The Re-signing Thread

conundrumed

9 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

I know you'll all think I am mad but can't we sell high on Tkachuk and send him out East?

What sort of return could we get for him?

i don’t think you’re mad at all? Maybe Gaudreau, Lindholm and a Mangiapane line could work? It’s on the smaller side, and maybe Tkachuk actually provides a bit of protection (players not taking liberties on him as much) for Johnny(?). Although, Mange tends to stick up for himself. 

could we find another player that can be a Tkachuk light to play with the top line?

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i don’t think you’re mad at all? Maybe Gaudreau, Lindholm and a Mangiapane line could work? It’s on the smaller side, and maybe Tkachuk actually provides a bit of protection (players not taking liberties on him as much) for Johnny(?). Although, Mange tends to stick up for himself. 

could we find another player that can be a Tkachuk light to play with the top line?

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk works, but that is as much on Tkachuk's abilities and Mange playing LW.  I would like to see a game of Mangiapane on LW with Gaudreau to see if there is anything there.  I feel like Tkachuk's passing ability is underrated though.  Perhaps one of the reasons why Gaudreau is leading the primary assists category.  Those passes to him are coming from somebody.    

If you were to ask the coach, he would say leave my line alone.  I will use all of the players top the betterment of the team.  

What I would want in a Tkachuk trade would be a top 6C and a top 6 winger (or top 3 D).

But is that the problem with this team?  We have potential replacements coming up for 2/3C, wingers and D-men.  What we don't have is any Tkachuk's coming up.  That's pretty unique.  Laine would be a good replacement, but doesn't have all the rounded tools.  

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

I know you'll all think I am mad but can't we sell high on Tkachuk and send him out East?

Prediction: Tkachuk will Captain this team next year after a strong playoff performance.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

I find it hard to project what we could get for him, I also think selling high is pretty tough to do.  Look at Chychrun for example, Arizona set a sky high ask for him and he is still a Coyote because nobody is coming near their ask, and Arizona has no real need to lower their ask they have him under contract for 3 more years.  I don't think GM's are in a rush to overspend in trades, and it's kind of shown in recent trades Eichel was underwhelming compared to what people on here would've given up, some people here would throw everything for Chychrun, but nobody here is paid to do that.  There are only 32 GM positions and its not too forgiving towards people who've failed in their fist stint.  My thoughts are Tkachuk is more valuable to the team than he ever will be in a trade, I do agree with Cross that the best option if we are looking to sell high is Kylington.  I've talked in the past of moving on from Tkachuk and Mang, but it isn't out of personal preference but it is out of fear that they may be noncommittal, but that fear also comes with realization that they will be tough trades to win. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk works, but that is as much on Tkachuk's abilities and Mange playing LW.  I would like to see a game of Mangiapane on LW with Gaudreau to see if there is anything there.  I feel like Tkachuk's passing ability is underrated though.  Perhaps one of the reasons why Gaudreau is leading the primary assists category.  Those passes to him are coming from somebody.    

If you were to ask the coach, he would say leave my line alone.  I will use all of the players top the betterment of the team.  

What I would want in a Tkachuk trade would be a top 6C and a top 6 winger (or top 3 D).

But is that the problem with this team?  We have potential replacements coming up for 2/3C, wingers and D-men.  What we don't have is any Tkachuk's coming up.  That's pretty unique.  Laine would be a good replacement, but doesn't have all the rounded tools.  

i don’t know if I see the replacement for 2/3 C yet. If you’re talking about Ruzicka, I don’t see enough assertiveness from him yet, and wonder if he can get there. He reminds me of Monahan in some ways, a bit gentlemanly, but he uses his body well. I still wonder if he can be a #2. Maybe a #3. 

with Zary, I want to wait another year or two. He hasn’t shown much From the AHL yet from what I understand. I could be wrong. 

i can’t think of anyone else who’d be pushing for that? Maybe Dube? 

I think the problem could be a middle 6C . Can Jarnkrok prove useful in that role?

Maybe a

Coleman, Backlund, Jarnkrok

could be a good but expensive shutdown line? 

then a line of?: 

Mangiapane, Dube, Toffoli

i wonder if Cross was right about needing another player to dish out the puck… there are a few shooters and we might need a passer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have nobody to shake hands with Bettman when we win the cup this spring/summer.

Do we send up Tkachuk and he butt-checks Bettman?

he might get a suspension for roughing up officials, and get us the Wideman effect. 

19 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I find it hard to project what we could get for him, I also think selling high is pretty tough to do.  Look at Chychrun for example, Arizona set a sky high ask for him and he is still a Coyote because nobody is coming near their ask, and Arizona has no real need to lower their ask they have him under contract for 3 more years.  I don't think GM's are in a rush to overspend in trades, and it's kind of shown in recent trades Eichel was underwhelming compared to what people on here would've given up, some people here would throw everything for Chychrun, but nobody here is paid to do that.  There are only 32 GM positions and its not too forgiving towards people who've failed in their fist stint.  My thoughts are Tkachuk is more valuable to the team than he ever will be in a trade, I do agree with Cross that the best option if we are looking to sell high is Kylington.  I've talked in the past of moving on from Tkachuk and Mang, but it isn't out of personal preference but it is out of fear that they may be noncommittal, but that fear also comes with realization that they will be tough trades to win. 

ya. I think if Johnny stays you might get commitments from Tkachuk. I agree with Travel about how Tkachuk sees the game in how he passes. It gets Johnny open and Lindholm has benefited from it too. 

