2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

I am a little confused with the situation. It was my understanding that today was the last day for players to be put on waivers to clear cap space to start the season.

Even with Dube and Quine heading to Stockton, they are still over the cap. They are just over 2 million over the cap right now, and Dube and Quine only save them 1.5. So they are still over the cap by .5 mil (about). 

I would think that they need to demote Kylington, leaving them with only 6 D Just to clear cap for tomorrow and then will need to waive another forward to clear space for a 7th D whether that is Kylington back up, AMac signed or whatever.

I guess they will also have Valimaki IR space to bring back a 7 D. They become compliant but it is a little messy to do so. 

Either way, there is little to no space to spare on the cap to make any real moves if anyone falters out of the gate.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I am a little confused with the situation. It was my understanding that today was the last day for players to be put on waivers to clear cap space to start the season.

Even with Dube and Quine heading to Stockton, they are still over the cap. They are just over 2 million over the cap right now, and Dube and Quine only save them 1.5. So they are still over the cap by .5 mil (about). 

I would think that they need to demote Kylington, leaving them with only 6 D Just to clear cap for tomorrow and then will need to waive another forward to clear space for a 7th D whether that is Kylington back up, AMac signed or whatever.

I guess they will also have Valimaki IR space to bring back a 7 D. They become compliant but it is a little messy to do so. 

Either way, there is little to no space to spare on the cap to make any real moves if anyone falters out of the gate.

If going based off of cap friendly they have Rinaldo still with Calgary but he cleared waivers yesterday so he will be heading to Stockton most likely so that puts us about $200k under the cap without using Valimaki's LTIR. 

It is very important that they do anything and everything to not go into that LTIR. Using the LTIR would mean that we wouldn't accumulate any cap space going into the trade deadline and any trades we made would have to be cap in/cap out trades, which would severely limit what would could do at the deadline.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

So looks likes it's down to the last D spot. Not signing MacDonald today would seem to suggest that perhaps there is a waiver claim they are waiting on and he would be their last resort. 

My guess is that Kylingtion is heading down to the A as well. 

I didn;t think Dube had to be sent down, as we are down to 14F with Quine and Rinaldo bound for the AHL.

Not unless they are going with 8D or plan on picking up a waiver player.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I didn;t think Dube had to be sent down, as we are down to 14F with Quine and Rinaldo bound for the AHL.

Not unless they are going with 8D or plan on picking up a waiver player.

Treliving has said that they won't be carrying 23 players, most likely carrying 22. We don't have the cap space to be able to carry 23.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Treliving has said that they won't be carrying 23 players, most likely carrying 22. We don't have the cap space to be able to carry 23.

Part of that is due to waiving Quine over Czarnik.

But if a young cheap F came along, he might consider it.

As it stands, we sit with an overage of $620,875 taking into account Quine and Rinaldo's demotion.

If we have to be complaint day 1 before we LTIR Valimaki, we could still claim Sprong and send Kylington and Dube down.

Hold off signing AMax, if they plan on that.

Seems feasible.  Doesn;t get you any cap space, just allow you to go over by > $600k.

But that's a scouting and GM choice to pick up a player when we are full.

Doesn;t make it wrong, just that BT doesn;t peruse the wire that much.

Or so it seems.

Sprong will get claimed by some team.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Part of that is due to waiving Quine over Czarnik.

But if a young cheap F came along, he might consider it.

As it stands, we sit with an overage of $620,875 taking into account Quine and Rinaldo's demotion.

If we have to be complaint day 1 before we LTIR Valimaki, we could still claim Sprong and send Kylington and Dube down.

Hold off signing AMax, if they plan on that.

Seems feasible.  Doesn;t get you any cap space, just allow you to go over by > $600k.

But that's a scouting and GM choice to pick up a player when we are full.

Doesn;t make it wrong, just that BT doesn;t peruse the wire that much.

Or so it seems.

Sprong will get claimed by some team.

We are 2nd last on the waiver priority so it becomes less likely that the players we might want on waivers will be available.

