Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think the problem is you have to play Bennett at C to take advantage of him playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't see Bennett at RW; he's not looked good in that spot before.

Bennett on LW and you just have a continuation of him on LW.

It's fine and dandy to project lines, but what message does it say to the room that Bennett asks for a trade and gets immediately moved to top 3?

7 games in and he's had maybe one game where he was positive.

I don’t know what message would be sent. I hope it would be we need to be a deeper team that has three lines with legitimate threats and we want to try something different. If the team has hurt feelings for trying to put a teammate in a position to succeed with the intention of making the team better, than I believe this will be more effectively discussed in “what are the Calgary flames”.

Ward was bound and determined to us Lindholm at C.

Whether that has worked is anyone's guess.

Strong performances up to the first Montreal game.

But little 5v5 scoring.

If Bennett is to stick on the 3rd line at LW, then perhaps they need a different RW (Ryan).

Ryan is a beast on faceoffs but could be used for just strong side draws, leaving Backlund to take the rest.

Backlund is also getting tossed frequently, so there's that.

Simon is listed as a C, could he not take #4C with Lucic and Leivo?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Ward was bound and determined to us Lindholm at C.

Whether that has worked is anyone's guess.

Strong performances up to the first Montreal game.

But little 5v5 scoring.

If Bennett is to stick on the 3rd line at LW, then perhaps they need a different RW (Ryan).

Ryan is a beast on faceoffs but could be used for just strong side draws, leaving Backlund to take the rest.

Backlund is also getting tossed frequently, so there's that.

Simon is listed as a C, could he not take #4C with Lucic and Leivo?

Im totally with you on this one.

I don’t get to listen to the fan 960 often, but I was listening today and was appalled at what Steiner was saying... trade Bennett PLUS retain half his salary for a 3rd rounder? RUFN kidding me? His argument was all about creating cap space. While cap space is important, unless you plan to use it it’s worthless. Plus, I’m not sure how many Canadian teams will be interested in trading with each other since they’re all in the same division, so assumedly, any player Calgary tries to acquire will have to sit out the 14 days before joining the team. 

Secondly, the talk about Bennett choosing the wing - let’s be honest with ourselves here. Bennett was given the option of 4C or playing wing higher in the lineup. No kidding he asked to play wing after he saw his 4th line linemates. 

In the offseason I liked Wardo’s idea of spreading the talent through the lineup. I still like Lindy at C, wouldn’t change it. Does Bennett supplant any of Lindy, Mony, or Backlund? (Well, Back’s interest level has been suspect to start this season, so I’m p’d with him), but the answer to the above is no, or not really. The issue I have is this. Yes, you made C deeper on this team, but the bottom 6 is a hole in the ground. The talent has to be spread throughout the lineup. And does Wardo care about chemistry? Geez. Keep Lucic-Benny-Dube together. Call them the 4th line if you want, I don’t care, all I know is they had chemistry and were dominant shift in and shift out, scoring goals, and their fancy stats were amazing too. 

Figure out if it’s Mangiapane or Simon with Mony and JH, and send the other guy to Tkachuk and Lindy. Ryan can play with Backlund and Leivo/Nordstrom (since Nordstrom’s game is defense only anyway). 

Roll 4 Good Lines. But I digress. Let’s pretend to change things while keeping them the same. Must burn pretty bad for Bennett to see 2 sub-million dollar players get extended looks with “the top 2 lines” while he got a shift here and there only. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I don’t get to listen to the fan 960 often, but I was listening today and was appalled at what Steiner was saying... trade Bennett PLUS retain half his salary for a 3rd rounder? RUFN kidding me? His argument was all about creating cap space. While cap space is important, unless you plan to use it it’s worthless. Plus, I’m not sure how many Canadian teams will be interested in trading with each other since they’re all in the same division, so assumedly, any player Calgary tries to acquire will have to sit out the 14 days before joining the team. 

I have listened to a couple of episodes of them.  I don;t know which is worse.

Some times you can't even listen.  Bunch of opinionated idiots.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

play center with 2 below average players or wing with a center like Backlund. 

pretty easy choice. 

Well I guess that’s the easy choice if you need someone to carry you. However, if you want the position, take what you are given and move up the food chain, if you can.

