Dustin Wolf

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stop embarrassing yourself.lol I thought Ryan Francis was our best prospect?

You guys honestly need to get off your horses and look at reality. Pelletier has been a top prospect since he was young and drafted into the CHL when ALL 16yos are eligible. He was an easy ppg every year in the Q. Then he played for every Canada National Team since U17.

Now he's 3rd in the AHL scoring race (1st and 2nd are 26 & 27yos) and 1st amongst rookies, 1pt ahead of 8thoa Jack Quinn. Not bad for someone that's considered a complete 200' player...

He's the literal definition of a top prospect, yet here we are.

BTW, I was being sarcastic to JJ, since he's all over the map.

One day, Wolf is too small to ever be a top goalie in the NHL.

Another day, Francis is the top prospect because he's younger (ie different draft yea).

The next Wolf is because he's doing something remarkable in the AHL.

Pelletier is all of a sudden too small to score in the AHL.

Players similar size are ahead of him even though they are same size basically.

I really don't care if a goalie gets a special nod because he plays the most critical spot.

Wolfie is great, whether he is 5'11" or 6'.

Pelts is playing like a champ, scoring when we need goals.

Gaudreau stirs the drink in CGY.

Coronato is a frosh, and doing well in adjusting to the game.

Francis is doing well after a slow start to being back in junior, but it is junior.

Zary is getting better.

Any of these players could have NHL careers, but the closest one has to be Pelts.

He lost his centerman and is still cooking.

He has a winning attitude and pedigree.

Might take a bit to adjust to NHL, but could easily be another Mange or Johnny.

Or take time like Dube.  

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ceilings are not very well defined at this point, as the scouting is less than adequate.

Poor little Francis and Pelletier don't even rank in your list.

Pelts doesn't get much love in these parts because he's a LHS LW.

But, I will say that our top prospects right now are Pelletier and Wolf.

Pelts because he is bringing i in every game this season.

Wolf because he is playing exceptionally well in the 13 games he's played.

Unlike the Flames, the Heat are able to score a ton of goals per game, so a 1-0 SO loss is exceptional.

But winning 5-4 is not as impressive. 

Wolf has #1 starter potential

Coronato 1st line RW

Poirier #1 Dman two-way guy

Zary #2 Center

Kuznetsov top pair D

Francis has top 6 ceiling

Pelletier is middle line ceiling... 2nd/3rd line ceiling.

No way Francis and Pelletier project as 1st liners.  In no way shape or form does this mean they are failures or suck or anything.  Strictly talking NHL potential.  We need stud players in the middle of the order and these kids can certainly bring that and have a solid 10-year NHL career.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Wolf has #1 starter potential

Coronato 1st line RW

Poirier #1 Dman two-way guy

Zary #2 Center

Kuznetsov top pair D

Francis has top 6 ceiling

Pelletier is middle line ceiling... 2nd/3rd line ceiling.

No way Francis and Pelletier project as 1st liners.  In no way shape or form does this mean they are failures or suck or anything.  Strictly talking NHL potential.  We need stud players in the middle of the order and these kids can certainly bring that and have a solid 10-year NHL career.

Other than Wolfie, those sound like draft projected ceilings.

But then again, we are just talking ceilings.

It really doesn't matter.

Poirier's biggest problem is defense, so he may be more of a Tyson Barrie.

Some of the scouting reports had Pelts as top 6 potential.

Cosentino said he drove the play and made those around him better.

My opinion is colored by his ability to raise his game at every level.

Change to a new team in the Q - no problem.

Play in WJC - no problem.

Play in the AHL - no problem, leading all rookies.

Would he do well with Backlund?  Perhaps, but I think he could turn Monahan back into a 30 goal guy.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

BTW, I was being sarcastic to JJ, since he's all over the map.

One day, Wolf is too small to ever be a top goalie in the NHL.

Another day, Francis is the top prospect because he's younger (ie different draft yea).

The next Wolf is because he's doing something remarkable in the AHL.

Pelletier is all of a sudden too small to score in the AHL.

Players similar size are ahead of him even though they are same size basically.

I really don't care if a goalie gets a special nod because he plays the most critical spot.

Wolfie is great, whether he is 5'11" or 6'.

Pelts is playing like a champ, scoring when we need goals.

Gaudreau stirs the drink in CGY.

Coronato is a frosh, and doing well in adjusting to the game.

Francis is doing well after a slow start to being back in junior, but it is junior.

Zary is getting better.

Any of these players could have NHL careers, but the closest one has to be Pelts.

He lost his centerman and is still cooking.

He has a winning attitude and pedigree.

Might take a bit to adjust to NHL, but could easily be another Mange or Johnny.

Or take time like Dube.  

All of the above is still true,

Wolf is too small, Francis could be our top prospect, Pelletier is too small.

We have a very shallow, very undersized prospect pool.   Talented?  Yes.

With this in mind, all of the above is still valid and it is Waaaay to early to say otherwise on Francis.   Wolf showed me this year that he might be special so for me he becomes top prospect, but if we had a 6'4 goalie with similar skills or a top Dman with similar skills, he simply wouldn't be.

