The Re-signing Thread

conundrumed

Trading Chucky would solve a lot of cap issues and allow the team to stay virtually intact IF desired... just saying... if we win the cup this year, I give this serious consideration. 

*or* 

Get Dvorak from MTL, play Chucky with D-vo, move Toff to the Top line, and bob's your uncle. (Backs / Mony have to move out)

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't think they do, that money isn't needed to Gudbranson it's to sign everyone else. The Flames have options here but it is very tight for next season. 

Gaudreau (9.5) Lindholm (4.85) Tkachuk (9)

Mang (5.4) Backs (5.35) Coleman (4.9)

Lucic ( 5.25) Monahan (6.3) Toffoli (4.25)

Dube (2.3) ???   ????

Hanifin (4.95) Andersson (4.55)

Kyl (2.75) Tanev (4.5)

Valimaki (1.55) ???

Goalies 6.75

That team counts 82.15mill and the cap is projected to be 82.5 and I think that's with me being conservative on what contracts will be. Buying out Monahan opens up 4 million but you need 2.5 to 3 just to complete that team so that is spoken for. Not to mention buying out Monahan leaves a gap down the middle so who fills that?

I don't really see a scenario where the Flames can a pay a bottom pairing dman more than 2 mill. Your moving out a pretty sizable salary (in addition to Monahan) in order to do that. 

It's time to call it good with Lucic. He'll be 34 to start next year. We need the cap. How we move him doesn't really matter to me. Appreciate his efforts, but it's time.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's time to call it good with Lucic. He'll be 34 to start next year. We need the cap. How we move him doesn't really matter to me. Appreciate his efforts, but it's time.

I get the sentiment, but a buyout does nothing.  His NTC will block many possible trade destinations.  As appealing as his contract would be for Arizona once the bonus is paid, I don't see interest from his perspective given they will be a bottom feeder and playing in a college arena next year.  I think the only ways we are ridding of him without taking on an equal cap hit, is by giving up high picks while still retaining salary.  We may say now that it doesn't matter how, but the reality is it does.

Another scenario:  What if Mangiapane's camp sticks to their word and will only sign a 1 year deal?

Do you a) go the Gaudreau route and take your chances he'll resign before hitting UFA.  b) move him in the summer, he may be at max value.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Another scenario:  What if Mangiapane's camp sticks to their word and will only sign a 1 year deal?

Do you a) go the Gaudreau route and take your chances he'll resign before hitting UFA.  b) move him in the summer, he may be at max value.

I have wondered this as well. I love the bread man, and would hate to see him go, but as far as maximizing the value of your assets. What would he net you in return this off-season, in a sign and trade deal? If he’s in the neighbourhood of debrincat which I think he is, I’ve heard two 1sts and a solid prospect; or a 1st and a blue chipper. Being able to sign Johnny and Chucky, and gaining $6m in cap space allows a lot more flexibility in the off season, especially if you’re recouping a solid prospect and a 1st, or more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Unlike most teams, we don't have that one stud D who costs us over $7-mil so thus, we should be able to afford a bottom pair D at $4-mil... of course I hope Gudbranson would stay for $3-mil x 3 or even lower.  Valimaki - Gudbranson pairing doesn't break the bank as a 4th pair considering Hanifin-Andersson is an affordable top pair.  But if Gudbranson can get over $4-mil on the open market then we can't bring him back.  It's just too much.

Gudbranson has proved he can play 20-minutes a night and be dependable on the PK.  Plus he fights and defends his goalie.  I'm afraid someone will give him $4-mil... after all, RHS RD, second pairing, 6'-5"... so here's hoping he has built a good working relationship with Sutter and loves the city of Calgary and would like to stay for the next 3 years.

i don’t see Gudbranson getting that though, I actually think he was lucky to get what he got from the Flames. I also think his career was actually brinking on extinction and he’d be in Europe. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but he wasn’t signed until very late and that leads me to believe he had no one offering. 

maybe that changes this summer after what he has done in Calgary? I dunno. He’s never been a 4m guy. He’s been over paid. I think he realized this past summer that he had to reinvent himself. He looks different and maybe he has toned down, while still big, but possibly got him faster. 

Now, is it the situation and style in Calgary that is doing this for his game, making him look better, or is it him?? Both? 

i think the fit is right because the coach understands how to use him. IF he goes somewhere else, does he do this there? I’d venture to say no because he’s never been this player anywhere else.

sign him to 2M then, he’s not getting 4 from us. Go ruin your career somewhere else if you want 4.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

As a 4th liner. Need Dube back with Mony-Toffoli. Those 2 are slow enough without adding Lucic.

Back to Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis.

That's our 4th line. Richardson is too small and Ritchie is too void of any offence whatsoever. The on-the-fly line changes that put JG on the ice with Ritchie are laughable.

I believe Rozie's potted 2 while caught out with JG and MT.

i think that Ritchie is too void of almost everything. He doesn’t really skate with the puck. He can dump and chase then tip the puck to a team mate in the corners. After that he might fight. So ya, he’s a sitter! 

