Dustin Wolf

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Dustin Wolf really does look good so far.   I would like to see him take thing up one level although I realize it's hard to do that when he's already the best in his league.

Classic case of a player looking great at a young age.

Too young to play in the AHL next season.

Too bad there wasn't another option for him.

Maybe play in the Swiss league?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Classic case of a player looking great at a young age.

Too young to play in the AHL next season.

Too bad there wasn't another option for him.

Maybe play in the Swiss league?

Yeah they need to review those rules.     His situation is a bit different too because of his size.    I generally feel that smaller goalies are not given a fair chance due to a recent perception about them.    He'd a US citizen....not sure if that opens up any possibilities

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah they need to review those rules.     His situation is a bit different too because of his size.    I generally feel that smaller goalies are not given a fair chance due to a recent perception about them.    He'd a US citizen....not sure if that opens up any possibilities

I think he's different from those drafted from a US development league (like Seiloff).

He was drafted while playing for a WHL team.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he's different from those drafted from a US development league (like Seiloff).

He was drafted while playing for a WHL team.

ok.   well that sucks.   I'm cool with him being the WHL this year, he still has a Lot to prove in the playoffs and i still think there's room to step it up a bit.

But assuming he does prove what we want him to in the playoffs....

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

ok.   well that sucks.   I'm cool with him being the WHL this year, he still has a Lot to prove in the playoffs and i still think there's room to step it up a bit.

But assuming he does prove what we want him to in the playoffs....

He could join the Heat (I think) on an ATO once the season is done.

I don't know that would be good, other than him getting the chance to work with our goalie coach.  Yikes.

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He could join the Heat (I think) on an ATO once the season is done.

I don't know that would be good, other than him getting the chance to work with our goalie coach.  Yikes.

Well that's the other issue yes.   Maybe it'll be resolved next year though, can always hope

I really like this kid and I sincerely believe that the size will not be much of an issue.

With the smaller equipment on goalies these days it's more about athleticism and vision than just being a big shot-blocker.

Juuse Saros is a good young goalie and I think he's only 5'11"

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 6:13 PM, Sarasti said:

I really like this kid and I sincerely believe that the size will not be much of an issue.

With the smaller equipment on goalies these days it's more about athleticism and vision than just being a big shot-blocker.

Juuse Saros is a good young goalie and I think he's only 5'11"

I do too.  A few adjustments to the rules and smaller goalies could be back in the game.  You never know when it'll happen.    But if it does, he's be premiere.

And if it doesn't he's still got a real chance.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I do too.  A few adjustments to the rules and smaller goalies could be back in the game.  You never know when it'll happen.    But if it does, he's be premiere.

And if it doesn't he's still got a real chance.

MAF is only 2 inches taller and maybe 20 pounds heavier, and that is as a 30 year old.

Saros is 5'11".

With talent, I don't think there is anything stopping a "smaller" goalie from playing well.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, travel_dude said:

MAF is only 2 inches taller and maybe 20 pounds heavier, and that is as a 30 year old.

Saros is 5'11".

With talent, I don't think there is anything stopping a "smaller" goalie from playing well.

Completely agree.   

I'll add to that, if the rules were made to be just a Bit more fair, Saros would probably be one of the top 3-5 goalies in the NHL.  as an example.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The 2019-20 #CHL Goaltender of the Year Award presented by goes to Dustin Wolf! Congrats to the prospect who led all netminders with a 1.88 GAA, .935 SV%, nine shutouts, and tied for lead with 34 wins. MORE: https://bit.ly/379y2ds #CHLAwards

Trophy

1:02 PM · Jun 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

What a calendar year it's been for Dustin Wolf, holy moly. If there's hardware for a junior goalie he won it this year. 

Once again, what a steal. For two consecutive seasons, he has been hands down the best goalie in the WHL... I fully acknowledge how solid Everett plays defensively, but he isn't putting these numbers up as an overage. For a goalie to put up those kind of numbers as a 17 and 18 year old is unfathomable. He's gonna make a lot of scouts league wide have to answer some tough questions...

Without a doubt he has emerged as one of the best goaltending prospects in the world. I'd say Sorokin is tops, but he's much older and has more pro experience, second could be Askarov once he's drafted, but third could easily be Wolf. Not bad for the 214th pick...

What's even crazier, is Carter Hart had a ton of fan-fare when he turned pro. He had a very good WHL career. His last season was unreal, .947 and 1.60, but that was in his 4th WHL season. Through 3 years Wolf has been the superior Jr goalie to Hart, which again is crazy.

I'm not saying Wolf will be in the NHL after only 18 AHL games, but I think he has a real shot at being something special. This is a very exciting prospect

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What a calendar year it's been for Dustin Wolf, holy moly. If there's hardware for a junior goalie he won it this year. 

Once again, what a steal. For two consecutive seasons, he has been hands down the best goalie in the WHL... I fully acknowledge how solid Everett plays defensively, but he isn't putting these numbers up as an overage. For a goalie to put up those kind of numbers as a 17 and 18 year old is unfathomable. He's gonna make a lot of scouts league wide have to answer some tough questions...

Without a doubt he has emerged as one of the best goaltending prospects in the world. I'd say Sorokin is tops, but he's much older and has more pro experience, second could be Askarov once he's drafted, but third could easily be Wolf. Not bad for the 214th pick...

What's even crazier, is Carter Hart had a ton of fan-fare when he turned pro. He had a very good WHL career. His last season was unreal, .947 and 1.60, but that was in his 4th WHL season. Through 3 years Wolf has been the superior Jr goalie to Hart, which again is crazy.

I'm not saying Wolf will be in the NHL after only 18 AHL games, but I think he has a real shot at being something special. This is a very exciting prospect

It's great to see.  Hopefully he doesn't drop off the way Gilles and Ortio have in the past (and maybe Parsons as well).  I don't see it though.  With a bit of luck, we'll see Wolf as our starter in 3-4 seasons, and for a long time.