2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

Felt I would start something more specific to Training camp discussion.

Prospects open camp Thursday with Fitness testing and on the ice Friday.  They play games against the Oilers too Saturday and Tuesday. Propsect roster listed below. Games are streamed online as well if you're interested

Main Camp details yet to be released

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cccsberg said:

Thanks for the thread.  I wonder what time they are on-ice Friday?

More Detail here https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-open-prospects-training-camp-2019/c-308845844

Full Schedule Here

Thursday, September 5th

Who: All prospects
Event/Time: Prospects Fitness Testing/Medicals - Beginning at 7:00 a.m. (media availability starts at 10:00 a.m.)

Friday, September 6th

On-Ice Session:   10:00am

Saturday, September 7th

Pre-Game Skate:   Winsport - 10:00am
Event/Time(s): Game vs. Edmonton - 7:00pm MT                

Sunday, September 8th

On-Ice Session:   11:00am    

Monday, September 9th

On-Ice Session: 11:00am

Tuesday, September 10th

Pre-Game Skate:   Scotiabank Saddledome - 10:30am                 
Event/Time(s): Game vs. Edmonton - 7:00pm MT

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Felt I would start something more specific to Training camp discussion.

Prospects open camp Thursday with Fitness testing and on the ice Friday.  They play games against the Oilers too Saturday and Tuesday. Propsect roster listed below. Games are streamed online as well if you're interested

Main Camp details yet to be released

for the most part.... who are these guys????

1 minute ago, Horsman1 said:

for the most part.... who are these guys????

Some are guys they've signed to AHL deals and some are invites. Guy to fill out the roster as well guys they may have their eyes on for AHL deal or future deals as well.

Certainly a by product of the fact they havn't drafted much the last 3 drafts but also really impacted by the fact NCAA players and European guys don't come to these things. That's 5 of their last 10 picks. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some are guys they've signed to AHL deals and some are invites. Guy to fill out the roster as well guys they may have their eyes on for AHL deal or future deals as well.

Certainly a by product of the fact they havn't drafted much the last 3 drafts but also really impacted by the fact NCAA players and European guys don't come to these things. That's 5 of their last 10 picks. 

well yes.. that was very facetious of me.. normally prospect camp has a lot more known players..but,, irregardless

I'll be there on Friday to watch

It would be nice to give some undrafted guys an invite to main camp, but only to see if it's worthwhile investing a contract in them.

Younger guys would need to be really impressive to get a NHL deal.

Older guys could start with an AHL deal and see what happens.

Drafting can be hit or miss, and sometimes you need to throw a few more darts.

Assuming a slide, it only burns a contract spot until the CHL season starts.

And the cost of a signing bonus.

Now that I got that out of the way, no more Grossmanns littering the ice.

Make smart choices for PTO's and cut the player numbers down sooner than later.

AHL guys do not need to stick around if there is no chance of taking a NHL spot.

Keep the one guy you think would be 1st callup if he doesn;t make the main squad.

For D and F.

Don;t waste time with Pelltier this year; no need to play him 9 games.

Give him enough to work on for next camp.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

So, in a game like this, do you think McDavid would ever play?  And, what are the rules regarding his ability to defect over the the Flames camp and claim refugee status?

someone has had a really really really long summer and a bit too much bubbly

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

all I want is to see a couple of good old kick Hash Rate assistants brought in to lay down some heat on these pansy Hash Rate players.. boot camp time.. The talent is here.. I question the commitment

I kind of question the motivation. They still had slow starts. Instead of bringing the game to other teams, they kind of play a feel out 10 minutes or get their legs going. For me, I wanna see them make teams chase them. It is good to be resilient for comebacks but not good to rely on them.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I kind of question the motivation. They still had slow starts. Instead of bringing the game to other teams, they kind of play a feel out 10 minutes or get their legs going. For me, I wanna see them make teams chase them. It is good to be resilient for comebacks but not good to rely on them.

well after much thought and pontification(nice word huh?).. I have come to the conclusion that the entire reason for our slow starts is the pathetic performance of our national anthem singer.. Bring back Susan Smith.. Pump It Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well after much thought and pontification(nice word huh?).. I have come to the conclusion that the entire reason for our slow starts is the pathetic performance of our national anthem singer.. Bring back Susan Smith.. Pump It Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canyon is running for politics, so he may be done anyway.

As for slow starts, I wonder what the impact is to an athelete is for playing at sea level (most of the East and parts of the Pacific division) versus playing at 3500 feet.

We tend to have the ability to outlast teams over 60, but need the goalie to DO HIS JOB in the first period.

Looking at Rittich's starts, he was consistent enough to let the team bring it home.

He rarely put us in such a hole we had to play with desperation.

Hope that continues and we aren't looking at goals scored on the first shot.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

#Flames have announced four more PTO invites for training camp, all forwards: Devante Smith-Pelly, Tobias Rieder, Zac Rinaldo, and Alexandre Grenier.

11:46 AM - 4 Sep 2019

DSP... nice!

Rieder, no thanks.

Rinaldo, was great 5 years ago.  Not anymore.  Too washed up and a targeted player.  Too dirty (although we need that) but his time is over.

Grenier... never heard of him.  Former 3rd rounder of the Canucks and 6'-5" 225 lbs. RHS RW.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

#Flames have announced four more PTO invites for training camp, all forwards: Devante Smith-Pelly, Tobias Rieder, Zac Rinaldo, and Alexandre Grenier.

11:46 AM - 4 Sep 2019

I could see any of DSP, Rieder and Rinaldo getting a contract at the end of camp.

DSP would replace what we lost in Hathaway. Rieder is a speedy player who can kill penalties. Rinaldo is a massive pain in the Hash Rate to play against.

Archived