It's easy to be all over the map given what we have to work with right now.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

All of the above is still true,

Wolf is too small, Francis could be our top prospect, Pelletier is too small.

We have a very shallow, very undersized prospect pool.   Talented?  Yes.

With this in mind, all of the above is still valid and it is Waaaay to early to say otherwise on Francis.   Wolf showed me this year that he might be special so for me he becomes top prospect, but if we had a 6'4 goalie with similar skills or a top Dman with similar skills, he simply wouldn't be.

It's easy to be all over the map given what we have to work with right now.

How dare Point, Marchessault, Marchand, Lucas, Schwartz et.al. be around Pelletier's size.

Francis looking like a tweener. Already a full year behind where he should be. Taken 11 rds after Pelletier and 4 after Zary. Yet somehow he'll be a prospect that matters. Maybe we'll even give him an ELC if he's worth it...yet the argument is that he's one of our best prospects. Smaller than Pelletier, 3 yrs in the CHL to be ppg. hmmm. 6 goals, 20pts in 16 games as a 20yr old. Could be our best prospect.lol

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

How dare Point, Marchessault, Marchand, Lucas, Schwartz et.al. be around Pelletier's size.

Francis looking like a tweener. Already a full year behind where he should be. Taken 11 rds after Pelletier and 4 after Zary. Yet somehow he'll be a prospect that matters. Maybe we'll even give him an ELC if he's worth it...yet the argument is that he's one of our best prospects. Smaller than Pelletier, 3 yrs in the CHL to be ppg. hmmm. 6 goals, 20pts in 16 games as a 20yr old. Could be our best prospect.lol

Wednesday Hump Day GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• 3 weeks later...

^^^^^

Are you still in the boat that Wolfie will be hard pressed to make the NHL or have you gotten past his size yet.

I'm happy that we drafted him and that his game just keeps getting better.  The AHL isn't as much of a test this year due to teams needing to call up everyone with any kind of potential, but I'm not taking anything away from him.  He may get a NHL game in this season, but I hope it doesn't change his approach.

I figure the way things are trending we will see Pelletier sooner, which is a good thing.  Easier for a forward to be able to be insulated.  And a player like Pelts can show his top 6 potential. A goalie on the other hand could have a great showing and just have been lucky for the team to be playing really well in front of him.  Would give him a boost, but a bad follow up game could bring him down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:19 AM, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Are you still in the boat that Wolfie will be hard pressed to make the NHL or have you gotten past his size yet.

I'm happy that we drafted him and that his game just keeps getting better.  The AHL isn't as much of a test this year due to teams needing to call up everyone with any kind of potential, but I'm not taking anything away from him.  He may get a NHL game in this season, but I hope it doesn't change his approach.

I figure the way things are trending we will see Pelletier sooner, which is a good thing.  Easier for a forward to be able to be insulated.  And a player like Pelts can show his top 6 potential. A goalie on the other hand could have a great showing and just have been lucky for the team to be playing really well in front of him.  Would give him a boost, but a bad follow up game could bring him down.

Of course he is going to have a tough go.   6'5 goalies have a tough time navigating Flames development.   He's  got his hands full.   You remember the start of the season they signed 183 goalies just as a sign of their confidence in him.  No idea where they all are now.

At his size he will be, at very least, scrutinized until he wins a cup.   And foe good reason when all the tall goalies can cheat with equipment. 

That doesn't change.    

But what does change, is he showed a major step up in his game this year after worrying me a little bit last year.    And that step up is enough for me to consider him our top prospect,  despite the size.

If he were 6'5 he'd possibly be the best drafted NHL prospect period.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Dude might be getting over-played.   Hard to tell but would be nice if Flames  had 2 legit prospects happening here, or Wolf was giving a shot in the NHL with some rest days.

Based on what I have seen. Wolf could and should replace Vldar next season. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well it sounds like we are keeping Hiller or Smith and ditching Big Save Dave.

I confused again lol.

Seems there is no first rounder goalie for me to rant about this draft .  I will find something else to rant about 

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I confused again lol.

Seems there is no first rounder goalie for me to rant about this draft .  I will find something else to rant about 

Tmac said we should trade Vladar and start Markstrom with Wolf backup?

That's more like Hiller or Smith than keeping Vladar/Wolf.

• 1 month later...

Wolf named MVP of the AHL this season.

Pretty great honor.

Recapping Dustin Wolf’s stats en route to AHL MVP honours in 2022-23 ...

- 42 wins, tied for most by any AHL goalie since the 1960s

- 2.09 GAA, best in league

- .932 save percentage, best in league

- Seven shutouts, best in league

- 1-0 with #Flames

I'll say this all off-season. No reason he should not be playing in the NHL next year and getting a good amount of games. 

Steingberg floated an idea on the fan the other day. He thought they should leverage the Wranglers being here and shuttle Wolf up and down between AHL - NHL. Because the AHL schedule is so wonky you could have Wolf play probably 15 or so NHL games and still have him playing in the AHL too. 

I hate the idea personally but it is a potential option. I just don't see the hesitation of giving him 20-30 games next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'll say this all off-season. No reason he should not be playing in the NHL next year and getting a good amount of games. 

