2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

2 minute penalty

4 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

See, now, you can't do that. You can't throw out a Who Dat?! and not book a room, or give anyone the opportunity to answer. 

Love. 

My bad fellas!

Redemption? Prior to Nemisz, who was the last RHS FWD the Flames picked in round 1?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching a little video on Hendrix Lapierre. Couldn't help but notice but Lapierre got flattened, he ran into a wall wearing #11 on Moncton... our "small" 1st round pick Pelletier...

Anyway, there's quite a bit to like with Lapierre. Solid 2 way play. Great skater. Great playmaker. But he comes with red flags

• the injury history is real, 3 concussions in 8 months is scary, really feel for the kid
  • in doing some reading on him, he is not a threat to shoot the puck, he's extremely pass-first and it reflects in past stat lines. 2 goals in 19 games this season will scare some teams

I wouldn't mind seeing the Flames pick him, but I can't see him being the pick, in fact I could see Lapierre falling a bit and going to a team with multiple 1st's to mitigate the risk.

My top 5 in terms of a Flames pick at the moment would be

• Jack Quinn
  • Seth Jarvis
  • Helge Grans
  • Noel Gunler
  • Connor Zary

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

My bad fellas!

Redemption? Prior to Nemisz, who was the last RHS FWD the Flames picked in round 1?

Chris Chucko.  Neat fact, that decade they drafted more RHS forwards (Nemisz, Chucko, Kobasew) than LHS (Nystrom, Backlund).  Even if you add in the 3 dmen its even 4 to 4.

21 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting little bit of trivia from Flames past drafts. Can anyone guess the last time the Flames picked a RHS in the 1st round?

2008. Greg Nemisz.

The only other exception was the pick of Rasmus Andersson is the 2nd round as the Flames didn’t have a 1st

19 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

See, now, you can't do that. You can't throw out a Who Dat?! and not book a room, or give anyone the opportunity to answer. 

Love. 

19 hours ago, jjgallow said:

2 minute penalty

That's a misconduct penalty. 

Interesting little bit of trivia from Flames past drafts. Can anyone guess the last time the Flames picked a RHS in the 1st round?

2008. Greg Nemisz.

The only other exception was the pick of Rasmus Andersson is the 2nd round as the Flames didn’t have a 1st

Love. 

2 minute penalty

2008. Greg Nemisz.

Love. 

2 minute penalty

2008. Greg Nemisz.

Love. 

2 minute penalty

That's a misconduct penalty - 

to my computer for not showing moving me to the next screen and submitting the post. You hit submit a bunch of times and it still looks like it's asking you to submit!

A game Misconduct! 

Watched a little more video on Kaiden Guhle and there's a lot to like. I think he's someone the Flames would definitely be high on.

-He's extremely mobile in all 4 directions. A really good skater

-He plays a physical game

-Offensively he's still a work in progress, but he's improved every year in junior

It's yet another LHD, but it would put the Flames in a good spot on the left side for years to come. Adding Guhle into the fold with  Valimaki and Hanifin are all big mobile guys.

I'm not sure Guhle is my top guy for the Flames in round 1, but I could certainly see him being the guy and I definitely would understand it 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Watched a little more video on Kaiden Guhle and there's a lot to like. I think he's someone the Flames would definitely be high on.

-He's extremely mobile in all 4 directions. A really good skater

-He plays a physical game

-Offensively he's still a work in progress, but he's improved every year in junior

It's yet another LHD, but it would put the Flames in a good spot on the left side for years to come. Adding Guhle into the fold with  Valimaki and Hanifin are all big mobile guys.

I'm not sure Guhle is my top guy for the Flames in round 1, but I could certainly see him being the guy and I definitely would understand it 

I guess this is a question for everyone. Does he have enough offence to give him the ability to play in the NHL? I mean, historically, players/defensemen who transition well from JR to the NHL are ones who've scored in JR or lower levels. Does he have enough IQ to be able to play? A different era, but Sarich was talking about how his offensive skills in JR didn't translate to the NHL and he became a stay-at-home. Of course a part of that is that his wheels have slower bearings in them and it's a completely different era. 

I remember the forums having the conversation that players needed to have a certain level of skill and offence to transition, even for 4th liners and stay at home D. I think we were discussing picks like Sieloff... 

I mean, did Giordano have those traits? I guess they can be developed. Giordano had a pretty slow rise in the NHL, but I am surprised he wasn't drafted looking at his JR numbers. 

45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess this is a question for everyone. Does he have enough offence to give him the ability to play in the NHL? I mean, historically, players/defensemen who transition well from JR to the NHL are ones who've scored in JR or lower levels. Does he have enough IQ to be able to play? A different era, but Sarich was talking about how his offensive skills in JR didn't translate to the NHL and he became a stay-at-home. Of course a part of that is that his wheels have slower bearings in them and it's a completely different era. 