At the  beginning of season i was saying trade Tkachuk and you can’t pay him that! Now I think if we want to compete they’re the two to sign. Lindholm is a #1C. He had elite qualities similar to Bergeron. Bergeron sounds like a planet in Star Wars. But keep them together.

Mangiapane i think could be the odd man out and by the sounds of it, his agent is postering to go UFA. Could BT have negotiated too hard the last time? Or is it just postering? 

what can we get for a Mangiapane trade? Is he a household name yet? Maybe he’s not garnered enough attention yet! 

i think it goes:

Johnny - $11m x 8

Tkachuk- $10.5 x7

Mangiapane - $6 x 6

56 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Mangiapane i think could be the odd man out and by the sounds of it, his agent is postering to go UFA. Could BT have negotiated too hard the last time? Or is it just postering? 

what can we get for a Mangiapane trade? Is he a household name yet? Maybe he’s not garnered enough attention yet! 

i think it goes:

Johnny - $11m x 8

Tkachuk- $10.5 x7

Mangiapane - $6 x 6

I would give up Hanifin over Mangiapane, and that's after I have softened on him.  Really I don't want to go there, because they are both key players to this team winning.  My bet for the Flames playoff scoring lead includes Mangiapane.  He is just so hard to stop.  I think he's worth more than $6.00 x 6.  At least worth a million.  LOL.

I think his agent is blowing smoke.  He's been taken to the woodshed a couple of times.  Hadn't really earned a big raise before.  One good year before he signed his last deal.  But the GM knew what was coming.  As long as we don't lowball him, he will sign for something decent.  Think you need to offer term though.  He bet on himself and now it's time for the Flames to do the same.  He's in his prime.  Still young enough to get paid, so why not 7 or longer.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would give up Hanifin over Mangiapane, and that's after I have softened on him.  Really I don't want to go there, because they are both key players to this team winning.  My bet for the Flames playoff scoring lead includes Mangiapane.  He is just so hard to stop.  I think he's worth more than $6.00 x 6.  At least worth a million.  LOL.

I think his agent is blowing smoke.  He's been taken to the woodshed a couple of times.  Hadn't really earned a big raise before.  One good year before he signed his last deal.  But the GM knew what was coming.  As long as we don't lowball him, he will sign for something decent.  Think you need to offer term though.  He bet on himself and now it's time for the Flames to do the same.  He's in his prime.  Still young enough to get paid, so why not 7 or longer.

One thing to remember about Mandiapane is he is relentless for puck possession, as his stats have shown.  We haven’t had that kind of player in a long, long time.  That is worth keeping.  In every league he has played, each year was an improvement.  I expect nothing less from him going forward.  I still think we may see 3 yrs at 6 million, and then a bigger 6 yr set.

I recall watching an interview just after his draft with Andrew and his mother.  One very telling statement she made was “tell Andrew he can’t do it.  He will move mountains to prove you wrong!”  So far, he has done exactly that.  IMO, that intensity and level of drive is too valuable to lose.

5 minutes ago, flames for life said:

One thing to remember about Mandiapane is he is relentless for puck possession, as his stats have shown.  We haven’t had that kind of player in a long, long time.  That is worth keeping.  In every league he has played, each year was an improvement.  I expect nothing less from him going forward.  I still think we may see 3 yrs at 6 million, and then a bigger 6 yr set.

I recall watching an interview just after his draft with Andrew and his mother.  One very telling statement she made was “tell Andrew he can’t do it.  He will move mountains to prove you wrong!”  So far, he has done exactly that.  IMO, that intensity and level of drive is too valuable to lose.

To me 3 years doesn't benefit the Flames.  I get he may want the bigger contract in 3 years time, but I would do everything possible to avoid it.  We should look at Tkachuk's last contract and steer clear of something like that.  Offer the extra year or two to bring down the AAV.  Otherwise, year 3 will look like Tkachuk's.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Hahaha! I rounded up on the time at 12:52 today as the wall clock looked more like 12:53 and the Kindergarten teacher says, “no, it’s more like 12:50.” My phone said 12:52, so she said hers was 12:51… 

i will put the $6m or $6,000,000.00 🤣

Could 7 or 8 years being the cap down? 

$5.75M x8yrs?

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

Travel has gotten me into one of those moods. 

is Mandiapane Mangiapane’s sister? 🤔 maybe that is his mother….

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

To me 3 years doesn't benefit the Flames.  I get he may want the bigger contract in 3 years time, but I would do everything possible to avoid it.  We should look at Tkachuk's last contract and steer clear of something like that.  Offer the extra year or two to bring down the AAV.  Otherwise, year 3 will look like Tkachuk's.

Obviously, long term would be best, but is Mangiapane willing to do 8 yrs?  In my opinion 6 yrs may be good for the club,  but not necessarily for him.  At 25, 8 yrs pretty much covers his “prime years,” and puts him in that “iffy” contact zone; most want to sign the person, but always consider the age as a gamble.  He may opt for 5 yrs, and then negotiate for another.  Logically, to me that would be good for both sides in sense of term.