It's Game Day Biotches

conundrumed

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Minny's a lock for the 2 seed. They will have to play them if the Avs win rd 1.

Can't see St Loo or Nashville taking out Minny.

Imo, Minny is the team that plays like we do. We shouldn't get too excited that we beat them in the home and away. They're a better team than that. Had injuries, added MAF.

Little surprise with MAF, Minny always wanted him, he was always willing to waive for Minny. So I'm pretty sure MAF is where he wanted to be now. My wonder is will he play out 1 yr contracts with them now?

My guess is yes.

As an aside, Minny has the best hockey programs in the US of A. That's coming from someone in love with Michigan hockey. True story. That's why my teams are:

Calgary-Detroit: Just don't play each other. Grew up a D fan, 20 yrs in Calgary and a Flames fan. I was always a Flames fan vs Gretzky in the playoffs my pre Calgary days. Red & White x 2. Don't judge.lol

Florida - for being so under-the-radar for years yet burgeoning market not to be denied

Minnesota - if they said I can have 1 state to add as a province, it's all about Minnesota, all of the time. They are, pretty much, Canadian. Minus the guns, of course. I've been a low key cheerleader since Gaborik vs VAN.

Then I spent 2 months working there. I've kinda been all over in the US. Minnesota's heavily-armed Canadians

With Mormon girls told to do anything to convert you. Almost Canadian.

I had a 6 month pregnant girl drive me home from the bar. She told me some things. lol

Against the Avs, it will be a waste of 8 days.  Well, maybe 10.  We are all about bending and hoping not to break. 

Against Minny, I feel we are closer to 60/40 chance to beat them.  It will be close but we still have better goaltending and our top line is better.  We also have some enforcers to keep Dumba and Foligno honest.  Zadorov ragdolling Hartman was good indication of that.

Never been to MIN myself but looking forward to the Flames playing them in the conference finals if I'm not getting too far ahead of myself.

The LA-EDM game was a study in how not to play a team like LA.

They have a lot of younger players due to injuries, but they have some speed on attack.

And they play a good possession/cycle.

Only reason they lost was lucky goaltending by EDM, as well as some really good saves.

We shouldn't be as leaky defensively as them.

And we don't base our entire offense on the rush.

EDM still has the same issues with how the forwards backcheck.

Once it's in the D-zone, the Oilers rely on the D.

If they touch the puck, they take off.

Yeah, I'm not even sure what team I have watched the last two games.  

Really, it's been longer than 2 games.  The EDM was a shootout, so hard to read anything into that.

The Buff loss, the COL loss, the SJS loss.  Not our best.

I like that Sutter is bearing down on the players because they might be losing focus.  Taking the foot off the gas to save some intensity for the playoffs.  Well, keep that up and we won't be doing anything.  Get in the minset that each game is a playoff game and a loss sets you back in the series.  2 x 7 game series coming up.  Win a minimum of 4 from each set.  Lose one?  Better not lose the next game.

6 minutes ago, zima said:

So possibly they bring up Ras or some one else

They needed to bring up Mackey to fill in for Kylington.

Will go from there.

Ruzie the likely call up, but they have 2 guys that were sitting.

Carpenter and Ritchie.

BT said they will see how it goes tonight.

They go to California, so they can bring in Ruzie when they get there.

No time to do it for tonight.

At least if they wait till they go to Cali, Ruzie doesn't need to fly here for no reason.

Won't practice at home before they go.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan out for the season.  Needs surgery on his other hip.

Done until training camp.

Shilly day to day.

Mackey recalled, though we need a better C than Carpenter.

Can't really do anything about it right now until Shilly is back.

Why didn't go on IR prior to TDL?

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why didn't go on IR prior to TDL?

According to BT, he wasn't complaining about it prior to Friday.

Probably was the usualy story about playing through something.

Said that when Sean complains something isn't right, then it's past the normal play through it scene.

