation and win another game this week, Vegas can't catch us, regardless of LA.  

That means we have top 3 in the Pacific with 3.0 number.

LA could still win out and end up with 102, one ahead of us. 

I would be more concerned if  was an EDM fan.

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That is huge news for Vegas. Game changing talent

How does that work?  $9.5M to the cap, without cap relief sufficient to add it?  I thought that was the problem with them.  I think they can move Brossoit to LTIR, but that doesn't get them quite enough does it?  Unless you get to both remove his salary and also go over by the equivalent.  

Anyway, I would like to see how we fare against them with a complete "cheater" roster.  HAHA, just kidding about that part.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How does that work?  $9.5M to the cap, without cap relief sufficient to add it?  I thought that was the problem with them.  I think they can move Brossoit to LTIR, but that doesn't get them quite enough does it?  Unless you get to both remove his salary and also go over by the equivalent.  

Anyway, I would like to see how we fare against them with a complete "cheater" roster.  HAHA, just kidding about that part.

Easiest is Patches. Doesn't sounds like he is close and right now he isn't on LTIR. If Vegas places him on LTIR they have more than enough room for Stone. 

Other option is both Carrier and Brossoit are hurt and placing them both on LTIR is almost 4 million and they have 2 players up on emergency loans right now. Sending those 2 down is 1.5 so you have enough room for Stone without needing Patches on LTIR. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Easiest is Patches. Doesn't sounds like he is close and right now he isn't on LTIR. If Vegas places him on LTIR they have more than enough room for Stone. 

Other option is both Carrier and Brossoit are hurt and placing them both on LTIR is almost 4 million and they have 2 players up on emergency loans right now. Sending those 2 down is 1.5 so you have enough room for Stone without needing Patches on LTIR. 

Patches played the other night.

So, I assume that they already put Carrier on LTIR.

Haven't heard about Brossoit yet.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Patches played the other night.

So, I assume that they already put Carrier on LTIR.

Haven't heard about Brossoit yet.

Thanks, I missed Patches played. 

Carrier isn't on LTIR according to Capfriendy. 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Thanks, I missed Patches played. 

Carrier isn't on LTIR according to Capfriendy. 

Okay, so what I read was Howden and Hague placed on LTIR, not Carrier or other.

Think that leaves the about 4.4M short to activate Stone.

Let's see how they handle it.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

They'll kneecap anyone they need to put on LTIR, the Vegas way of fixing a problem.

Thing is to have guys making enough coin that you can get the docs to sign off on.

Just long enough to get to end of April.

It's a little tricky in the wording, as one part says maximum 14 consecutive days if consented, while another part say a plyer from LTRI can be loaned for a max of 6 days or 3 games.  If the former is allowed, they could send Stone down (if he agrees) to a conditioning stint for up to 14 days.

They would need to wait until Saturday to send him down.

It doesn't help them get into the playoffs but would be a gutsy move to ensure he coud play in round 1.

I can't see any other thing that both helps them make the playoff and gets them the cap to start Sone earlier.

Sending down Lehner doesn't help them win.

Sending down Patches doesn't help them win.

I just don't see it without some fishy business.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Thing is to have guys making enough coin that you can get the docs to sign off on.

Just long enough to get to end of April.

It's a little tricky in the wording, as one part says maximum 14 consecutive days if consented, while another part say a plyer from LTRI can be loaned for a max of 6 days or 3 games.  If the former is allowed, they could send Stone down (if he agrees) to a conditioning stint for up to 14 days.

They would need to wait until Saturday to send him down.

It doesn't help them get into the playoffs but would be a gutsy move to ensure he coud play in round 1.

I can't see any other thing that both helps them make the playoff and gets them the cap to start Sone earlier.

Sending down Lehner doesn't help them win.

Sending down Patches doesn't help them win.

I just don't see it without some fishy business.

Stone has been practicing with the 1st PP unit, so the 14 day stint thing would be total sketch. This entire sitch is total sketch, they're already running an $82,500 cap next year with only 10 forwards.

