UFA 2021

robrob74

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The business side is important to the owner.

The GM made a stupid pick based on an assessment of the player, nothing about the team, other players, families, etc.

He was not getting drafted by anyone else.

The owner would have told the GM to fly a kite if he asked first.

The whole thing is weird.   Put aside who was right and wrong, like you said the kid asked not to be drafted.    

So from a business perspective, they had to pass on players like Danil Chayka, Chibrikov, Josh Doan, to draft him.

Seriously?

I've mentioned nepotism before and I'll mention it again.  Nothing good comes of it.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

More importantly, why take him in the 1st round? Clearly he'd have been available later.

I heard someone on the Fan say that teams were going to take him in the 2nd round so it just looks bad on Montreal (AND RIGHTFULLY SO!) but another team was going to do it.

I think the NHL needs to do more to ban players that have these kinds of problems that come with them. He wanted out of the draft, if it’s a court case, ban him until it clears up. 

not at all giving the Canadiens a pass. I don’t think anyone should have touched this guy. 

we need tougher standards for this kind of behaviour. 

With respect to a backup for Markstrom, should the Flames look at Anders Nilsson or Linus Ullmark for the 2 - 3 mil range? Both are big Swedes who played on poor teams and still put up ok numbers.

Buffalo has no goalies signed. Are they pushing hard on Grubauer and keeping Ullmark as their second choice? Who else is really available for Buffalo?

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we need tougher standards for this kind of behaviour. 

What he did was wrong, but, let's be honest, the NHL has paedophiles and rapists and wife beaters in its ranks.   I really really really really hope nobody replies disagreeing with that, there should be absolutely no need.

Starting with this guy is, well, nothing more than a publicity stunt.    It was confirmed to me that the whole thing was a politicized hot air balloon when Justin Trudeau decided to go on the news and play ConnorFutureGM.

If the NHL wants to get serious on this stuff they can offer this kid some education and improve him while he's young.      Then in terms of actually being hard-handed maybe they should have a look at the absolute shiit-storm that is Chicago right now where men are sexually and violently forcing themselves on other men and ruining people and careers.   Before they ruin lives over a consentual sex tape.

just sayin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

With respect to a backup for Markstrom, should the Flames look at Anders Nilsson or Linus Ullmark for the 2 - 3 mil range? Both are big Swedes who played on poor teams and still put up ok numbers.

Buffalo has no goalies signed. Are they pushing hard on Grubauer and keeping Ullmark as their second choice? Who else is really available for Buffalo?

I like that call bosn. I've always liked Nilsson and Ullmark has been respectable on a woeful team.

Wow, Grubauer to the Kracken hurts Colorado. They now don’t have a starting G.

Buffalo has no NHL level G, nor does Boston.

Where does Rask sign? Back with Boston or will Colorado grab him? Will Lundquist be signed? Does Dubnyk get signed?

Do the Rangers trade one of Georgie or Shesterkin?

The goalie situation is intriguing.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with you, I am just thinking 3-4 years down the road when players like him tend to break down. We will love it for 2-3 years. So that’s great!

I am sure I will love the player and if Travel is right, maybe he becomes a 45+ point player with the Flames. He’ll definitely have better opportunities here.

Could be but i'm not as concerned.

I think what has to be understood about Coleman, and why he is different than other FA targets the Flames have signed, is how well rounded he is. This is not a player who can only score goals (Brouwer, Neal) and he isn't a player like Lucic, who even in his prime was not fleet of foot. Coleman has speed and is a very good skater, impacts the game in all 3 zones, can play special teams (more pk than PP) and still is a good shooter. I think this is a player that even if his offense starts to dry up in 3-4 years you will still likely like because of how intelligent he is, he can still impact the other parts of the game at a very high level even if he is not scoring. 

In terms of his scoring he is a very consistent 5 on 5 player. Whether or not he can be a 45+ point guy likely would come down to PP time and utilization but his scoring rates at 5 on 5 and very similar to Backlund and over the last 3 seasons his goal scoring rate at 5on 5 would put him 70th in the league. 

I get the counter argument that you are betting against father time and father time is mostly undefeated. However, at the AAV they gave him I feel it's a really reasonable bet for the Flames even at the term they gave him because of how solid a player Coleman is. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Could be but i'm not as concerned.

I think what has to be understood about Coleman, and why he is different than other FA targets the Flames have signed, is how well rounded he is. This is not a player who can only score goals (Brouwer, Neal) and he isn't a player like Lucic, who even in his prime was not fleet of foot. Coleman has speed and is a very good skater, impacts the game in all 3 zones, can play special teams (more pk than PP) and still is a good shooter. I think this is a player that even if his offense starts to dry up in 3-4 years you will still likely like because of how intelligent he is, he can still impact the other parts of the game at a very high level even if he is not scoring. 

I get the counter argument that you are betting against father time and father time is mostly undefeated. However, at the AAV they gave him I feel it's a really reasonable bet for the Flames even at the term they gave him because of how solid a player Coleman is. 

I think that many teams would have easily paid what we got for him.  The term may not have been where teams were willing to go.

This has less risk than the Hyman deal.  I'm sure that suits EDM, since they want to win now.

That said, they did say they would take incremental steps.

Instead they went full on win now.

Bear for Ceci.

Barrie for Larsson.

Keith for Klefbom and Jones. 

Should BT contact Seattle to get Vitek Vanecek as a back up to Markstrom. I would say yes maybe a middle of the road prospect and draft pick. That would give us a good 1A and 1B as well as a chance to keep him if it works out and if not maybe deal his RFA rights next year.

1 hour ago, zima said:

What about the Zadorov signing ok or not? I know nothing about him other than he is big and mean hard hitting

And that’s all that’s needed, especially on Cgy’s back end we badly need to be harder to play against…this will help keep the crease clear…

I’m pretty ok with Coleman, even after this term he’s what 36? That should not be too bad, it will only be a year or two of questions between performance and salary plus they may trade him after a few years after Sutter leaves and acquire an asset or two…it’s not Brewer or Neil one dimensional types so this should be a good UFA sign…

wht worries me now is he’s been far too quiet since the trade and signing…especially with the imbalance in the LW side and there is still a hole on the RSD and backup G…I’m worried that we may loose Gaudreau…or worse Tachuck…for a broken Eichel or something like that…

id be ok with moving Gaudreau for a good return, not that junk rumour to Phi though, or Tarensenko (god please not the broken players)