Most likely, it was a hit in the LA game that made it that much worse.

Obviously, there is a good chance that this was a nagging thing, possibly genetic, but the indication is it was an event that created the problem Thursday.  It's the labrum.  Those can be tears or impact related.  Either way it sucks.

The only upside to this is we will get a decent C into the lineup at some point.  Ruzie is good enough to play 3rd line C.  If that means that Carpenter sits and we use Jarnkrok to solidify the 4th line, so be it.  I would rather balance it out with a skill guy playing the 3rd line and the better defensive guy helping out the 4th line.  Jarnkrok isn't exactly known for scoring a lot of goals.  Ruzie has a better p/gp average.

EDIT - as a Flame that is.  Jarnkrok is closer to 0.5 p/gp in Seattle.

23 minutes ago, zima said:

From what your saying T_D picking up Carpenter was kind of a waist of space when we have a younger faster kid that is already at hand. I guess I just don't get the reasoning behind such trades ?

i think it’s just the need for depth going into playoffs. If Monahan went down and then another C then we would be out of options that can play?

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think it’s just the need for depth going into playoffs. If Monahan went down and then another C then we would be out of options that can play?

Ok then we have Carp I know nothing about him as a player but im sure he is not a top 10 player he is just a player with some NHL experience and he is a C. not much more than that. So Ruzie Could easily fill his skates as far as a point getter goes. My next silly question is on Coleman do you guys think he is earning his pay this yr or do you think he is not full filling his contract here as far as producing or even being a power forward type player? To me a power forward is a player than can prouce and bang and crash making the other team aware he is going to make them pay being in our end or even keep them against the boards or a good hard hit on the fly if you understand what I mean?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zima said:

From what your saying T_D picking up Carpenter was kind of a waist of space when we have a younger faster kid that is already at hand. I guess I just don't get the reasoning behind such trades ?

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Richardson was most likely to be that fill in until he was claimed.  After Ruzie there really was no one who would have been a realistic candidate to get called up if needed.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It’s not so

much an if Monahan went down, but he is now…

I can’t help but feel that his hip has been an issue since around Dec/Jan when his play fell off a bit…he was starting to out play Backlund and then suddenly dropped way off 

anyway here’s hoping he heals fully and can slot in as #2 Ctr next year! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Ok then we have Carp I know nothing about him as a player but im sure he is not a top 10 player he is just a player with some NHL experience and he is a C. not much more than that. So Ruzie Could easily fill his skates as far as a point getter goes. My next silly question is on Coleman do you guys think he is earning his pay this yr or do you think he is not full filling his contract here as far as producing or even being a power forward type player? To me a power forward is a player than can prouce and bang and crash making the other team aware he is going to make them pay being in our end or even keep them against the boards or a good hard hit on the fly if you understand what I mean?

He's a defensive C that has played 300 NHL games.  His faceoff win are 52% in CHI.  Not a lot of scoring, but he's bigger than Dube and can play on the PK.  

Ruzie is the next callup likely, but there wan't time to do it, and he was sick last week.  Ruzie is also better than a 4C, so would need to alter the roster to make him more usefull.  

Coleman was not ever billed as a power forward as much as a guy that brings a high compete level and knows what's needed to win games.  He's too small to be a power forward.  But he battles every shift so you think he's bigger.  I would like to see him score more, but that's not his role so much this year.  AT least not until the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! This annoys me about him. It wins points with fans and teammates but ultimately screws over the team.

Just now, travel_dude said:

He's a defensive C that has played 300 NHL games.  His faceoff win are 52% in CHI.  Not a lot of scoring, but he's bigger than Dube and can play on the PK.  

Ruzie is the next callup likely, but there wan't time to do it, and he was sick last week.  Ruzie is also better than a 4C, so would need to alter the roster to make him more usefull.  

Coleman was not ever billed as a power forward as much as a guy that brings a high compete level and knows what's needed to win games.  He's too small to be a power forward.  But he battles every shift so you think he's bigger.  I would like to see him score more, but that's not his role so much this year.  AT least not until the playoffs.