I remember the forums having the conversation that players needed to have a certain level of skill and offence to transition, even for 4th liners and stay at home D. I think we were discussing picks like Sieloff... 

I mean, did Giordano have those traits? I guess they can be developed. Giordano had a pretty slow rise in the NHL, but I am surprised he wasn't drafted looking at his JR numbers. 

I think the biggest red flag with Guhle is his offensive upside for sure. Hypothetically, the Flames would be picking 16th, same spot they picked Valimaki at. Valimaki had 61 points in his draft year, Guhle had 40. 

A couple things regarding Guhle's offence

- The Raiders play an extremely structured game, almost like a Darryl coached team, they gave up the fewest shots on average in the entire CHL, maybe Guhle wasn't given as much of a green light as other draft eligible D

- The Raiders won the WHL title last year, inevitably they lost a lot of talent this year but his offensive output increased as well ad his role. That's a positive.

All things being equal, he wouldn't be the top guy on my list but he is definitely one I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames picked

This years late round steal for the Flames...

Xavier Simoneau of the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

The Flames have done an excellent job in the late rounds the last 5 years, placing an emphasis on guys with skill above all else.

Frankly, it's mind-boggling Simoneau wasn't picked last year. He's a lot like Mangiapane, he's small and not the best skater. But this guy is a dog on the puck. He plays with a ton of jam, he hits and fights, his compete is off the charts. His 3 seasons in the Q, he has put up 45, 57 and 89 points. This season he led his team in scoring by 29 points, while being 2nd on the team in PIMS. Talk about a guy with a functioning give-a-darn meter.

This is an excellent video that was made prior to last seasons draft

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/376443/xavier-simoneau

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames have done an excellent job in the late rounds the last 5 years, placing an emphasis on guys with skill above all else.

This is why I wish the Flames wouldn’t  trade our picks. They’re doing a decent job of drafting so place bets on that. Use the strength of drafting and trade guys  when you need to. 

BT is decent at making trades, so I think use the draft picks which is a position of strength and trade players only...

A possible 2nd round option.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=218086

At first look, you think he's a product of playing with Shane Wright, the fabulous player who was granted exceptional status. But in fact I think both players benefit from playing with one another... Chromiak only played 28 games in the OHL, Kingston made him the 2nd overall pick in the import draft but he started the year playing pro in Slovakia, when he didn't make the Slovak WJ team he decided to play with Kingston for the remainder of the year.

Shane Wright 39-27-66 in 58 games

Martin Chromiak 11-22-33 in 28 games

Their linemate Zayde Wisdom is also eligible he had 29-30-59 in 62 games, I think he's more of a product of Wright though seeing as he had 10pts in 60 games the year prior.

I would have a lot of interest in Chromiak in the 2nd round if he's available

Sounds like the draft isnt going to happen till after the playoffs now.

There is a lot of talk that the draft lottery will be the 7 teams that aren't part of the 24 team playoff plus the first 8 team eliminated from the 24 team playoff.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like the draft isnt going to happen till after the playoffs now.

There is a lot of talk that the draft lottery will be the 7 teams that aren't part of the 24 team playoff plus the first 8 team eliminated from the 24 team playoff.

Maybe find out about the draft lotto today in Bettman's presser, Lavoie tweeted this yesterday.

So, teams A-F... are those the teams that are eliminated in the play-in? Or, are those teams that are in the play-in, but would have been out if the playoffs had just started at the break? 

I mean, what I really want to know is, if the Flames lose to the Jets, is there a possibility of a lottery pick? I mean, provided that they win the lottery, and then after that, they win the second lottery because the league didn't like the results of the first lottery?

Love. 

11 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

So, teams A-F... are those the teams that are eliminated in the play-in? Or, are those teams that are in the play-in, but would have been out if the playoffs had just started at the break? 

I mean, what I really want to know is, if the Flames lose to the Jets, is there a possibility of a lottery pick? I mean, provided that they win the lottery, and then after that, they win the second lottery because the league didn't like the results of the first lottery?

Love. 

It's extremely convoluted and I still don't totally get it, but if they lose. They will slid into anywhere between A-F based off of points percentage, and I think if they are in the letter that won the initial lottery they are involved in the second lotto. It doesn't make sense.

Why don't they just wait until the play-in is over, you have 16 non playoff teams and do the normal lotto

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Why is a phase 2 even required?

If a team outside the bottom 7 gets picked for one of the top 3 spots then the 8 teams that get eliminated from the playoffs will be put into a lottery with equal odds for that pick.

Putting my love of the Flames aside, this should be the year that Seattle gets to pick in the Entry Draft. Their picks would be eligible to play another JR year so they'd be even more ripe to possible jump in in 2021-22 season. 

A Winnipeg series might be pretty even. They're a bit deeper up front and in net, so it's a tough call. 

I'd think the Jets take it really. But we could see the Flames come together as a team. On the other hand we've been waiting for that to happen for a few seasons now.

Archived