2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was just reported that at least Reider is currently in contract talks. I still see AMac and Rinaldo in the mix too though no specific reports at this time. 

I see 2 reasons for holding onto SOME of the PTOs. 1 reason would be that if they hold onto them until the last moment, other teams have filled their rosters and these guys would therefore not be able to compete against us. 2 They aren't sure if some of the young guys are quite there. (Dube, Kylington, Czarnik, Jankowski) and so keeping the PTOs who are doing well makes sense, just in case. DSP has not shown well and so he is likely more a reason 1 guy.

Just my thoughts though. 

57 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

It was just reported that at least Reider is currently in contract talks. I still see AMac and Rinaldo in the mix too though no specific reports at this time. 

I see 2 reasons for holding onto SOME of the PTOs. 1 reason would be that if they hold onto them until the last moment, other teams have filled their rosters and these guys would therefore not be able to compete against us. 2 They aren't sure if some of the young guys are quite there. (Dube, Kylington, Czarnik, Jankowski) and so keeping the PTOs who are doing well makes sense, just in case. DSP has not shown well and so he is likely more a reason 1 guy.

Just my thoughts though. 

I think that would be unreasonable for a GM to do that.

Basically they would be blocking a guys from getting a contract from another team.

Some GM's might consider doing that, but Mr. Nice Guy doesn't.

If you look at the way the lines are, the 5th line is the extras, plus Quine.

Rieder and Quine would essentially be the 13/14th guys.

There isn't room in the roster for the other PTO's.

As far as the D, it looks like Kylington has an inside track to the 6/7 spot, only because he's getting one more day, along side who his partner would be; Ras.

Doesn't mean we don't end up signing AMac, just that we may end up signing and waiving him.

Or sign AMac and waive Stone.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

My bad I thought the limit was $1.25m, but it's $1.075m. So $175k would stay on the cap if Czarnik went down.

I think it's very possible that Czarnik gets waived.

Big salary difference between his and Quine's.

Keeping Quine and waiving Czarnik costs around $910k.

Reverse costs $1.25m.

13 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I still think Jankowski is going to be traded. But if he isn't I agree with Cross that Quine is more likely to be waived compared to Czarnik. 

Yeah I have been really disappointed with Jankowski this pre season, he talked about how he worked really hard in the off season to improve but he doesn't look any faster and he looks even more tentative. Moving his $1.65m helps the cap situation a lot for this team going forward, and with guys like Quine and Dube and even Froese being able to jump up and play solid in the 4th line center role I think we can handle the loss of Jankowski fairly easily.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Right call but really too bad he didn't make a better impression. The Flames doing very little this offseason to increase their physicality is worrisome. 

You must have missed the Lucic acquisition. Ya, we traded Neil to Edm for him. They don't get more physical than him.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Czarnik has, and continues to, see time on the PP. I would find it unlikely he would’ve waived but we will see. 

Czarnik is one of the very few RHS on this team.

One of them play C, and another on the top line.

So, you are probably right about not waiving him.

The thing I wonder about with his PP usage is why.

The 2nd unit was pretty bad last year.

Czarnik had 3 points, and the rest of the line had little more.

Was that because we used Brodie on the point?

Or was it the inability to gain the zone?

IIRC, the most common players were Backlund, Ryan, Bennett, Neal, Czarnik, Brodie, Andersson.  Maybe a few others.

That wasn;t working.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Right call but really too bad he didn't make a better impression. The Flames doing very little this offseason to increase their physicality is worrisome. 

I was bothered by the PTO's we did invite and the lack of trades that happened.

Kadri would have added some snarl.

DSP and Rinaldo are fine, but they have very little hockey skill.

Czernik still on the 2nd PP unit so I think the changes of him being waived are pretty inch zero

That 2nd unit feel like a train wreck but we’ll see. Peters seems pretty content to just roll out everything the same as he did last year with is both frustrating and deeply concerning. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup 1 player. Cool. 

