UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Flames will sign Markstrom on Friday. I think they really like him and may give him even more than what Lehner got.

I'm not a huge Barrie fan, but there were rumours of Barrie for Brodie around the TDL, so the team must like him. Analytically, he's better than most options that could be available. I wouldn't be going any longer than 3 seasons with Barrie though. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Flames will sign Markstrom on Friday. I think they really like him and may give him even more than what Lehner got.

I'm not a huge Barrie fan, but there were rumours of Barrie for Brodie around the TDL, so the team must like him. Analytically, he's better than most options that could be available. I wouldn't be going any longer than 3 seasons with Barrie though. 

the Avs traded him away, I dont think he overly impressed anyone in Toronto, for approx the same $ I'd rather re-sign Brodie.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

the Avs traded him away, I dont think he overly impressed anyone in Toronto, for approx the same $ I'd rather re-sign Brodie.

This. 

what’s that saying again? Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t?

4 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I feel that Markstrom will be too expensive.

I'm all for Plan B, Holtby.

I'd be happy with either one. Depends on $ and term.

Wouldn't seem it, but Holtby at 31 is only 4 months older than Markstrom but Holtby has way more miles on his odometer. WAS has rode him hard for the last 7 years.

Holby has played 565 NHL gms to Markstoms 286 gms. That is an equivalent to 5-6 extra seasons as a #1 in the big league.

Holtby is durable and a proven winner. Markstrom has proven nothing thru injury riddled seasons, but flashes of greatness here and there.

How many more years can Holtby perform like he has in the past? Is there anything left there?

Markstrom would have more miles remaining on his odometer, but how many? 

The more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of locking into either one long term.

We have talented goalies up and coming, I think in 3-4 years time we would regret the remaining term on either goalie.

Maybe Cam on a 3 year deal is the way to go, and groom our own goalies for their prime years.

Both Holtby and Markstrom are past their prime years.

I can see the VGK’s trading Stastny and retaining uo to 2M. The same may happen with Fleury.  That would open some up. Then they’d probably have to trade away one more piece? 

I don’t know how much needs to be retained in a Fleury deal for someone to take it on. 

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I'd be happy with either one. Depends on $ and term.

Wouldn't seem it, but Holtby at 31 is only 4 months older than Markstrom but Holtby has way more miles on his odometer. WAS has rode him hard for the last 7 years.

Holby has played 565 NHL gms to Markstoms 286 gms. That is an equivalent to 5-6 extra seasons as a #1 in the big league.

Holtby is durable and a proven winner. Markstrom has proven nothing thru injury riddled seasons, but flashes of greatness here and there.

How many more years can Holtby perform like he has in the past? Is there anything left there?

Markstrom would have more miles remaining on his odometer, but how many? 

The more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of locking into either one long term.

We have talented goalies up and coming, I think in 3-4 years time we would regret the remaining term on either goalie.

Maybe Cam on a 3 year deal is the way to go, and groom our own goalies for their prime years.

Both Holtby and Markstrom are past their prime years.

This I agree with. It was not the goaltending that let us down in the playoffs. Cam at 3 for 3 years and use the money  to bring in talent to fix areas that has needs. BT saying he is looking for a goalie is just posturing to keep Tabot reasonable.  BT's interest is also forcing Van to pay Markstrom (pawn to e4)

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

This I agree with. It was not the goaltending that let us down in the playoffs. Cam at 3 for 3 years and use the money  to bring in talent to fix areas that has needs. BT saying he is looking for a goalie is just posturing to keep Tabot reasonable.  BT's interest is also forcing Van to pay Markstrom (pawn to e4)

this I agree with.. Cam and big save Dave are fine for where we are as a team.. use the money where we have stronger more urgent needs

10 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I'd be tempted to offer a short term deal to Turris.  He could be a decent option on the wing for the third line.

ha maybe a low $ short term deal for the 4th line, he’s more of a spare vet if anything, personally I’d rather give a younger player an opportunity, either one of ours or by trade or FA 

20 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

this I agree with.. Cam and big save Dave are fine for where we are as a team.. use the money where we have stronger more urgent needs

Agreed, which I think by the sounds of thing this is BT’s fall back plan...but I think he’s just looking for upgrade options before he commits to this 

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I'm great with this as plan B..  If you can land Markstrom, great. This should be plan A.

