Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

This thread should probably move to the NHL Section. Oh well, a good goal. I always wondered why we didn’t even try him in OT when it was obvious he liked skating with room. 

hindsight to me is. A few of us kept calling for more and better line mates and others not agreeing and we said trade him then and we will see. I am glad he is doing well and I hope he can keep it up.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

It’s funny that about 2 months ago I was saying put Bennett on line 2 Crt and watch him excel...now look at him in Fla!

It’s time for fans and more So mgt to take a hard shot of reality...

the reality is:

1. Monahan is a great Ctr 

2. Gaudreau is too small and we simply don’t have enough size to keep him successful 

3. again on the size issue, Manji, Dube and Gaudreau are great but 3 super small players is far too many pick one trade the rest..love them all but..

3. Gio is too long in the tooth, move him to line 3 or better still trade him and get something for him

4. We should have kept Bennet and traded Backlund...but that’s a mistake, however, trade Backlund now before he’s worth nothing

5.Tachuck is still the future, let’s not ruin him like Bennett, rather let’s get him on the top line with Monahan and Lindholm...then build a solid second line which, to be honest should have been Around Bennett.

6. the D is not so bad just need to be paired better with:

Hanifin/Tanev 

Valimaki/Anderson

gio (or 2021 first)/Kylington

Stone (solid #7 filler)

lots of work to do, but if done right, could only take a year or two to turn it around...enter BT to ruin this by keeping Gio and Backlund, Gaudreau...maybe trading Hanifin and Kylington...bring in some more small players etc...it’s pretty predictable cause that’s al he’s done!

If we have Pelleter coming in, we can't keep all three small guys.

It's nice to have their skills but I think at most we can only keep 2 of 4.

Gio and Tkachuk are like oil and water.

Get rid of Gio to move forward.

As good as he is still defensively, he tries to be the head of the offense; he is not.

Need to move on.

Backlund is an enigma.

He's startung to decline but is still a good C.

If he's the #3, then he doesn't need to be kept.

Last night on the pre-game the panel was discussing the best trade deadline pick up this year.  The hands down consensus was Bennett to Florida for all of the obvious reasons. Hated to see the player go, but I was one of the people calling to trade him.  I mean as frustrated as I was with his deployment and handling, I cant imagine how he mist have felt.  Good on him for always sucking it up and being a warrior here and I am pumped that he is taking full advantage to his new opportunity!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He was buzzing all night last night, 8 shots. Fitting he got the winner.

We are seeing the energy of a playoff Bennett.

Good that he will help FLA.

Get paid and see if you can keep it going next regular season.

I don't know FLA's protection list, but you have to think Bennett is on it now.

FLA got a 4th overall pick (highest in Flames history), proven NHLer and playoff performer and gave up very litlle in doing so. Bennett has been lights out, I knew he’d succeed under Quenville, good on him for it! Here the Flames are left with nothing but hope with their return. It should almost sound off alarms within the organization..why didn’t Bennett blossom here...it was an obvious fail in player development here. For the Flames,  it’s a nice kick in the balls! 

10 minutes ago, rickross said:

FLA got a 4th overall pick (highest in Flames history), proven NHLer and playoff performer and gave up very litlle in doing so. Bennett has been lights out, I knew he’d succeed under Quenville, good on him for it! Here the Flames are left with nothing but hope with their return. It should almost sound off alarms within the organization..why didn’t Bennett blossom here...it was an obvious fail in player development here. For the Flames,  it’s a nice kick in the balls! 

We gave up on a player we couldn't protect (ie. lose him for nothing to Seattle) and got a 19 year old prospect plus a 2nd in 2022.

Whether he was miscast or poorly developed or created a room issue, he was surpassed at EV by Mangipane.

Let's face it, he didn't do enough here to justify being played up in the lineup.

And didn't fit the RW spot we needed him for, or able to justify being a staple with Backlund and Tkachuk.

Wasn't given enough opportunity for sures.

But you have to give your coach enough trust to get those minutes and use them.

If we had a line of Huberdeau and Duclair or Tippett (RHS), he may have done the same here.

Failure to bring in effective RW's is a BT failure.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We gave up on a player we couldn't protect (ie. lose him for nothing to Seattle) and got a 19 year old prospect plus a 2nd in 2022.

Whether he was miscast or poorly developed or created a room issue, he was surpassed at EV by Mangipane.

Let's face it, he didn't do enough here to justify being played up in the lineup.

And didn't fit the RW spot we needed him for, or able to justify being a staple with Backlund and Tkachuk.

Wasn't given enough opportunity for sures.

But you have to give your coach enough trust to get those minutes and use them.

If we had a line of Huberdeau and Duclair or Tippett (RHS), he may have done the same here.

Failure to bring in effective RW's is a BT failure.

the problem is, they wouldn’t play him with Huberdeau or Duclair if they were here, because they would play Backlund, Monahan or Ryan with them. 

he would play a good period and then if he didn’t score they would take him off the line, or if he’d get a penalty they would sit him, if he made a mistake they’d sit him. That’s no confidence in the player and then the player plays to fail.

