Dustin Wolf

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Impressive indentation.

The big drawback to having a guy like Wolf during a rebuild is that he would win.

Proven NHL goalies that are young have a massive return in trade.

Prospects without that go for far less.

What's the most massive goalie trade you have seen for a NHL backup looking really good?

or they lose so much and we don't think he's an nhl goalie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Impressive indentation.

The big drawback to having a guy like Wolf during a rebuild is that he would win.

Proven NHL goalies that are young have a massive return in trade.

Prospects without that go for far less.

What's the most massive goalie trade you have seen for a NHL backup looking really good?

Completely agree, there is a  very fine line between difference makers, and nhl-worthy.  Indents are amazing btw

So, one might think, let's keep wolf then, Obviously lol.   He'll help us win, keep it simple.

I'd be inclined to agree.

There are two supporting reasons to trade him (at some stage) though:

1.   There was a time Ortio was worth this much.  Would we have regretted a trade?  No.  Why?

My answer to this is the same now as it was then.
              If we had a development system and coaches, we Would have regretted a trade.

But we didn't.

And at the NHL level, we still don't.  Obvious solution is to fix this.  In liew of that, a trade.

2.    The winning.  Yes the winning could be an issue if we rebuild, and he makes us a perienial maybe team.
            He's not good enough to make us a cup winner.  No goalie is.

But he could make us average.  And that's a problem lol.

If he did though, yeah his value would be through the roof.

I guess, at the end of the day:

There was a time Ortio was worth this much

The was also a time Giguere was worth this much

15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

1.   There was a time Ortio was worth this much.  Would we have regretted a trade?  No.  Why?

My answer to this is the same now as it was then.
              If we had a development system and coaches, we Would have regretted a trade.

But we didn't.

And at the NHL level, we still don't.  Obvious solution is to fix this.  In liew of that, a trade.

2.    The winning.  Yes the winning could be an issue if we rebuild, and he makes us a perienial maybe team.
            He's not good enough to make us a cup winner.  No goalie is.

But he could make us average.  And that's a problem lol.

If he did though, yeah his value would be through the roof.

I guess, at the end of the day:

There was a time Ortio was worth this much

The was also a time Giguere was worth this much

I never felt that way about Ortio.

At 22, he managed to have one good year in the AHL

The following year back to average.

I don't see any time where he was worth anything in a trade.

Maybe to a team wanting to risk a decent pick for a possible future NHL goalie.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I never felt that way about Ortio.

At 22, he managed to have one good year in the AHL

The following year back to average.

I don't see any time where he was worth anything in a trade.

Maybe to a team wanting to risk a decent pick for a possible future NHL goalie.

No need to go back in the threads, but whatever you felt, MOST on here saw him as the next Kipper for about 3 years from 2013-2015.  not just me.   The thing about me is I didn't give up on him after he started to head the other way.

He was for sure worth at very least a 1st rounder.  Remember when Kari Ramo went down, they called him up and he had the 36 save shutout?     He was untouchable at that point.

What makes some goalies then become Stanley Cup winners and others drift into obscurity, is a big big question.

I will continue to support the Ortios and the Francises and other players that I will eventually regret supporting lol.   It does no harm and some of them do turn out.   

Takeaway?  Wolf's not there yet.   But duly noted that you feel differently about him.   I feel "the same" as I did with Ortio right now.  But, that's hardly a slight to Wolf. If you remember how I was with Ortio.   lol.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

No need to go back in the threads, but whatever you felt, MOST on here saw him as the next Kipper for about 3 years from 2013-2015.  not just me.   The thing about me is I didn't give up on him after he started to head the other way.

He was for sure worth at very least a 1st rounder.  Remember when Kari Ramo went down, they called him up and he had the 36 save shutout?     He was untouchable at that point.

What makes some goalies then become Stanley Cup winners and others drift into obscurity, is a big big question.

I will continue to support the Ortios and the Francises and other players that I will eventually regret supporting lol.   It does no harm and some of them do turn out.   

Takeaway?  Wolf's not there yet.   But duly noted that you feel differently about him.   I feel "the same" as I did with Ortio right now.  But, that's hardly a slight to Wolf. If you remember how I was with Ortio.   lol.

