Golden Knights @ FLAMES - Wednesday 9 February 2022

rocketdoctor

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Channelling his inner youth? Hope this Backlund comes to play more often. A point or two here and there would be great for the team's secondary scoring. He has the ability to do it, but I think having Mangiapane regularly on his line will help. It's like I said yesterday or today, he is a 35+ point guy without the talent, and with the talent he is a 45+ guy. 

Backlund has always been great at driving play but has tunnel vision and has no finish.  If he had finish then he'd be a 30-goal scorer based on the number of high quality chances he wastes during a season.  So many chances in the slot where he completely misses the net or shoots in the goalie's chest.  He'd also he a 50-assist guy if he could pass the puck better.  He opens so much ice for his linemates but he fails to find them.

Tonight, he put it all together and I mean, could've had two or three more points based on the highlight package.

Another solid outing for the boys and another bagel for Marky.

I think this is the consistency most of us were pining for under our previous head coaches and it truly shows just how talented this group is.

Tough test against the Leafs tomorrow and I hope Lindy and Backlund are on it defensively again as Marner is on a tear of late.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Another solid outing for the boys and another bagel for Marky.

I think this is the consistency most of us were pining for under our previous head coaches and it truly shows just how talented this group is.

Tough test against the Leafs tomorrow and I hope Lindy and Backlund are on it defensively again as Marner is on a tear of late.

I think tomorrow is going to have to be like a road game. Play it defensive but attack when they can. Hope the home ice makes it easier on the rest for tomorrow. It would be great to shut the door at home, make teams fear the dome (again).

Or get up on them early so that if they're ahead, they can have a big enough lead to withstand a push by them.

Thanks for the GDT RD. I would have to say without Markstrom playing well this game could have been closer. The first was very good but there are still alot of details in their game that need cleaned up. What I find is these guys still have bad habits of trying to much offensivley that they expose openings when turned over. This was a good win but was not one of their better games. We are starting to light the lamp which is good, but alot ot these goals were from 3-5 feet away from the net, which is a great assuance that we are moving the right direction. The other area is I understand Ricnie brings an element to the game but he is like a boat anchor for Mony and Dube, we have to find someone else that can at least bring that line to life. Lets hope we can put forth a solid effort against Toronto tonight. A win would be huge boost for this club on a B2B. Every other club has laid an egg in these games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Only watched the highlights for this one.

Where did this Mikael Backlund come from?  Two no-look assists right on Mangiapane's stick and a few other nice passes but didn't score.  Sniped from the slot.  Had partial breakaways and didn't sail the puck two feet over the net... I mean, he had a shot on goal on a partial breakaway, wtf.  Who is this guy?

Backs is pretty notorious for being more of a second half player. Typically starts slow and while I'm not saying we should expect that performance on a nightly basis I don't' think it should come as a huge surprise. 

49 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Thanks for the GDT RD. I would have to say without Markstrom playing well this game could have been closer. The first was very good but there are still alot of details in their game that need cleaned up. What I find is these guys still have bad habits of trying to much offensivley that they expose openings when turned over. This was a good win but was not one of their better games. We are starting to light the lamp which is good, but alot ot these goals were from 3-5 feet away from the net, which is a great assuance that we are moving the right direction. The other area is I understand Ricnie brings an element to the game but he is like a boat anchor for Mony and Dube, we have to find someone else that can at least bring that line to life. Lets hope we can put forth a solid effort against Toronto tonight. A win would be huge boost for this club on a B2B. Every other club has laid an egg in these games. 

I would say more like a dominant 1st and slight letdown in the 2nd.

The 3rd was score effects.

The good thing about shots coming from in close is that they mean the Flames are going to the middle.

Gaudreau from the slot.

Mangiapane from the slot.

Smaller players getting into the tough areas.

Beating a tired team is one thing.

Dominating in the 1st against a team like that is something.