• 3 weeks later...

Bennet gets nothing but a raw deal, if he goes to another team you will see...  He just never stays on a line and plays too much on 3-4 lines, who the hell can score back there.. Coach's fault. I think he has some kind of an issue with Bennet. Put him on the first or second line and leave him there. Front of the net on PP.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well Bennett kind of did a PLD on his final shift before his benching.  Coasted back slowly and then didn't take his man in front of the net who scored against us.

Ward will probably not communicate to him and just give Bennett the silent treatment.

That’s fine but I really wish they would give him like 7 games with Tachuck and either Manji or Dube...probably Dube as he’s played RW for a Gio part of this season and also he has some chemistry with Bennett.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennett/Dube

Manji/Backlund/ Levino 

Lucic/Gaudwin or Ryan/Simon 

I just can’t shake the feeling moving Bennett to line 2 Ctr would give this team the better part of three solid lines that would be troublesome...not that there are many options for 3 line RW but maybe one of Levino or Simon may connect/hell with Backlund and Manji 

Come on Ward it’s time

to put your foolish pride aside and use the assets you have in a proper manner...also while your at it can you please adjust the defence to:

Hanifin/Tanev 

Valimaki/Andersson 

Gio/ Nesterov 

2 hours ago, dieselmarble said:

Sam played a good game, what the hell do they want out of this guy?? There is more than enough dead weight on the team to keep the coach busy, Bennett is not one of them.

Let me start with the first penalty he took.  Maybe a bad call, but it charted the course of the game.  Score 1-0.

On for 2 even strength goals against and 1 PP goal against in 14 minutes.

Mind you, at that point we were down 3-1.

Applaud him for showing some grit and fighting Khaira, but that was standing up for the early hit.

Bennett was not the worst, but he was nowhere near the best. 

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Let me start with the first penalty he took.  Maybe a bad call, but it charted the course of the game.  Score 1-0.

On for 2 even strength goals against and 1 PP goal against in 14 minutes.

Mind you, at that point we were down 3-1.

Applaud him for showing some grit and fighting Khaira, but that was standing up for the early hit.

Bennett was not the worst, but he was nowhere near the best. 

First let me start with the Penalty,, that was a clean hit no head shot , shoulder to shoulder, with not intent Sam was going for the puck at the same time.

ON the goals he did nothing wrong he played well, he just happened to be on the ice,, it happens. Just take a look at some of the high point holders and their plus minus

On the Fight i don't understand what you mean by. BUT that was standing up for the early hit... So what, most of the team would not have taken the fight because they are soft as ice cream, so there should be no BUT...

Bennett is not going to be the best player on the team, but who was good in that game?? Who stood out??

51 minutes ago, dieselmarble said:

First let me start with the Penalty,, that was a clean hit no head shot , shoulder to shoulder, with not intent Sam was going for the puck at the same time.

ON the goals he did nothing wrong he played well, he just happened to be on the ice,, it happens. Just take a look at some of the high point holders and their plus minus

On the Fight i don't understand what you mean by. BUT that was standing up for the early hit... So what, most of the team would not have taken the fight because they are soft as ice cream, so there should be no BUT...

Bennett is not going to be the best player on the team, but who was good in that game?? Who stood out??

I don't think it was a good game.  Adequate maybe.

On the unassisted McD goal, he won the race to the puck but didn't manage to touch the puck.  Fair he couldn;t do much there.

The next goal he was floating, not really covering anyone.  Came back to the circle, warched the play behind the net and waited there.

3rd goal was a bit of a broken play on the PK.  Halfway between Nuge and the other winger.   

Who stood out for me was Mangiapane.  There's not much positives you can say in a 7-1 loss.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think it was a good game.  Adequate maybe.

On the unassisted McD goal, he won the race to the puck but didn't manage to touch the puck.  Fair he couldn;t do much there.

The next goal he was floating, not really covering anyone.  Came back to the circle, warched the play behind the net and waited there.

3rd goal was a bit of a broken play on the PK.  Halfway between Nuge and the other winger.   

Who stood out for me was Mangiapane.  There's not much positives you can say in a 7-1 loss.

Yes I have to give Mangiapane his due, he does come to play. I'm disappointed with the team/organization as a whole.