Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

3 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

In fairness, Craig Anderson is American.

Love.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Actually cross the OHL off as well as they took Craig Anderson in 1999 and he didn't sign either.

There was a story of the Flames being late to fax paperwork in for the Anderson deal and they missed the deadline. Shows how poorly the team was ran for a while

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There was a story of the Flames being late to fax paperwork in for the Anderson deal and they missed the deadline. Shows how poorly the team was ran for a while

that was the Stoll deal. When they couldn’t come to terms they traded him to the Leafs but fax was too late so trade wasn’t upheld and Stoll went back into the draft

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So could we/should we sign Coronato in a couple months and give him 10-games?  Is he the RHS RW we need this season?

can but timing will be a potential issue as it depends on how far Harvard goes. playoffs are in March and Frozen four is early April. Harvard is ranked top 10 so could have a deep run that would make it tough for him to get games in. 

I think it’s highly unlikely they go this route though. 

It's hard to speculate because it depends on what Coronato wants to do and when his season ends.  If we assume he wants to sign this year and he wants to play this year:

Earliest he likely could sign is first week of March. First week of his conference playoffs is March 4th. it would be an upset if Harvard lost but if they did he'd be eligible to sign. There would be about 16 or so games left for the Flames at this point. 

If they go all the way to the finals and lost then he could sign the last week of March. Be about 7/8 games left for the Flames at this point. 

If they went to the Frozen Four he woudln't be available till about Mid April. Maybe in time for 1 more game and yes he would be eligible for playoffs. 

There is also the potential he is up for the Hobey Baker. That is not looking very likely but it's another potential issue to signing him. That isn't handed out until April, but as I mentioned it's not looking likely he is a candidate for it. 

End of the day it's hard to say but I also think it's not relevant as I don't think the Flames would go this route and honesty I'm not a big believer he could step in right away and help. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This guy will look good wearing 19 in this city.

23pts in 20 games. Been playing some C this year.

The RHS forward this fanbase has been clamouring for.

23 points isn't quite enough to get excited about, but they are literally all from goals lol

that's...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/2022-2023?age=u21&sort=g

good for 10th in the league for his age, and, all the others have played more games.   at 0.6 goals per game I believe that does put him top 5.

It's in the ballpark of where we want him to be....but without a doubt the most interesting was his WJC performance.  Very interested to  see what he does in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

23 points isn't quite enough to get excited about, but they are literally all from goals lol

that's...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/2022-2023?age=u21&sort=g

good for 10th in the league for his age, and, all the others have played more games.   at 0.6 goals per game I believe that does put him top 5.

It's in the ballpark of where we want him to be....but without a doubt the most interesting was his WJC performance.  Very interested to  see what he does in the playoffs.

The production is fine. Nowhere near where Johnny was in college.

The Flames need a scorer, that's what he profiles as.

The fact that he's been playing C, all the better.

He will be playing NHL games this year I think...

31 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The production is fine. Nowhere near where Johnny was in college.

The Flames need a scorer, that's what he profiles as.

The fact that he's been playing C, all the better.

He will be playing NHL games this year I think...

imho a longer term project.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This guy will look good wearing 19 in this city.

23pts in 20 games. Been playing some C this year.

The RHS forward this fanbase has been clamouring for.

Looking at a whole lot of vanilla here.

Not sure his nose is big enough to wear #19 as a Flame.

Skates down the side boards unimpeded, shots and scores from top of circle, ok.

Doesn’t matter how you hold a stick, so long as you have one in your hands, you’d be severely handicapped with no stick at all.

Harvard education vs Hockey pro contract, looks like a saw off atm.

USA college kid, we know how this will likely end up.

43 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There's been no indication he won't sign.

I get the worry, but it's not warranted.

I'm also not worried.

The reason, however, is that you have to be Gaudreau or Fox level for it to be a thing.   Unless you're a clear budding superstar you'll take the extra year on your contract.

He's not at that level right now, so I'm not super concerned.   But if he were to bring things up another level it would be both exciting and concerning lol.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I'm also not worried.

The reason, however, is that you have to be Gaudreau or Fox level for it to be a thing.   Unless you're a clear budding superstar you'll take the extra year on your contract.

He's not at that level right now, so I'm not super concerned.   But if he were to bring things up another level it would be both exciting and concerning lol.

Exactly. 950k + bonuses, is a ton of money for a college kid.

Financially, it only makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Exactly. 950k + bonuses, is a ton of money for a college kid.

Financially, it only makes sense.

Well, the SB is the only big amont he would see without playing in the NHL.

Getting a free degree from Harvard?

Worth close to the amount of that SB.

Fox gave it up to sign into the NHL directly.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a Flame.

I just don't know that the timetable for him playing will make a lot of people comfortable.

He could sign this sprng, but the timing probably excludes him from the NHL

Is that really going to make him want to sign this year?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the SB is the only big amont he would see without playing in the NHL.

Getting a free degree from Harvard?

Worth close to the amount of that SB.

Fox gave it up to sign into the NHL directly.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a Flame.

I just don't know that the timetable for him playing will make a lot of people comfortable.

He could sign this sprng, but the timing probably excludes him from the NHL

Is that really going to make him want to sign this year?

https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/massachusetts/harvard-university/salaries/

It always comes down to the player wants and how determined he is. Fox was clearly very determined to make it to New York and if (key word here is IF) Coronato feels the same there is little the Flames can do. No indications that is the case here though and there was with Fox. 

But financially the Flames have a significant edge here. They can start the contract this season, without him having to play a game which not only gets money in his pocket but it starts the clock on unrestricted free agency. and getting him off that ELC. For him to reject the Flames and push to be a UFA he would be adding 2 years onto that timeline so instead of perhaps becoming an RFA in 2 years and a UFA in 6 he'd be looking at coming off his ELC in 5 years and a UFA in 8. 

Said this with Fox and it still holds, I think there is no way Coronato makes it to UFA and completes 4 years. He'll sign with the Flames or the Flames will trade him and at this point there is no reason to believe he wants to go elsewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

7:30pm start. I'll run both games if I can stay awake. Long day.

Harharhar,matey!!

I didn't realize it was one of the games on that undisclosed former soviet streaming service, LOL.

If I can manage to do two things at once, I may tune it in.

May the stream be with you.