I don't really care at this point.  I doubt many felt the way you did and certainly not after his meh results.

It's not like his career was on an upward trajectory.

His stats were trending downward in the HAL and same in the NHL with his limited starts.

Worth a first?  Maybe before he played a NHL game.

I think he may have been a failure of the coaching staff.

Took the raw skills and turned him into crap.

Maybe the strike year interrupted his development.

He was better after two years there, but doesn't really prove much.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he may have been a failure of the coaching staff.

Yeah I don't care anymore either lol.  Not worth arguing and if I wanted to argue about short memories I would be reminding everyone how much they used to love Sutter lol. 

This part about the coaching though...I care about.  As relevant now as it was then 

31 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah I don't care anymore either lol.  Not worth arguing and if I wanted to argue about short memories I would be reminding everyone how much they used to love Sutter lol. 

This part about the coaching though...I care about.  As relevant now as it was then 

I think we loved the team more than we loved Sutter.

Gaudreau turning people inside out.

Tk-douche-chuk angering everyone he played against.

Money-hands before they broke him.

If you look at Sutter's first season, he ended the career of Bennett.

2nd season, he turned Jarnkrok into a nothing.

Outcoached by the Oilers rookie coach in the playoffs.

Whether Labarbera had a negative impact on our goalies or Sigalet's plan did it.

Or that they were never as goos as the defense that played in front.

Hard to tell, since we lost two of the guys from their best years.

Markstrom's glove was useless against the Oilers, but looked awesome against the Stars.

I just hope they evaluate the entire coaching staff.

We had more than one that seemed to be a flop.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think we loved the team more than we loved Sutter.

Gaudreau turning people inside out.

Tk-douche-chuk angering everyone he played against.

Money-hands before they broke him.

If you look at Sutter's first season, he ended the career of Bennett.

2nd season, he turned Jarnkrok into a nothing.

Outcoached by the Oilers rookie coach in the playoffs.

Whether Labarbera had a negative impact on our goalies or Sigalet's plan did it.

Or that they were never as goos as the defense that played in front.

Hard to tell, since we lost two of the guys from their best years.

Markstrom's glove was useless against the Oilers, but looked awesome against the Stars.

I just hope they evaluate the entire coaching staff.

We had more than one that seemed to be a flop.

completely agree

• 1 month later...

Okay.

I know I'm not the only one thinking it.  I'm gonna say it though.

Wolf was human in the playoffs.

Wolf was maybe, in my mind, our one outside-chance of not going through a very painful rebuild.  If he somehow pulled off some kind of miracle in the NHL.  It was never likely, now I'm basically ruling that out.  He'll need more time, and nothing wrong with that.

I do think Wolf was overplayed this year.  That's maybe one of the best arguements for why he should have been called up.  Gets to sit some games.

I know what Mitch Love was thinking...play Wolf lots, win championship.  I get it.

Bottom line:

We're still short goalie prospects.   It's a steep dropoff after Wolf.  I think it affected his ability to show us his high gear in the playoffs.    I'd like to see the Flames bring on one, if not two excellent prospects in that age group.

21 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Okay.

I know I'm not the only one thinking it.  I'm gonna say it though.

Wolf was human in the playoffs.

Wolf was maybe, in my mind, our one outside-chance of not going through a very painful rebuild.  If he somehow pulled off some kind of miracle in the NHL.  It was never likely, now I'm basically ruling that out.  He'll need more time, and nothing wrong with that.

I do think Wolf was overplayed this year.  That's maybe one of the best arguements for why he should have been called up.  Gets to sit some games.

I know what Mitch Love was thinking...play Wolf lots, win championship.  I get it.

Bottom line:

We're still short goalie prospects.   It's a steep dropoff after Wolf.  I think it affected his ability to show us his high gear in the playoffs.    I'd like to see the Flames bring on one, if not two excellent prospects in that age group.

The format of the AHL playoffs is really stupid.

Home ice means you get a choice of first 2 or last 3?

They played some of the playoff games B2B.

• 4 months later...