Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

• 1 month later...

Harvard gets past Cornell 1-0 in OT on a goal by Lafferiere in their ECAC semi-final.. It wasn't an exciting game. They will play Colgate in the final tonight at 7:30pm EST. Colgate pulled off the upset over 2nd ranked Quinnipiac 2-1 in double OT.

A win tonight and Harvard goes to the Frozen Four tourney(highly-seeded) for the National Championship next weekend. A loss and they await Sunday's verdict on the 10 invited teams. Due to upsets that have already occurred, I suspect Harvard will get in, but a much lower seed. The selections are made at 7pm EST.

6 Conference champs are automatic, then 10 more invite teams are selected. 

April 6th are the Semi's, 8th is the Final. Should Harvard not get to the final 4, Coronato's season is over March 26th.

If I'm a betting man, they won't be in the final 4, but it depends on the bracket.

Here's a list of Conference Finals today with National Rank(Top 20) in parenthesis:

ECAC

Colgate(-) vs Harvard(6)

AH

Holy Cross(-) vs Canisius(-)

CCHA

N. Michigan(-) vs Minnesota State(12)

Hockey East

Merrimack(14) vs Boston U(5)

NCHC

Colorado College(-) vs St. Cloud State(7)

Big Ten

Michigan(4) vs Minnesota(1)

If you like underdogs, Colorado College(13-21-3) has/have dispatched of W. Michigan(9) and last year's champs Denver(3).

The Flames just have to get in.lol

Down they went to Colgate. But they'll be an invite for the frozen 4 tourney. If they get to the final 4, I'll be absolutely shocked. I think the 6 ranking flatters them.

Coronato could opt for his jr year and that would be okay. Don't expect a world beater, I'd guess middle 6 winger.

The did get a Frozen four invite. Next game for Harvard is March 24th. Single loss tournament so as soon as Coronato and his team loses he'll be eligible to sign/play for the Flames if that is the decision. 

I'm with Conundrumed on this, I don't see a top end prospect. Good player, solid in all areas, but I don't see a skill set that is going to separate him at this point. If he can work on his shot then maybe he can increase his upside but I also think it's highly likely he becomes a pro. Very Pelletier like. 

I do think it's a bit of a red flag though if he doesn't want to sign this offseason. I think he's ready for the next step and I don't see how playing in the NCAA is going to further his game at this point. If he wants to go back for his junior year I'd be asking some questions as to what his true intentions are because I think he's ready to turn pro. His negotiation is an interesting one. I personally don't think he's enough of a highly valued prospect to warrant just giving him what he wants, but he's got some leverage given what the Flames have gone through. Ideally they'd sign him for next year but does he have the leverage to make them pay him now and get him games? Be interesting to see. 

Before anyone freaks out a reminder that he needs to play 2 more season in the NCAA before he is UFA eligible so this off-season is not really a trigger point for a decision. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The did get a Frozen four invite. Next game for Harvard is March 24th. Single loss tournament so as soon as Coronato and his team loses he'll be eligible to sign/play for the Flames if that is the decision. 

I'm with Conundrumed on this, I don't see a top end prospect. Good player, solid in all areas, but I don't see a skill set that is going to separate him at this point. If he can work on his shot then maybe he can increase his upside but I also think it's highly likely he becomes a pro. Very Pelletier like. 

I do think it's a bit of a red flag though if he doesn't want to sign this offseason. I think he's ready for the next step and I don't see how playing in the NCAA is going to further his game at this point. If he wants to go back for his junior year I'd be asking some questions as to what his true intentions are because I think he's ready to turn pro. His negotiation is an interesting one. I personally don't think he's enough of a highly valued prospect to warrant just giving him what he wants, but he's got some leverage given what the Flames have gone through. Ideally they'd sign him for next year but does he have the leverage to make them pay him now and get him games? Be interesting to see. 

Before anyone freaks out a reminder that he needs to play 2 more season in the NCAA before he is UFA eligible so this off-season is not really a trigger point for a decision. 

Yeah, I see him very much in the same mood as Pelletier, Dube and Mangiapane. He is a bit thicker than those guys so that will help him at the next level. He doesn’t have that one skill that is going to set him apart, but it will his willingness to go to work and be responsible in all 3 zones that will make him effective as a pro.

To me he is a middle 6 winger at the NHL level, who can play on the PP. 