Everyone says he was last on the C list here but no one ever gave him a chance to center those kinds of players. They didn’t try him with Johnny, nor Tkachuk. I get that you say that they were players that wouldn’t mesh with him, but we won’t ever know until they tried it and they never did. They were too busy coddling all of the other players and not thinking about what was best for him.

This is the difference between coaches. It’s why Quinville is the best in the business. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the problem is, they wouldn’t play him with Huberdeau or Duclair if they were here, because they would play Backlund, Monahan or Ryan with them. 

he would play a good period and then if he didn’t score they would take him off the line, or if he’d get a penalty they would sit him, if he made a mistake they’d sit him. That’s no confidence in the player and then the player plays to fail.

Everyone says he was last on the C list here but no one ever gave him a chance to center those kinds of players. They didn’t try him with Johnny, nor Tkachuk. I get that you say that they were players that wouldn’t mesh with him, but we won’t ever know until they tried it and they never did. They were too busy coddling all of the other players and not thinking about what was best for him.

This is the difference between coaches. It’s why Quinville is the best in the business. 

I don't think the last few years really mattered.  I think his confidence was completely shot once Peters came in and guys like Dube and Czarnik surpassed him in camp.  2 Seasons ago his most common line mates were Tkachuk and Backlund and he was more productive with those guys, but Tkachuk and Backlund were more productive with Frolik.  This year his most common linemates while in Calgary were Monahan and Gaudreau to mediocre results.  So I don't believe there was a just give him a chance here, he needed a change mentally.

I get the argument of Gulutzan screwing his development, but Gaudreau and Monahan worked, 3M line worked, at the time we needed to develop Bennett better for sure, but we were still developing Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk at the same time just a case that we couldn't find anything in those 2 years that worked with Bennett.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I watched the video of his game winner and they talked about how good he played all night, how good he has been.

I just watched it as well.  Amazing what a little confidence will do for a guy.....there is no way he made that shot here.  It would have sailed wide or he would have tried to force himself around the defender and jam the goalie.  Really weird how a switch can be flicked like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't think the last few years really mattered.  I think his confidence was completely shot once Peters came in and guys like Dube and Czarnik surpassed him in camp.  2 Seasons ago his most common line mates were Tkachuk and Backlund and he was more productive with those guys, but Tkachuk and Backlund were more productive with Frolik.  This year his most common linemates while in Calgary were Monahan and Gaudreau to mediocre results.  So I don't believe there was a just give him a chance here, he needed a change mentally.

I get the argument of Gulutzan screwing his development, but Gaudreau and Monahan worked, 3M line worked, at the time we needed to develop Bennett better for sure, but we were still developing Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk at the same time just a case that we couldn't find anything in those 2 years that worked with Bennett.

Almost all fans in Calgary like Backlund, he is your steady eddy, and turned the 3M line into a secondary threat that was defensively responsible. The problem with Calgary is they hold onto the older players for so long in the same spot that they lose sight of the job of a player. Once Tkachuk and Mang developed themselves as stalwarts on the 2nd line, Bennett should’ve been inserted to grow with them. And Backlund should’ve moved down the chain of command to work with Dube to groom him and whoever. I know Looch throws a wrinkle in they’re, but that was they’re mistake. And when they realized they couldn’t undo it they compounded the problem by converting Lindy into a Center (which he is doing admirably), but it left no space for Benny. And like you said it was too late, and the reason I will always be a big Sam Fan.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Almost all fans in Calgary like Backlund, he is your steady eddy, and turned the 3M line into a secondary threat that was defensively responsible. The problem with Calgary is they hold onto the older players for so long in the same spot that they lose sight of the job of a player. Once Tkachuk and Mang developed themselves as stalwarts on the 2nd line, Bennett should’ve been inserted to grow with them. And Backlund should’ve moved down the chain of command to work with Dube to groom him and whoever. I know Looch throws a wrinkle in they’re, but that was they’re mistake. And when they realized they couldn’t undo it they compounded the problem by converting Lindy into a Center (which he is doing admirably), but it left no space for Benny. And like you said it was too late, and the reason I will always be a big Sam Fan.

I mostly agree, especially about holding on too long.

At the same time, there has to be results.

If his time at C consisted of soft penalties, then you could see reluctance to use him.

Lucic was part of the problem, though.

How do you get output when Lucic was almost to the point of quitting.

I never agreed with moving Backlund to 3rd line and Lindy to top line.  While it has worked pretty well, that sets up a disaster on the 3rd line.  Bennett was part of that.  As good as Lucic is, he is always good for a couple goals against.  And Backlund looks disinterested at times.  So we still only have 2 lines, one isn't even complete.  As good as Mangiapane and Dube are, they don't belong on a line with Gaudreau.  Too small on the wings.  Ritchie is worse.  Ryan is only slightly bigger but still is too small.  I have no issue with Mangiapane with Tkachuk; that fits like a glove.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I mostly agree, especially about holding on too long.

