Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

AT this point, don't you think it's a bit early to start worrying about what a player may do in 3-4 years?

Every teams drafts from the NCAA.

Name the 1st rounders that have ever decided to play 4 years to get to free agency.

Perhaps a lesser pick (2nd or 3rd round) could be a concern, but they almost always play 4 years because they are not good enough early.

Or maybe we should worry about Russian players drafted that never come to Canada.

What has Coronato said about playing in the NHL?  He wants to get there as soon as possible.

Chance at $900k+ per year sooner.

Or he stays in college and loses out on that, plus he has to wait that much longer to be a UFA.

Of all the NCAA players drafted, can you even name one that was a 1st round pick?

I know of one.  Kevin Hayes.

Blake Wheeler did the 1 USHL and 3 NCAA seasons after being picked #5.   Wheeler at the time wasn't projecting to be a high pick and was deemed a project, so made sense why he took the time, and by the time he was ready to move on the Coyotes weren't in the best shape roster wise or financially so it made sense to move on if you could.

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Blake Wheeler did the 1 USHL and 3 NCAA seasons after being picked #5.   Wheeler at the time wasn't projecting to be a high pick and was deemed a project, so made sense why he took the time, and by the time he was ready to move on the Coyotes weren't in the best shape roster wise or financially so it made sense to move on if you could.

Yeah, that's going back to the turn of the century almost.

11 hours ago, zima said:

I get it you don't feel it is an issue good for you but I do and I feel it is a big mistake to take NCAA player and that is JMO any time a college player goes the 4 yrs we take a chance on losing him and that is a fact like it or not.

So, you've hit a touchy subject, and of course when you do that (as I have learned), you get people rushing to stop you and show you you're wrong.  Going out of their way.

You have every right to be concerned, we've lost boatloads of talent to College and NOT only that, but our track record of drafting college players in the first round (Jankowski) is also not great.   Based on our past experience you have a valid concern and that is exactly why people are rushing to show you that you're wrong.   I also find that annoying.  It is absolutely a higher risk than junior and everyone knows this, and we could get into a big debate about exactly why but that's pointless because everyone can see it lol.

But.   (there is a but)   In this particular case I do think it is different, and I would agree that the risk here is minimal.

It becomes risky when players spend 4 years in college.   That's simply not going to happen with a RHS forward of Coronato's ability.   And if he does spend that long in college...something is wrong.   Like was the case with Jankowski.    This is even lower risk than Gaudreau, because Gaudreau needed that extra development time with his size.  Coronato presumably will develop even faster and there is just no reason for a concern here.    For a defencemen or a goalie, there is a potential issue, I do agree with you.

I do also understand why people get so annoyed with this question.   But I wish that could be channelled where it belongs, which is the very very questionable decisions the Flames have made in the past, rather than blaming people for noticing them or coming up with flawed arguements about how junior is riskier.   Players in junior have to work with their organization to continue their next 4 years of development.  Or they stall.    College players simply don't have to.    Really we should move the draft age to 19 imho, and grant occasional exceptional status where warranted.

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

So, you've hit a touchy subject, and of course when you do that (as I have learned), you get people rushing to stop you and show you you're wrong.  Going out of their way.

You have every right to be concerned, we've lost boatloads of talent to College and NOT only that, but our track record of drafting college players in the first round (Jankowski) is also not great.   Based on our past experience you have a valid concern and that is exactly why people are rushing to show you that you're wrong.   I also find that annoying.  It is absolutely a higher risk than junior and everyone knows this, and we could get into a big debate about exactly why but that's pointless because everyone can see it lol.

But.   (there is a but)   In this particular case I do think it is different, and I would agree that the risk here is minimal.

It becomes risky when players spend 4 years in college.   That's simply not going to happen with a RHS forward of Coronato's ability.   And if he does spend that long in college...something is wrong.   Like was the case with Jankowski.    This is even lower risk than Gaudreau, because Gaudreau needed that extra development time with his size.  Coronato presumably will develop even faster and there is just no reason for a concern here.    For a defencemen or a goalie, there is a potential issue, I do agree with you.

I do also understand why people get so annoyed with this question.   But I wish that could be channelled where it belongs, which is the very very questionable decisions the Flames have made in the past, rather than blaming people for noticing them or coming up with flawed arguements about how junior is riskier.   Players in junior have to work with their organization to continue their next 4 years of development.  Or they stall.    College players simply don't have to.    Really we should move the draft age to 19 imho, and grant occasional exceptional status where warranted.

or make it like the NBA? Players declare their eligibility. Only a few start at 18 and they’re the elite of the elite. I guess that’s where the AHL clubs might lose out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

So like,

Coronato's going to Harvard.

