Dustin Wolf

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Ummmmmm did you not see Cross”s post with the stats since the first two games, the first two games in probably over a year? 

I guess a .999 save percentage would be more ideal? Tough crowd! .981 is pretty low. 

by the way, the other team had already played 4 games or something like that prior to the heat and Wolf getting a start in those 6 goals on 12 shots in his first pro games... 

oh don't take me the wrong way, I'm a fan!     But yes when I post about stuff over two game spans I always get roasted lol.  

My position is I think Wolfe is one of our best prospects if not best prospect right now.  But with how goalies go, we should definitely have another.    He's got an uphill battle not being a giant like some modern goalies and hasn't been as dominant outside of the WHL  (world juniors, AHL), but he's young and that's ok.

I didn't mean to write him off or anything like that, far from it.  He could legit become our starter if things go well.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

oh don't take me the wrong way, I'm a fan!     But yes when I post about stuff over two game spans I always get roasted lol.  

My position is I think Wolfe is one of our best prospects if not best prospect right now.  But with how goalies go, we should definitely have another.    He's got an uphill battle not being a giant like some modern goalies and hasn't been as dominant outside of the WHL  (world juniors, AHL), but he's young and that's ok.

I didn't mean to write him off or anything like that, far from it.  He could legit become our starter if things go well.

but it looks like he was dominant in the AHL after his first game getting the rust out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

but it looks like he was dominant in the AHL after his first game getting the rust out.

He was. I watched both those games and he was stellar, especially in his 2nd game. Stockton should have lost that game and Wolf made 3 or 4 incredible saves. 

Still a ways to go and a small sample size for sure but his last 2 games were stellar and worth noting his first game was the first game he'd played in close to a calendar year. Hard to find fault with how he started his AHL career for me. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

He was. I watched both those games and he was stellar, especially in his 2nd game. Stockton should have lost that game and Wolf made 3 or 4 incredible saves. 

Still a ways to go and a small sample size for sure but his last 2 games were stellar and worth noting his first game was the first game he'd played in close to a calendar year. Hard to find fault with how he started his AHL career for me. 

not only that the team only had preseason skates and no league games compared to the other team who had already played a few. They’ve got strides and the Heat were starting from a standstill.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not only that the team only had preseason skates and no league games compared to the other team who had already played a few. They’ve got strides and the Heat were starting from a standstill.

No point in arguing goalies with JJ.

He's basically saying Wolf is going to be hard pressed to make the NHL because he's only 6' tall.

Which is funny because Saros is 5'11". 

Who know, maybe his WJC record in 3 games played is not good enough:

1 win in 2020 - 3.0 GA

1 win and 1 relief in 2021 - 0.0 GA

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Oh I did in fact miss that.  Wow, that is...phenomenal.   I still... as a rule, have to exercise the same caution (it was two games), but still very encouraging :)

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/whl/stats/2020-2021

Two best goalies in the WHL right now are Wolf and Cossa.

The obivious big difference of course is Cossa's a whole lot younger and a whole lot bigger.

I would LOVE it if both of them are Flames prospects after the draft.

Wolf is in his 4th year in the WHL, as a player that just turned 20.

As a player 16 years old, turning 17, he put up .928 with 4 shutouts.

The argument about goalie size is debatable at the junior level.

Gillies was a standout in college.

Never translated to pro that well; development questionable perhaps.

If you want to use a late extra 2nd, perhaps it's an efficient use of a pick.

Ranked 7th out of available goalies by Dobber.

Not that he's an expert, but looking at two number (size and SA%) doesn't give me a lot to go on.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Wolf is in his 4th year in the WHL, as a player that just turned 20.

As a player 16 years old, turning 17, he put up .928 with 4 shutouts.

The argument about goalie size is debatable at the junior level.

Gillies was a standout in college.

Never translated to pro that well; development questionable perhaps.

If you want to use a late extra 2nd, perhaps it's an efficient use of a pick.

Ranked 7th out of available goalies by Dobber.

Not that he's an expert, but looking at two number (size and SA%) doesn't give me a lot to go on.

If that is true about Dobber,  they are Waaay out to lunch,  he'll go in first round.

