Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's an encouraging tournament so far from Coronato but I still think he's 2-3 years away. Really needs to work on his skating. 

I agree. Needs a skating coach for sure. He reads the ice pretty well and of course the great shot. He's an 'A' prospect for sure, but needs to get that leg strength. It'll come.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. Needs a skating coach for sure. He reads the ice pretty well and of course the great shot. He's an 'A' prospect for sure, but needs to get that leg strength. It'll come.

I think the skating is going to determine what level he is. I think even with marginal improvement he's going to have a really good shot to be an NHLer due to this smarts and competitiveness. It will just be further down the lineup. 

With skating improvement, and I agree it can be done for sure, he would increase his ceiling. 

That line is Cooley-Bordeleaux-Coronato.

But it's not unusual for that much talent to drift wherever it takes.

I think the RW for the US is:

Samoskevich

Coronato

Mazur

Lucius

But not necessarily in that order. Coranato's line has been pretty dominant.

Really good team and really good defensively.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That line is Cooley-Bordeleaux-Coronato.

But it's not unusual for that much talent to drift wherever it takes.

I think the RW for the US is:

Samoskevich

Coronato

Mazur

Lucius

But not necessarily in that order. Coranato's line has been pretty dominant.

Really good team and really good defensively.

Won't be long before Nate Leaman is in the NHL if he wants to be. Doing another nice job at the World Juniors. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Won't be long before Nate Leaman is in the NHL if he wants to be. Doing another nice job at the World Juniors. 

No kidding. That team is stealth. No Beniers, no problem. Quite the puck-moving D they've got.

On a side note, I'd never think Edvinsson is 6'6" the way he moves. Excited to see what he can do this year.

As much as I want to see more of Sweden, I would LOVE to see a Canada-US final. And wish it was a best of 3.

My hat goes off to Germany for about 4-5 years now. Their hockey is REALLY coming along. Just keeps improving. More scouts in Germany, it's burgeoning. Their kids now have NHL heroes. I wouldn't sleep on having a heavy scouting presence there. Hockey has become a big deal there.

Draisaitl, Stutzle, Seider...the list will grow.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:39 AM, conundrumed said:

I feel a lot better about him now than before the tournament.    And actually the slow development path is better.

Contract wise....well that's different.   Once his skating improves he'll be right around that time of Contract awkwardness 

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I feel a lot better about him now than before the tournament.    And actually the slow development path is better.

Contract wise....well that's different.   Once his skating improves he'll be right around that time of Contract awkwardness 

As much as our development team gets beaten down, I think we have an excellent team that is very good at letting prospects know "how" to work on areas that need improvement. His skating isn't terrible, just needs to improve.

He'll learn to despise skating with a parachute and endless crossover drills.lol And of course the gym and dryland footwork drills with ankle weights on.

Mindset is so important for prospects. Once you're drafted the really hard work starts. I think he's likely to join after this season and begin his journey in the A. He doesn't lack much, Toffoli isn't a great skater but he's having a nice career.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, zima said:

You guys have been Flames Fanatics for YRs and you think Coronato is going to sign with us to funny.

He would have to stay in college for 3 more years to sign anywhere else, as a 1st round pick that means he will lose out on millions of dollars. Even if he doesn't want to be in Calgary long term, it makes no sense to stay in college longer than he has to.

2 minutes ago, zima said:

The waist is picking them to  begin with in my mine they are at best 50/50 since he is US it is 70/30 he signs here.That is if he goes the 4 yrs.

Wouldn't it be cool if after his third year in college, he won the Hobey Baker award? And then he signed in Calgary, and ended up playing there for eight years, and that includes elevating the players around him, and also, having 99 and 115 point seasons?

It's not unprecedented.

Love.

Yes only OHL WHL and the Q. lol Erixon only wanted to play where his dad played had the Flames done there due diligence and interviewed him they would had known he was only going to go to NYR. But doesn't matter next you will say that a couple choose to go through the Draft again to go to a different team very few and far between happens more with college kids me thinks. But thank god I'm usually wrong and he will sign here but like I said if he goes the full 4 yrs then he has no intentions on signing here jmo.

32 minutes ago, zima said:

The waist is picking them to  begin with in my mine they are at best 50/50 since he is US it is 70/30 he signs here.That is if he goes the 4 yrs.

If we are basing picking on Americans in the first round we have picked

Matthew Tkachuk - signed

Eric Nystrom - signed (after completing 4 years in the NCAA, go figure)

George Pelawa - unsigned - inappropriate to speculate if he wouldn't have

Chris Biotti - signed - never made it out of the minors

So historically 3/4 with an unfortunate circumstance

For fun lets add 2nd rounders

Tyler Parsons - signed

Patrick Sieloff - signed

Brian McConnell - unsigned because he wasn't worth a contract

Dan Cavanaugh - traded - not a loss

Chris O'Sullivan - signed

Ted Drury - signed

Todd Harkins -signed

So if you factor 2nd rounders the only argument to be made is they made some bad picks.  Winnipeg, who is in the same boat as Calgary has made several US players their 1st and have never had issues signing a player.  

39 minutes ago, zima said:

Yes only OHL WHL and the Q. lol Erixon only wanted to play where his dad played had the Flames done there due diligence and interviewed him they would had known he was only going to go to NYR. But doesn't matter next you will say that a couple choose to go through the Draft again to go to a different team very few and far between happens more with college kids me thinks. But thank god I'm usually wrong and he will sign here but like I said if he goes the full 4 yrs then he has no intentions on signing here jmo.

No can't do that either. They took Jarret Stoll out of the WHL and he didn't sign. 

• Like 1

I made a helpful chart of all of the Flames first and second round picks dating back to 2003 (the year that Darryl Sutter took over as GM):

Draft Round Player Nationality Drafted From GP Signed
2003 1 Dion Phaneuf Canadian WHL 1048
2003 2 Tim Ramholt Swiss Swiss-A 1
2004 1 Kris Chucko Canadian BCHL 2
2005 1 Matt Pelech Canadian OHL 13
2006 1 Leland Irving Canadian WHL 13
2007 1 Mikael Backlund Swedish SWE-1 826
2008 1 Greg Nemisz Canadian OHL 15
2008 2 Mitch Wahl American WHL 0
2009 1 Tim Erixon Swedish SEL 93
2011 1 Sven Baertschi Swiss WHL 292
2011 2 Markus Granlund Finnish HIFK Jr. 335