2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

There are actually a lot of good RHS forwards that could be on the board in the 10-20 range. So it wouldn't be a reach if they end up with one, but other than that I completely agree it should BPA considering the pick is 2 or 3 years away from impacting the NHL roster, lots can change in that time

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Or a LHS C! I think they prioritize a LW/C, and lean towards C. 

I'm half serious and half sarcastic of course.  Reality is, RHS is rare and if not prioritized, then you get whatever falls in your lap because other teams are willing to reach for a RHS.  You only be left with LHS if we stay BPA.  If we don't reach a bit, then good luck to us. 

Rasmus Andersson was said to be lazy and didn't commit to NHL training.  We took a chance.  We should take more in the future.

17 minutes ago, Carty said:

I guess they don’t plan on finishing the season and playoffs?? How can they make trades of current players for picks? Say a guy raises his game, becomes valuable, that doesn’t happen. 

I dunno, I’d say if they plan on playing out the season, do it a day or two after the cup is won!

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess they don’t plan on finishing the season and playoffs?? How can they make trades of current players for picks? Say a guy raises his game, becomes valuable, that doesn’t happen. 

I dunno, I’d say if they plan on playing out the season, do it a day or two after the cup is won!

I won’t complain as it’s something to look forward to on the calendar !

I also think that the Flames would be getting that 3rd from Edmonton based on what Lebrun wrote on the athletic. He mentioned that the league is going to look at all trades offering conditional picks where the condition was unresolved and offer a solution to the teams, if the teams disagree then they have a week to re-work that conditions on the pick 

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The plan is to do the draft in June, and finish the season from July to September and start next season in December.

The league will put forth a plan for the conditional picks and the teams will have 7 days to negotiate a different deal if they can't come to terms they will have to accept the leagues proposal.

The draft order would be based off of points percentage. 

The lottery would only be for 1st overall and no team could jump up more than 4 spots.

I believe that if the draft is based on points percentage, that puts the Flames at pick 13, while still being a playoff team. That seems like a nice break...

EDIT: Or it's pick 16 if they knock the Flames down as they would be a playoff team. In a typical year that would be the case, but maybe not if they intend to do an expanded playoff. Heck there may not even be anymore games played so pick 13 would seem to make sense to me

Something I haven’t seen talked about is, whether teams can make player trades at the draft. I’m assuming not since it’s possible the season resumes. Probably why so many managers are ticked off, it’s a huge day on the NHL calendar in terms of shaping next seasons roster and they likely won’t be able to

On 5/1/2020 at 2:19 AM, The_People1 said:

LHS LW it is then.

Is there a glut of them that large in the middle of the first round?   I don't see it but who knows where the best list is this year.

I miss @Crzydrvr's  draft thread.

In other news, this would be a great year for the NHL to postpone the draft by one year.   They have the perfect reason.  Then just change the minimum age to 19.     Quite honestly I don't see anyone good enough for exemption from that in this class anyway.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What does it mean "virtual"?  Not real?

Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking that they might mean that they would do it "on line" without actually having everyone there in person...

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Is there a glut of them that large in the middle of the first round?   I don't see it but who knows where the best list is this year.

I miss @Crzydrvr's  draft thread.

In other news, this would be a great year for the NHL to postpone the draft by one year.   They have the perfect reason.  Then just change the minimum age to 19.     Quite honestly I don't see anyone good enough for exemption from that in this class anyway.

Age was set at 18 more because of labor laws in North America.  You cannot discriminate based on age once someone is 18... or something to that effect.  Thus why NBA stars are breaking the traditional 4 years of college to enter the draft early.  Legally, the NBA cannot do anything to stop these kids from declaring themselves draft eligible (aka ready for a job).

But definitely, ya.  18 is too young.  It also benefits Junior leagues to have 18 and 19 year old stars because they up the competition and create better pros.

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking that they might mean that they would do it "on line" without actually having everyone there in person...

I imagine like the draft lottery, just a camera on Bill Daly.  Teams call in to Bettman to make it official and someone from the NHL can announce it online.

First round we can have 5 minute break between drafts for teams to make trades and TV analysts to create discussion online.

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I imagine like the draft lottery, just a camera on Bill Daly.  Teams call in to Bettman to make it official and someone from the NHL can announce it online.

First round we can have 5 minute break between drafts for teams to make trades and TV analysts to create discussion online.

I would imagine you see the NHL copy the NFL draft, which went fairly well. 

Commissioner announces the picks from his home, send the top x number of prospects with a camera set up for reactions of when the get picked.

And honestly the NFL draft this year was arguably as good as any. They pulled it off well

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The plan is to do the draft in June, and finish the season from July to September and start next season in December.

The league will put forth a plan for the conditional picks and the teams will have 7 days to negotiate a different deal if they can't come to terms they will have to accept the leagues proposal.

The draft order would be based off of points percentage. 

The lottery would only be for 1st overall and no team could jump up more than 4 spots.

I just cant see how they could do it like that. If you make a trade to move up or down in the draft then if theres a player involved then where does he play come July?  What if that player has a substantial injury during the playoffs playing for his original team? (LTIR), And in all honesty how many people are going to watch if the other sport leagues start up as well?  I miss the game as much as anyone but after being limited to where I can go and who I can be around you can guarantee that sitting at home watching a watered down version of the playoffs (with no crowds either) would be very low on my list of stuff to do.

