Blockbuster: Hamilton Ferland Fox for Hanifin Lindholm

The_People1

If we were confident that Fox would be signing and we wouldn't have traded him, I would've been open to moving Andersson for a young RW. I know not a popular option, but I don't see a top pairing guy in him and would be ok with trading him for an equal young RW.

But that was all wishful thinking on my part, right now I have no interest in moving Andersson.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I get that. I just think some are underestimating the value of the players we got. Getting 21/23 year old players that we drafted top 5 and are playing/progressing well is expensive. 

My first impression was that we overpaid as well. But it's tough to gauge the market value from a forum and honestly adding Ferland/Fox isn't the end of the world. 

I think you also have to add in we were trading Hamilton this offseason. I think a few people knew this 'round here.

Part of the goal was to trade Hamilton, so undoubtedly BT got the best deal he could. Fox was hesitant to even talk contract so you have to move him. Ferland scores 20 because he's out of position with 2 stars.

I think too many are looking at this only on the surface, but there are reasons it was precisely these players we traded.

And it seems we now have a coach that ASKS Brodie which side he prefers, which he said he would.

BT's words were not hollow at the end of the season, he's done what he could get, but he was moving these players.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

At the pub!

Gio-Brodie

Hanafin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Kulak-Stone

Please, yes.

I have no issues with Kulak playing below Valimaki.

Means we have no room at all for Stone.  Waiver time biddy.  See you when we are down by 2D.

It's interesting because Peters likes his young D-men.  Wait, that didn;t sound right.

I think there's a good chance that Andersson is NHL all season, just because of what BP has already said and because he's better than Stone.

No point of Valimaki playing if he's the 7th or 8th guy here.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but he may be NHL ready.  

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Still wish they would have gotten more...

In that same interview was asked about Dougie, and a possible locker room issue or request ... hid it with a politically correct " i never get into discussions I've had with players".. but if you read between the lines, it sounds like he had asked for a trade 

2 minutes ago, Kiweh said:

https://twitter.com/KdotAnderson/status/1010607040043991040

Hope to see a Bennet/Backlund/Tkachuk 2nd line this year!

Tkachuk has said he doesn't care which side, which makes sense for how he plays.

I'd keep Backlund-Frolik together though, the chemistry is crazy good on possession.

Next rook for them to mentor: Mangiapane.

Bennett-Janks-Tkachuk.

I'd also try JG on the right, personally.

Janks-Mony-JG

Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangia-Backs-Frolik

Lots of different flavours to try.

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

In that same interview was asked about Dougie, and a possible locker room issue or request ... hid it with a politically correct " i never get into discussions I've had with players".. but if you read between the lines, it sounds like he had asked for a trade 

Hard to say. Treliving, as with most GMs, usually are not shy to mention when a player asks out as it deflects from them. However you have to wonder if hamilton said some comments that made Treliving question if flames were a fit. Could see him not wanting to play in a hockey market as he's someone that doestnt seem to follow the "standard". 

Either way way it's clear that played a part with both fox and hamilton as Treliving stressed wanting people who want to be here a couple times. Doesn't change my opinion of wanting more though 

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I'm open to,

Gaudreau - Jankowski - Lindholm

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Frolik - Backlund - BrouwerAnyone else please

Fixed it for you.

Sure it's an option, but why break up a pair that dominated.  Add to it.  Give them a C to take draws sometimes and a RHS for playmaking.

With Ferland out of the picture, you can concentrate on setting up better lines.

I would start with....

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Janko-Frolik

Worry about using the rest of the guys to make up a 4th line.   

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Hard to say. Treliving, as with most GMs, usually are not shy to mention when a player asks out as it deflects from them. However you have to wonder if hamilton said some comments that made Treliving question if flames were a fit. Could see him not wanting to play in a hockey market as he's someone that doestnt seem to follow the "standard". 

yup, i think it was Shannon today called him a "lone Wolf..  like the team would go for dinner.. he'd go to a museum.. always on his own 

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Tkachuk has said he doesn't care which side, which makes sense for how he plays.

I'd keep Backlund-Frolik together though, the chemistry is crazy good on possession.

Bennett-Janks-Tkachuk.

Janks-Mony-JG

Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangia-Backs-Frolik

That could still happen in certain game situations, remember Peters said he likes having certain pairs. I just think Frolik lost a bit of his offensiv game and hope that Backs and Chucky get a different linemate. Maybe it's an internal promotion or a signing/trade, remains to be seen.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Please, yes.

I have no issues with Kulak playing below Valimaki.

Means we have no room at all for Stone.  Waiver time biddy.  See you when we are down by 2D.

It's interesting because Peters likes his young D-men.  Wait, that didn;t sound right.

I think there's a good chance that Andersson is NHL all season, just because of what BP has already said and because he's better than Stone.

No point of Valimaki playing if he's the 7th or 8th guy here.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but he may be NHL ready.  

Valimaki is done in the CHL, ppg over the last 2 yrs, there's nothing left there for him.

He's dynamic, if BP likes young dmen, he's gonna love Vali-Andersson.

People will worry with 2 rooks as 3rd pair. If it's these 2, I'm not worried, at all.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Bennett-Janks-Tkachuk.

Janks-Mony-JG

Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangia-Backs-Frolik

I just want to call a line of Bennett/Backlund/Tkachuk the BBT Line!  (Boba/Bubble Tea Line!)  Sounds menacing!

hanafin < hamilton (although potential is about same is a "bit" of a risk, culture change?)

lindholm >> ferland (makes up for the risk on hanafin and more)

what else were we going to throw in to make trade even?

i would have been happy to come out on top, but 2 teams and both want what they want.

i am not happy it was fox, but only time will tell.

biggest thing now is ... what can we get them resigned/extended at? that will more clearly paint the picture of total cost.

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I found it funny how many times Tree called Dougie a good player and passes right over his character but doesn't hesitate to say what a great pro Ferlund is!

2 minutes ago, Kiweh said:

Really sounds like Hamilton had lots of off-ice issues..and made it clear he wanted a change.. at least we know Hanifan is buddies with Gaudreau and Tkachuk...definitely fits the locker room better!

yup, that was the quote I heard... and anyone reading my posts knows I was one of the biggest Dougie supporters on here, but .. if you dont want to be here then I dont care who you are .. cya.. cant get you out of here fast enough

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

yup, i think it was Shannon today called him a "lone Wolf..  like the team would go for dinner.. he'd go to a museum.. always on his own 

Wow! The museum! So terrible! Hahaha, that almost makes me like him now.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Fixed it for you.

Sure it's an option, but why break up a pair that dominated.  Add to it.  Give them a C to take draws sometimes and a RHS for playmaking.

With Ferland out of the picture, you can concentrate on setting up better lines.

I would start with....

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Janko-Frolik

Worry about using the rest of the guys to make up a 4th line.   

For the record, I have no idea why everyone seems to want to break up Backs-Frolik.

If the OHL line could become a thing (would need to give Johnny a snipe), I think after awhile that would cut the league like hot butter.

Perfect storm. 3 Top 6 Picks that came up through the O, smells like devastation to me.

But need to add Skinner or Patches types for Johnny.

Archived