2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

5 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I've said it before, but you poked a sore spot for me. I know that '03 was can't miss, and Dion was pretty good for a few years in Calgary... but how in the hell did they not pick Getzlaf? I mean, it's not like they didn't know he was there. It's not like he had, and continues to have ties to the city. It's not like Neon Dion was ranked higher. And it's not like they didn't need a center to play with that superstar right winger or anything. 

For all of the terrible things that everyone has to say about Craig Button, I'd betcha that if he had his job for just a few more months, he'd've drafted Getzlaf. 

Love. 

Yup! We needed centers back then! Conroy was great! BUUUUUT! I liked Phaneuf until he got too big-headed. I remember hearing that when they asked him to try train and improve his game that he felt he was good enough as is and refused to. How he got more from TO is beyond me? 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They are in the bottom 3rd in height and weight.

While it seems easy, finding a player who has some flash, size, skill and a motor you basically need a top 10 pick now. Getting those players outside of that range is possible but not probable. And as thebrewcrew mentions in many occasions if you draft players for those metrics and they bust the really bust (as in they are out of the league). 

Yup! I get the Hunter Smith and Austin Carrol references. It's hard to tell if their size is just the ability to manhandle younger players or skill. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

On another note...

Listening to the Fan960, Chris Johnston was talking about the possibility of compensatory picks and how they'll deal with conditions that can't be met. He said a possibility could be giving the Flames a 3rd rounder, but Edmonton doesn't need to give up theirs. They will just add a 3rd round pick in the draft and give it to the Flames. I wonder where they'd put it? Would it be right after the Edmonton pick, or at the end of the 3rd rounder?

That would be awesome. Flames would finally have a full compliment of picks for the 1st time since 2016.

The way I think it would work would be similar to the compensatory pick system in the NFL, it would be the last pick of the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

I've said it before, but you poked a sore spot for me. I know that '03 was can't miss, and Dion was pretty good for a few years in Calgary... but how in the hell did they not pick Getzlaf? I mean, it's not like they didn't know he was there. It's not like he had, and continues to have ties to the city. It's not like Neon Dion was ranked higher. And it's not like they didn't need a center to play with that superstar right winger or anything. 

For all of the terrible things that everyone has to say about Craig Button, I'd betcha that if he had his job for just a few more months, he'd've drafted Getzlaf. 

Love. 

It was a draft for the ages and what also helped was the cancelled season in 2005.  Some of these kids overripened in Juniors before coming to the NHL. 

I wonder if this and next season is cancelled, will this hurt the prospects because they lose a year of development.  Should we trade away all our picks this year for next year's picks? 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I am a big fan of Jarvis and I thikn the Flames will like him too. He checks a lot of boxes for what they look for in a player. i probably have him rated right around the middle of the 1st round so he may not be a slam dunk selection but close. For me he has one of the higher ceiling of a player i'm seeing outside the top 10. I get a lot of Dubricant vibes from Jarvis. He'll get knocked during the process because he doesn't fit the exact prototype of what most want in smaller players. He doesn't have the dynamic speed but he is always around it offensively and becausee of how much room there is now in today's game I think his game translate well. If he can get just a bit faster, which i think he can, he's got Nylander like upside. 

I loved Dube in his draft year and I think he was a steal for the Flames but I would rank Jarvis higher. Watching Dube's highlights I can see why he would be impressive but again for a smaller frame player he had that speed you look for. Jarvis doesn't, but for me Jarvis is the better finisher and is much more advanced in terms of a Hockey IQ than Dube was. That's not putting down Dube, that's me praising Jarvis. 

Debrincat is faster and can score from the outside though.  Has a great shot.  The Jarvis highlight package didn't show any snipe abilities.  He's scoring from in close or he's not scoring.  With his size, he may struggle to get inside consistently at the NHL level.

He seems like a great passer and average finisher.

But that said, this year's class is all around 6'-0".  No real big bodies in the first round.  All skill.  Where's that 6'-4" bruising winger/power forward?

Some D that could be available in the mid 1st round

Braden Schneider- I posted about him earlier in this thread. He's a big RHS

Helge Grans- another big RHS, tough to find footage on him. He was ranked 21st among Europeans at the mid term and is 6th at the final. Clearly a meteoric rise. He could go higher than most expect kinda like Seider last year.

