Blockbuster: Hamilton Ferland Fox for Hanifin Lindholm

The_People1

1 minute ago, TrippinVdUb said:

There must be more then just smoke to the Dougie locker room rumors.

Maybe we are on of the 5 teams meeting with Tavares? 

They didn’t mention us, but maybe we can call after it and say we got Hanifin now. He can play with Lindholm.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, settling down. I just heard from my fellow board posters that Hamilton had this huge value. So I expected more in return. 

Now, does it make up for what we gave up to get him? The picks (possibly Barzal...) etc. Or can we not grade the whole thing on the past acquire?

Fully expect the story to be that Hamilton doesn't fit the culture and Fox wouldn't sign. 

However for me it still makes it tough to justify what they gave up.  This deal hinges completely on potential for me. Clearly the flames think both have more to give and if they are right they'll be fine but if they are wrong....

another point on ferland is he was a ufa next year so they do gain some control in Lindholm and Hanifin. 

Don't really wanna rush into judgement here. Last summer I was really excited about the Hamonic trade, thus far it hasn't panned out. I'm willing to be patient here.

Hamilton will be missed as will Ferland. I wish them both well. 

We all loved Hamilton's offensive flair, but lets not forget how many lazy penalties he took. A late penalty against the Ducks in the playoffs comes to mind. 

We sold high on Ferland, as a pending UFA he will get 3-4 next year, not sure we would be able to afford that

Don't really care for Fox, if you don't wanna be here then beat it.

Hanifin will be a stud. I heard he wants a 2 year bridge deal, but I really want BT to give him 8 if at all possible.

Lindholm looks like a decent player, obviously Peters likes him. If he's a 20-30 goal scorer, we're laughing.

Also wonder how much this has to do with how poorly we started after we brought in GG. Now we have 2 guys that know and understand what Peters wants, also if we sign Ryan there's yet another voice to help the coach get his message across. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Fully expect the story to be that Hamilton doesn't fit the culture and Fox wouldn't sign. 

However for me it still makes it tough to justify what they gave up.  This deal hinges completely on potential for me. Clearly the flames think both have more to give and if they are right they'll be fine but if they are wrong....

another point on ferland is he was a ufa next year so they do gain some control in Lindholm and Hanifin. 

and dont forget the fact that BP's biggest pet peeve is "lazy" penalties.. Hamilton and Bennett led the team

Until they get on the ice and play I'm gonna look at this being a "team" upgrade..

23 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I have no problem with the guys coming back, and I had Ferland as my number two to move right after Brodie. I have a problem with the return for Hamilton, and I don't like that Fox was added as well. Bob's saying that this increases the chances he'll sign, so maybe he didn't like Calgary:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Adam Fox will go back to Harvard this season for his junior year but this trade from CGY to CAR enhances the likelihood of him turning pro after this coming season.</p>&mdash; Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1010583560275800065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that Dougie would have brought back the most, however, and I think they could have done better than this. It doesn't address the right wing (maybe Lindholm plays there), and it depletes our right D. 

Maybe there's another trade in the works, and we don't see the whole picture yet. 

Love. 

I wouldn't say it depletes our RD but BT needs to focus on building up our options. We are likely better defensively with Hamilton gone and Hanafin added but we will need Andersson to answer the bell for us. Brodie could be next on the way out.

I hope I'm wrong on Hanifin and he is the stud some think. I hope this is a culture reset and it helps, I really do. 

At the end of the day I go back Tom what Friedman said the other day. "If we trade x, you'll see why". I don't need feel that way about this trade so I won't like it h til I'm proven wrong. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

How else do you shake up the room though? This wasn't Phaneuf for a bunch of extras. Lindholm and Hanifin are both already very good players and they are very young. 

It isn't like our D was spectacular last season. We had a lot of good prieces that didn't fit together. 

This trade was less about upgrading the pieces and more about upgrading the fit. That is the story and there isn't anything wrong with that. D that may be a better fit. RH shot forward that can play C and wing. Both under 23 years old. Those are big adds. 

Having Peters involved is a plus as well. He knows the players well. The Flames also scouted the heck out of Lindholm in the past. 

1 minute ago, waterwolf96 said:

How much cap space is opened up by this move.  I am thinking it gives us more cap space to get something else.  

Probably none. Hamilton and Ferland were about 7.2 mill. I supspext it's going to cost at least that to re sign both Hanifin and linholm. Both are RFAs that need deals. 

However they may gain some financial freedom long term given Ferland was a ufa next year and you can lock up Hanifin and Lindholm. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

How else do you shake up the room though? This wasn't Phaneuf for a bunch of extras. Lindholm and Hanifin are both already very good players and they are very young. 

It isn't like our D was spectacular last season. We had a lot of good prieces that didn't fit together. 

This trade was less about upgrading the pieces and more about upgrading the fit. That is the story and there isn't anything wrong with that. D that may be a better fit. RH shot forward that can play C and wing. Both under 23 years old. Those are big adds. 

Having Peters involved is a plus as well. He knows the players well. The Flames also scouted the heck out of Lindholm in the past. 

In theory I don't disagree. Like I said I just wanted more in teturn if Hamilton and fox were out the door. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

In theory I don't disagree. Like I said I just wanted more in teturn if Hamilton and fox were out the door. 

Agreed, we got two good players back, even though I'm not quite as high on Lindholm as some others. But IMO we overpaid for them, just like we did in the Hamonic trade.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Jankowski-Brouwer

Hathaway-Shore-Lazar

Mangiapane, Foo, Dube, Klimchuk 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Stone

Anderson, Kylington, Valimaki

Smith

Rittich 

Gilles 

Defence looks good, though I wouldn't mind seeing Stone moved out. Bottom 6 forward needs a lot of work. Hopefully we have one more trade left and get lucky in free agency. Goalie is scary, but barring something unexpected it is probably what we start the season with. 

2 minutes ago, sandman8610 said:

On the plus side we didn’t give up any more 1sts or 2nd round picks... 

It's key. The Flames needed to make a hockey trade and they did. Losing Fox is the exception, but again he probably wasn't going to sign. 

It's one of those times we just lack the info. If someone would have suggested this trade most would have been against it due to price (me included). But the fact the Flames did it means that Hamilton probably wasn't a fit in the room and Fox probably wasn't going to sign. 

Regardless. It was a hefty price with a lot of risk. But it was a hockey trade and it mixed up the room. Both things that had to happen. No way we can fire the coach and then go into the season with the same roster. The room needed some accountability. 

I’m excited for this season, however losing mike is bittersweet in all of this. One of my favorites since his junior days. 

Not losing any more picks is definitely huge, although what’s the concerns in that both of these guys are RFAs? 

Have we seen where we’re at cap space-wise?

Archived