57 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I tend to agree.  His actual paid salary after the signing bonus is $1m.

Pay the SB and ask him to waive to go to Seattle for one year.

Or see if he wants to retire.

There isn't any justification for him to be used here in a 3rd/4th line role and I think we gave him everything he asked for from a team.  Put him in the best possible position.  He's being used more and more as a fighter for Cage Matches.  I think he would like to gracefully sunset and go raise his young family.  A long playoff run will be his swan song.

Lucic alone would solve 90% of our cap issues.  Can't have everyone from this year perhaps, but we would be close.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I believe mony Is tradeable .. won't need a buyout..may have to do the asset to take the contract , but either way he's tradeable ..

A team like Seattle might give you decent picks and player ..cuz they can certainly redoup a first at tdl..  Arizona is gonna have floor issues 

Lucic is interesting.. if he goes you need a player like him ..  I wonder what the rule is on trading a player to be bought out and then resigning him? We already know you can resign your own buyout .. getting him back at a better number would be a win 

I would put Mangiapane ahead of Debrincat..

Mange is doing at all with no special teams , no first line minutes and mostly 5x5...  I said for years if to could merge Johnny and mange into one player you'd have a super stud..  now suddenly Johnny is playing with Mangiapane grit and mange is just doing what he does .. he doesn't have Johnny's skill but I bet if you have him Johnny's spot and minutes he'd have twice the points that he does now  ..I say $6.5 minimum 

trade Mangiapane for a haul then. It’s too much. I think when he’s not scoring he’s not doing enough. I guess he’s killing some penalties though. Mangiapane is getting goals. Some are lucky but need to be good to be lucky. But I want to see more from him if he’s getting that kind of money. I guess I mean, he’s only got 10 assists. I guess he’d be on page for a 59 point season. But I wanna see more helpers.

maybe he’s a 5.5m or 5.75m guy.   

i still wanna see him get better. Is it due to the pp2 usage players? 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to agree.  His actual paid salary after the signing bonus is $1m.

Pay the SB and ask him to waive to go to Seattle for one year.

Or see if he wants to retire.

There isn't any justification for him to be used here in a 3rd/4th line role and I think we gave him everything he asked for from a team.  Put him in the best possible position.  He's being used more and more as a fighter for Cage Matches.  I think he would like to gracefully sunset and go raise his young family.  A long playoff run will be his swan song.

Lucic alone would solve 90% of our cap issues.  Can't have everyone from this year perhaps, but we would be close.

We definitely ressurected his legacy from Edmonton treating him like total garbage. A contract is a contract. We need a handshake for a year and, "we want you back here in mgmt".

That's my perfect world. Prolly more hopeful than practical...a buyout makes no sense. So what are the inoffensive avenues? Because we do love him.

54 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I get the sentiment, but a buyout does nothing.  His NTC will block many possible trade destinations.  As appealing as his contract would be for Arizona once the bonus is paid, I don't see interest from his perspective given they will be a bottom feeder and playing in a college arena next year.  I think the only ways we are ridding of him without taking on an equal cap hit, is by giving up high picks while still retaining salary.  We may say now that it doesn't matter how, but the reality is it does.

i dunno. We could send him out and taking on 50% of the cap hit. If we go deep and he’s a big part of it, teams might be willing to do that half hit. That saves a bit in the process. Maybe if we try trade him he could retire? I don’t see that happening but there are options. 

I would hate to lose Backlund.  who is there to replace him? Monahan isn’t that guy. 

52 minutes ago, sak22 said:

i move him and get Max value.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

trade Mangiapane for a haul then. It’s too much. I think when he’s not scoring he’s not doing enough. I guess he’s killing some penalties though. Mangiapane is getting goals. Some are lucky but need to be good to be lucky. But I want to see more from him if he’s getting that kind of money. I guess I mean, he’s only got 10 assists. I guess he’d be on page for a 59 point season. But I wanna see more helpers.

maybe he’s a 5.5m or 5.75m guy.   

i still wanna see him get better. Is it due to the pp2 usage players? 

That's about right to me too. I'm walking away at 6+. I think that overrates him.

Just now, conundrumed said:

That's about right to me too. I'm walking away at 6+. I think that overrates him.

i love how he scores, love that he’s a bit of a pest out there. My kind of player. He fights for his chances. At the same time he’s not creating enough for other players. Is that just me? 

i want to give him 5 or 5.5. It’s another career year and a contract year. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i love how he scores, love that he’s a bit of a pest out there. My kind of player. He fights for his chances. At the same time he’s not creating enough for other players. Is that just me? 

i want to give him 5 or 5.5. It’s another career year and a contract year. 

Buchnevich just signed as a UFA for 5 x $5.8. For me, he is clearly the better winger.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't think they do, that money isn't needed to Gudbranson it's to sign everyone else. The Flames have options here but it is very tight for next season. 