Kaiden Guhle- big LHS. I think he's better than his brother, who's in the Anaheim system

Justin Barron- another big RHS. His stock has dropped quite a bit this season. Could probably trade down and still get him.

Topi Niemela- 6'0" RHS. Plays a steady game

Then theres the two defenders out of the Q, Cormier and Poirier. Cormier is a smarter player but is sub 6". Poirier is bigger but has lower hockey IQ IMO. I wouldn't really take either with a mid first as both of them are suspect defensively, but really good offensively

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yup! I get the Hunter Smith and Austin Carrol references. It's hard to tell if their size is just the ability to manhandle younger players or skill. 

With Smith it was known at his draft that his skating was poor.  The mindset then was that it can be fixed, because Chara was the worst skater ever when he came over, the reality is Chara was the exception.  But Hunter Smith is always a good example for what can happen if all you look at is the physical traits on his biography, big body - check, right handed shot - check.  But lets be honest the Kings had just won 2 of the last 3 cups, at the time there were fans on board with that pick.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Debrincat is faster and can score from the outside though.  Has a great shot.  The Jarvis highlight package didn't show any snipe abilities.  He's scoring from in close or he's not scoring.  With his size, he may struggle to get inside consistently at the NHL level.

He seems like a great passer and average finisher.

But that said, this year's class is all around 6'-0".  No real big bodies in the first round.  All skill.  Where's that 6'-4" bruising winger/power forward?

Top end speed yes but I don't think Debrincat scores goals based on his top end speed. The reference for me is that both of them, Jarvis and Debrincat, are excellent short area skaters with their agility and lateral ability. Jarvis may not be a burner but in tight he's an amazing skater and he knows where to go. They said Debrincat was going to struggle to get inside consistently due to his size but he does and that's where he scores. I see similarities in Jarvis even though I do agree there are differences there too. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Top end speed yes but I don't think Debrincat scores goals based on his top end speed. The reference for me is that both of them, Jarvis and Debrincat, are excellent short area skaters with their agility and lateral ability. Jarvis may not be a burner but in tight he's an amazing skater and he knows where to go. They said Debrincat was going to struggle to get inside consistently due to his size but he does and that's where he scores. I see similarities in Jarvis even though I do agree there are differences there too. 

I watched more of Seth Jarvis and I feel his ceiling is a Brendan Morrison type of player.  But that's the downside of just watching clips from YouTube.  You can't see the whole picture.

I would take your word on it if you say he's the best player in the 15-range.

He does seem to fit what the Flames have been drafting.  High IQ, ignoring size.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I watched more of Seth Jarvis and I feel his ceiling is a Brendan Morrison type of player.  But that's the downside of just watching clips from YouTube.  You can't see the whole picture.

I would take your word on it if you say he's the best player in the 15-range.

He does seem to fit what the Flames have been drafting.  High IQ, ignoring size.

And just to clarify I just really like Jarvis and am intrigued because I think he checks a lot of boxes for the Flames. I do find he has upside that is not common outside the lottery part of the draft but I would not pound the table saying the Flames have to take him. I have not done enough research to say that. 

So just someone I have my eye on and wonder if the Flames will too. Could be other directions they go with their pick for sure. 

Every year there is a player or two who fall down the draft boards and where we are sitting we might be in a good position to grab one of those players.

Two guys I could see falling are Dylan Holloway who I have mentioned before, the other is Anton Lundell. Lundell is a really good two way center who has shown the ability to produce in The Liiga putting up 28 points in 44 games this season, he backed that up a 62.8% Corsi as well.

The reason he might fall is because some scouts say he doesn't have that real dynamic quality. He makes up for that with elite smarts at both ends of the ice. He has a ceiling of being a top 6 center, but his floor is a 3rd line center.

It will probably be a long shot that he falls to us, but if he does he would be a great pick for us.

I could see him being compareable to Backlund. While I get that some people will say that we should be aiming higher than that in the 1st round, I would argue that if you can draft a player similar to Backlund at 16 you take that player and run every day of the week.

Some more good work from  Draft Dynasty. Quinn is a fascinating player for a few reasons. 

He didn't play with Ottawa's stud Marco Rossi except for PP. He played lower in the 67's lineup, and still scored 52 goals. You can look at that a couple ways. Glass half full, he can play anywhere in your lineup and be productive. Glass half empty, he benefitted by playing on a stacked team and because he played lower in the lineup he feasted on the soft matchups.