Also not sure you’ve seen much of Lucic the last 2 years.

Hey, there is no bigger fan of the crashing and banging style players than me. I was unhappy to see Hathaway go because his style is a necessary ingredient in the cocktail. Lucic makes up for the loss plus some.

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Czernik still on the 2nd PP unit so I think the changes of him being waived are pretty inch zero

That 2nd unit feel like a train wreck but we’ll see. Peters seems pretty content to just roll out everything the same as he did last year with is both frustrating and deeply concerning. 

I'm okay with PP1, just because it worked pretty well last year.

The 2nd PP is concerning.

The only thing going for it is the ability of Brodie and Ras on zone entries.

Lucic in front is fine, if you get a shot on nets.

Brodie doesn;t do that much.

Ras does but would benefit from someone with hands to tip.

Czarnik is a shot from the circle almost exclusively.

I'm pretty sure we have more capable players for that unit.

4F might be a good idea.

Passers like Brodie and Backlund are fine if you have someone to take it to the net.

49 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think it is what sunk GG. He stuck with what he was comfortable with and it backfired.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm okay with PP1, just because it worked pretty well last year.

The 2nd PP is concerning.

The only thing going for it is the ability of Brodie and Ras on zone entries.

Lucic in front is fine, if you get a shot on nets.

Brodie doesn;t do that much.

Ras does but would benefit from someone with hands to tip.

Czarnik is a shot from the circle almost exclusively.

I'm pretty sure we have more capable players for that unit.

4F might be a good idea.

Passers like Brodie and Backlund are fine if you have someone to take it to the net.

The ability to tip the puck is another reason I think Tkachuk should be on the 2nd unit. Take Brodie off of the pair or play him on PP1 so he can dish the puck to Gio. 

Ras is great and almost prefer him on PP1 if Brodie isn’t there. 

Again, the coaching staff seems to want to load up on the top and let the bottom kind of sink or swim. 

What is the point of having depth if you don’t use it to your advantage?

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it is what sunk GG. He stuck with what he was comfortable with and it backfired.

He stuck with it in the face of results and performance so far while maybe you would want to see more adjustments from Peters he’s also shown he won’t stick with something If it’s not working. 

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The ability to tip the puck is another reason I think Tkachuk should be on the 2nd unit. Take Brodie off of the pair or play him on PP1 so he can dish the puck to Gio. 

Ras is great and almost prefer him on PP1 if Brodie isn’t there. 

Again, the coaching staff seems to want to load up on the top and let the bottom kind of sink or swim. 

What is the point of having depth if you don’t use it to your advantage?

Ryan is ill, so he would normally be in there.

The second unit is the leftovers.

Backlund has never really impressed me there.

He's best at 5v5 and 4v5.

If you take Backlund and Brodie off PP2, you could have Ryan at C, Janko as an alternate C, Lucic (or Bennett), Ras and Mangiapane.

Not saying Janko is better than Bennett, but he can use his speed a bit better.

Really, you may be right about breaking down the two units and having two good units.

Ras should play with whomever can tip shots.

JH and Mony should be together.

My biggest issue so far this pre season is the way Bennett has just been used as a place holder, first he was used in Tkachuk's spot and now Ryan's. How is this guy ever going to succeed when he never gets regular linemates, and it doesn't seem to matter how well he plays, he still gets bounced around the lineup.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My biggest issue so far this pre season is the way Bennett has just been used as a place holder, first he was used in Tkachuk's spot and now Ryan's. How is this guy ever going to succeed when he never gets regular linemates, and it doesn't seem to matter how well he plays, he still gets bounced around the lineup.

It is another reason I think taking Lindholm off the first line could be better for the team long term. 

Pairs:

Gaudreau, Monahan 

Tkachuk, Backlund

Bennett, Whoever

Mangiapane, Ryan

i would go

Gaudreau, Monahan 

Tkachuk, Lindholm 

Bennett, Backlund

Ryan, ???

Archived