2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

I thought the flames had a nice draft. They nailed the first round, both in terms of prospect and getting the picks, and while I’m not a fan of their 2nd rounder I also get why they went there and why they liked him. Not the direction I would have gone but this also isn’t Keegan Kanzig either so not worth the reaction. There is enough there to see why they would be interested in him as a project. 

Next to Zary, Porier was my favorite pick as I love the gamble at that spot on a kid that had some very high end skill. Most of the Flames draft is filled with projects but at the same take all of them carry traits that if the flames hit on them they’ll be really happy and I agree with that approach. 

so I’m quite happy with the last 2 days. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the Poirier pick. Sure there's some risk, but that's the case with every pick other than Lafreniere. Heck, even Byfield has some questions around his game. Being an 02 birth year, you still have essentially 2 full seasons of junior for him to refine his game. This could be a very good pick and in the 3rd round if it doesn't pan out, it's not as huge a deal as if it was a 1st. 

The Boltmann pick is interesting. Seems like a good kid based on his 960 radio hit. Reminds me a little bit of the Koumontzis pick and to a lesser extent Nodler. 

The Francis and Kerins picks are interesting. They fit the Flames profile of late round picks in recent years, Phillips/Zavgorodny/Mang. Interested to see how they develop. Francis is an 01, he could play pro in 21/22 or overage in the Q.

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I liked the Poirier pick. Sure there's some risk, but that's the case with every pick other than Lafreniere. Heck, even Byfield has some questions around his game. Being an 02 birth year, you still have essentially 2 full seasons of junior for him to refine his game. This could be a very good pick and in the 3rd round if it doesn't pan out, it's not as huge a deal as if it was a 1st. 

The Boltmann pick is interesting. Seems like a good kid based on his 960 radio hit. Reminds me a little bit of the Koumontzis pick and to a lesser extent Nodler. 

The Francis and Kerins picks are interesting. They fit the Flames profile of late round picks in recent years, Phillips/Zavgorodny/Mang. Interested to see how they develop. Francis is an 01, he could play pro in 21/22 or overage in the Q.

Played together too.

After some thought I still feel the same about this years draft...   As for trading down, I like Zary, but they also left some players that have pretty good potential on the table, especially at the at the 19 spot...   As for the rest, I agree with some of the picks, and others not so much...      Time will tell, and none of us will be able to tell how it all works out until a ways down the road...

Either way, I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over it, because my name is not Treliving...

That said, I will welcome all of the new guys into the fold, and wish them all success...   After all...   A draft is one of those things a guy doesn't mind being wrong about...

41 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

One of the draft round up articles had them both listed as committed to U of Minnesota for the 21-22 season. Unless that was a mistake. I was going by the article which has changed from what it was.

I wasn't doubting your source, just pointing out that he has already played this year "over there".

1 hour ago, Carty said:

After some thought I still feel the same about this years draft...   As for trading down, I like Zary, but they also left some players that have pretty good potential on the table, especially at the at the 19 spot...   As for the rest, I agree with some of the picks, and others not so much...      Time will tell, and none of us will be able to tell how it all works out until a ways down the road...

Either way, I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over it, because my name is not Treliving...

That said, I will welcome all of the new guys into the fold, and wish them all success...   After all...   A draft is one of those things a guy doesn't mind being wrong about...

We drafted a couple guys well above their rankings.

As well as some well below (or not ranked).

I'm most interested in Zary, Poirier and the Russian playing at U Con.

Archived