Also, if you were the owner or GM of either Ottawa or say Detroit would you want to call everyone back to a neutral site (away from their families for approx 3 - 5 weeks), hope they're in game condition, maybe practice for a week or two, play a few weeks of regular season, risk injuring a player, just so you can send everyone home again a month later?  Not me.

I understand the $$ involved but I dont think the world will end if no one gets to skate around with the cup over their head.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would imagine you see the NHL copy the NFL draft, which went fairly well. 

Commissioner announces the picks from his home, send the top x number of prospects with a camera set up for reactions of when the get picked.

And honestly the NFL draft this year was arguably as good as any. They pulled it off well

I didn't see the NFL draft but if there's a precedence already then I agree, just follow that formula.

44 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I just cant see how they could do it like that. If you make a trade to move up or down in the draft then if theres a player involved then where does he play come July?  What if that player has a substantial injury during the playoffs playing for his original team? (LTIR), And in all honesty how many people are going to watch if the other sport leagues start up as well?  I miss the game as much as anyone but after being limited to where I can go and who I can be around you can guarantee that sitting at home watching a watered down version of the playoffs (with no crowds either) would be very low on my list of stuff to do.

Also, if you were the owner or GM of either Ottawa or say Detroit would you want to call everyone back to a neutral site (away from their families for approx 3 - 5 weeks), hope they're in game condition, maybe practice for a week or two, play a few weeks of regular season, risk injuring a player, just so you can send everyone home again a month later?  Not me.

I understand the $$ involved but I dont think the world will end if no one gets to skate around with the cup over their head.

Pretty sure it's obvious if a player is traded, then that player immediately plays for their new team.  No way the team gets to keep that players services until the end of the season.

Also, there's already a rule in place that if a player isn't signed by December, then they cannot join the team for the playoffs the same season.  So all new draft picks would fall under that category.  If you trade a player for a pick, then you lose the player immediately and cannot use the draft pick immediately.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty sure it's obvious if a player is traded, then that player immediately plays for their new team.  No way the team gets to keep that players services until the end of the season.

Also, there's already a rule in place that if a player isn't signed by December, then they cannot join the team for the playoffs the same season.  So all new draft picks would fall under that category.  If you trade a player for a pick, then you lose the player immediately and cannot use the draft pick immediately.

Ok so that may work but why the rush when doing it after the league either cuts short or actually finishes is so much easier? factor in there will be some trades/deals that will hinge on what the new cap will be but that still needs to be worked out.

17 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ok so that may work but why the rush when doing it after the league either cuts short or actually finishes is so much easier? factor in there will be some trades/deals that will hinge on what the new cap will be but that still needs to be worked out.

With it being quite on the sports front the league wants to take advantage and get themselves out there. It is a way for them generate revenue in a time when they aren't bringing in any money.

My guess is that since the trade dealine has passed in this season, that there won't be any trades for players currently playing in the NHL or AHL. Trades will only be for picks and prospects.

An interesting player in this draft is Braden Schneider of the Brandon Wheat Kings. 

He's one of the older players in the draft class, but he may also be one of the safest picks you can make outside of the top 10. 

From what I've seen, best case scenario he's Travis Hamonic. Hamonic was drafted after his 2nd season in the WHL, Schneider has 3 seasons under his belt. 

Hamonic's 2nd WHL season 5-17=22 101PIMS

Schneider 2nd WHL season 8-16=24 26PIMS

Hamonic 3rd WHL season- 13-27=40 126PIMS

Schneider 3rd WHL season- 7-35=42 42PIMS

Schneider projects as a steady stay at home defensemen of the Hamonic ilk. They have had very similar WHL careers, of course Hamonic had more pims as fighting was still frequent in junior 12 years ago. 

I don't think Schneider will be on the board when the Flames pick, as I think there's an argument to be made he could be the 2nd best D in the draft, and the fact he's a RHS, mobile D with good size will entice teams.

What I will ask is, if you were GM would you pick Schneider, who is a safe pick with lower upside, or do you swing for the fences and take a Dawson Mercer, or a Connor Zary?

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

An interesting player in this draft is Braden Schneider of the Brandon Wheat Kings. 

He's one of the older players in the draft class, but he may also be one of the safest picks you can make outside of the top 10. 

From what I've seen, best case scenario he's Travis Hamonic. Hamonic was drafted after his 2nd season in the WHL, Schneider has 3 seasons under his belt. 

Hamonic's 2nd WHL season 5-17=22 101PIMS

Schneider 2nd WHL season 8-16=24 26PIMS

Hamonic 3rd WHL season- 13-27=40 126PIMS

Schneider 3rd WHL season- 7-35=42 42PIMS

Schneider projects as a steady stay at home defensemen of the Hamonic ilk. They have had very similar WHL careers, of course Hamonic had more pims as fighting was still frequent in junior 12 years ago. 

I don't think Schneider will be on the board when the Flames pick, as I think there's an argument to be made he could be the 2nd best D in the draft, and the fact he's a RHS, mobile D with good size will entice teams.

What I will ask is, if you were GM would you pick Schneider, who is a safe pick with lower upside, or do you swing for the fences and take a Dawson Mercer, or a Connor Zary?

I am not a huge fan of Zary or Mercer, neither have that high of a ceiling. I think they end up more as bottom 6 players than top 6.

Archived