But I would check your sources because even there they have him ranked #2 along with everyone else.

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/11/04/dp-scouting-teams-2021-nhl-draft-rankings-nov-2020/

Yes and using what we do with goalie development to make comparisons is...well...you already know lol.

Both top goalies I  2021 worth investigating. 

Wolf seems to be plateauing. 

Hope I'm wrong.  Very early days and definitely  not counting him out.

52 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

If that is true about Dobber,  they are Waaay out to lunch,  he'll go in first round.

But I would check your sources because even there they have him ranked #2 along with everyone else.

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/11/04/dp-scouting-teams-2021-nhl-draft-rankings-nov-2020/

Yes and using what we do with goalie development to make comparisons is...well...you already know lol.

Both top goalies I  2021 worth investigating. 

Wolf seems to be plateauing. 

Hope I'm wrong.  Very early days and definitely  not counting him out.

I used your first source, brought up the player and linked to the current rankings.

Here is the link that was listed for his ranking (and the other goalies):

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/dobberprospects

You are using one from 2020.

Wolf is plateauing from the crazy amount of shutouts.

So is Cossa, with 5 goals against his last game.

Oh, I jest.

Not that I think Dobber is accurate, but there are so many F's and D's ranked higher in most rankings.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I used your first source, brought up the player and linked to the current rankings.

Here is the link that was listed for his ranking (and the other goalies):

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/dobberprospects

You are using one from 2020.

Wolf is plateauing from the crazy amount of shutouts.

So is Cossa, with 5 goals against his last game.

Oh, I jest.

Not that I think Dobber is accurate, but there are so many F's and D's ranked higher in most rankings.

Got you twice in one day lol.    That's ok you've gotten me a few times too.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/dobberprospects?position=g

That's alphabetical order.     Dobber has no rank for him, in that free version.  of course we have to pay for everything now.

Anyway.  Back to Wolf.   Excited to see more shutout from him before end of season and maybe break a record or two.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sharp in the opener so far tonight. Damn this kid can goalie.

Looking a lot like this is the season Wolf could make the leap and emerge as our top prospect.  Period.   Even though that is impossible, him not being on LW.

He'll still have more to prove at his size, even with the very incredible first pro season many of us expect him to have.   But well worth the risk.

Maybe the only other player I can see competing for that top spot would be Coronato.

This first game is pretty uplifting for Wolf fans.    Not so uplifting for the rest of our prospects.    Looking like a pretty wide gap between Wolf and everyone else right now.     I'm also still not exactly sure what the Flames plan to do with the other 30 AHL goalies they acquired over the offseason.

• 1 month later...

Wolfie emerging as a steady AHL performer.

5th in SA% with .931, back of 1st place of .944

9th in GAA at 2.22

6-0-2 to start the season.

Tied for 3rd in wins.

Werner no slouch either

3rd in GAA with 1.96

13th in SA% at .922

4-0-0 to start.

He's only ever been average in the AHL, but this is a good start for him.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Wolfie emerging as a steady AHL performer.

5th in SA% with .931, back of 1st place of .944

9th in GAA at 2.22

6-0-2 to start the season.

Tied for 3rd in wins.

Werner no slouch either

3rd in GAA with 1.96

13th in SA% at .922

4-0-0 to start.

He's only ever been average in the AHL, but this is a good start for him.

It's fantastic to see at his age.   I'm excited.

With his size, it will be hard to knock off the "long shot" status but he gets a little closer with every save.    Take away all the ridiculous goalie pad rules and Wolf would be the NHL's top goalie prospect right now.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

So...almost 10 games in....is it fair to call Wolf our top Flames prospect right now?

Now idea how they haven't gotten 10 games into him yet but that's another convo

The schedule has a lot of B2B sets, so they have to split the workload, as they should.

Top prospect?  Think that may be Pelletier.

The guy is getting winning goal or tying goals in key moments.

12th in points in the AHL

4th among rookies

2nd among active rookies in p/gp.

If I remember correctly, he has 4 game winning goals.

As well as a couple game tying goals. 

Toss up for me right now.

Goalie is the most important position.

A good goalie has a good bunch of D and F in front of him.