Steingberg floated an idea on the fan the other day. He thought they should leverage the Wranglers being here and shuttle Wolf up and down between AHL - NHL. Because the AHL schedule is so wonky you could have Wolf play probably 15 or so NHL games and still have him playing in the AHL too. 

I hate the idea personally but it is a potential option. I just don't see the hesitation of giving him 20-30 games next year. 

Yeah, I have heard that one mentioned.  Apart from jerking him around, he gets paid NHL money for the time he is on the Flames roster.  Yeah kid, we may play you 20, but at most you will see 25% of your NHL salary.

If I was worried about him not being able to play at the NHL, I would start hi for two games at the start of the season to see how he did.  He looked good in a nothing game that we probably win with Markstrom or Vladar.  Or maybe we don't.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Wolf named MVP of the AHL this season.

Pretty great honor.

Recapping Dustin Wolf’s stats en route to AHL MVP honours in 2022-23 ...

- 42 wins, tied for most by any AHL goalie since the 1960s

- 2.09 GAA, best in league

- .932 save percentage, best in league

- Seven shutouts, best in league

- 1-0 with #Flames

I always had my hesitations with wolf and they were mostly due to his size, but his trajectory is fantastic.   

Baby steps, let's see him succeed in these playoffs. fantastic experience for him.   

After that, we should either come up with a plan to give him NHL time, or we should trade him to a team that can do it.  Just being practical.   And yes, I'd prefer we give him the minutes.

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I always had my hesitations with wolf and they were mostly due to his size, but his trajectory is fantastic.   

Baby steps, let's see him succeed in these playoffs. fantastic experience for him.   

After that, we should either come up with a plan to give him NHL time, or we should trade him to a team that can do it.  Just being practical.   And yes, I'd prefer we give him the minutes.

I don't think NAS ever considered trading Saros.

Why should we?

The goalies we have are not Vezna level even if Markstrom had one fantastic season.

Still failed in the playoffs.

Here's the thing about the AHL playoffs and Wolf.

Last year he had zero shiutouts during the season.

He managed 3 shutouts in 13 playoff games, with a .924 SA%.

The finals were the hardest for him, where he lost 4 of the 5 total losses he suffered.

BTW, did you notice he looks like a young Ortio?

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think NAS ever considered trading Saros.

Why should we?

The goalies we have are not Vezna level even if Markstrom had one fantastic season.

Still failed in the playoffs.

Here's the thing about the AHL playoffs and Wolf.

Last year he had zero shiutouts during the season.

He managed 3 shutouts in 13 playoff games, with a .924 SA%.

The finals were the hardest for him, where he lost 4 of the 5 total losses he suffered.

BTW, did you notice he looks like a young Ortio?

Lol that is kind of you.  Yes, I did notice that and choose not to go there.  But yes, Ortio at his peak as a prospect, very similar to Wolf now.    We all have our theories on what happened next, and what will happen next this time.

People were unsure about Saros for a long time.   Just look at who they drafted after.    They aren't unsure now lol.

Funny thing about goalies "developing later" , I think a lot of it has to do with perceived trust of them.   And team chemistry around them perhaps.      Why trade Wolf?   That's a tough one, he's almost untouchable.  But your answer:

1.  Everything has a price.

2.   Some of us believe we are going into a very deep rebuild.   So deep, that even Wolf is the wrong age for it.
             And, also, he could potentially (not likely but potentially) save us at a time when we should not be saved.

So...

Me alluding to him having a huge playoff success and then getting traded, is not ideal even for me.
                          But refering back to point #1, the return would/should be pretty massive.

Assuming that...assuming you get a very impressive haul of picks, for instance..

Then that fits in nicely with the "7-year-rebuild" plan.  

Wolf is...young enough for this plan, sort of... but if he is too good too early, he could drag it out.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Lol that is kind of you.  Yes, I did notice that and choose not to go there.  But yes, Ortio at his peak as a prospect, very similar to Wolf now.    We all have our theories on what happened next, and what will happen next this time.

People were unsure about Saros for a long time.   Just look at who they drafted after.    They aren't unsure now lol.

Funny thing about goalies "developing later" , I think a lot of it has to do with perceived trust of them.   And team chemistry around them perhaps.      Why trade Wolf?   That's a tough one, he's almost untouchable.  But your answer:

1.  Everything has a price.

2.   Some of us believe we are going into a very deep rebuild.   So deep, that even Wolf is the wrong age for it.
             And, also, he could potentially (not likely but potentially) save us at a time when we should not be saved.

So...

Me alluding to him having a huge playoff success and then getting traded, is not ideal even for me.
                          But refering back to point #1, the return would/should be pretty massive.

Assuming that...assuming you get a very impressive haul of picks, for instance..

Then that fits in nicely with the "7-year-rebuild" plan.  

Wolf is...young enough for this plan, sort of... but if he is too good too early, he could drag it out.

Impressive indentation.

The big drawback to having a guy like Wolf during a rebuild is that he would win.

Proven NHL goalies that are young have a massive return in trade.

Prospects without that go for far less.

What's the most massive goalie trade you have seen for a NHL backup looking really good?