2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

19 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I’d be exceptionally miffed if we lost (via trade or whatever) a young and talented player like Mange. 

I think they’re signed. I can’t see how Mangiapane has any leverage. I think it has to do with signing Tkachuk and having to trade someone. If we are way over the cap, BT has less negotiation power in any possible deals. I think teams are just waiting for someone to balk. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/feel-good-story-is-over-for-flames-rookie-dillon-dube/amp

I don’t see why Dube can’t be a continued feel good story even if he needs one more year in the “A”. I see he is the one who said it, but I feel her earned a longer look on the roster last year, but it was obvious once the real games started he was more AHL material. He looked good in stints, but size-wise, he was easily knocked off the puck. He showed great signs. I can see his upside. 

If he gets dent down then that’s not the end of the world. I want him to be ready 100% and developed. He has it, and will be an NHLer.

Still interesting to me people panic over these situations. Mangiapange will get signed and he'll be a Flames this year no doubt. They aren't going to trade him just because they are a little apart in negotiations, this is just how the game is played now. 

What is forgotten about with Kulak is Valimaki. There was motivation to move Kulak and it wasn't motivated by contract/negotiations. 

I don't think Grenier or Rinaldo have a good shot at making the Flames, I thikn those 2 are more than likely being brought in for competition for 2 way deals as the Flames are likely looking for a physical presence in Stockton. Neither are guys that you want playing much at the NHL level. 

I think DVP and Reider will have shots to make the team. I think DVP has a good shot as I've said elsewhere I would have actually given him a contract as I think he checks a ot of boxes. I'm not really interested in Reider personally but at the same time if they are going to flirt with the idea of Lindholm at center your then looking at potentially having to move both Bennett and Mangipane to the RW which means you thin out at LW. Reider makes sense there if Dube isn't quite ready so i do get the move even though I think the cases he makes it are small. 

Flames, and speciically BT, have liked Reider for a while too so nothing wrong with getting a free look at him. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

if they are going to flirt with the idea of Lindholm at center your then looking at potentially having to move both Bennett and Mangipane to the RW which means you thin out at LW. Reider makes sense there if Dube isn't quite ready so i do get the move even though I think the cases he makes it are small. 

Are we trying Lindholm at Center?

On 9/3/2019 at 6:09 PM, travel_dude said:

It would be nice to give some undrafted guys an invite to main camp, but only to see if it's worthwhile investing a contract in them.

Younger guys would need to be really impressive to get a NHL deal.

Older guys could start with an AHL deal and see what happens.

Drafting can be hit or miss, and sometimes you need to throw a few more darts.

Assuming a slide, it only burns a contract spot until the CHL season starts.

And the cost of a signing bonus.

Now that I got that out of the way, no more Grossmanns littering the ice.

Make smart choices for PTO's and cut the player numbers down sooner than later.

AHL guys do not need to stick around if there is no chance of taking a NHL spot.

Keep the one guy you think would be 1st callup if he doesn;t make the main squad.

For D and F.

Don;t waste time with Pelltier this year; no need to play him 9 games.

Give him enough to work on for next camp.

That seems pretty presumptive, albeit most likely.  How do we know he won’t blow the doors down and earn a spot?

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Peters keeps mentioning it here and there. Nothing firm but he keeps bringing up the idea. 

I wouldn't mind Peters trying it in pre-season.  We need to give Bennett and maybe Jankowski a few looks at RW to see if that's where they settle into this season.  If we sign Mangiapane in time then i'd like to see him get some RW time too.  And well, why not see Tkachuk on RW as well.  We need someone to move over so, deploy Lindholm at Center to give our LW's a good look at RW.

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wouldn't mind Peters trying it in pre-season.  We need to give Bennett and maybe Jankowski a few looks at RW to see if that's where they settle into this season.  If we sign Mangiapane in time then i'd like to see him get some RW time too.  And well, why not see Tkachuk on RW as well.  We need someone to move over so, deploy Lindholm at Center to give our LW's a good look at RW.

Sounds very reasonable, but with limited preseason games it will be hard.  

On 9/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, cccsberg said:

That seems pretty presumptive, albeit most likely.  How do we know he won’t blow the doors down and earn a spot?

We did that with Valimaki, who is not a small guy.

As it was, he was injured in the regular season.

With Gaudreau, he was a vet of playing against men in college.

With Pelltier, he is playing with draft age kids.

In the Q legue whhich is not exactly know as tough.

I don't question his skills, just the ability of a guy that young and that small to adapt.

I would compare his size to Yamamoto, who made the team, but has had injury issues ever since.

Do we need to take that risk?

Watching the Youtube game in Red Deer.  May comment here.  Too bad its the Oiler announcers.... 😞

3 nice saves by Zagidulin on the PK.  

Period 1:  choppy play, pretty sustained Flames forecheck keeping most of the play in the Oilers end.  Phillips getting in there and mixing it up.  Dube probably most noticeable player.  Also quite the change in goalie puck handling.  I keep expecting the long pass i.e. Smith but its back to the old ways, dumping off to the nearest D.  