Next season Ottawa most likely won't have Rossi, Quinn would play a bigger role, it would be interesting to see how he does when he is the guy for the 67's

This is my really rough top 20, I haven't had a chance to go as in depth on this draft as I would like.

1.Lafreniere

2.Byfield

3.Stutzle

4.Drysdale

5.Raymond

6.Holtz

7.Rossi

8.Sanderson

9.Lundell

10.Perfetti

11.Askarov

12.Holloway

13.Jarvis

14.Quinn

15.Lapierre

16.Barron

17.Guhle

18.Schneider

19.Zary

20.Mysak

21.Mercer

22.Gunler

This draft is really top heavy. I think the talent outside the top 12 or so is pretty suspect.

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This is my really rough top 20, I haven't had a chance to go as in depth on this draft as I would like.

1.Lafreniere

2.Byfield

3.Stutzle

4.Drysdale

5.Raymond

6.Holtz

7.Rossi

8.Sanderson

9.Lundell

10.Perfetti

11.Askarov

12.Holloway

13.Jarvis

14.Quinn

15.Lapierre

16.Barron

17.Guhle

18.Schneider

19.Zary

20.Mysak

21.Mercer

22.Gunler

This draft is really top heavy. I think the talent outside the top 12 or so is pretty suspect.

I see it differently, in terms of just prospects that could produce at the NHL level this is one of the deeper drafts and one of the more open drafts i've seen in a while. I'm not seeing as many tiers to the first round so I think rankings can easily be all over the place but I think there are a high number of players that you would see as first round talents. What it does lack is the size that you want, but just in terms of talent and potential future production in the NHL I think the depth is very good. 

I think what we are seeing more and more is that the players under 6'0" aren't being as knocked by evaluators due to their size as they would have been even 5 years ago. I think that is reflected at the top of this draft with some of the smaller skilled players projected to be first rounders.

That being said there's still a lot of size to be acquired in this draft, just not likely in round one. Looking at central scoutings final rankings, from rounds 2-7 there's plenty of size for anyone concerned about that. 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I see it differently, in terms of just prospects that could produce at the NHL level this is one of the deeper drafts and one of the more open drafts i've seen in a while. I'm not seeing as many tiers to the first round so I think rankings can easily be all over the place but I think there are a high number of players that you would see as first round talents. What it does lack is the size that you want, but just in terms of talent and potential future production in the NHL I think the depth is very good. 

I guess where I am coming from is that there just isn't a lot of players who have that dynamic element to their game. I see a lot of players who produce, but use their hockey IQ and work ethic to produce, but lack the high end skill, skating ability or size.

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess where I am coming from is that there just isn't a lot of players who have that dynamic element to their game. I see a lot of players who produce, but use their hockey IQ and work ethic to produce, but lack the high end skill, skating ability or size.

Which is fair.

My counter to that would be how common is that outside of the top 10-12 in any draft year?

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Which is fair.

My counter to that would be how common is that outside of the top 10-12 in any draft year?

I would say there is usally more players who have a dynamic trait or two but have other glaring weaknesses. I don't see as many of those players this year.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, JTech780 said:

I would say there is usally more players who have a dynamic trait or two but have other glaring weaknesses. I don't see as many of those players this year.

I wonder.  If the draft doesn't have game breakers in most of the 1st round, might it be a good year to trade that pick for a pick in next year's draft?

Look to a bubble team, and maybe the drop considerably next year.

A non-lottery team this year that could be really bad next year.

Or a lottery team this year just looking to add a pick to potentially move up this year.

I guess it depends on how the scouts view the first round picks that could fall to us.

If they are meh about them, then why not see if a team is higher on them

Interesting little bit of trivia from Flames past drafts. Can anyone guess the last time the Flames picked a RHS in the 1st round?

2008. Greg Nemisz.

The only other exception was the pick of Rasmus Andersson is the 2nd round as the Flames didn’t have a 1st

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting little bit of trivia from Flames past drafts. Can anyone guess the last time the Flames picked a RHS in the 1st round?

2008. Greg Nemisz.

The only other exception was the pick of Rasmus Andersson is the 2nd round as the Flames didn’t have a 1st

See, now, you can't do that. You can't throw out a Who Dat?! and not book a room, or give anyone the opportunity to answer. 

Love. 

Archived