Just now, JTech780 said:

We are 2nd last on the waiver priority so it becomes less likely that the players we might want on waivers will be available.

Agreed, but there is no harm in being ready if he made it to 2nd last.

This is about the only time of year a player of his ilk would slip that far.

Too many teams in the same boat this year, trying to be complaint as well as icing a good roster.

A few teams that have cap space but may not have roster space.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I am really hoping MacDonald doesn't get a contract. I was fine with a PTO, but after watching him play I am not interested. As the games got faster, he got worse. You can't have a liability on D. Kylington or Stone are better options. 

I really can't tell you whether AMac was good or lousy last year.

I do think BT is scraping the barrel with this PTO.

He didn't wow against any team.

Wasn't quietly good.

6 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Today was only the last day if you needed to put a player on waivers to assign him to the AHL. Dube and Kylington don’t require waivers and Rinaldo cleared already so all 3 can be sent down with Quine tomorrow. That’s gives them some breathing room with Valimakis LTIR there for extra. 

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

I am really hoping MacDonald doesn't get a contract. I was fine with a PTO, but after watching him play I am not interested. As the games got faster, he got worse. You can't have a liability on D. Kylington or Stone are better options. 

Well, it's official.

AMac was released from his PTO.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, cross16 said:

Bennett is a prime example of why the NHL needs to re work their AHL/CHL agreement. 

I don't have a problem of what the Flames did in terms of bringing him to the NHL. Once he got here, different story, but the rule needs revisiting as the salary cap is forcing teams to use more youth and draft picks then before so you can't keep operating under such an antiquated rule when your game has changed.  

It appears to me these restrictions are in place to protect the Junior leagues. Same with college players to some degree.

If they chose to let's younger players in the AHL it will make it more difficult for WHL, OHL QMJHL to keep good players in their systems.

11 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

It appears to me these restrictions are in place to protect the Junior leagues. Same with college players to some degree.

If they chose to let's younger players in the AHL it will make it more difficult for WHL, OHL QMJHL to keep good players in their systems.

This is correct, and why i think it just needs to be capped so it's a limited number to minimize the impact. Would result in few players actually be impacted and in many cases i'm betting it's players that are already heading to the NHL anyway. 

A topic for another area for sure. I know the NHL is thinking about it, I just think it makes a lot of sense to be discussing. 

Glad they went with Kylington over Amac. I was find with Macdonald as a 7th dman but would not have liked the idea of him starting of Kylington even though I may not be Kylington's biggest fan. 

gut tells me that the Flames may not be done with their defense however. See how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is correct, and why i think it just needs to be capped so it's a limited number to minimize the impact. Would result in few players actually be impacted and in many cases i'm betting it's players that are already heading to the NHL anyway. 

A topic for another area for sure. I know the NHL is thinking about it, I just think it makes a lot of sense to be discussing. 

As much as I hate how it works against my thoughts/some players some times. It works. Keeps talent in jr markets, they have to thrive too.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As much as I hate how it works against my thoughts/some players some times. It works. Keeps talent in jr markets, they have to thrive too.

That is better than getting separated shoulders and concussions from the bullies in the AHL.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

BP has also confirmed that the 3rd pair to start the seasin is Kylington-Ras.

I really don't think Stone is an everyday option, regardless of what people think of Kylington.

I got 2 bites from you TD on the same post!!  😛

I did realise that Stone was 7th and I am happy with that and glad they gave Kyllngton the 6th spot but I do not think the GM is done with this D.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

Glad they went with Kylington over Amac. I was find with Macdonald as a 7th dman but would not have liked the idea of him starting of Kylington even though I may not be Kylington's biggest fan. 

gut tells me that the Flames may not be done with their defense however. See how it plays out. 

I agree with your gut. It may not happen until after the season starts, but I can't see them passing the deadline without adding a D. Probably earlier then later. 

But, as you say, we will have to see how the season goes. If the Kylington / Andersson pair is rock solid and the top 6 stay healthy maybe that changes things. 

Archived