The timing sucks.  Unfortunately, the role he was given was to be a banger.  There may be some truth to when the drop off happened, but I don't know that I saw much different from him playing 3rd line or 4th line.  His PP time reduced it seems once we got Toffee.  There really hasn't been any time when I thought he was any better.  SOme games you saw hints of it.  

I almost think this is an event, not a wearing down.  There is a tendency to overuse one side when the other is recovering, but in theory he was 100%, not 100 on one side and 60 on the other.  He's taken a lot of hits recently, so it may have been a minor injury around the time he sat out and a big one in the LA game.  Or just a big impact in the LA or COL game.  The COL game featured a ton of hits by them (25), but the LA game was only 9 counted.  Really the only two recent games for him.  He last played against VAN and SJS.    

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! This annoys me about him. It wins points with fans and teammates but ultimately screws over the team.

Who exactly did not going on IR prevent us from getting?  It's funny the people BTCing about this now will also be the ones BTCing on draft day about a lack of picks.  I can't imagine this has been an easy year on the guy, fans and media were trading him all summer, he starts slow coming off a major surgery (not uncommon),at some point injures the other hip, probably plays through a bit a lot of nagging injuries do just go away over time, then the talk isn't about him being traded, its nobody will want him at his salary so he could be bought out.  Yes this guy makes a lot of money, but these guys go through the same stresses and mental challenges that the rest of us do.  So maybe cut the guy a little slack.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Who exactly did not going on IR prevent us from getting?  It's funny the people BTCing about this now will also be the ones BTCing on draft day about a lack of picks.  I can't imagine this has been an easy year on the guy, fans and media were trading him all summer, he starts slow coming off a major surgery (not uncommon),at some point injures the other hip, probably plays through a bit a lot of nagging injuries do just go away over time, then the talk isn't about him being traded, its nobody will want him at his salary so he could be bought out.  Yes this guy makes a lot of money, but these guys go through the same stresses and mental challenges that the rest of us do.  So maybe cut the guy a little slack.

on top of that it is part of the culture. Hard to get mad at Monahan for doing what almost all other players would do. 

it’s a BS culture that needs to change and shouldn’t be celebrated, but it’s incredibly common. The culture is what should be frustrating not the individual. 

According to Sutter, this just happened.  Maybe not against LA, but most likely against SJS.  There was a big drop off in that game.  The line got burned for 2 goals at evens.  They only played 9 minutes, and there was a ton of hits.  Was not a long standing injury.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

According to Sutter, this just happened.  Maybe not against LA, but most likely against SJS.  There was a big drop off in that game.  The line got burned for 2 goals at evens.  They only played 9 minutes, and there was a ton of hits.  Was not a long standing injury.

I don’t know, I think it was around those games that his hip finally couldn’t…I definitely think it’s been bothering him for longer than that…just a few comments Sutter has said and even Gaudrau has said kinda leads one to think it has.  Now I’m not saying that it’s like last year or anything like that, where he played for many

months Where his hip couldn’t but he did anyway…I think it’s been a slow process since Dec that was probably quite minor until these few games.

31 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I don’t know, I think it was around those games that his hip finally couldn’t…I definitely think it’s been bothering him for longer than that…just a few comments Sutter has said and even Gaudrau has said kinda leads one to think it has.  Now I’m not saying that it’s like last year or anything like that, where he played for many

months Where his hip couldn’t but he did anyway…I think it’s been a slow process since Dec that was probably quite minor until these few games.

One of the things that Gaudreau talked about last year was that Monahan had real trouble taking draws, that he was lame for about a minute after it.  If he had a long term injury, then he would have poor faceoff stats up to the LA game.  In recent weeks, his only sub 50% games were SJS and NJ.   

Really though, it's anyone's guess when it happened.

One day he is good, the next he can't go.