2019 Offseason Thread

JTech780

21 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I still think Neal could work with Johnny IF they had a power center.

Under the condition of who "could work with Johnny IF they had a power center." would include half the NHL forwards. Heck Lomberg would be a 60 pointer. LOL

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point I was making is that Neal doesn't fit with the current make up of the team and never did. If he was RW to Gaudreau and a power center, then it would easily have been him getting the 34 goals instead of Monahan because he and Mony play a very similar style. He likes to be set up for the shot in the slot as a sniper when room is made. He did not have a passer or space made for him during the season so he could never play his game. Mony also couldn't put up the same offence when the other teams shut down his space to shoot.

Give Neal a good passer and a net front / board banger on his line and he could likely earn his contract. Putting him with D first centres (Backlund, Jankowski, Ryan) and energy guys (Bennett, Hathaway) just won't get the job done. He just doesn't fit those players. The problem is, the Flames just don't currently have the roster players to make it work. Could Dube be the center for Neal if they had a good passer (Mangiapane?)? Maybe. Given more time together, could Bennett be the guy to create the space for Johnny and Mony? Maybe if he can start converting chances and reign in his energy a little.

The goal is to build a team that plays to everyones strengths. Right now there are a lot of talented pieces that just don't quite fit right. It is up to Treliving to fix that either through UFA or trades. I don't have all the answers, I just call it as I see it.  

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎26 at 5:02 PM, bosn111 said:

The point I was making is that Neal doesn't fit with the current make up of the team and never did. If he was RW to Gaudreau and a power center, then it would easily have been him getting the 34 goals instead of Monahan because he and Mony play a very similar style. He likes to be set up for the shot in the slot as a sniper when room is made. He did not have a passer or space made for him during the season so he could never play his game. Mony also couldn't put up the same offence when the other teams shut down his space to shoot.

Give Neal a good passer and a net front / board banger on his line and he could likely earn his contract. Putting him with D first centres (Backlund, Jankowski, Ryan) and energy guys (Bennett, Hathaway) just won't get the job done. He just doesn't fit those players. The problem is, the Flames just don't currently have the roster players to make it work. Could Dube be the center for Neal if they had a good passer (Mangiapane?)? Maybe. Given more time together, could Bennett be the guy to create the space for Johnny and Mony? Maybe if he can start converting chances and reign in his energy a little.

The goal is to build a team that plays to everyones strengths. Right now there are a lot of talented pieces that just don't quite fit right. It is up to Treliving to fix that either through UFA or trades. I don't have all the answers, I just call it as I see it.  

I agree bosn111 trying to accommodated all of Neal, Monahan and Tkachuk due to their skating is practically impossible and holding all 3 back. All 3 want and should be top 6 forwards but the fits are not there. There are a few changes that I think are essential in order to play within Peters system, one is being stronger down the middle and matching up speed where required. My remedy starts with moving Monahan to LW and Tkachuk to RW. Tkachuk needs to get away from Backlund and provide more offense with his talents so if we are going to have a LHS playing RW I prefer him over Neal. If they move Monahan to LW he still need a feeder and some speed and checkers to go with him. Here would be my two top lines.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk

Monahan, Lindholm, Kapanen (if we can get him by trade) BT needs to trade Neal for his and our own good.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I agree bosn111 trying to accommodated all of Neal, Monahan ad Tkachuk due to their skating is practically impossible and holding all 3 back. All 3 want and should be top 6 forwards but the fits are not there. There are a few changes that I think are essential in order to play within Peters system, one is being stronger down the middle and matching up speed where required. My remedy starts with moving Monahan to LW and Tkachuk to RW. Tkachuk needs to get away from Backlund and provide more offense with his talents so if we are going to have a LHS playing RW I prefer him over Neal. If they move Monahan to LW he still need a feeder and some speed and checkers to go with him. Here would be my two top lines.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk

Monahan, Lindholm, Kapanen (if we can get him by trade) BT needs to trade Neal for his and our own good.

That could be a great way to get more. I think the problem with Backlund being the only shutdown C is that if he’s played with the other team’s best, and he’s the only one who can, he’ll be on the ice too long. He isn’t a #1 C, but he has skill. If he’s tired, the skill deteriorates. 

So so we need a C who can play up with speed and can be good on D too. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

That could be a great way to get more. I think the problem with Backlund being the only shutdown C is that if he’s played with the other team’s best, and he’s the only one who can, he’ll be on the ice too long. He isn’t a #1 C, but he has skill. If he’s tired, the skill deteriorates. 

So so we need a C who can play up with speed and can be good on D too. 

If say Bennett, Lindholm, Backlund and Ryan are your Cs then less emphasis falls with Backlund, therefore less dependant solely on him as well.

30 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If say Bennett, Lindholm, Backlund and Ryan are your Cs then less emphasis falls with Backlund, therefore less dependant solely on him as well.

I would like to try Bennett with Gaudreau again. I think that Bennett can be a better passer than some give him credit for. Perhaps his tendency is due to habit and having guys like Jankowski with him. 

We need to bring back the art of the give and go. Our skilled players hang onto the puck too long. Open up some seams. 

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I would like to try Bennett with Gaudreau again. I think that Bennett can be a better passer than some give him credit for. Perhaps his tendency is due to habit and having guys like Jankowski with him. 

We need to bring back the art of the give and go. Our skilled players hang onto the puck too long. Open up some seams. 

I try to look at the ingredients each player brings to the line.

Gaudreau, speed, good entries, playmaker and scorer, not good for any board work.

Bennett speed, good entries, solid board work and goal front presence, solid defensively, 

Tkachuk good passer, playmaker, scorer, good board work, good goal front presence, definite distraction now knows how to defend.

All 3 have a high compete level

Monahan, average speed plays good positioning, a premier scorer, needs to be stronger on the check and boards both defensively and offensively.

Lindholm solid game, good speed, all round player offensively and defensively

Kapanen is fast, does a lot of everything well, more scoring with more opportunity IMO.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

some of our skilled players had the give down in that series, just not as much of the go

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some German paper (according to Pike) is saying we are in on Lean Bergmann.

I would have thought that he was drafted.

Played last year in the USHL.

Any informed opinions about this?

According to eliteprospects he is still eligible for the draft. 

He played this season in Germany. 6'2" 205lbs LHS LW/RW. He lead all U21 skaters with goals (20) and points (29) in 50 games in the DEL.

The DEL is a lower end European League so it's tough to know what to expect from players out of that league. It is also more of a veteran league so seeing a young guy have success in that league is a plus.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, JTech780 said:

According to eliteprospects he is still eligible for the draft. 

He played this season in Germany. 6'2" 205lbs LHS LW/RW. He lead all U21 skaters with goals (20) and points (29) in 50 games in the DEL.

The DEL is a lower end European League so it's tough to know what to expect from players out of that league. It is also more of a veteran league so seeing a young guy have success in that league is a plus.

We haven't had much luck with German players, best to leave them alone.

18 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Don't know, don't care they never seem to stick here.

So, you think we would or should have passed on Draisaitl?

Maybe his stats are inflated a bit, but he can put up points in the playoffs.

Draft and look for players based on skill.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Draisaitl also play 3 years in the WHL which none of these German players experience while playing in lesser talented leagues in Germany. Risky is all I'm saying.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, travel_dude said:

I remember being terrified at the draft that our player would be gone and we'd be "stuck" with Leon ... oops 

we looked like geniuses for maybe one season 

Archived