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Backs is pretty notorious for being more of a second half player. Typically starts slow and while I'm not saying we should expect that performance on a nightly basis I don't' think it should come as a huge surprise. 

Almost like his shot accuracy is poor for some months until he dials it in.

What I am liking about the team is that Backlund might be missing in his breakaway chances, but Gaudreau is getting better.  Those two players account for a lot of breakaways. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

i could see that too. They can sometimes get away from Sutter’s plan. Plus, doing too much tends to get in the way of their offence too. Last night they had a lot of it, so it’s hard to fault them. 

not that Vegas was playing great all game. One thing to counter what we are saying is, that good teams will push back and force errors. I get last nights looked a bit like getting away from it & could have cost them, but it’s times like those that the hope is that Markstrom is on his game and in order to win will need to be. Especially in the playoffs. 

so let’s chalk it up to a full team effort; meaning Marky complete the team effort as without him it would be close going into the 3rd…

I liked how they responded in the 3rd and took it to Vegas. So to me, they redeemed themselves.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say more like a dominant 1st and slight letdown in the 2nd.

The 3rd was score effects.

The good thing about shots coming from in close is that they mean the Flames are going to the middle.

Gaudreau from the slot.

Mangiapane from the slot.

Smaller players getting into the tough areas.

Beating a tired team is one thing.

Dominating in the 1st against a team like that is something.

one thing though, I wonder how they prepped for the game. It looked like they were missing something last night. Give Calgary all the credit for taking full advantage. But If I were a Vegas fan, I’d be upset with their effort. 

something that is different about this team than years past, I think anyway, I’d that they don’t play down to the opponents like the usually do in previous years. To me that speaks to their preparations and coaching. They’re ready to play, and I wonder how ready Vegas was last night. Easy win then night before…. 

awesome to see them take full advantage and then close it out in the 3rd.

last time we saw this was like the St Louis blow out. In the rematch we looked terrible too. So I take the win and enjoyed the game and the comedy on the thread. But I worry what Vegas will take from it for next time we play them.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

one thing though, I wonder how they prepped for the game. It looked like they were missing something last night. Give Calgary all the credit for taking full advantage. But If I were a Vegas fan, I’d be upset with their effort. 

something that is different about this team than years past, I think anyway, I’d that they don’t play down to the opponents like the usually do in previous years. To me that speaks to their preparations and coaching. They’re ready to play, and I wonder how ready Vegas was last night. Easy win then night before…. 

last time we saw this was like the St Louis blow out. In the rematch we looked terrible too. So I take the win and enjoyed the game and the comedy on the thread. But I worry what Vegas will take from it for next time we play them.

The St. Louis one was weird, we caught them on a 2nd half where they played their cold goalie.  They caught us on a back to back after a dominant performance against Columbus.  I don't think Vegas looked as fatigued as St. Louis did, but were still sloppy, and Lehner definitely was not sharp, but again Flames of past years sometimes found ways of making nights more interesting then they had to when the competition was off.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Rematches can be extreme examples.

We played STL after we blew them out.

That rarely happen and was basically a similar set of circumstances for each team in the loss.

We played the same goalie in the B2B, which I would argue was not the best decision.

Little work in the CBJ game, but there's a reason for a backup.

Next and only game with Vegas in in Calgary.  In April.

Eichel will be there, but perhaps a good player is gone to make up the cap.

One thing to note is that the game in April is after a game in VAN at sea level.

They have a day to adjust, but we have seen that not work out for teams.

59 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The St. Louis one was weird, we caught them on a 2nd half where they played their cold goalie.  They caught us on a back to back after a dominant performance against Columbus.  I don't think Vegas looked as fatigued as St. Louis did, but were still sloppy, and Lehner definitely was not sharp, but again Flames of past years sometimes found ways of making nights more interesting then they had to when the competition was off.

I'll admit, in all of the one-sided wins so far I still have the voice in the back of my mind saying "they could still screw this up".

It usually goes away once its a 4 goal lead.