Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

On 3/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, sak22 said:

35 points in 33 games so far For comparisons some recent 1st rounder forwards freshman seasons.

Chaz Lucius  19 points in 25 games

Dylan Holloway 17 points in 35 games

Brendan Brisson 21 points in 24 games

Alex Turcotte 26 points in 29 games

Trevor Zegras 36 points in 33 games

Matthew Boldy 26 points in 34 games

Cole Caufield 36 points in 36 games

Impressive comparisons.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, sak22 said:

35 points in 33 games so far.  For comparisons some recent 1st rounder forwards freshman seasons.

Chaz Lucius  19 points in 25 games

Dylan Holloway 17 points in 35 games

Brendan Brisson 21 points in 24 games

Alex Turcotte 26 points in 29 games

Trevor Zegras 36 points in 33 games

Matthew Boldy 26 points in 34 games

Cole Caufield 36 points in 36 games

To be fair though Coronato plays in a weaker conference in the NCAA than most of those guys, especially Zegras and Caufield. Adjusting for that it's closer but I don't think it's fair to say he was in their company. A small step back IMO but not the end of the world. 

I'm encouraged how he ended the year though and hopefully he uses that to have a big step forward next year. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To be fair though Coronato plays in a weaker conference in the NCAA than most of those guys, especially Zegras and Caufield. Adjusting for that it's closer but I don't think it's fair to say he was in their company. A small step back IMO but not the end of the world. 

I'm encouraged how he ended the year though and hopefully he uses that to have a big step forward next year. 

Similar output to Gaudreau in his freshman year.  And Kreider in his junior year.  Same conference IIRC.  I don't worry about the player at this point.  Not really ready to start his pro career.  May still be on the US team for the 2022 WJC.  Don't see why he wouldn't be.  Considering the timing of the tournament, it's a good start to next season.

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In general there aren't many 1st rounders that go to the ECAC, still very good teams in the ECAC, but my comparison is more based on most freshmen don't put up enormous numbers like Jack Eichel as they usually don't get the minutes or special teams time, Caufield for example played his freshman year on a team that also had Turcotte, Holloway and K'Andre Miller all were first rounders and freshmen or sophomores, but the team wasn't that great, same with Zegras' year at BU they were a very average team, some guys may get an easier path to ice time when the upperclassmen aren't as good.  Coronato was still 2nd in the ECAC in points and was amongst the freshmen leaders in the entire NCAA.  His production went up in February when Abruzzese and Farrell left for the Olympics which I don't believe he was getting top PP time until that point.  But I don't like saying so and so played in this conference so they are better, like in football the SEC is the dominant conference but is at best average for producing in the most important position at the next level.   But I understand having more cautious optimism, I think it needs to be applied to all prospects.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Similar output to Gaudreau in his freshman year.  And Kreider in his junior year.  Same conference IIRC.  I don't worry about the player at this point.  Not really ready to start his pro career.  May still be on the US team for the 2022 WJC.  Don't see why he wouldn't be.  Considering the timing of the tournament, it's a good start to next season.

And to be clear I am not worried either, i'm just think he has an "ok" year but i'm optimistic his play at the end will launch him into a really good sophomore year. 

I will admit I have some concerns about his game as he moves up to see if he can improve in certain areas so I approach him with a bit of cautious optimism naturally. 

33 minutes ago, zima said:

Now that he is done with the NCAA this year can he join the AHL or is it prohibited ?

He is free to sign with the Heat or he can sign with the Flames.  If he does it would end his collegiate career, I don't know if either party wants him to turn pro right now.

Friedman commenting that he thinks Flames will talk to Coronato but the expectation is he will return to Harvard next year. He also comments that the Flames feels comfortable with this and see no reason to worry. 

I think this is the right decision too so if I were the Flames I'd want him to stay in school too. 

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Friedman commenting that he thinks Flames will talk to Coronato but the expectation is he will return to Harvard next year. He also comments that the Flames feels comfortable with this and see no reason to worry. 

I think this is the right decision too so if I were the Flames I'd want him to stay in school too. 

Not sure what the benefit would be to bringing him into the Flames org this soon.  He's still honing his game in the non-pro world.  He's in an excellent environment for growth as a person.  He would just be in the AHL next year as it is.  Need to manage the contract side of things too, and not have too many guys on ELC's without the space to use them.

No big surprise....

Sportsnet

@Sportsnet
· 2h
Matt Coronato has decided to return for one more year of college hockey instead of joining the Flames. But the club’s most prized prospects made it clear he will not playing anywhere other than Calgary when he’s ready to make the jump. @EricFrancis) https://sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-support-prospect-matt-coronatos-decision-to-return-to-harvard/

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Pelletier-Kerins-Coronato may have a nice ring to it in the future.