Gaudreau (9.5) Lindholm (4.85) Tkachuk (9)

Mang (5.4) Backs (5.35) Coleman (4.9)

Lucic ( 5.25) Monahan (6.3) Toffoli (4.25)

Dube (2.3) ???   ????

Hanifin (4.95) Andersson (4.55)

Kyl (2.75) Tanev (4.5)

Valimaki (1.55) ???

Goalies 6.75

That team counts 82.15mill and the cap is projected to be 82.5 and I think that's with me being conservative on what contracts will be. Buying out Monahan opens up 4 million but you need 2.5 to 3 just to complete that team so that is spoken for. Not to mention buying out Monahan leaves a gap down the middle so who fills that?

I don't really see a scenario where the Flames can a pay a bottom pairing dman more than 2 mill. Your moving out a pretty sizable salary (in addition to Monahan) in order to do that. 

So like I said in my post, it comes down to keeping Monahan or Gudbranson.  If we keep Monahan, then Gudbranson is gone.

Monahan could be replaced by Rucizka depending on Rucizka's progression.  I feel Rucizka is close to legit.  He could play 3rd line Center next season 18 to 20 minutes a night.  There is however, no one to replace Gudbranson from within.  The RHS RD with size and good defending.  I would keep Gudbranson.

And who replaces Rucizka on 4th line C?  Sutter wants another RHS C so that would come in the summer.  Maybe a Veteran or maybe we graduate Matthew Phillips who is the farm team's leading scorer.  Phillips is RHS C.

I know Phillips lacks size and we know Sutter wants size in the bottom 6.  Which, coincidentally goes back to Zadorov and Gudbranson.  Those two were certainly personal requests by Sutter to BT.   Don't be surprised if BT and Sutter chooses Gudbranson over Monahan this summer.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Lucic is untradable and a buyout doesn't save much cap space based on the way his cap is structured.  We knew this when we traded Neal for him.  Lucic is going to play his final year here and to be honest, would love him back for another year after that at league minimum.

He was the best man at Toffoli's wedding.  Toffoli is here for 2 more after this.  Sure they are happy here would stay together.

There will be room for Pelletier.  Dube moves to Center after we move Monahan or he moves to RW where he's actually better than on LW.  Dube is our floater who can move around.

Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Pelletier, Lucic is our four LWs next season.  We have to accept the fact that Tkachuk has successfully transitioned to RW.  And Coleman and Dube are LHS RWs next season.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i don’t see Gudbranson getting that though, I actually think he was lucky to get what he got from the Flames. I also think his career was actually brinking on extinction and he’d be in Europe. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but he wasn’t signed until very late and that leads me to believe he had no one offering. 

maybe that changes this summer after what he has done in Calgary? I dunno. He’s never been a 4m guy. He’s been over paid. I think he realized this past summer that he had to reinvent himself. He looks different and maybe he has toned down, while still big, but possibly got him faster. 

Now, is it the situation and style in Calgary that is doing this for his game, making him look better, or is it him?? Both? 

i think the fit is right because the coach understands how to use him. IF he goes somewhere else, does he do this there? I’d venture to say no because he’s never been this player anywhere else.

sign him to 2M then, he’s not getting 4 from us. Go ruin your career somewhere else if you want 4.

Capfriendly's UFA crop for RHS RD, 6'-5", can play second pairing RD, etc.  Slim pickings.  Someone will give him $4-mil x 3 if we don't.  I'm hoping he will stay for $3-mil x 3.

In terms of ruining his career somewhere else, he's 30 so he's looking for a final payday.  He might not stay here unless we do a 4-year deal.

6 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I have wondered this as well. I love the bread man, and would hate to see him go, but as far as maximizing the value of your assets. What would he net you in return this off-season, in a sign and trade deal? If he’s in the neighbourhood of debrincat which I think he is, I’ve heard two 1sts and a solid prospect; or a 1st and a blue chipper. Being able to sign Johnny and Chucky, and gaining $6m in cap space allows a lot more flexibility in the off season, especially if you’re recouping a solid prospect and a 1st, or more. 

I would absolutely trade Monahan before Mangiapane.  And if it comes down to it, Backlund before Mangiapane as well.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We definitely ressurected his legacy from Edmonton treating him like total garbage. A contract is a contract. We need a handshake for a year and, "we want you back here in mgmt".

That's my perfect world. Prolly more hopeful than practical...a buyout makes no sense. So what are the inoffensive avenues? Because we do love him.

I was thinking the same thing. Could Lucic retire and be brought in as a conditioning coach etc. Would his retiring drop his cap hit? Not sure of the legalities. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Mangiapane could hit 40-goals playing with Backlund.  That pretty much means he did it all by himself.  No way Bushnevich can do this.

Plus how far are you willing to go on Mangiapane? He's a career 0.5ppg player shooting at a 20% clip.

Buch just signed the $5.4. No way Mange gets more for 1 flash season.