At the same time, there has to be results.

If his time at C consisted of soft penalties, then you could see reluctance to use him.

Lucic was part of the problem, though.

How do you get output when Lucic was almost to the point of quitting.

I never agreed with moving Backlund to 3rd line and Lindy to top line.  While it has worked pretty well, that sets up a disaster on the 3rd line.  Bennett was part of that.  As good as Lucic is, he is always good for a couple goals against.  And Backlund looks disinterested at times.  So we still only have 2 lines, one isn't even complete.  As good as Mangiapane and Dube are, they don't belong on a line with Gaudreau.  Too small on the wings.  Ritchie is worse.  Ryan is only slightly bigger but still is too small.  I have no issue with Mangiapane with Tkachuk; that fits like a glove.

I get that Monahan and Gaudreau didn't work on a line with Bennett with Bennett as a winger. I always saw Benny's tendencies lean towards the middle of the ice so I wondered if just shifting Benny to the middle could have changed the dynamics.

I also see Tkachuk as a more cerebral player than Lucic, but smart at knowing when to hold it and when to pass it to help push the play forward, which is why I think he'd have been good for Bennett, someone who needs to make transitional passes out. Tkachuk is a guy who is good on the boards, but also in front, and Bennett is a dog on a bone behind the net. 

I agree with you that the rest of the roster is a tad off. Can we add complimentary players to help what we have now? or is Bennett the start of something bigger? 

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If we have Pelleter coming in, we can't keep all three small guys.

It's nice to have their skills but I think at most we can only keep 2 of 4.

Gio and Tkachuk are like oil and water.

Get rid of Gio to move forward.

As good as he is still defensively, he tries to be the head of the offense; he is not.

Need to move on.

Backlund is an enigma.

He's startung to decline but is still a good C.

If he's the #3, then he doesn't need to be kept.

Agreed 100%

Bennett knew this team is completely messed up and that we can see, he’s thriving under Fal as a 3rd line Ctr imagine what if we did right by him and put him as 2nd line Ctr...90% of this debacle of a season would be totally different...add in a RW trade and suddenly we have 2 legit lines! Just imagine that! 

anyway let’s see if BT can fix his mess ASAP...otherwise After this off season I’m done with BT and he 110% needs to go...so he’s gotta pull off another Lindholm and Hanifin hail marry or we are in for a long Hash Rate rebuild 

• Like 1

Man oh man... Benny is on fire in FLA! 😁👍🏻 And this thread is the hottest one on the forum!! Ha!  Go Benny Go! You know who I’m routing for south of the border! Always knew the kid had it in him, and here’s hoping this organization does a collective “WTF!” And straightens each other out - top to bottom. Makes you really wonder when armchair GMs at home have more insight into player personnel than the organization. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

This thread should probably move to the NHL Section. Oh well, a good goal. I always wondered why we didn’t even try him in OT when it was obvious he liked skating with room. 

hindsight to me is. A few of us kept calling for more and better line mates and others not agreeing and we said trade him then and we will see. I am glad he is doing well and I hope he can keep it up.

I imagine it will end up there but I have to say, I like the focus on it and I think it's healthy.

For one, a lot of bennett fans here, myself included  :)  Super happy for him!

For two, this can't just be ignored.  Can't.    The most valuable thing we can get from this trade, and possibly the only thing, is the reality of the situation with the organisation for the last decade.  And I'm not saying they're all bad.    But if this isn't a lesson I don't know what is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I imagine it will end up there but I have to say, I like the focus on it and I think it's healthy.

For one, a lot of bennett fans here, myself included  :)  Super happy for him!

For two, this can't just be ignored.  Can't.    The most valuable thing we can get from this trade, and possibly the only thing, is the reality of the situation with the organisation for the last decade.  And I'm not saying they're all bad.    But if this isn't a lesson I don't know what is.

Re: the bolded. Who is this, and what did you do with the real JJgallow? ;) (J/k of course buddy!)

Re: the underlined. I couldn’t agree more. 

An assist on Duclair's opener. Cleared the zone on the PK to Duclair outta the box and Duclair went ham and cheese.

I was watching Fla pre-Bennett, just continuing to do so, good hockey.

Not much point wondering what went wrong here. Florida has a lot of good players. Lomberg's full time 4th line too.

Should discuss why he was let go, perfect 4 line team guy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

An assist on Duclair's opener. Cleared the zone on the PK to Duclair outta the box and Duclair went ham and cheese.

Not much point wondering what went wrong here. Florida has a lot of good players. Lomberg's full time 4th line too.

Its ok, we still have Backlund defending well!

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Agreed.  It's already obvious ;)

This City deserves a well managed NHL team.    Looking forward to when those changes take place.    Shouldn't be much longer to wait.