Interesting for next year if Pelts and Zary can make the jump. Need the ELC's in the mix.

Pelletier needs to have a good camp to show what he is.

You have to wonder what the fit is in the roster.

Pelletier likely a middle 6 LW to start.

Zary could possibly be a 4C, just because he's less offense driven.

Depending on what we do this playoff season, we might see a move to younger players or continuation of the type of roster that wins (or close) the cup.  The turnover players would be your Lewis, Ritchie, Lucic, Jarnkrok players, though we may bring back Jarnkrok.  Really it doesn't leave many spots available when you also take into account Ruzie, Monahan's unknown status and a couple D.

Just fun to see that the pipeline seems to be in good hands. I know we've graduated Andersson, Bread, maybe Ruzicka well. But it's nice to know Zary, Pelts, Kerins, Coronato, Beck, Valimaki, Poirier, Kuznetsov, Wolf and all will be in the mix in a couple of years. That's a really good mix of prospects. We're short on picks this year, so that's a pretty good list to carry the prospect pool over. Really looking forward to Zary and Kerins having a healthy C battle next year. Kerins leads the OHL in draws taken this year and rocking a healthy 59% in the best jr league in the world. Haven't checked lately, but he's around 1,500 FOs taken, so it's a massive sample size. From my 2 live viewings, he's Getzlaf-level Hash Rate at the dot. He got tossed twice for waving his stick at the opponent before even getting set. Could have been what he said while doing that. Super-aggressive. I'd only seen Getzlaf with the Hitmen being that aggressive at the dot.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Just fun to see that the pipeline seems to be in good hands. I know we've graduated Andersson, Bread, maybe Ruzicka well. But it's nice to know Zary, Pelts, Kerins, Coronato, Beck, Valimaki, Poirier, Kuznetsov, Wolf and all will be in the mix in a couple of years. That's a really good mix of prospects. We're short on picks this year, so that's a pretty good list to carry the prospect pool over. Really looking forward to Zary and Kerins having a healthy C battle next year. Kerins leads the OHL in draws taken this year and rocking a healthy 59% in the best jr league in the world. Haven't checked lately, but he's around 1,500 FOs taken, so it's a massive sample size. From my 2 live viewings, he's Getzlaf-level Hash Rate at the dot. He got tossed twice for waving his stick at the opponent before even getting set. Could have been what he said while doing that. Super-aggressive. I'd only seen Getzlaf with the Hitmen being that aggressive at the dot.

I like the way we have those top prospects lined up for progression into the NHL.  We don't have to bring in a 1st rounder in their draft year.  Did that in the past and it worked out part of the time.  We have some runway now and a decent team that we should be able to keep together for the most part.  

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like the way we have those top prospects lined up for progression into the NHL.  We don't have to bring in a 1st rounder in their draft year.  Did that in the past and it worked out part of the time.  We have some runway now and a decent team that we should be able to keep together for the most part.  

Patience is the best part of it all.

I believe Sutter will stay beyond his contract if only in a consultant role.

He alludes to things that needed fixing when he got here. Fitness levels, players that shouldn't be here etc.

A lot has been fixed. The G depth for example was bordering horrendous. I'm thinking him and BT are a great combo to keep the whole org in pretty good shape.

Just don't give Sutter a say at the draft.lol

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Patience is the best part of it all.

I believe Sutter will stay beyond his contract if only in a consultant role.

He alludes to things that needed fixing when he got here. Fitness levels, players that shouldn't be here etc.

A lot has been fixed. The G depth for example was bordering horrendous. I'm thinking him and BT are a great combo to keep the whole org in pretty good shape.

Just don't give Sutter a say at the draft.lol

I'm a little leery about Sutter being involved in trades too.

No problem with Guddy and Lewis, but only if you can afford them.

Lewis not an issue but we can afford a $4m version of Guddy.

Zaddy was not a Sutter choice, but has rounded him into a 50% nice 50% yikes player.

Before he was 20/80.

Zary has really heated up lately but he still hasn't had the season you want. I think there are reasons (mostly he played very little last year) so no reason to get concerned yet but I don't think I would view him as an option for the team next year. Has some work to do. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Zary has really heated up lately but he still hasn't had the season you want. I think there are reasons (mostly he played very little last year) so no reason to get concerned yet but I don't think I would view him as an option for the team next year. Has some work to do. 

Same same. No reason to rush. Him and Kerins should be the Heat centers next year. No reason to have Gawdin around.