How does that work.....

Serious question (no trolling intended)....does he have to be smart?

Are most hockey players book smart?

Doubt it.

Doesn't mean they are not itelligent.

There are a number of hockey players that get to go to Harvard each year.

They need to keep their grades up to maintain the scholarship or play n NCAA sports.

The good players will get tuitors.

Other than the name and rep, Harvard is just another school.

Ivy League and all that, but just another one with degrees and courses.

It's not like he was accepted at Law School.

So, in other words, I don't really know.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Are most hockey players book smart?

Doubt it.

Doesn't mean they are not itelligent.

There are a number of hockey players that get to go to Harvard each year.

They need to keep their grades up to maintain the scholarship or play n NCAA sports.

The good players will get tuitors.

Other than the name and rep, Harvard is just another school.

Ivy League and all that, but just another one with degrees and courses.

It's not like he was accepted at Law School.

So, in other words, I don't really know.

If they can keep their grades up while playing College hockey, imho they have to be kinda smart.

Granted like you say there are different programs.

I wish the Canadian Universities had something similar.   Can't honestly say I watch University hockey.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Our only prospect in the tourney potentially?

So far it sems that way.

The Ruskies didn't list Kuznetsov as being invited.

Kerins, Beck and Poirier not invited.

The D is pretty deep for Team Canada, so Poirier was a long shot, even though he is killing it in the CHL.

Thought they might include Sargeev on Russia, but they prefer guys that are playing overseas.

He wouldn't even get a sniff anyway.

Now, our Olympic hopefuls list is another story.

Ruzicka, Backlund, Markstrom, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Tanev (long shot), Vladar, Valimaki (questionable right now), Coleman (long shot), Hanifin (50/50), and Zadorov (medium long shot).  I think both Ras and Kylington are not on the projected list.  No confirmation that they won't be, just not right now.   

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Our only prospect in the tourney potentially?

It's a little confusing, but it appears that Kuznetsov and Daniil Chayka will join the WJ team at some point.

That is true of NA based players.

A bit confused, though this is just competing for a spot, I believe.

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, zima said:

So whatcha think trade him for JAKOB CHYCHRUN we get a top D man and we still keep our core and I know we will have to do something to get us in the Black and I have no Idea what we do to make it work ?

I think it might take a bit more. I'd love it if it only took Coronato. But I have a feeling it would take Coronato, Hanifin, Dube and a 1st or something like that? I am only guessing, but maybe no Dube. I just think they might be able to get something out of Hanifin if they want to deal him in another trade, or we make it a 3-way. One of these days, I think BT will have to pay up to get a player like that. Maybe it is all in Draft Capital? 

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think it might take a bit more. I'd love it if it only took Coronato. But I have a feeling it would take Coronato, Hanifin, Dube and a 1st or something like that? I am only guessing, but maybe no Dube. I just think they might be able to get something out of Hanifin if they want to deal him in another trade, or we make it a 3-way. One of these days, I think BT will have to pay up to get a player like that. Maybe it is all in Draft Capital? 

Ouch more than I would have thought it would take how about Jak zary or Vali and Mony although hate to give up on Mony because of having a bad yr every player has one of those even MacKinnon has had a bad yr. But I know we need to move cash to bring in Chyc . So that makes 2 first and a top C ?

4 hours ago, zima said:

Ouch more than I would have thought it would take how about Jak zary or Vali and Mony although hate to give up on Mony because of having a bad yr every player has one of those even MacKinnon has had a bad yr. But I know we need to move cash to bring in Chyc . So that makes 2 first and a top C ?

I think somewhere in the middle between what you think and what I think. I tend to go a bit more on almost giving up too much side.  

• 2 weeks later...

35 points in 33 games so far.  For comparisons some recent 1st rounder forwards freshman seasons.

Chaz Lucius  19 points in 25 games

Dylan Holloway 17 points in 35 games

Brendan Brisson 21 points in 24 games

Alex Turcotte 26 points in 29 games

Trevor Zegras 36 points in 33 games

Matthew Boldy 26 points in 34 games

Cole Caufield 36 points in 36 games

• Like 1