But Holtby or any of the other names I don't feel are a major upgrade to Talbot

For the first time in not as confident we can land Hall, just because of the possibility of a one year big money deal with Colorado.

37 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm great with this as plan B..  If you can land Markstrom, great. This should be plan A.

But Holtby or any of the other names I don't feel are a major upgrade to Talbot

For the first time in not as confident we can land Hall, just because of the possibility of a one year big money deal with Colorado.

Personally, the more I've thought about Robrob's suggestion to send Ryan to CBJ for Korpi, the more I like that as Plan A. Ryan is versatile enough to play up and down a lineup, and with only 1 season left on his contract, CBJ doesn't have to commit unless they want to. Heck, I'd even retain $1mil on Ryan's contract to avoid sending an asset along with him for Korpi. Plan B, Talbot. I'm not interested in Holtby. While I like Markstrom, if he's coming in at $5mil+ per year and wants term too... not sure I like that. 

Also agree with you about Hall. If he's looking for a short-term deal, Colorado would seem like the target. Though, if BT plans on keeping Mony and Johnny in the fold until their contracts expire, Hall may like the idea of playing with them. I still hold out hope for an Eichel trade of course. I think Hall would sign here in a flash to play with him. 

31 minutes ago, Carty said:

I like the idea of either Markstrom or Holtby as long as the contract is reasonable and not an overpay...   But no matter who we end up seeing in the net, the play in the D-zone still needs to get tightened up...

I'd go 4 yrs Markstrom, 3yrs Holtby, and 1 maybe 2yrs Talbot, In that order.

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Personally, the more I've thought about Robrob's suggestion to send Ryan to CBJ for Korpi, the more I like that as Plan A. Ryan is versatile enough to play up and down a lineup, and with only 1 season left on his contract, CBJ doesn't have to commit unless they want to. Heck, I'd even retain $1mil on Ryan's contract to avoid sending an asset along with him for Korpi. Plan B, Talbot. I'm not interested in Holtby. While I like Markstrom, if he's coming in at $5mil+ per year and wants term too... not sure I like that. 

Also agree with you about Hall. If he's looking for a short-term deal, Colorado would seem like the target. Though, if BT plans on keeping Mony and Johnny in the fold until their contracts expire, Hall may like the idea of playing with them. I still hold out hope for an Eichel trade of course. I think Hall would sign here in a flash to play with him. 

Do you think CBJ goes for that deal tho?

I'm not opposed to it ..but if you can lock up a legit #1 for 4-5 years.. I think you gotta do it.

Markstrom is that..  I admit i worry about goalies coming out of a smothering D team.. look how Bob got exposed this year.

Markstrom played behind a tire fire ..and was phenomenal

Otherwise ..I'm totally ok with the tandem of Rittich and Talbot again... I do believe that is plan B

I am curious tho..  BT always seems to land one of the big fish..(.good or bad in hindsight)

Neal, Brower etc..  always seems to come home with a top available name 

Which one do we think he lands ?  Markstrom, Hall, Pietrangelo ?

Assuming he gets at least one , which is historically a safe bet ...

If I had to bet on just one I'd say Markstrom..  my gut still says we get Hall..  but for voting sake I'll say Markstrom

Coming back with Talbot/Rittich is not the end of the world no, but at the same time that tandem is not taking you to a cup let alone winning one. If they are left having to go that route I think they would really need to take a hard look at the rest of their off season plan and probably build more for the next season or two versus this one. 

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think they said Duclair wasn’t qualified 

do we go after him?

I'd be very wary. Why wasn't he qualified? He put up over 20 goals and 40 points last season while earning a very reasonable 1.65 million on a team with tons of cap space.  A QO would have been cheap, under 2 million. Frankly I'm surprised OTT didn't qualify him then try to trade him if they wanted him gone that badly...

7 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I'd be very wary. Why wasn't he qualified? He put up over 20 goals and 40 points last season while earning a very reasonable 1.65 million on a team with tons of cap space.  A QO would have been cheap, under 2 million. Frankly I'm surprised OTT didn't qualify him then try to trade him if they wanted him gone that badly...

If you could tell what OTT is even doing, let me know.

They have 3 forwards, 5D and 2G signed.

3 of the 4F are up for arbitration.

They are likely going to be a cap dumpster.

Not a salary dumpster, just cap. 

Archived