He is a good prospect and I would be willing to burn this year, if it means getting him signed now. Though I have a hard time seeing Sutter putting him in the lineup unless we are eliminated from the playoffs.

I could also see him starting next season in the AHL.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, I see him very much in the same mood as Pelletier, Dube and Mangiapane. He is a bit thicker than those guys so that will help him at the next level. He doesn’t have that one skill that is going to set him apart, but it will his willingness to go to work and be responsible in all 3 zones that will make him effective as a pro.

To me he is a middle 6 winger at the NHL level, who can play on the PP. 

He is a good prospect and I would be willing to burn this year, if it means getting him signed now. Though I have a hard time seeing Sutter putting him in the lineup unless we are eliminated from the playoffs.

I could also see him starting next season in the AHL.

And to clarify I don't really have a problem if the Flames did sign him for this season and burnt the year. I don't think it's ideal but it's far from the end of the world if that is what it took. 

They also don't need to have him in the lineup in order to burn the year. Signing the contract will do that, games aren't needed. 

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And to clarify I don't really have a problem if the Flames did sign him for this season and burnt the year. I don't think it's ideal but it's far from the end of the world if that is what it took. 

They also don't need to have him in the lineup in order to burn the year. Signing the contract will do that, games aren't needed. 

I think that burning a year is an incentive, but I don't see the value in him playing a single game this year.

He won't be in NHL game shape in time to make any real difference.

We are still playing vets that don't need to be in the lineup but that's a coaching decision.

We really need to figure out what the identity of the team is before we start bringing in another guy.

Do we even have the right coach for next year.

Too many long term decisions made at camp.

Shouldn't define the entire season.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Not a bad plan. He plays a pretty responsible D game as well. It'll be an extreme learning curve, hopefully fans will understand that if this happens.

I hope he plays to the NCAA Championship.

I don't like the idea of his being exposed to this team right now.

Then again, better than trying to prove himself in a couple of pre-season games with everyone but vets.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I hope he plays to the NCAA Championship.

I don't like the idea of his being exposed to this team right now.

Then again, better than trying to prove himself in a couple of pre-season games with everyone but vets.

I'd be shocked if they do. Even Ohio State is no pushover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd be shocked if they do. Even Ohio State is no pushover.

Not that i follow NCAA super close but i've seen a bit of Harvard and honestly I don't' think they are that good. I'd be really surprised if they go far in the tournament. 

Concern level should be pretty low I think. I think the Flames are going to give him whatever he wants to get him signed because they can't take the PR hit. For him not to sign would just be illogical at this point and I can't fathom who would convince him other wise. He'd be saying no to a few hundred grand in a signing bonus, no to a salary for the next 2 years, agreeing to delay UFA for 2 years all so he can play 2 more years of college hockey in the hopes he becomes a UFA and goes where he wants?

His only other card is to try and force a trade of his rights and i'm not sure he's got the prestige to pull that off. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Concern level should be pretty low I think. I think the Flames are going to give him whatever he wants to get him signed because they can't take the PR hit. For him not to sign would just be illogical at this point and I can't fathom who would convince him other wise. He'd be saying no to a few hundred grand in a signing bonus, no to a salary for the next 2 years, agreeing to delay UFA for 2 years all so he can play 2 more years of college hockey in the hopes he becomes a UFA and goes where he wants?

His only other card is to try and force a trade of his rights and i'm not sure he's got the prestige to pull that off. 

I never had any concern.  I think he just wants to know how he would be used.  Maybe he has some concern there, but doesn't really matter, he has to be good to play in the NHL.  I don't see him wanting to return to college for the sake of a degree.  Not that far away from one.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I never had any concern.  I think he just wants to know how he would be used.  Maybe he has some concern there, but doesn't really matter, he has to be good to play in the NHL.  I don't see him wanting to return to college for the sake of a degree.  Not that far away from one.  

What could possibly go wrong between the GM and the Coach on different wavelengths?

14 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

If I am correct Harvard got killed today by Ohio 8-1, Corronato's story should be going to light soon. 

Yeah I kept it fairly low-key that they had little chance against a Big 10 team. Didn't expect a serious BTC-slap, but I'd have been surprised if they beat Ohio State, a team that is vet-laden and has been thorny most of the season.

Work got in the way of watching, but Michigan Tech's in a good tilt with Penn State rn.