Period 2: Scattered again.  Onyebuchi knocks down Sterrit with a quick punch.  Pospisil, Tuulola had a couple moments.  Hopefully after a few practices these guys can get some continuity and flow going.  Pospisil great hit and then fight, definitely knows how to handle himself.  

Not to read too much into things, but in this rookie game it really shows the organizational weakness at prospect D. Yelesin looks alright, but nothing in the top 6 tonight screams bright future. Haven't drafted a D since the Valimaki pick and it shows. I'd like to see the Flames add a D prospect or 2 via trade in a cap dump as opposed to picks. 

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not to read too much into things, but in this rookie game it really shows the organizational weakness at prospect D. Yelesin looks alright, but nothing in the top 6 tonight screams bright future. Haven't drafted a D since the Valimaki pick and it shows. I'd like to see the Flames add a D prospect or 2 via trade in a cap dump as opposed to picks. 

I mean when you have Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington all under 23 and in the NHL, I don't think I would say that defense is a weakness. 

They do need to start drafting the next wave though.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I mean when you have Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington all under 23 and in the NHL, I don't think I would say that defense is a weakness. 

They do need to start drafting the next wave though.

I agree. The NHL D is set for the next 2-3 years, would be nice to have a couple more in the system though

43 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What in this game is getting you down on the D?  The D I'm seeing has been pretty solid, only 1 2on1 against, moving the puck ok.  No one is looking outstanding but I'm taking that as Day 2 effects vs potential.  Nielsen, Hamilton, Onyebuchi have all been getting it done.  

Tuulola with left knee locked up late in 3rd period.   The goaltenders played pretty solid but lots of outside shots and scrambles around the net.

9 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

Anyone else hear the coilers broadcasters compare Bouchard to Pronger already, lol 🥴

Yeah, they love Bouchard and Mcleod, nothing but praise for those two.  Flames WIN in overtime, as Dube dishes to Phillips on a 2on1 and he buries it.  Yeah!  Zagadulin gets the shutout.

Sloppy game but good effort.

To my point the D was fine, but this was closer to a major junior game than an AHL game, I'm not sure what Stockton will look like defensively, with only Yelesin and Nielsen as "prospects".

Zagidulin looked really good, I think he could be a real surprise this season, could be another great European find much like Rittich was.

Dube by far the best player. I think he will stick with the big club for good this season

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yeah lol, do they remember Pronger? The man physically dominated opponents, that's not Bouchard's game haha

They've probably hit the sauce alot over the last 13 years... That will erase alot of memories.

As for the Flames prospects, I liked the looks of Zagidulin (I know he's a little more experienced), Dube, Pelletier, Philip, Nielsen and Pospisil. All noticable in a good way. Few others looked alright too.

Too bad about Tuulola. Hopefully it's nothing serious

Some thoughts after the 1st prospect game.

I though Zagidulin looked really good. Moves well in net. Reminds me a lot of the 1st time I saw Rittich.

Dube, Phillips and Gawdin all played well, but expected them to play well.

Tuulola was pretty invisible the whole game, I was expecting more.

I thought Pospisil looked really good. Really physical, agitating. His skating was better than I was expecting.

I get why Calgary wanted to get a look at Onyebuchi, he did a lot things well. He needs to improve his skating.

Yelesin started slow, but got better as the game. 

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Some thoughts after the 1st prospect game.

I though Zagidulin looked really good. Moves well in net. Reminds me a lot of the 1st time I saw Rittich.

Dube, Phillips and Gawdin all played well, but expected them to play well.

Tuulola was pretty invisible the whole game, I was expecting more.

I thought Pospisil looked really good. Really physical, agitating. His skating was better than I was expecting.

I get why Calgary wanted to get a look at Onyebuchi, he did a lot things well. He needs to improve his skating.

Yelesin started slow, but got better as the game. 

I thought Tuulola was not bad.  He got into the corners and net front well, and into the open for a couple shots too.  Not sure what happened to his knee, hopefully nothing serious.

20 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Francis *spit* reported the Flames and the Mangiapane camp are $200,000 apart. Flames valuation is $800,000 and Mangiapane's camp is running with a $1mil valuation.

I'd say the Mangia camp is currently over-valuing and the Flames are spot on.

You are likely right about Mangiapane's agent trying to get some more coin on the deal...

and here's the latest from Fan960's Boomer...

d3c3d5ecf20653ad3ca7dc84eb6167ba.png

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Francis *spit* reported the Flames and the Mangiapane camp are $200,000 apart. Flames valuation is $800,000 and Mangiapane's camp is running with a $1mil valuation.

I'd say the Mangia camp is currently over-valuing and the Flames are spot on.

Considering that he had no true info from either side, I find it hard to believe that the offer is $200k less than what he wants.

No info from BT (as usual( and nothing from the agent.

So, he's making it up?

I have no doubt they are apart, but the QO was only 715k and a rwo way deal.

Likely that the player would want more than that and one way, but nothing suggest he wants $1m.

Only that the agent has given his position on what they want.

Lazar was signed for more than that.

$1m is too much, but 800k+ is not.

Archived