For the record, I don't like Vegas, but it could be any team. This pervasive cap manipulation and throwing away contracts (MAF) is really eroding it's way to becoming a mainstream thing to do. Because the managers won't stop it. Why would they? So now your managers meetings become a joke. The whole using LTIR cash (for guys you know are returning during this season) to make trades needs to get sewn up. Or address a playoff cap. It's only just beginning and potentially starts running rampant.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stone has been practicing with the 1st PP unit, so the 14 day stint thing would be total sketch. This entire sitch is total sketch, they're already running an $82,500 cap next year with only 10 forwards.

For the record, I don't like Vegas, but it could be any team. This pervasive cap manipulation and throwing away contracts (MAF) is really eroding it's way to becoming a mainstream thing to do. Because the managers won't stop it. Why would they? So now your managers meetings become a joke. The whole using LTIR cash (for guys you know are returning during this season) to make trades needs to get sewn up. Or address a playoff cap. It's only just beginning and potentially starts running rampant.

With TBL, at least they had a reasonable excuse with Kuch.  Given the cap dump TDL botched trade by Vegas, I'm not sure there is any reasonable excuse.

With the playoffs, it's reasonable to have a Black Aces group not count against a cap.  If you are cap compliant on the last day of the regular season, then how can you not be on Day 1 of the playoffs.  It's a joke.  I don't see any way Vegas can activate Stone right now.  They need him now.  If he's practiced, then the NHL needs to monitor Vegas' cap situation and not reward them as the Bettman Darlings.

Tonight is an important night in the grand scheme of post season seeding.  Vegas plays VAN, we play SEA, EDM plays Minny, LA plays CHI. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Place Nolan PatrickBrett Howden, Nic Hague, William Carrier and Laurent Brossoit on LTIR: $6,601,667
Current usable space: $1,560,833
Assign the following players to the AHL: Leschyshyn and Miromanov: $1,620,833
LTIR relief remaining: $283,333
Roster: 21 players (12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies)”

FROM: NHL Rumors: Vitali Kravtsov, Top NHL UFAs, and How the Golden Knights Can Activate Mark Stone - NHL Rumors 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Assuming team doctors are diagnosing injuries for their team's players, I wonder if having a neutral NHL doctor confirm injuries could be a solution to this problem.  If the NHL doctor gives a player clearance, then the team can no longer stash their player on IR until the playoffs.

44 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Place Nolan PatrickBrett Howden, Nic Hague, William Carrier and Laurent Brossoit on LTIR: $6,601,667
Current usable space: $1,560,833
Assign the following players to the AHL: Leschyshyn and Miromanov: $1,620,833
LTIR relief remaining: $283,333
Roster: 21 players (12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies)”

FROM: NHL Rumors: Vitali Kravtsov, Top NHL UFAs, and How the Golden Knights Can Activate Mark Stone - NHL Rumors 

I'm not sure but I think the deadline for a roster move is 3pm.  Here's a question, if you lose one of the mentioned players from the 21, do you even qualify for an emergency call up?  I think not, unless you have the cap.  All of this smacks of cap manipulation.  And while some of it may be smart management of LTIR dollars available (maximizing it), it sounds a bit shady.

BTW, Miromanov is already in the AHL.  Leschyshyn is an emergency loan along with Randbjerg.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Assuming team doctors are diagnosing injuries for their team's players, I wonder if having a neutral NHL doctor confirm injuries could be a solution to this problem.  If the NHL doctor gives a player clearance, then the team can no longer stash their player on IR until the playoffs.

Do they not already do that?  I mean review the reports from team docs and question anything suspicious.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Do they not already do that?  I mean review the reports from team docs and question anything suspicious.

No but, the NHL should send the doctor to the player for a full examination.  If not, then insurance companies should send a doctor.  General idea is, there should be third party review of injuries.

I know this could open a can of worms when it comes to teams keeping injuries secret. "Lower body injury" but want to hide the exact spot... With third party review, everyone will know the exact injury eventually.

But in the name of fairness and keeping teams honest with the cap, maybe this is the sacrifice that needs to be made.