Nikita Zadorov signed

jjgallow

So we spent half of what Gio cost for one yr and still havn't filled the hole so what another 3.5 to find another D man that can score or wait what Dman that can score will sign for 3.5 . I still don't get it what did we gain by dropping 6.7 mill any player with his resume is worth over 7 mill now? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zima said:

So we spent half of what Gio cost for one yr and still havn't filled the hole so what another 3.5 to find another D man that can score or wait what Dman that can score will sign for 3.5 . I still don't get it what did we gain by dropping 6.7 mill any player with his resume is worth over 7 mill now? 

It was an aweful trade.

But I'm on a mission this morning to be positive and I'm not doing well at it .

Here goes.

I like the contract.    IMHO we will be able to re-sign him IF we choose to the following year.  He's not about to have an offensive breakout and catch us off-guard.  So I like the flexibility and although I completely disagree that he was worth a third rounder, I do believe he adds value and fills a hole that needs to be filled.

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Saying that I would almost think you believe the Flames are destine to fail again and pick high again

Yup.   I think if we trade him at the deadline, it's because we're out of the playoffs, which  in turn lowers his value and means we're exchanging a very high 3rd round pick for what will probably be a late 4th or 5th rounder.  More likely we don't get a taker.

But...positivity...I like the contract and I understand the need they were trying to fill

lol

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I was thinking 2 x $4.

1 yr for a 3rd I don't love, but as mentioned it can be recouped or he could re-sign.

Need sandpaper on D and he provides some.

The Avs are a great example of a team with great puck-moving D but no grit at all.

I like Dmen that play D first, then add in the other stuff.

Yeah, the one year is a bit of a problem, but he maybe is unsure of what the team will be.

I like the idea that we have a solid D like Tanev and a dirty rotten scoundrel like Zadorov.

I hated playing against him in the first round with the AVS.

He can go take McD or Drai into the corner or perhaps clear the front of the net.

Is he an UFA after the one year? If that’s the case and we don’t recoup that 3rd… just another pick used for depth D, like Gustafson, Forbort and others… don’t like it if it is… 

we are going to be bordering or just in the playoffs at the deadline, so we won’t get anything for him.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Is he an UFA after the one year? If that’s the case and we don’t recoup that 3rd… just another pick used for depth D, like Gustafson, Forbort and others… don’t like it if it is… 

we are going to be bordering or just in the playoffs at the deadline, so we won’t get anything for him.

Or we are near top of the division.

The thing about making trades at TDL is that the player has to be desired elsewhere and on a deal that can be moved and doesn't have a NTC.

Last TDL, who did we have that matched that?

Bennett, Rittich and Ryan.

The offers for Ryan were not really there.

We got good returns for the other two.

2 hours ago, zima said:

You're right. With all the first pairing, high scoring, PP QBs that were available for 6.7 mil it was such a wasted move.   Soooo many choices.

So you think if Gio needed to re sign this summer he would be getting $7 mil?   

4 hours ago, zima said:

Saying that I would almost think you believe the Flames are destine to fail again and pick high again

I did say worst case scenario, which yeah, would mean the Flames are out of the race.

There are still moves to be made, I'm sure, but right now I wouldn't be confident in saying the Flames will be a contender this year. 

40 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I did say worst case scenario, which yeah, would mean the Flames are out of the race.

There are still moves to be made, I'm sure, but right now I wouldn't be confident in saying the Flames will be a contender this year. 

The only way you get contender status is to win series.

No team in the Pacific is really a contender.

EDM needs perfect goaltending, Keith and Ceci being what they were in their best years and bottom 6 to be better than last year; does that even make them a contender?

VAN is relying on moves to bring them back from the brink.

Vegas lost an All Star goalie and has done little to get them back to the WCF; is Patrick enough?

Flames are an unfinished product.  They have yet to fix the issues they feel they need to deal with.

There are some teams in the Pacific that will have good seasons.  Not contender, but good seasons.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only way you get contender status is to win series.

No team in the Pacific is really a contender.

EDM needs perfect goaltending, Keith and Ceci being what they were in their best years and bottom 6 to be better than last year; does that even make them a contender?

VAN is relying on moves to bring them back from the brink.

Vegas lost an All Star goalie and has done little to get them back to the WCF; is Patrick enough?

Flames are an unfinished product.  They have yet to fix the issues they feel they need to deal with.

There are some teams in the Pacific that will have good seasons.  Not contender, but good seasons.

We'll see what happens in the next month or so. Right now though, I think the Flames finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the Pacific. They could make the playoffs, but hey could also face-plant. I have no idea what we will see this season. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

We'll see what happens in the next month or so. Right now though, I think the Flames finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the Pacific. They could make the playoffs, but hey could also face-plant. I have no idea what we will see this season. 

You could say the exact thing about every team.

The last two years were "special" years.

On paper last year, the Oilers were 3-5, but were buoyed by Smith.

We managed to have poor seasons by many players last year.

Very seldom do we follow it up with another poor season.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:56 AM, travel_dude said:

Or we are near top of the division.

The thing about making trades at TDL is that the player has to be desired elsewhere and on a deal that can be moved and doesn't have a NTC.

Last TDL, who did we have that matched that?

Bennett, Rittich and Ryan.

The offers for Ryan were not really there.

We got good returns for the other two.

Sorry I think for what we got for Bennett we should have kept him Emil Heineman  will probably never see the NHL or possibly even the A unless you know something about this kid but so far he hasn't given me a very fuzzy feeling and the second next yr will probably be a very high pick possibly a late 50's  since we were kind enough to give up on Bennett which I know had to come since we obviously had no Idea how to place in this team funny how the Panthers had his number right away but like most say on here they have a more talented line up to help him succeed. I do wonder however if he will do as well next yr because I do remember him and Brouwer had a good thing going but once the reg season started he went to hell in a hand bag. 

12 minutes ago, zima said:

Sorry I think for what we got for Bennett we should have kept him Emil Heineman  will probably never see the NHL or possibly even the A unless you know something about this kid but so far he hasn't given me a very fuzzy feeling and the second next yr will probably be a very high pick possibly a late 50's  since we were kind enough to give up on Bennett which I know had to come since we obviously had no Idea how to place in this team funny how the Panthers had his number right away but like most say on here they have a more talented line up to help him succeed. I do wonder however if he will do as well next yr because I do remember him and Brouwer had a good thing going but once the reg season started he went to hell in a hand bag. 

Get something for the player or risk exposure in the expansion draft.  As much as some people took issue with losing Gio for nothing, if we kept Bennett we'd need to expose him or or someone else of value.  But importantly Florida Sam Bennett was never going to show up in Calgary, he needed the change of scenery.